• 391,759 Topics
• 22,123 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's all about matchups  (Read 221 times)

Piglet

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
It's all about matchups
« on: February 04, 2018, 06:42:58 pm »

I watch a lot of SEC basketball games and I am always amazed at how a so-called "weaker" team can beat a good team in this league.  Home court is always an advantage, but the player matchups are another huge factor.  One player, that an opposing team has no answer for, can make a big difference in a game.

This year's Razorback team has some serious matchup problems on defense.  They struggle against teams with good ballhandlers that can easily defeat their traps.  They don't have a player who can lock down and stop a quick penetrating guard.  They don't have enough versatile players who can defend well in a switching man defense.

They also have similar problems on offense.  If the other team has 2 exceptional defenders that can take Barford and Macon out of their game, it's all over.

This team is not as well-rounded as I thought at the first of the year.  Their weaknesses have been exposed as they have gotten into conference play.  I am hoping the coaching staff can make the necessary adjustments and a couple of other players can elevate their game to overcome some of the problems.  If not this season is probably headed downhill. 

tncbg

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: It's all about matchups
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 06:51:28 pm »

Good point. Itís the coachís responsibility to recognize those match up problems and try to scheme against them. Waters took us apart in both games because we donít have the speed and quickness to stop him. They also scouted us well and left the fours open daring them to shoot. There are times when we have 3 out of the five on the floor who are almost no threat to score. Iím not suggesting that I have the answers, but Iím not paid to have them. That is the job of the coaching staff and they did not get it done yesterday.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas