• 392,057 Topics
• 22,138 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reality Check  (Read 1111 times)

lynbug

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Reality Check
« on: February 03, 2018, 05:13:17 pm »

We have barely scraped by in our SEC wins by an average of 2.5 pts.  Whereas, our SEC losses have been convincing, sometimes even embarrassing.  We're probably lucky to be where we're at.  If not for some last minute heroics in our wins we could easily be wallowing around in the basement at 0-10.  But considering that we pinned our hopes on two Jucos and a promising freshman who is still adjusting.....we shouldn't be shocked.

farfromgroovins

• Varsity
Re: Reality Check
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 05:23:47 pm »

I guess we miss Hannahs and Moses more than I realized.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Beaverfever

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 05:34:24 pm »

I guess we miss Hannahs and Moses more than I realized.

We definitely miss Moses.  I think we miss Watkins as much as anybody.  I think he was the glue guy.  He was a tough kid who only cared about winning.  I donít know who that guy is on this team.

lynbug

• Senior
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 05:52:03 pm »

We definitely miss Moses.  I think we miss Watkins as much as anybody.  I think he was the glue guy.  He was a tough kid who only cared about winning. I donít know who that guy is on this team.
Several on this team seem to be losing their early-season identity .

Breems

• Gold Hogvillian
  • They grow up so fast
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 05:53:13 pm »

Clear indicator of terrible defense.

We either score enough to squeak out a win or get blown to bits.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 06:01:35 pm »

They've played some stinko games this season but this wasn't one of them. They shot 55% from the field. You don't often do that and lose. They lost because LSU hit an insane number of three pointers. Fifteen of thirty. They've been averaging less than half that. Before you say it was poor defense go back and look at those shots. A few of them were open looks but most were contested some of them were from five or six feet behind the arc.

LSU had lost five of its last six because it couldn't buy a basket. Today those guys were on fire and it wasn't just one player.

You're going to have games like this. The problem is they've laid too many eggs this season, like that idiotic performance they had at home against LSU.

TushCrush

• Senior
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 06:02:57 pm »

You're right ... lucky to be where we are. We are now "make a run or we done" in the late season rankings. And it would be nice to hit the SEC tournament on a run.
I laugh to myself because I know Mike won't change anything. I love him. He is one stubborn man.

jst01

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 06:09:05 pm »

They've played some stinko games this season but this wasn't one of them. They shot 55% from the field. You don't often do that and lose. They lost because LSU hit an insane number of three pointers. Fifteen of thirty. They've been averaging less than half that. Before you say it was poor defense go back and look at those shots. A few of them were open looks but most were contested some of them were from five or six feet behind the arc.

LSU had lost five of its last six because it couldn't buy a basket. Today those guys were on fire and it wasn't just one player.

You're going to have games like this. The problem is they've laid too many eggs this season, like that idiotic performance they had at home against LSU.

Good grief. Every loss somebody or team has an out of the ordinary performance. When it happens 75% of the time itís not bc the other team just had ďone of those gamesĒ, itís bc the Hogs let teams play without fear, offenses become deadly against this team.

TushCrush

• Senior
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 06:11:07 pm »

Before you say it was poor defense go back and look at those shots.
I have enjoyed watching replays of the games on the ESPN . Especially the last couple of games.
It made me think we weren't really as bad as many around here say. But I agree with you 100% ... nobody beats 15 out of 30 from three point land. The question to me is "What kind of team gives up three point shots like we did today."

Danny J

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 06:12:14 pm »

Good grief. Every loss somebody or team has an out of the ordinary performance. When it happens 75% of the time itís not bc the other team just had ďone of those gamesĒ, itís bc the Hogs let teams play without fear, offenses become deadly against this team.
Exactly...

rlreev01

• Senior
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 06:17:52 pm »

The best coach in Arkansas got away to Texas Tech. We let that one get away!!

rude1

• Razorback Basketball Another New Beginning....
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 06:27:15 pm »

I would buy this Mike until I realize how many teams or players have suddenly cured shooting ills when they face us. At some point it quits being the luck of the draw and becomes that we don't defend and we let  shooters get in a flow.

Capt. Hamm

• Hogvillian
  • Use the Force.
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 06:35:16 pm »

We suck.

HoginMemphis

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 06:38:43 pm »

They were not on fire. Ark's defense is worst in the country. Every team is on fire vs Ark. So much for Anderson's claim at his hiring back in 2011 that his teams would pick up the other team as they stepped off their bus.

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 06:39:07 pm »

The best coach in Arkansas got away to Texas Tech.
We kept the yin to that yang.

