Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Found this interesting about the discussion on playable height of QB's

Started by PigPusher, February 08, 2018, 02:32:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PigPusher

Found this on the net and found it very enlightening. There are admittedly all kinds of circumstances involving these quarterbacks. However, the bottom line here seems to be that the shorter guys can play even in the pros if they are supremely talented. There is at least a possibility that Mr. Jones might fall into the "Can play" group. Going to be fun to watch nonetheless.

Drew Brees:             6'-0" had 51,081 yards and 363 tds.
Sonny Jurgenson:     5'-11" had 32,224 yards and 255 tds.
Fran Takenton:         6'-0" had 47,003 yards and 342 tds.
Len Dawson:             5'-11" had 28,711 yards and 239 tds.
Joe Theisman            5'-11" had 42,000 yards and 325 tds.
Russell Wilson           5'-11" had 25,000 yards and 181 tds.
Michael Vick              6'-0" had 21,489 yards and 128 tds.
Billy Kilmer               6'-0" had 20,495 yards and 152 tds
Doug Flutie               5'-9" had 14,715 yards and 86 tds.
Pat Haden                 5'-9" had 9,296 yards and 52 tds.
Eddie Lebaron           5'-9" had 13,399 yards and 104 tds.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Atlhogfan1

Release point.  Short qb's with a high release point play taller. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

PigPusher

A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Atlhogfan1

Rivers is 6-5 and gets passes batted down because he throws side arm a lot.  Quick release why it is hard to sack him.  But he plays shorter sometimes.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

RazorPiggie

Where in the world did you get Russell Wilson's stats? He's got almost 25,000 yards passing w/ 181 TDs.

Hopeful Hog

Yeah I guess anything is possible but realistically of the 3 QBs on your list that has played in this century 2 of the 3 were out of this world athletes and Brees could be looked at as the outlier. It's not impossible but the odds are stacked against him in a major way.

ICEman

"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Grizzlyfan

Mobile qb's move around and out of the pocket creating throwing lanes.  every pass is not thrown 7 yards directly behind the center.

hawgfan4life

Interesting, but he can't play until he does!  If he was 2 inches taller, he is a "BALLER" until he proves he isn't.  That is how this works.

PigPusher

Quote from: RazorPiggie on February 08, 2018, 03:04:23 pm
Where in the world did you get Russell Wilson's stats? He's got almost 25,000 yards passing w/ 181 TDs.

Well we can find most any interpretation on the internet as you are aware. The point only was the heights of the players.

PigPusher

Quote from: ICEman on February 08, 2018, 03:15:02 pm
The former Georgia Bulldog QB spelled his name Tarkenton.

You are very correct. Missed this little anomaly. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: hawgfan4life on February 08, 2018, 03:27:29 pm
Interesting, but he can't play until he does!  If he was 2 inches taller, he is a "BALLER" until he proves he isn't.  That is how this works.
I need some help from one of you liberal fellows. I've heard of Bigotry, racism and misogyny, but what do you call people who discriminate against short QB's..?

I mean facts are facts, not all tall guys can play basket ball, but some can. Not all short guys can play QB, but some can. If you're concerned about a guy with the kind of stats that JSJ has playing in the SEC then you're pretty much prejudiced... I know, I know you're worried about his skinny frame too... jeesh..!

Where's the list of short QB's who suck? I bet it's shorter, pun fully intended, than the list of tall QB's who suck too...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hoggish1

Quote from: PigPusher on February 08, 2018, 02:32:42 pm
Found this on the net and found it very enlightening. There are admittedly all kinds of circumstances involving these quarterbacks. However, the bottom line here seems to be that the shorter guys can play even in the pros if they are supremely talented. There is at least a possibility that Mr. Jones might fall into the "Can play" group. Going to be fun to watch nonetheless.

Drew Brees:             6'-0" had 51,081 yards and 363 tds.
Sonny Jurgenson:     5'-11" had 32,224 yards and 255 tds.
Fran Takenton:         6'-0" had 47,003 yards and 342 tds.
Len Dawson:             5'-11" had 28,711 yards and 239 tds.
Joe Theisman            5'-11" had 42,000 yards and 325 tds.
Russell Wilson           5'-11" had 25,000 yards and 181 tds.
Michael Vick              6'-0" had 21,489 yards and 128 tds.
Billy Kilmer               6'-0" had 20,495 yards and 152 tds
Doug Flutie               5'-9" had 14,715 yards and 86 tds.
Pat Haden                 5'-9" had 9,296 yards and 52 tds.
Eddie Lebaron           5'-9" had 13,399 yards and 104 tds.

LOL

I would say that Wilson and Brees are supremely talented out of today's QBs but how many plus 6'6" linemen were around back in the day?  Today that's about the starting point for O-linemen and it would be pretty hard for EL to see over that in today's game.  Don't get me wrong — I loved EL...

Pudgepork

JSJ is roughly the same size as Baker Mayfield, from what I've heard from comparisons.  That works out to the hogs having a potential hiesman winner on the roster

NuttinItUp

Hopeful Hog

Quote from: Pudgepork on February 08, 2018, 04:27:37 pm
JSJ is roughly the same size as Baker Mayfield, from what I've heard from comparisons.  That works out to the hogs having a potential hiesman winner on the roster

You mean the same size when they were at the same point? Like back when Baker was coming out of high school? Because Baker is 6' JSJ is 5'10", that's not the same at all.

Hopeful Hog

Flrazrback

Determination and will to win have to be worth 2 or 3 inches.. LOL Good info, I think John Stephen is going to do just fine and turn alot of heads

hawgfan4life

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on February 08, 2018, 03:45:18 pm
I need some help from one of you liberal fellows. I've heard of Bigotry, racism and misogyny, but what do you call people who discriminate against short QB's..?

I mean facts are facts, not all tall guys can play basket ball, but some can. Not all short guys can play QB, but some can. If you're concerned about a guy with the kind of stats that JSJ has playing in the SEC then you're pretty much prejudiced... I know, I know you're worried about his skinny frame too... jeesh..!

Where's the list of short QB's who suck? I bet it's shorter, pun fully intended, than the list of tall QB's who suck too...

Really?  You couldn't read sarcasm in my post without it being stated?  I said in jest that all short QBs can't play until they prove they can play and all tall players can play until they prove they can't.  I said that is how it works making fun of that stereotype.   

redeye

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on February 08, 2018, 03:16:05 pm
Mobile qb's move around and out of the pocket creating throwing lanes.  every pass is not thrown 7 yards directly behind the center.

This is how I see it.  I'd worry some if he were playing in Bielema or Petrino's system, but not in Morris'.

Several recruiting analysts have said that JSJ would be a 4* QB, if only he were 2" taller.  We've seen plenty of 4* QB's that probably didn't deserve that high rating and their height probably helped them obtain it.  So I'll take a 5'10 guy who earned it every time.

Hawgphat

I would assume that there are some intangibles which come into play in comparisons of QB quality performance.  Physical attributes are obviously of great importance, but it seems to me that the overall value rating of one young man's potential - in comparison with that of others - is - - -  (or perhaps should be) - - - - on a case-by-case basis.

We shall see.

PigPusher

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 08, 2018, 04:03:22 pm
LOL

I would say that Wilson and Brees are supremely talented out of today's QBs but how many plus 6'6" linemen were around back in the day?  Today that's about the starting point for O-linemen and it would be pretty hard for EL to see over that in today's game.  Don't get me wrong — I loved EL...

Very true. I have a program from the 1969 Arkansas vs Texas game. The size of the players comparing to today are laughable.  Biggest lineman of the Hog size, as I remember, was something like 230 lbs.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on February 08, 2018, 06:14:31 pm
Me as well. Could you imagine the cannon on a guy like that?

I can also imagine the 5 seconds it would take for the windup those tall long armed guys almost always have..
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Pudgepork

JSJ has qb'd his team to back to back state championships.   Do they average 6' across the lines in Texas high school football?  I'd bet he's faced lines very similar to what he'll see in college.  Except for the overall speed

PigPusher

Quote from: Pudgepork on February 09, 2018, 08:29:14 am
JSJ has qb'd his team to back to back state championships.   Do they average 6' across the lines in Texas high school football?  I'd bet he's faced lines very similar to what he'll see in college.  Except for the overall speed

Can't speak for Texas but can for Oklahoma. My son went through the Union system and I can attest that the linemen there were mostly 6'-1 plus.  I am 5'-11" and I spend a lot of time looking up in the face of this lineman or the other. Very big lads. I would say that our new Texas Quarterback has spend a lot of time lofting the ball over these up stretched hands. But then with the play action or spread system the quarterback spends a lot of time improvising while out of the constraints of the pocket.

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit