Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

April 18, 2024, 12:28:10 am

Maten

Started by EastexHawg, January 24, 2018, 09:00:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

The announcers kept talking about his NBA future.  I didn't realize the league is looking for guys with virtually no offensive skills.  How many points did he score that weren't on put backs or free throws?  Does anyone really think he's going to be effective in the league with that game? 

He and the other big man, the guy with the African name, are two of the worst shooters anyone will ever see.  I continue to be amazed and appalled by the fact that basketball players at this level can't shoot the ball.  It's the most basic of all skills.

BannerMountainMan

I'm glad Shaq could shoot the lights out
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

EastexHawg

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 24, 2018, 09:02:38 pm

Shaq would roll Maten up and smoke him like a cigar.  Shaq shot well over 60% in the NBA playing against Olajuwon, Ewing, and David Robinson.  Maten is shooting something like 46% in this year's SEC.

His offensive game, if you want to call it that, sucks.

EastexHawg

Actually, let me correct myself.  Shaq "only" shot over 60% four times in the NBA and 58% for his career.  He did, however, shoot 61% for his career in the SEC.  He also put up 14 boards per game. 

Maten will be an end of the bench, 2 point, 1.4 rebound per game guy until he is cut.

labb

I've seen him take and make a three, so he can shoot a little. You don't lead the SEC in scoring without being able to shoot. And he is money from the freethrow line.

razorpimp

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 24, 2018, 09:00:31 pm
The announcers kept talking about his NBA future.  I didn't realize the league is looking for guys with virtually no offensive skills.  How many points did he score that weren't on put backs or free throws?  Does anyone really think he's going to be effective in the league with that game? 

He and the other big man, the guy with the African name, are two of the worst shooters anyone will ever see.  I continue to be amazed and appalled by the fact that basketball players at this level can't shoot the ball.  It's the most basic of all skills.

NBA players that can't shoot are very popular and make tons of money

Deandre Jordan
Tristan Thompson
Drummond for Detroit

Seems like every team has the Hussle rebound guy nowadays

TomasPistola

Quote from: razorpimp on January 24, 2018, 09:36:05 pm

Deandre Jordan
Tristan Thompson
Drummond for Detroit
Malik Monk

Fixed
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

c-townfan

Bad shooter?? You're nuts man. Dude shoots 84-85% from the line. Would place him at the very highest range of current NBA power forwards. NBA power forwards average about 46% from fg. He is shooting about 49% this year and 52% last year. Albeit NBA and sec are different but just proves he is not terrible. Plus there really isn't anyone else on his team to stretch the defense or create better shots for him. Statement was dumb.

GuvHog

Quote from: c-townfan on January 24, 2018, 11:45:32 pm
Bad shooter?? You’re nuts man. Dude shoots 84-85% from the line. Would place him at the very highest range of current NBA power forwards. NBA power forwards average about 46% from fg. He is shooting about 49% this year and 52% last year. Albeit NBA and sec are different but just proves he is not terrible. Plus there really isn’t anyone else on his team to stretch the defense or create better shots for him.

Well said. The Hogs Match Up Zone defense kept Georgia from getting the ball inside to Maten as much. That had a lot to do with his poor day offensively.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

NoogaHog

Quote from: GuvHog on January 25, 2018, 06:04:20 am
Well said. The Hogs Match Up Zone defense kept Georgia from getting the ball inside to Maten as much. That had a lot to do with his poor day offensively.

I know that it is taboo to compliment him on here according to some posters, but I think Dustin Thomas did a really good job of marking him and not getting out muscled by him. It seemed like Gafford and Bailey and to a lesser extent Cook really got pushed around, but Thomas and Thompson stood their ground pretty well.

Now if we can get those illegal screens under control.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

EastexHawg

Quote from: c-townfan on January 24, 2018, 11:45:32 pm
Bad shooter?? You’re nuts man. Dude shoots 84-85% from the line. Would place him at the very highest range of current NBA power forwards. NBA power forwards average about 46% from fg. He is shooting about 49% this year and 52% last year. Albeit NBA and sec are different but just proves he is not terrible. Plus there really isn’t anyone else on his team to stretch the defense or create better shots for him. Statement was dumb.

Have you watched him play and shoot?  His skill set is rudimentary.  He looks awkward trying to set up his shot and even more so shooting.  He shoots line drives from the free throw line.  He has obviously practiced what is basically a set shot from 15 feet, but how is that going to translate to other spots on the floor? 

On top of all that, he is hesitant to shoot anything other than a layup.  It looks like he lacks confidence in his jump shot.  If I was that poor a shooter I would probably be hesitant, too.

He's tall, so at this level he can get some rebounds (7 to 9 per game?) and make layups or score some points from the line if fouled.  He's a decent college player, but Player of the Year in the SEC as they were discussing?  NBA player?  Only if someone is looking for an awkward somewhat tall guy to sit on the bench and maybe fill a few minutes while the starters are resting, or at garbage time.

hogginbama

Add to it that he wont be at the FT line as much in the NBA and his scoring potential drops tremendously.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogginbama on January 25, 2018, 09:54:42 am
Add to it that he wont be at the FT line as much in the NBA and his scoring potential drops tremendously.

And there you have it, the NBA doesn't call touch fouls on one team.

lynbug

Quote from: NoogaHog on January 25, 2018, 08:08:15 am
I know that it is taboo to compliment him on here according to some posters, but I think Dustin Thomas did a really good job of marking him and not getting out muscled by him. It seemed like Gafford and Bailey and to a lesser extent Cook really got pushed around, but Thomas and Thompson stood their ground pretty well.

Now if we can get those illegal screens under control.
Agree with you totally.  I'm always inferring that these two need to be sitting. However, I think they played above their average on Tuesday night.  We needed their contributions.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 25, 2018, 09:28:02 am
Have you watched him play and shoot?  His skill set is rudimentary.  He looks awkward trying to set up his shot and even more so shooting.  He shoots line drives from the free throw line.  He has obviously practiced what is basically a set shot from 15 feet, but how is that going to translate to other spots on the floor? 

On top of all that, he is hesitant to shoot anything other than a layup.  It looks like he lacks confidence in his jump shot.  If I was that poor a shooter I would probably be hesitant, too.

He's tall, so at this level he can get some rebounds (7 to 9 per game?) and make layups or score some points from the line if fouled.  He's a decent college player, but Player of the Year in the SEC as they were discussing?  NBA player?  Only if someone is looking for an awkward somewhat tall guy to sit on the bench and maybe fill a few minutes while the starters are resting, or at garbage time.

I wish we had a 6'8" 240 lb guy that lacked confidence in their shot and were 47/109 (43%) from 3 in their career. He's going to make money playing somewhere, I kind of doubt it will be the NBA. I didn't study his shot but for a guy with his size, shooting 500 free throws in his career, at an almost 80% clip and when he has shot from 3, being 43% I could never say "he lacks confidence" or is a "poor shooter".
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

niels_boar

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 25, 2018, 09:28:02 am

Is that the only game that you have seen Maten play?  Having watched him for years, I can verify that low skill isn't what will keep him out of the NBA.  Skill is what is giving him a shot.  He's shooting 83% from the line and 36% from the arc on a fair number of attempts this season.  Our D did a pretty decent job of making him take tough shots. 

He has only average athleticism.  Going with the assumption that NBA scouts aren't idiots and that they are still tracking Maten,  I think you can answer your own question.  I don't know that he has enough to get him to the NBA, but he's a far better player than you are describing.  He has been a consistent, high-end college PF for three years.  He has averaged 16+ points on 50%+ eFG% three straight years. Low skill players at 6-8 don't do that if they can't go over or around defenders at will.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

onebadrubi

Quote from: razorpimp on January 24, 2018, 09:36:05 pm

Deandre Jordan
Tristan Thompson
Drummond for Detroit

I honestly don't know the answer to this but seems Maten is undersized compared to the names you listed?  Jordan is one of if not the best rim protector in the league. 

DuckTalesLOL

If Maten is as bad as you say, he seemed to control Gafford pretty well. If Gafford can't dunk, he is pretty much useless.

sadhogfan

Quote from: niels_boar on January 25, 2018, 12:11:02 pm
Is that the only game that you have seen Maten play?  Having watched him for years, I can verify that low skill isn't what will keep him out of the NBA.  Skill is what is giving him a shot.  He's shooting 83% from the line and 36% from the arc on a fair number of attempts this season.  Our D did a pretty decent job of making him take tough shots. 

He has only average athleticism.  Going with the assumption that NBA scouts aren't idiots and that they are still tracking Maten,  I think you can answer your own question.  I don't know that he has enough to get him to the NBA, but he's a far better player than you are describing.  He has been a consistent, high-end college PF for three years.  He has averaged 16+ points on 50%+ eFG% three straight years. Low skill players at 6-8 don't do that if they can't go over or around defenders at will.

This is right on. If Maten was NBA-athletic, he would have monster dunked the ball at the end of 2nd overtime and Thompson would have had no shot at the block.

Earlier, Maten was fighting with Barford for a rebound where it was tipped about three times and Maten finally got it, but the fact that he couldn't easily get it over a guy half a foot shorter than him also speaks to his average athleticism.

Being unskilled is not his problem.

PonderinHog

Quote from: sadhogfan on January 25, 2018, 12:45:57 pm
This is right on. If Maten was NBA-athletic, he would have monster dunked the ball at the end of 2nd overtime and Thompson would have had no shot at the block.

Earlier, Maten was fighting with Barford for a rebound where it was tipped about three times and Maten finally got it, but the fact that he couldn't easily get it over a guy half a foot shorter than him also speaks to his average athleticism.

Being unskilled is not his problem.
I thought that was Beard.

Beaverfever

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 24, 2018, 09:02:38 pm
I'm not here to defend the OP because I think Maten is pretty good but lmao at comparing him to the most dominant big man in the history of basketball.  Shaq may not have had a jump shot but he had an unbelievable offensive skillset for a guy his size. 

EastexHawg

As I said, he is a decent college player.  But SEC Player of the Year, as in the best player in the conference?  He's not nearly as impressive as his hype.

labb

It is hard to tell just how good he really is because every time I have seen him play he is double and triple teamed. Still he averages a double double.

sadhogfan

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 25, 2018, 01:01:49 pm
I thought that was Beard.

I thought Barford, but if it was Beard, it makes the point even more strongly. :-)

phadedhawg

that dude is huge, he can be on my team any day.  If he develops he will be an all star in the NBA.  If he doesn't, he's a valuable role player. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: labb on January 25, 2018, 04:17:21 pm
It is hard to tell just how good he really is because every time I have seen him play he is double and triple teamed. Still he averages a double double.

Actually he is averaging 9 rebounds per game this year and less than 7 per game for his career... along with 14 points.

He's shooting 46% this year overall and 49% on two point shots.  How many of those have been layups and dunks?  I would love to see his percentage from 6-15 feet.

SSFrazorback

He is the focal point of every defense he faces and still averages a double double.

Dominicanhog

The dude played like a man and that's not debatable.. don't know about the pro's but he was the real deal and wish we had one..

EastexHawg

Quote from: SSFrazorback on January 25, 2018, 06:19:44 pm
He is the focal point of every defense he faces and still averages a double double.

There have been plenty of guys who were focal points who didn't look spastic and appeared to know how to shoot a basketball. 

He's okay.  He's not Player of the Year good.

tennesseehogwild

Kingsley was preseason POY also last year? Is that right? I think Chris Chiozza will get that honor this year. Maten is no joke though. I went into game thinking he was over hyped but he is pretty damn good.