Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beefing up

Started by arthurhawgerelli, January 18, 2018, 02:44:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

arthurhawgerelli

I think, especially if you didn't attend any of the Fall WS, most of you hard core Hog baseball fans are going to walk into Baum, and trip over your jaws the first time you attend a game this year.  Several of our Hogs look like body builders.  I'm overstating that a little, and the old timers will scream "he's too tight to hit" the first time somebody gets in a slump, but our strength and conditioning staff is definitely not the same staff that worked for Bielema.

I heard all last season not to expect as much power as the 2017 squad from the 2018 squad.  I think we will all be surprised.

Go Hogs!  WPS!

dotnet

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Quote from: dotnet on January 18, 2018, 03:33:51 pm
anyone specifically?

Freshman Ben McClain looks like a beast.  At least he did in the fall WS games.  Didn't look like a freshman at the plate!

Knot2brite

Strength is a major part of today's game...now having said that...you can over build and in the process make yourself unable to perform at a high level...I am sure that they kept mobility and multiple flexibility and agility drills. Muscle builds layers...of you keep mobility and range of motion by taking your swings and doing flexibility drills then there is no reason for concern
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

southarkhog06

It worked wonders for AB, so I am all for it.

arthurhawgerelli

anyone specifically?

First guy I didn't recognize was Dominic Fletcher.  I thought he was a linebacker from the football team trying out for the baseball team.  He already had the swing of a power hitter, but I wouldn't be surprised to see  him with an additional 10-12 HR's this year.

Kevin

our new strength & conditioning coach has talked about the importance flexibility & stretching.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

arthurhawgerelli

Quote from: Kevin on January 19, 2018, 10:20:40 am
our new strength & conditioning coach has talked about the importance flexibility & stretching.
Yes.  He is outstanding.

Springfield_MO_Razorback

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on January 19, 2018, 10:20:20 am
First guy I didn't recognize was Dominic Fletcher.  I thought he was a linebacker from the football team trying out for the baseball team.  He already had the swing of a power hitter, but I wouldn't be surprised to see  him with an additional 10-12 HR's this year.

When you started this thread the first guy that came to my mind was Fletcher. Just hope he keeps his speed in the OF. Has anyone seen Blaine Knight yet? Have they been able to add any weight to him?

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: Springfield_MO_Razorback on January 19, 2018, 10:57:09 am
Has anyone seen Blaine Knight yet? Have they been able to add any weight to him?

He can't. Been trying since he got here.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on January 19, 2018, 11:35:38 am

He might be 25 years old before he can start retaining mass. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

SPAL

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on January 19, 2018, 11:35:38 am

He has added about 5 pounds, which doesn't seem like a whole lot, but I'm told he has added a little velo to his fastball.

Jaxhog

anyone specifically?

I recommend you visit the strength coaches twitter page.  He has a few pictures up and quite a few of his comments will help you understand his philosophy.  Positive comments about Bonfield and his squats, some pictures of Fletcher and a few others.  Blaine Kinsley is his name

dotnet

Springfield_MO_Razorback

Quote from: Jaxhog on January 19, 2018, 03:18:27 pm
I recommend you visit the strength coaches twitter page.  He has a few pictures up and quite a few of his comments will help you understand his philosophy.  Positive comments about Bonfield and his squats, some pictures of Fletcher and a few others.  Blaine Kinsley is his name

Thanks!

Springfield_MO_Razorback

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on January 19, 2018, 03:05:06 pm
He has added about 5 pounds, which doesn't seem like a whole lot, but I'm told he has added a little velo to his fastball.

That's awesome, even if it is a very small gain it is a huge add on to that all ready strong fastball! I was a bean pole in high school and remember putting on 7-8 lbs during the summer going into my junior year and I went from 77-79 to 82-84 on my fastball in 2.5 months. I'm sure some of that was developmental too and not weight alone. But, in the end it didn't matter. I was horrible on the mound.

HogFoo

I look at a team like Missouri 1st. We got that their recruiting guy and he may have given van horn some ideas about getting guys that are bigger and possibly bulking up our guys.  As I started to say, I look back at missouri state and they had  some big dudes on their team that could really smack the ball.  I'm glad to hear we have bulked up. Hopefully we still keep our flexibility and swing.  Fletcher looks like he definitely put on weight.  Looks good.  He had power last year, and I expect him to make a jump this year similar Benny.
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

HogFire31

I also heard Knight had added about 5lbs.  Some of the younger guys have put on weight.  I heard Bolden has added 18lbs.

dotnet

So, speaking of beefing up... there is this article:

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/jan/18/state-hogs-campbell-back-and-mission/

I cannot possibly be expected to wait another 27 days until the first game...

dotnet

While I'm getting excited about the season...

Teddy Cahill tweeted: "Two SEC schools ranked in the top 40 nationally last year in runs, ERA and fielding percentage.  One was LSU.  Who was the other?"

I'm 99% sure the answer is Arkansas - who is returning almost everyone - and hopefully mainly just substituting one MLB top draft pick for another in the rotation. 

hogfan14

Fletcher is #24 now...just saying  ;)

Wisco Pig

Quote from: dotnet on January 20, 2018, 02:39:05 pm
Teddy Cahill tweeted: "Two SEC schools ranked in the top 40 nationally last year in runs, ERA and fielding percentage.  One was LSU.  Who was the other?"

I'm 99% sure the answer is Arkansas - who is returning almost everyone - and hopefully mainly just substituting one MLB top draft pick for another in the rotation.

You're right, dotnet, it was Arkansas.

Runs     -- 27th (tie)
ERA      -- 27th (3.61)
Fielding -- 38th (.977)

ucahogfan

Quote from: Wisco Pig on January 20, 2018, 07:23:12 pm
You're right, dotnet, it was Arkansas.

Runs     -- 27th (tie)
ERA      -- 27th (3.61)
Fielding -- 38th (.977)
I feel like it is probable that we will see increases in all 3 of those categories this year.  Well, decrease in the case of ERA.  Stephan and Kopps are our two biggest losses on the mound and we get Campbell and McKinney back as well as a lot of our guys having another year under their belt.

SPAL

Quote from: ucahogfan on January 20, 2018, 08:00:22 pm
I feel like it is probable that we will see increases in all 3 of those categories this year.  Well, decrease in the case of ERA.  Stephan and Kopps are our two biggest losses on the mound and we get Campbell and McKinney back as well as a lot of our guys having another year under their belt.

Really wouldn't be shocked in that ERA fell under 3