BigHog396

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 06:41:52 pm »

I would buy this Mike until I realize how many teams or players have suddenly cured shooting ills when they face us. At some point it quits being the luck of the draw and becomes that we don't defend and we let  shooters get in a flow.
And it happens consistently, every year.

If this was a one year thing, maybe you could try to use the excuse Mike's trying to use... problem is we have nearly seven full years of MA's history to show that this is a consistent problem with his pathetic excuse for a defensive philosophy.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 07:01:07 pm »

They were not on fire. Ark's defense is worst in the country. Every team is on fire vs Ark. So much for Anderson's claim at his hiring back in 2011 that his teams would pick up the other team as they stepped off their bus.
You must have watched a different game than I did. This team has looked lazy at times this season but today they were actually working hard on the defensive end. Again several of those three pointers were from downtown with a hand, sometimes two hands in the shooter's face. I've gone back and looked.

Otis

• Varsity
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 07:04:34 pm »

You must have watched a different game than I did. This team has looked lazy at times this season but today they were actually working hard on the defensive end. Again several of those three pointers were from downtown with a hand, sometimes two hands in the shooter's face. I've gone back and looked.

ďWorking hard on the defensive endĒ and yet we still give up 94 points.  Hmmmm, makes you think maybe itís a scheme problem? Perhaps?

Mike Irwin

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 07:05:14 pm »

The best coach in Arkansas got away to Texas Tech. We let that one get away!!
If he had been offered and taken the Arkansas job Beard would still have left for Texas Tech as soon as they offered. He wants to be in Lubbock and they love him there. Just one of those things.

hawg1221

• Senior
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 07:15:51 pm »

If you read between the lines, I think Mike is saying we lack the talent to play good defense, but what we do have plays really hard on defense. Beard is too short to defend the perimeter.

HoginMemphis

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 07:16:22 pm »

Mike, let's say you are 100% correct. Why is this always a common story for an Arkansas basketball game? Every opponent has someone raining 3's with 2 guys on him. Every opponent shoots 85% from the line against Ark when they avg 65% on the season. And on and on.

I assume it has something to do with the players and the coaching, am I right?

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2018, 07:42:17 pm »

but the early ones were not, and that is always the problem. They let teams get in a flow and once they are in the zone they just feel super confident.

Also, running at someone with a hand up is not the same as having a hand in their face.

HogBreath

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2018, 07:44:10 pm »

We definitely miss Moses.  I think we miss Watkins as much as anybody.  I think he was the glue guy.  He was a tough kid who only cared about winning.  I donít know who that guy is on this team.
Ain't got nairn.

HogBreath

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2018, 07:47:00 pm »

Yeah, and a bear would whip Mike's azz all over the place too.  The bear would NOT need any help.

Marshfieldhog

• Hogville.net
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2018, 07:47:48 pm »

3 point defense goes beyond just getting a hand in their face. Denying shooters the ball is the big deal.

Hawgphish

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2018, 07:49:23 pm »

It is almost lke he is trying to get fired.

Hawgitall

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 07:50:57 pm »

The coach canít put the ball in the hole for the players but other than that the coach has to manage the game. I donít really see that with the hogs. CMA should of be changing the defense and get out of the man to man when itís clear we canít guard them and the 3 ball and/or drive to bucket is killing them. It didnít change tonight until they did go to a zone in the 2nd half and that changed things. Al on the coach. Find the right combination of guys on the floor, stop pulling guys off t when they start heating up shooting. I donít claim to know the answers but some of the this is a no brainer. I was always thought guy CMA was the man for the job but 7 years of the road record is ridiculous.

TNhawgfan

• Jimmy G - A New Hope!
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 07:52:55 pm »

Players are working hard because Mike has them doubling and switching so much, they're running around chasing the ball. And an inordinate number of those 15 made threes were wide freaking open

mjsphd

• Varsity
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 07:55:28 pm »

Every opponent shoots 85% from the line against Ark when they avg 65% on the season. And on and on.

I assume it has something to do with the players and the coaching, am I right?

Yes.  Definitely need to improve the "free throw defense".

hogsgolfpro

• Varsity
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2018, 07:58:48 pm »

The reality check is that MA doesn't have enough belief in his players to have them get back, play D, and MAN UP. He makes them play full court to occasionally cause 10-15 turnovers because he has a belief it's going to generate points and tire other teams out....give me a break, those days are gone.. We gain nothing by our style but yet give up 10-15 unearned points a game in wide open layups, wide open 3's, and our bigs getting embarrassed after switching on screens...then we are more exhausted than the teams we play and go through droughts we can't dig out of.

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2018, 08:44:11 pm »

The reality check is that MA doesn't have enough belief in his players
Bet itís mutual.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas