Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UAPB Golden Lions atop SWAC after 7th straight victory

Started by Seminole Indian, January 25, 2018, 07:50:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

HOUSTON, Texas - Following a 74-72 thriller over Texas Southern University, the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff Golden Lions won a seventh straight Southwestern Athletic Conference game. With a perfect 7-0 record, it sits atop the SWAC, with Jackson State currently in second place at 6-1. Jackson State visits UAPB on Monday, January 29.

The Golden Lions handed TSU its first home loss in 27 games dating back to February of 2015.

Despite starting off 0-for-10 from the field, junior guard Martaveous McKnight eventually hit the game-tying three-pointer along with the go-ahead free throw with just seconds remaining. He currently leads the SWAC in scoring (SWAC games only) at 24.4 points per game. This week, he took home three awards including SWAC Madness Player of the Week, SWAC Men's Basketball Player of the Week (his 3rd one) and Boxtorow National Player of the Week. He ranks eighth in the conference in field goal percentage (48.5 percent), sixth in defensive rebounds (4..4), second in assists per game (5.3), first in steals (2.9), first in three-point percentage (50 percent), first in three-pointers made (2.7) and first in assist-to-turnover ratio (2.52).

""Thank God for allowing me to play this game that I love so much," said McKnight. "Shout out to my team and my supporters for making this possible."

Charles Jackson was on fire and tied a game-high with 25 points on 6-of-14 shooting from the field to go along with four 3-pointers against the Tigers. He missed just one free throw all night, shooting 10-for-11 from the charity stripe. Jackson also grabbed seven boards and dished out two assists in the victory while fellow Golden Lion Trent Steen finished with 14 points, nine boards, four blocks in 23 minutes. McKnight finished with 14 points on 3-of-15 shooting from the field and had four assists to go along with three rebounds. He was 6-for-8 from the foul line.

UAPB returns to action on Saturday, January 27 as it hosts Grambling State University in Pine Bluff. Tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m. at H.O. Clemmons Arena. The theme is "Pack the House" as fans, students and alumni are encouraged to wear black.

http://www.uapblionsroar.com/news/2018/1/24/mens-basketball-uapb-golden-lions-atop-swac-after-7th-straight-victory.aspx
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne