Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Teams shooting lights out vs Ark, especially LSU

Started by HognotinMemphis, February 04, 2018, 09:57:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

So this far into the season, I conclude it is not teams getting lucky or being "on fire" when they play Arkansas. What is it then? Clearly, it is the defensive play of Arkansas. And sometimes the way the Hogs play offense contributes to easy, open transition shots for the opponent.

Take LSU for most recent example. As Wally points out in his article today, LSU game into the game shooting 29% from 3 range, 44% from field overall and 72% from FT line. Yesterday, they shot 50% from 3 on 30 attempts, 53% from the field and 91% from the line.

LSU had lost 5 of last 6 games. Arkansas comes in and shoots a higher % from the field that did LSU, has more FT attempts that did LSU and out rebounded LSU yet still lost by 8. Why? How? Getting outscored 45 to 9 from 3 pt land is the answer. Why did the Hogs, averaging 20 three point shots per game, attempt only 8 in yesterday's game?

To Mike Irwin, I want to say that this game was not an aberration for either LSU or for Ark. The only 2 games in SEC play that LSU has shot better than 47% from the field are both games vs Arkansas. That says a lot about the poor quality of Arkansas' defense and defensive strategy against LSU.

At 4-6 with 8 games remaining, a 4-4 finish seems probable given the schedule. Will 8-10 get the Hogs into the NCAAT?

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hogs run wild

there's no fire in this entire team. they seem to be too cool to make any kind of movement on defense or offense. it's a product of leadership, starting with anderson trickling down to the the seniors and to the rest of the players. gafford has that fire. i bet he doesn't put up with that mess next year on this team. as far as the tourney is concerned and our record, it also has to do with how we are playing at the end. are we trending up or down. i don't feel like we're in this year.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Poker_hog

Nolan's teams played bad half court offense/defense, but his team's made up for it in turnovers.  Mikes team's don't.  It's an outdated style of play.  There's only so much practice time.  You can't be good at everything. 
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Breems

Everyone agrees at this point that it's terrible defense and not luck.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Breems

Poker_hog

Quote from: Breems on February 04, 2018, 10:09:10 am
Oh, did they? Did they really?

Yes.  When teams handled our pressure and made it a half court game we didn't do well.

Breems

Quote from: Poker_hog on February 04, 2018, 10:12:31 am
Yes.  When teams handled our pressure and made it a half court game we didn't do well.

Final Four and National Championship teams do pretty much everything well.

Poker_hog

Quote from: Breems on February 04, 2018, 10:16:33 am
Final Four and National Championship teams do pretty much everything well.

You sure about that?  I don't remember us rebounding very well in most of nolans years. 

Letsroll1200

We are scoring the basketball but we're not stopping anybody. Teams look forward to playing the Hogs because you're going to get open looks.

HognotinMemphis

At the end of this season, assuming the Hogs finish 8-10 or 7-11 and do not make the NCAAT, I fully expect to hear most call for Anderson's firing. Then, I fully expect to hear the common response of, "who can we hire who is any better than Anderson?"
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HogBreath

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 04, 2018, 09:57:31 am
So this far into the season, I conclude it is not teams getting lucky or being "on fire" when they play Arkansas. What is it then? Clearly, it is the defensive play of Arkansas. And sometimes the way the Hogs play offense contributes to easy, open transition shots for the opponent.

Take LSU for most recent example. As Wally points out in his article today, LSU game into the game shooting 29% from 3 range, 44% from field overall and 72% from FT line. Yesterday, they shot 50% from 3 on 30 attempts, 53% from the field and 91% from the line.

LSU had lost 5 of last 6 games. Arkansas comes in and shoots a higher % from the field that did LSU, has more FT attempts that did LSU and out rebounded LSU yet still lost by 8. Why? How? Getting outscored 45 to 9 from 3 pt land is the answer. Why did the Hogs, averaging 20 three point shots per game, attempt only 8 in yesterday's game?

To Mike Irwin, I want to say that this game was not an aberration for either LSU or for Ark. The only 2 games in SEC play that LSU has shot better than 47% from the field are both games vs Arkansas. That says a lot about the poor quality of Arkansas' defense and defensive strategy against LSU.

At 4-6 with 8 games remaining, a 4-4 finish seems probable given the schedule. Will 8-10 get the Hogs into the NCAAT?

Coach Mike has revolutionized the game of basketball, his system makes all of our opponents improve dramatically.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

roothawg

Its easy to shoot good whem you find an open shot which is far to easy against our team

rude1

Another head scratcher amongst all the others is, that last year when behind the 8 ball he showed a willingness to try different defenses, went to using some different type of zones for change ups, it resulted in the team playing better defensively and throwing teams off offensively that resulted in the strong finish to make this tourney.

I guess Mike Anderson burned last years tape or something because he has stubbornly stuck with his switching man to man, trapping defense that his team is absolutely horrible at playing, and instead of watching film of what worked last season and replicating it this season, he has continued to roll that defense out there game after game without fail and wonders why his team isn't succeeding playing it.

Like most I have seen this movie for 7 seasons and believe it is time to take the program in a different direction.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Poker_hog on February 04, 2018, 10:21:18 am
You sure about that?  I don't remember us rebounding very well in most of nolans years.
Different time where the game was played and referred differently. It's like comparing the spread to the wing triple option in football
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Breems on February 04, 2018, 10:08:31 am
Everyone agrees at this point that it's terrible defense and not luck.
My question is why?

is lack of guard depth the reason for our sorry defense stretches?

LSU we have nobody on the floor or active on the bench that can guard Waters, so why would you not zone them? He is the biggest reason why they have drilled us. It's not his points it's his ability to breakdown our man and pressure, so why would you do it?

The last part is it is a pretty consistent theme for the past 4 or 5 seasons:
Some player gets out of a slump.
Some team gets out of a scoring slump
Some player hits an abnormal, season high, or record  amount of 3s
Some team hits an abnormal, season high, or record amount of 3s

Tejano Jawg

Good questions from H-in-M. Someone on the SEC Network yesterday thought we'd be 8-10 and still get in. I don't know...the hole we're digging seems to keep getting deeper.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

GoHogs1091

Teams shooting lights out against us all stems from the sieve/matador perimeter defense that we play.

Poor perimeter defense is a staple of a Mike Anderson coached team.

Hoggish1

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 04, 2018, 09:57:31 am

I see nothing probable with the remaining games.  4-4 would be a big stretch.  I'd say, based on Satuday's game that 2-6 is more probable.  That means 17-14 to end the season, which means the only way they get into the NCAA is to win the SEC tourney.

hogsanity

Quote from: rude1 on February 04, 2018, 02:56:22 pm
Another head scratcher amongst all the others is, that last year when behind the 8 ball he showed a willingness to try different defenses, went to using some different type of zones for change ups, it resulted in the team playing better defensively and throwing teams off offensively that resulted in the strong finish to make this tourney.

I guess Mike Anderson burned last years tape or something because he has stubbornly stuck with his switching man to man, trapping defense that his team is absolutely horrible at playing, and instead of watching film of what worked last season and replicating it this season, he has continued to roll that defense out there game after game without fail and wonders why his team isn't succeeding playing it.

Like most I have seen this movie for 7 seasons and believe it is time to take the program in a different direction.

Being forced to play zone just burns Mike's ego, so he just does not do it.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE