Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs Drop to 1-5 in Road Games This Season

Started by Drew Amman, January 30, 2018, 11:26:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cityhog

Oliver

Quote from: cityhog on January 30, 2018, 11:30:34 pm
This is the norm. Not the exception.

I was going to say that "sloppy effort" should just be referred to as "effort" when describing a Mike Anderson coached team

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: Oliver on January 30, 2018, 11:32:08 pm
I was going to say that "sloppy effort" should just be referred to as "effort" when describing a Mike Anderson coached team
You did it now..Razorback Mack gonna get you for that comment!
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

tkclark

For his career at Ark, Anderson is around 34-35% wins on games outside of Arkansas (I say that to include the few Little Rock games).  At that clip we will never be a high seed (4 or above) and will never advance very far in the tourney.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

WillsWorld

Mediocre Mike has never been able to win on the road. It's been his forte for the past 7 years except for 2 seasons. I'll never understand why his teams fail so badly on the road.

40MINSOFHELL

phadedhawg

Winning on the road in basketball is harder than in football or so it seems.  Still, that being said, the manner in which we've lost, speaks to dysfunction more so than Ws and Ls alone.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: tkclark on January 30, 2018, 11:34:39 pm
For his career at Ark, Anderson is around 34-35% wins on games outside of Arkansas (I say that to include the few Little Rock games).  At that clip we will never be a high seed (4 or above) and will never advance very far in the tourney.
And they never have in 6 seasons under Anderson. 2 NCAAT trips, 1-1 each time. That's going to be it for Arkansas under Anderson. 7 to 9 seed. Lose in 2nd round at best.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Cotton

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 02, 2018, 08:40:12 am
And they never have in 6 seasons under Anderson. 2 NCAAT trips, 1-1 each time. That's going to be it for Arkansas under Anderson. 7 to 9 seed. Lose in 2nd round at best.
Ole Middle of the Road Mike... we already know who he is.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 02, 2018, 08:40:12 am

But he has done better in the NCAA tournament at Missouri and UAB, guess that tells you how far the program had fallen here.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 02, 2018, 09:03:48 am
But he has done better in the NCAA tournament at Missouri and UAB, guess that tells you how far the program had fallen here.

I'm sure it does tell you that. 

UAB in the seasons leading up to Mike:

18-14 NIT
21-12 NIT
20-12 NCAAT
14-14
17-14
13-17

Mizzou

18-13 NCAAT
20-13 NCAAT R2
24-12 E8
22-11 R2 - Mizzou placed on 3 years probation
16-14 NIT
16-17
12-16 - finished with Watkins as interim because Snyder resigned

ARK

9-19
12-16
18-12
22-10 NCAAT
21-14 NCAAT
23-12 NCAAT
14-16
14-18
18-13

To make a somewhat equal comparison, over the 6 seasons before he got the job at each place, UAB avg 17 wins a season, Mizzou 18.3 wins a season and Arkansas 18.67. 

UAB he could get in more JC reaches due to lower academic standards and his tweeners athletes could be more effective in their mid major conference.

Mizzou had players who would have been Hogs had MA been at Arkansas.  2008-9 may have happened here.  Not so much due to his recruiting prowess but connections.  Timing didn't work out for us. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Cotton

Quote from: FineAsSwine on February 02, 2018, 09:03:48 am
Or it shows you the game is changing and Mike is still in the 90s.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 02, 2018, 09:28:59 am

18-14 NIT
21-12 NIT
20-12 NCAAT
14-14
17-14
13-17

Mizzou

18-13 NCAAT
20-13 NCAAT R2
24-12 E8
16-14 NIT
16-17

ARK

9-19
12-16
18-12
22-10 NCAAT
21-14 NCAAT
23-12 NCAAT
14-16
14-18
18-13

To make a somewhat equal comparison, over the 6 seasons before he got the job at each place, UAB avg 17 wins a season, Mizzou 18.3 wins a season and Arkansas 18.67. 

UAB he could get in more JC reaches due to lower academic standards and his tweeners athletes could be more effective in their mid major conference.

Mizzou had players who would have been Hogs had MA been at Arkansas.  2008-9 may have happened here.  Not so much due to his recruiting prowess but connections.  Timing didn't work out for us.
+1 great post

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

daprospecta

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 02, 2018, 09:28:59 am

18-14 NIT
21-12 NIT
20-12 NCAAT
14-14
17-14
13-17

Mizzou

18-13 NCAAT
20-13 NCAAT R2
24-12 E8
16-14 NIT
16-17

ARK

9-19
12-16
18-12
22-10 NCAAT
21-14 NCAAT
23-12 NCAAT
14-16
14-18
18-13

Since when did connections not equal recruiting prowess.  How do you think some of these coaches get players? That's why you want Randy Shannon on our sidelines because he has connections in Florida.  We are at a tough spot right now and that is on Mike but can we not just spew comments that make no sense?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: daprospecta on February 02, 2018, 10:36:43 am
Since when did connections not equal recruiting prowess.  How do you think some of these coaches get players? That's why you want Randy Shannon on our sidelines because he has connections in Florida.  We are at a tough spot right now and that is on Mike but can we not just spew comments that make no sense?

Randy Shannon have a nephew that can transfer in and make us a NY6 bowl team? 

The timing worked for Mike to have players Carroll, the Presseys and Bowers at Mizzou while he was there.  Had he been at Arkansas, they would have been Hogs. 

Was what he did at Mizzou replicable? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

daprospecta

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 02, 2018, 10:47:23 am
Randy Shannon have a nephew that can transfer in and make us a NY6 bowl team? 

The timing worked for Mike to have players Carroll, the Presseys and Bowers at Mizzou while he was there.  Had he been at Arkansas, they would have been Hogs. 

Was what he did at Mizzou replicable? 
So he was just lucky right? Just like he was lucky at UAB and in 2014-2015 and last year? Give it a rest. He can recruit. No, he isn't a great recruiter but a good one.  We lost Reggie Perry and we didn't fill his spot with a reach.  It's hilarious that when Mike's teams does something good, it hasn't nothing to do with Mike. It's just all luck but when his teams lose, it's all on him.  There is never a solid discussion here like "Mike needs to fix the offensive lulls we go through". Only thing you see here is "We can't shoot!" or "He can't recruit". 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: daprospecta on February 02, 2018, 10:56:46 am
So he was just lucky right? Just like he was lucky at UAB and in 2014-2015 and last year? Give it a rest. He can recruit. No, he isn't a great recruiter but a good one.  We lost Reggie Perry and we didn't fill his spot with a reach.  It's hilarious that when Mike's teams does something good, it hasn't nothing to do with Mike. It's just all luck but when his teams lose, it's all on him.  There is never a solid discussion here like "Mike needs to fix the offensive lulls we go through". Only thing you see here is "We can't shoot!" or "He can't recruit".

You are bringing "lucky" into this.  I didn't.  I use the word timing to describe part of what happened at Mizzou. 

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: WillsWorld on January 31, 2018, 11:06:26 am
Mediocre Mike has never been able to win on the road. It's been his forte for the past 7 years except for 2 seasons. I'll never understand why his teams fail so badly on the road.

Same story at Mizzou. They popped champagne when he left
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

daprospecta

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 02, 2018, 10:59:57 am
You are bringing "lucky" into this.  I didn't.  I use the word timing to describe part of what happened at Mizzou. 

Ok, so did timing play a role in his other successful seasons with other teams?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: daprospecta on February 02, 2018, 11:17:21 am
Ok, so did timing play a role in his other successful seasons with other teams?

At UAB, not on the surface.  He was able to get players in there that couldn't at Arkansas like Eddins.  But I wouldn't say timing was at play.  The system worked there.  It's what it was originally designed to do.  Allow undersized, underdogs a chance to compete with defense, pace and depth.  Nolan blended it with McD AA's and other talent to have tremendous success at the highest level.  Mike is a great fit at the mid majors.  Qualls, Bailey, Jones type players with small quick guards.  Go 10 deep with interchangeable players.  Worked in CUSA.  Worked against Tubby's halfcourt defensive minded Cats in the NCAAT.  Not seeing anything like it at Arkansas. 

rude1

Well at least we are balanced this year, we don't play well at home either......

hogsanity

Quote from: daprospecta on February 02, 2018, 10:56:46 am

Again, my issues with Mike is they are losing now the same way they did in his 1st year here. The players are different, the only constant is Mike.

Call it luck, timing, Providence, or whatever but it does play a roll. Suppose Portis is not born in AR, do you think Mike still gets him? Same for Macon, Dusty? At Mizzu, if his best players were not kids of friends or family, would he have still gotten them?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Cotton

Quote from: hogsanity on February 02, 2018, 11:51:30 am
Again, my issues with Mike is they are losing now the same way they did in his 1st year here. The players are different, the only constant is Mike.

Call it luck, timing, Providence, or whatever but it does play a roll. Suppose Portis is not born in AR, do you think Mike still gets him? Same for Macon, Dusty? At Mizzu, if his best players were not kids of friends or family, would he have still gotten them?
Not to mention the big names that came out of Arkansas that he couldn't get even throwing the boat at them

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

daprospecta

Quote from: Cotton on February 02, 2018, 12:08:30 pm
Not to mention the big names that came out of Arkansas that he couldn't get even throwing the boat at them
Quote from: hogsanity on February 02, 2018, 11:51:30 am

You guys have an excuse for all of Mike's successes.  I'm done.

Cotton

Quote from: daprospecta on February 02, 2018, 01:11:26 pm
You guys have an excuse for all of Mike's successes.  I'm done.
BRB looking for the "successes" you're talking about.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

daprospecta

Quote from: Cotton on February 02, 2018, 01:13:32 pm
BRB looking for the "successes" you're talking about.
So winning a national championship is the only time a season is a success? Define it for me sir.

hawganatic

Quote from: daprospecta on February 02, 2018, 01:29:22 pm
So winning a national championship is the only time a season is a success? Define it for me sir.

Who said anything about winning a National Championship?  But I don't think any of us thought in year 7 of Mike's tenure we'd be this bad on the road, and limping into the tournament (if we still make it).

Is our current situation acceptable to you?

rljjr

Funny to me that a guy who IS a Nolan protege and who lived the life with him doesn't have any passion or fire about him. The team plays up to his level of fire, especially on the road.

The Hogs CAN play defense, as evidenced by the second half of the OSU game. Why they choose not to is beyond me.

Nolan's system didn't need a team great at rebounding because they could force enough turnovers with PRESSURE defense to make up and surpass that. Mike's guys don't play pressure Defense so the rebounding disadvantage is more obvious.

Even on nights when shots aren't falling our team should play defense well enough to keep us in it.

Mike has no heart in the game -- or so it appears. Nolan made a point to his players when they weren't playing well or when the officials were sucking to get himself a T. He had no problem being heard in a screaming arena.

Cotton

Quote from: daprospecta on February 02, 2018, 01:29:22 pm
Nobody said anything like that. 

How many SEC Titles? 0
NCAAT appearances? 2
How many tournament wins? 2
Round of 32 wins? 0

YEAR                                  REC         CONF         POST
2011–12   Mike Anderson   18–14   6–10    9th   N/A
2012–13   Mike Anderson   19–13   10–8    7th   N/A
2013–14   Mike Anderson   22–12   10–8    5th   NIT Second Round
2014–15   Mike Anderson   27–9           13–5    2nd   NCAA Second Round
2015-16   Mike Anderson   16-16   9-9    9th   N/A
2016-17   Mike Anderson   25-10       12-6 T-3rd NCAA Second Round
2017-18   Mike Anderson      ?      ?        Doubtful

Point out the part that is "successful" in your eyes.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

daprospecta

Quote from: hawganatic on February 02, 2018, 01:37:09 pm
Who said anything about winning a National Championship?  But I don't think any of us thought in year 7 of Mike's tenure we'd be this bad on the road, and limping into the tournament (if we still make it).

Is our current situation acceptable to you?
Acceptable? Yes. Preferred? No.  I think we make the tourney. If we make the tourney 3 out of the last four years, I find that acceptable because anything can happen in the tourney.  We have guys like Beard and Thompson who have been to the tourney three times and this will be Cook,Macon,Barford,Jones and Bailey's second appearance.  It happens every year, a team no one really expects makes a run. USC-e was one of those teams last year.  It's way too early to count this team out. 

daprospecta

Quote from: Cotton on February 02, 2018, 03:32:36 pm
Nobody said anything like that. 

How many SEC Titles? 0
NCAAT appearances? 2
How many tournament wins? 2
Round of 32 wins? 0

YEAR                                  REC         CONF         POST
2011–12   Mike Anderson   18–14   6–10    9th   N/A
2012–13   Mike Anderson   19–13   10–8    7th   N/A
2013–14   Mike Anderson   22–12   10–8    5th   NIT Second Round
2014–15   Mike Anderson   27–9           13–5    2nd   NCAA Second Round
2015-16   Mike Anderson   16-16   9-9    9th   N/A
2016-17   Mike Anderson   25-10       12-6 T-3rd NCAA Second Round
2017-18   Mike Anderson      ?      ?        Doubtful

Point out the part that is "successful" in your eyes.

I think 2014-2015 and 2016-2017 were successful seasons.  Were they great? No, but they played to their potential.  They didn't get upset in the tourney. They lost to UNC in 2015 that had three NBA players on it who are still in the NBA today and they lost last year to the eventual champions.  It was a bad draw in both instances.  Lets talk results. The last 2 out of three years we have made the round of 32.  If you want to replace him, you don't replace him with a coach who might make the sweet 16. No point in that. 

Texas is a perfect example of a fanbase like ours in basketball. They had a coach that made the tourney but only had two deep runs. They fire him and hire Shaka Smart.  What do they have now? A coach who is in his third year and will limp into the tourney this year and and got bounced the first game in the one tourney he has made. You are not replacing Mike with a coach that will get better results consistently. I care about wins and losses.  If you are wanting another coach to simply see our team run set plays, you can miss me with that. Unless you are getting Bill Self, Coach K, Brad Stevens, Mark Few, Coach K or Tom Izzo, you are taking an unnecessary gamble.

HogBreath

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on February 02, 2018, 11:15:11 am
Same story at Mizzou. They popped champagne when he left

Mike's team didn't really tear it up in the Big 12 during his glorious time there, his best finish was 3rd place, every other year was 5th place or worse, as bad as 10th.  His last team won 23 games, Haith took the same team and won 30 right out of the gate.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Quote from: daprospecta on February 02, 2018, 03:58:27 pm
I think 2014-2015 and 2016-2017 were successful seasons.  Were they great? No, but they played to their potential.  They didn't get upset in the tourney. They lost to UNC in 2015 that had three NBA players on it who are still in the NBA today and they lost last year to the eventual champions.  It was a bad draw in both instances.  Lets talk results. The last 2 out of three years we have made the round of 32.  If you want to replace him, you don't replace him with a coach who might make the sweet 16. No point in that. 

Texas is a perfect example of a fanbase like ours in basketball. They had a coach that made the tourney but only had two deep runs. They fire him and hire Shaka Smart.  What do they have now? A coach who is in his third year and will limp into the tourney this year and and got bounced the first game in the one tourney he has made. You are not replacing Mike with a coach that will get better results consistently. I care about wins and losses.  If you are wanting another coach to simply see our team run set plays, you can miss me with that. Unless you are getting Bill Self, Coach K, Brad Stevens, Mark Few, Coach K or Tom Izzo, you are taking an unnecessary gamble.
I do agree those seasons were a "success." The problem is, our successful seasons now would have been bad seasons in the 90s.

JEMG3dogs