• 390,652 Topics
• 22,093 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 40 Years Ago Today...  (Read 3444 times)

Mo_Better_Hogs

• All-American Hogvillian
  • DE FENSE!! DE FENSE!!
Re: 40 Years Ago Today...
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2018, 10:15:44 am »

Watching this video is quite a project, but a fun one. I'm almost to halftime. The game action is great. It's not like OU didn't have anything, they'd look like steamrollers, then we would just blast them. A few times the camera got fooled by their triple option. They'd follow the dive back and it would look like a good gain, but then you see Thomas Lott, with the ball, tackled in the backfield for a 10 yard loss!

And I love the commercials. So many funny things I have no reason to remember. As Tejano mentioned, the strange NBC logo. Then the National Airlines commercial where the faces appear in the logo. The Pontiac spots. Lou Rawls singing in a Budweiser spot. And Johnny Rutherford selling Xerox copiers!

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2018, 06:41:26 pm »

More like 60 now!

True. But.....
“They've been going in and out of style
But they're guaranteed to raise a smile”

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

longtimeHogfan

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2018, 02:52:35 pm »

The Steve Little quick kick is the play that sticks out most in my mind.  When he kneeled down in the backfield (so as not to be in OU's sight I'm guessing) I jumped up and started yelling "Quick Kick".  He stuck out like a sore thumb because we didn't have any white backs except Calcagni.  He got all of his foot into that ball.  A great night indeed.

I think he was  trying to keep his jersey number from being seen and giving away their intent. 

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2018, 03:12:17 pm »

I was 23 and spent the 2 days before in Dallas celebrating New Years and going to the NFC championship, Dallas vs, Minnesota. Left Dallas when the Cotton Bowl, Texas vs. Notre Dame started and got back to Pine Bluff just in time to eat dinner and watch the hogs destroy OU. Capped off a fantastic weekend.

I was 24 and had been living in Dallas for almost 2 years.  I went to my first Cotton Bowl game in person that afternoon and watched as Notre Dame dismantled Texas.  It was balls cold!  The game was on CBS, and I remember seeing Brent Musberger and "The Greek" strolling on the sidelines in the second half in their NY style top coats with scarf.  Went to the game with my father.  Then went went to dinner with Mom and Dad before watching our game.  I remember a whole lot of whooping and hollering.  And a few Hog Calls.

okrazorback

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2018, 11:13:16 am »

I watched that game on TV also. Am I the oldest guy on this board. I was 40 years old at the time. I was really happy about the outcome. We not only beat mighty Oklahoma. We clobbered them.

Wild Bill Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2018, 12:38:44 pm »

I watched that game on TV also. Am I the oldest guy on this board. I was 40 years old at the time. I was really happy about the outcome. We not only beat mighty Oklahoma. We clobbered them.

You may be.  Keep hanging in there.

pigture perfect

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2018, 12:45:39 pm »

I was at the airport in Little Rock with my parents. My sister had gone on a missions trip to Central America and we were picking her up. Her plane was late and we got to watch most of the game there. Had to listen to the radio, the last quarter.

hoghearted

• 2007 and 2009 Rolex DP Champions. Are you driven?
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2018, 01:12:29 pm »

Why did he need a hat with an umbrella.....................If I were the coach I would never agree to wear another teams hat under any circumstances in public. Especially on national TV.

seems like I remember another Florida related 'hat' event in Razorback history......involved a local reporter, as I recall....

TNhawgfan

• Jimmy G - A New Hope!
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2018, 01:17:13 pm »

I thought this was going to be a thread on Sgt. Pepper from the title

alohawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2018, 01:21:07 pm »

It's a trip watching the broadcast as it was, commercials, pre-game and all. This will take awhile to get through. I'll watch a few minutes every chance I get.

I remember the opening segment, with Switzer under the umbrella in the rain. And I thought it was more obvious that Holtz was not in the rain (interesting story here about Lou's cap), like the bad weather was only on the Oklahoma side…maybe I just imagined it. Or it was a strange positive premonition.

So many great details, like the short-lived NBC "N" logo. Forgot that Frank did the opening prayer. It's funny hearing how the play-by-play and color are done…Merlin sounded very subdued at first. And when he was introducing OU's offensive line, I could swear he says their right tackle is a "full-blooded Indian." I backed it up several times, can't figure out anything else he could've said.

I was a freshman in high school then, and was watching the game with my parents in our living room. We all came out of our seats on every good play. Like every play in OU's first series…we were just hammering them. Heck, they fumbled on their first play, but Sims recovered it. I love our first snap, with Calcagni keeping on a nice option run. He was so money running the veer-option. And after Sales scored on the next play, Jim Simpson exclaims "What a day for football!" Indeed.

Sounds like our living room, unforgettable night. Class of '81 here too.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2018, 04:27:54 pm »

seems like I remember another Florida related 'hat' event in Razorback history......involved a local reporter, as I recall....

Yep but she wasn't employed by the athletic department...................

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2018, 10:06:37 am »

I was in Middle school them and Now I am a Old man .
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas