• 391,993 Topics
• 22,136 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations for a carry weapon and holster  (Read 257 times)

sevenof400

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
Recommendations for a carry weapon and holster
« on: February 07, 2018, 05:58:36 pm »

I recently started the process to obtain a CCL, and this will be my first experience with handguns, holsters, etc.  I've read around a bit on the internet about general advice when purchasing a first weapon but I thought I would turn to the experienced here and ask a few questions if I might.

At this point, I am in the process of figuring out what handgun to buy, and what holster to use.  This weapon's primary use will be for protection, but I'd like to find a range to practice on (at).  I should add that I'd like to NOT drain the bank account doing all of this - but I have read many suggestions reminding that with handgun and holster purchases one gets what one pays for. 

Having said that, I suppose I'm looking at 9mm handgun options and at a recent visit I laid hands on various Glocks, Sig Sauer and (IIRC) Springfield 9mm handguns.  All of them felt fine to my hand (meaning they seemed comfortable) but I have yet to fire them (that's my next step for now).  Given that personal and family protection is the number 1 priority here, does a 9mm pack enough power for protection?  If the answer to that is yes, my next question is how economical is practicing with a 9mm?  On a quick search, it appears 9mm rounds run about 16-17 per round.  Is that consistent with purchasing experience in Arkansas?  (As a side note, I did receive a piece of advice about practice shooting - buy a .22 caliber pistol and do most of your shooting with it to practice and refine.  After that, move on to your chosen carry piece and practice with that...is this sound)? 

The other part of this purchase will have to do with a holster and from what I've read, there is a LOT of trial and error when it comes to holsters.  I'd like to minimize that if possible (again, trying to keep the financial outlay from being too much here) but having NEVER CCL carried before, I can see some trial and error is likely necessary.  I'm pretty sure I'll want to carry around the waist so that does narrow the holster range a bit.   

From a working budget standpoint, I'm guessing a handgun is going to be somewhere in the $450 - $500 range, a holster around $75 - and I've already finished the CCL course and application. 

What suggestions might anyone offer here?  Are there aspects I am not considering here that I should?
As I have been searching the internet, I've discovered there is NO shortage of advice and articles - but of course many of these come from someone trying to sell something. Can anyone recommend some useful resources online I should read?

Thanks for any advice offered.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 06:11:33 pm by sevenof400 »

Mr.Swine89

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Recommendations for a carry weapon and holster
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 10:21:37 pm »

You're asking a lot of great questions. 9mm is a great self defense round and there are a lot of options off ammo to use. Most 9mm handguns also will hold a larger amount of ammo than the larger .40S&W and .45ACP rounds. The guns that you looked at are all popular brands that make excellent weapons.

Since you are conceal carrying, you need to figure out 2 things: which weapon you think you can most easily conceal around your waist like you are wanting and which weapon you are most comfortable shooting. Your holster will determine a lot of this as well but buy the gun before the holster though bc the gun is the most important part.

Popular 9mm pistols from Glock, Springfield Armory, M&P, Canik, and Taurus are all great guns. Most companies have pistols in many different frame sizes, barrel lengths, safety features, and sights. It's all your preference. If you're a big guy, you can carry a larger gun. That could mean more ammo in the magazine or a longer, more accurate barrel.

I personally carry Springfield Armory XDS's in both 9mm and .45. They are small frame low capacity pistols that I am very comfy with and are very easy to conceal. I also have a Glock 32 and a Glock 17. They are smooth shooting, higher capacity guns that I struggle to conceal as well, but are equally as good. My wife has a Canik 9mm that is a great gun. It holds 15 rds and she loves it. I myself have not shot it a lot, but she is a deadeye with it.

M&P Shields are about the best going right now with both conceal ability and capacity. 

Holsters are another story. Blackhawk is the fancy name in holsters, but there are many more out there. If there is a local leathersmith in your area, they can usually customize whatever you would like.

I hope that I have helped a little. The .22 thing is a good idea for practice.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 11:20:17 am by Mr.Swine89 »

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 11:32:34 am »

Smith and Wesson M&P in 40 or 9mm
Glaco slide or paddle holster.

theFlyingHog

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 09:36:26 am »

The biggest thing Iíve found is you have to get something youíll actually carry. S&W M&P Shield is one of the best for being able to hide and itís not heavy, unless you want a micro pistol.
If youíre like me you arenít wearing suits every day. For jeans and T-shirtís I go with the shield and the versacarry

And they mag these great little mag holders

Junkyard Hog

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 07:48:03 pm »

The biggest thing Iíve found is you have to get something youíll actually carry. S&W M&P Shield is one of the best for being able to hide and itís not heavy, unless you want a micro pistol.
If youíre like me you arenít wearing suits every day. For jeans and T-shirtís I go with the shield and the versacarry

And they mag these great little mag holders

I bought a M&P Shield 9mm to carry.....its the most inaccurate gun Iíve ever shot.  I even sent it back to S&W. It was better after they worked on it....but not much.

Iíve since bought a Kimber Micro 9mm and like it 100x better.

theFlyingHog

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 02:56:36 pm »

I bought a M&P Shield 9mm to carry.....its the most inaccurate gun Iíve ever shot.  I even sent it back to S&W. It was better after they worked on it....but not much.

Iíve since bought a Kimber Micro 9mm and like it 100x better.
They def benefit from some APEX trigger love and will never be a tournament pistol.

sevenof400

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 07:28:09 pm »

Thanks to all of you who have posted your ideas here - there is definitely a lot to consider here.  The good thing here is I can take my time with this. 

One further question with respect to a holster - and belt - if I might.  Among the many areas where one does NOT want to scrimp (or so I've read) is the belt.  Getting a quality belt seems to be a must but one thing I am NOT clear on (yet) is this.  Many of the WB holsters I have read about seem to require the belt to be threaded through the holster.  That would seem to make removing them an act that clearly would not be discreet if I was about to enter a place where one could NOT concealed carry.  Are there waist band holsters made that attach onto the belt in such a way a person does NOT have to undo one's belt to remove a holster and weapon - or is that just the SOP when dealing with a concealed weapon? 

theFlyingHog

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 11:15:37 pm »

Thanks to all of you who have posted your ideas here - there is definitely a lot to consider here.  The good thing here is I can take my time with this. 

One further question with respect to a holster - and belt - if I might.  Among the many areas where one does NOT want to scrimp (or so I've read) is the belt.  Getting a quality belt seems to be a must but one thing I am NOT clear on (yet) is this.  Many of the WB holsters I have read about seem to require the belt to be threaded through the holster.  That would seem to make removing them an act that clearly would not be discreet if I was about to enter a place where one could NOT concealed carry.  Are there waist band holsters made that attach onto the belt in such a way a person does NOT have to undo one's belt to remove a holster and weapon - or is that just the SOP when dealing with a concealed weapon?
All of the ones I have,  that ďclipĒ over the belt, are difficult to remove. This is by design so you donít draw your weapon and have your holster still attached to it, and to keep it secure on your belt. I donít have any that thread through the belt that I can think of so no need to undo my belt but it still takes some work to get them off.

sowmonella

• I am the danger.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 04:55:53 pm »

Check out pricing on gunbuyer.com and others to get the best deal. I've got a 9mm Springfield Armory XDS 3.3".
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas