• 391,849 Topics
• 22,130 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where do we go from here?  (Read 681 times)

Skandar Jackson

• All-American Hogvillian
  • HIS NAME IS MEACHAM. THAT'S ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW.
Where do we go from here?
« on: January 31, 2018, 07:59:41 pm »

Best I can tell we are losing about 55 some odd points per game this year with our graduating seniors.  I'm sure some of you eggheads will do the math and correct me.  I'd expect nothing less. 

We might get into the tournament.  We might not.  If we were going to make a run this would be the year with a senior heavy team.  Unless things change and we start playing better we probably aren't going to win any games in the tournament this year.  Next year we are going to be fairly young.  Might not be a bad thing but next year feels like a rebuilding year.   Very well could be another year like this.  A little above average.  Maybe we win a game in the tournament, maybe not.  8 years and probably still 2 possibly 3 wins in the tournament.  No way to tell where we might be the following year. 

Everybody but the haters and crybabies like Mike Anderson.  Do we ever say mediocre to above average isn't good enough or do we just keep muddling along? 

Joe says we are winning games, selling out Bud Walton (does Joe own stock in Bud Walton or the concessions or something?) and this is plenty good enough for him. 

I'm with Joe.  I've thought about it and I'm good with the way things are now.   Clean program.  Good guy.  20 win a year.  Better than having a bozo like Izzo or Calipari and sacrificing integrity for wins. 

You crybabies need to get behind this team. 

That's good enough for me and Joe.  Should be good enough for the rest of you.

BannerMountainMan

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Where do we go from here?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 08:04:18 pm »

Idk if you are being sarcastic or not but we haven't had this much recruiting talent from Arkansas come in a while and you would think they would all play with some extra fire coming from Arkansas (says Isiah Joe)

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 08:04:46 pm »

Best I can tell we are losing about 55 some odd points per game this year with our graduating seniors.  I'm sure some of you eggheads will do the math and correct me.  I'd expect nothing less. 

We might get into the tournament.  We might not.  If we were going to make a run this would be the year with a senior heavy team.  Unless things change and we start playing better we probably aren't going to win any games in the tournament this year.  Next year we are going to be fairly young.  Might not be a bad thing but next year feels like a rebuilding year.   Very well could be another year like this.  A little above average.  Maybe we win a game in the tournament, maybe not.  8 years and probably still 2 possibly 3 wins in the tournament.  No way to tell where we might be the following year. 

Everybody but the haters and crybabies like Mike Anderson.  Do we ever say mediocre to above average isn't good enough or do we just keep muddling along? 

Joe says we are winning games, selling out Bud Walton (does Joe own stock in Bud Walton or the concessions or something?) and this is plenty good enough for him. 

I'm with Joe.  I've thought about it and I'm good with the way things are now.   Clean program.  Good guy.  20 win a year.  Better than having a bozo like Izzo or Calipari and sacrificing integrity for wins. 

It might be good enough but then again, it might not be. I think that covers it.

WBOBO

• Hogvillian
  • Lefty- RIP #1 Hog Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 08:07:11 pm »

Now that all of the children are growing up

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 08:09:04 pm »

Seriously though, (even though I know this is not a serious thread) if CBB had gotten results equivalent to those of CMA on the football field he would still be here and probably gotten an extension.

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 08:11:38 pm »

Now that all of the children are growing up

If I promise you the moon and the stars would you believe it?

pigroots

• Senior
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 08:16:53 pm »

It's all about expectations. When Nolan was here the expectation was to win every game..home, road, or neutral court. Slowly the frog in the kettle has boiled and the expectations for our program are "we hope to win at home" and well let's try to win a couple of road games each year. Fewer care each year. Recruiting is the lifeblood of any program and we now consider the number 6 class…IN THE CONFERENCE…as good recruiting. My oh my the expectations are a changing! The conference is getting better and we will soon be near the bottom without some changes. CMA seems to be a great guy. BUT he has got to surround himself with some X and O guys if this is gonna work. He also needs a cracker jack recruiter. Our program and facilities should not be hard to sell to players. We should be the 2nd best program in the conference behind only Kentucky with all we have to offer with tradition and facilities. That's what I expect. Anything else is disappointing. This season is very disappointing with this senior laden team

urkillnmesmalls

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 08:41:12 pm »

I'm always on the side of the fence that is about continuity, loyalty, and giving time.  It's not a popular theme here, but Nolan won because he had EXCELLENT players, not because he was a phenonemal X and O guy.  We said the same things about his teams that lost, that we're saying about Mike's. 

I want to see how the team two years from now does.  I know that sounds kinda nuts, but hear me out. 

We're packing Bud Walton again, and the excitement at the home games has returned.  There was enough promise from last year's team almost beating the eventual NC's, that the people are interested again.  Prospective recruits see that, desire that, and that leaves MA with ZERO excuses for not getting in some top talent.  The table is set. 

By all accounts, we should have some ace classes coming in the next two years, and Gafford should continue to improve.  He may leave after next year, but we'll see.  He'll have a long way to go over this year to be a high pick. 

I view next year as a rebuilding year, because we don't have anyone pegged to make up the scoring from Barford and Macon.  So...I'm giving it until the 2019-2020 season before I can say definitively that MA is not a good enough coach for the UA. 

That will NOT keep me from being critical, or being complimentary.  Right now, I am befuddled by how we are playing, and the top rung of the ladder for me is our inability to front dribblers, and play tight defense.  Without that...there's no way we succeed, because MA's whole system is predicated on that.  It's no coincidence that teams shoot so well against us, and players have career scoring nights.       

rude1

• Razorback Basketball Another New Beginning....
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 08:43:23 pm »

With this team, who knows? They are so erratic that we are this far into the season and it's nearly impossible to get an idea of who or what they are.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 08:56:21 pm »

With this team, who knows? They are so erratic that we are this far into the season and it's nearly impossible to get an idea of who or what they are.

I think it's as simple as them taking more pride in playing defense.  I really do.  We've learned that we have much more severe limitations on offense than we thought we would, with Barford and Macon being the only consistent threats, but I still think with really strong defense, we would look like a different team.  I think one of the issues is...there's not anyone out there to score at all when we don't have Macon or Barford out there, which means we really can't wholesale substitute and play great defense, and get rewarded for it. 

Smalltownhog95

• Varsity
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 10:01:09 pm »

If you arent competing for nattys or trying to build the program to that level theres no point in playing ball. We're about to have to cross a bridge with Mike. He's either going to pull it together and adjust, or be stubborn and waste good recruiting classes and lose a big chunk of the fan base. The clock is ticking. Something is going to give.

TheOtherColombia

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net, comedic gold!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 10:12:32 pm »

For all of you folks saying Gafford isn't going to leave...remember that almost every year there is a transfer that would/should have been a contributor had they just stuck around.  Jimmy Whitt, Nick Babb, Brachen Hazen are a couple of names that come to mind.  Could a Gafford and/or Jones be those guys this year?  I think Gafford has NBA potential, has Mike or his staff shown that they are able to improve players in any meaningful way to help them get to the NBA during his tenure?  Has he or his staff shown the ability to improve the skills and fundamentals of big men during his tenure?  If you have NBA potential, do you think Arkansas is the best place to show case that ability or grow that ability, especially if you are a big man...just something to think about.

BannerMountainMan

• Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 10:22:56 pm »

For all of you folks saying Gafford isn't going to leave...remember that almost every year there is a transfer that would/should have been a contributor had they just stuck around.  Jimmy Whitt, Nick Babb, Brachen Hazen are a couple of names that come to mind.  Could a Gafford and/or Jones be those guys this year?  I think Gafford has NBA potential, has Mike or his staff shown that they are able to improve players in any meaningful way to help them get to the NBA during his tenure?  Has he or his staff shown the ability to improve the skills and fundamentals of big men during his tenure?  If you have NBA potential, do you think Arkansas is the best place to show case that ability or grow that ability, especially if you are a big man...just something to think about.
Did you just say Gafford might transfer?? Hahahah I think I've heard it all. It looks like it all went well for Malik Monk and Archie Goodwin LOL

TheOtherColombia

• Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 10:29:18 pm »

Did you just say Gafford might transfer?? Hahahah I think I've heard it all. It looks like it all went well for Malik Monk and Archie Goodwin LOL

It did go well for them, they are NBA multi millionaires...are you?  I am simply pointing out that every year some player gets frustrated and leaves.  Gafford could fit that bill this year.  They have all but stopped utilizing him except for the Missouri game, he has regressed since the beginning of the season.  I am sure he has NBA aspirations, someone gets in his ear it is totally possible. 

BannerMountainMan

• Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 10:39:00 pm »

It did go well for them, they are NBA multi millionaires...are you?  I am simply pointing out that every year some player gets frustrated and leaves.  Gafford could fit that bill this year.  They have all but stopped utilizing him except for the Missouri game, he has regressed since the beginning of the season.  I am sure he has NBA aspirations, someone gets in his ear it is totally possible.
he is like #12 on the big draft board I think he knows he's on good shape. It is not they stopped utilizing him, he got freaking shut down against Georgia and against Texas A&M he can't do anything against guys that are 25 pounds heavier than him.

TheOtherColombia

• Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 10:45:54 pm »

he is like #12 on the big draft board I think he knows he's on good shape. It is not they stopped utilizing him, he got freaking shut down against Georgia and against Texas A&M he can't do anything against guys that are 25 pounds heavier than him.

What board are you looking at?  I cannot find him even listed in a mock draft, I think you got some bad information buddy. 

BannerMountainMan

• Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 10:49:36 pm »

What board are you looking at?  I cannot find him even listed in a mock draft, I think you got some bad information buddy.
got moved down after his last few bad games..my bad

TheOtherColombia

• Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2018, 10:51:57 pm »

That ain't 12...never heard of that site.  I like nbadraft.net myself, and he is nowhere to be found on their consensus board.  Huge difference between 12 (lottery pick) and 17. 

TheOtherColombia

• Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 10:54:52 pm »

Interesting site, they have Jontay Porter listed.  I wouldn't draft him at all, that kid is not his brother in any way.  He is a good ball player, but no where near NBA ready. 

rzrbkman

• Varsity
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2018, 06:51:01 am »

I wished CMA could get the roster evened out as far as years of eligibility left. This is not the 1st time there will be an upcoming season in which there will be no seniors on the roster after having several the previous season. There needs to be more of a balence.

cram224

• Varsity
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2018, 07:26:32 am »

I wished CMA could get the roster evened out as far as years of eligibility left. This is not the 1st time there will be an upcoming season in which there will be no seniors on the roster after having several the previous season. There needs to be more of a balance.
Why is it other schools can rely on freshman year after year and stay in the top 20? Yet, Arkansas has to wait 3 or 4 years for the players to develop. I'm sick and tired of hearing about rebuilding next year. Mike Anderson has recruited his on problems. All I heard was this years class of freshman was his best ever. Tell me right now what freshman has made an impact. The only people that thinks very high of next years class is the recruiting guru's here on hogville. It's funny how wrong hogville has been on projecting talent. Do y'all go watch these kids play are just watch there highlight tape. I truly believe that MA has given players a scholarship just to fill a spot.

BannerMountainMan

• Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 07:40:22 am »

Why is it other schools can rely on freshman year after year and stay in the top 20? Yet, Arkansas has to wait 3 or 4 years for the players to develop. I'm sick and tired of hearing about rebuilding next year. Mike Anderson has recruited his on problems. All I heard was this years class of freshman was his best ever. Tell me right now what freshman has made an impact. The only people that thinks very high of next years class is the recruiting guru's here on hogville. It's funny how wrong hogville has been on projecting talent. Do y'all go watch these kids play are just watch there highlight tape. I truly believe that MA has given players a scholarship just to fill a spot.
must be doing a good job to be in the top 35 out of 300 teams by just throwing people in sports to fill a roster

Peter Porker

• Love God. Love Others. It's that simple.
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2018, 08:15:52 am »

must be doing a good job to be in the top 35 out of 300 teams by just throwing people in sports to fill a roster

YAY! We are Top 35!!!!!!!

pigroots

• Senior
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 08:23:42 am »

I'm not worried about being ahead of Mercer, Louisiana Monroe, and the likes of those D1 teams. I am concerned we are behind 6-7 other teams in our conference with the prospects of next year being a rebuilding year. We've been rebuilding for what seems like forever with occasional flashes of possibility to improve. I'm ready to see consistent improvement in a competitive conference

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2018, 08:26:49 am »

Get back and keep winning as much as you can till they set the Big Dance.

razorpimp

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2018, 08:41:29 am »

Isn't every year a rebuilding year under Mike?  Sure does feel like it

cram224

• Varsity
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2018, 08:57:37 am »

Are you saying a top 35 is good enough for you? As we speak if we get into the NCAAT it will be as a 9 seed. That's top 36, you happy? This on paper is one of MA's best teams. Being a bubble team is the new ceiling for Razorback fans. Please tell me what is your expectations?

We always hear what a dumpster fire Ark was when MA became coach. Yes the APR was bad, however MA brought in his first year what every recruiting guru on hogville thought was a great class, Pel had them committed. He has brought in at least 3 recruits each year. His entire starting five could have turned over in year 2. Now of MA supporters all use the excuse it takes a year or longer to learn MA's system. Really, learn his system. Are we recruiting players with little basketball IQ? Mike is recruiting his on problems, recruit 3 HS player then fill in with transfers. They are transfer's for a reason.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas