Still opposed
12 (4.9%)
Frito Pie
7 (2.9%)
I was always on board
89 (36.5%)

Total Members Voted: 244

jgphillips3

I reacted poorly to this hire based on the available data.  After all the information I have been able to find, read and view, plus listening to the man speak, I now believe we have hired a winner.  I'm on board.  Curious to see how the rest of you feel.  Also, the man seems to have a JFB vibe about him that is interesting.  Even good coaches get chewed up and spit out in this league, but I think Morris has possibility and the drive you need to succeed.  Only time and the Jimmies and Joes will tell the story of course, but however bad I felt a few days ago, I am now cautiously optimistic.

farmhawg

I think he will be great, and I do get a sense of Broyles. Something about his mannerisms.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

hoghearted

I like what I see. Time will tell; this is a very tough league.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

ElDawgHawg

I was on board from day one.  Good Hire! 
#WPS

hogcards

I've always liked him.

The fact that we dumped two of the worst people ever associated with Arkansas football over the past two weeks is my main cause for celebration.

Chad will do fine.  He's more icing than anything else.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

Hoggish1

I never understand why a "FAN"would not be on board and be very optimistic about the hire, once it's made.  Can somebody explain how people are fans and be so pessimistic at the same time?  So very sad...

The Hawg Marshal

Porknoxville

Went from Norvell to Lane, until Monday when I decided to look at this guy Clint S. Was so highly touting. After reading everything I could find, I quickly gave Chad my endorsement! Really excited about the possibilities!

Science Fiction Greg

Been in the Morris Taurus the whole time.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Billy Bats

Everybody get on board.  This is going to be awesome. 

Hawginj

Im definitely on board. After that Auburn coach thankfully stayed I started to really look into the other possible canidates besides Norvell because as time went on it was pretty clear we werent going that route either. From the start CM was in my top 5 but the more i saw and heard the more excited I got and now Im glad its the direction we went. Go Hogs!

JONAS

I'm like you.  I was upset at first, but not anymore.  It will take a lot of hard work to get this program to where we as fans want it.  I don't know that the other candidates would have been willing or able to do it.  I still don't know if Coach Morris will, but I guarantee you he will give it his all.

Knot2brite

If he doesn't find a way to play defense at a high level it won't matter. He won't be here long. Explosive offenses are great but a team cannot expect to just outscore teams in the SEC. His teams may gain a couple miles every game but I can't see them stopping anyone with the personnel they have right now. In the small sample we have for his head coaching experience ...I do not see the same emphasis placed on defense that I do on offense. That is the problem with having a coach that has spent all of his career on one side of the ball. They tend to forget the other side and it is their downfall
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

VBMark

Wow, Jonas! You were dumping on me for promoting the idea of Morris. I think you promised to sell your tickets.

Glad you are board now. Welcome to the real bus.

Now, I hope everyone remembers what else I said. We may only win five to seven games next year as the transition in game philosophy will be difficult. Hope you and others will remember CBP's first year when it happens.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

VBMark

Quote from: Knot2brite on December 07, 2017, 11:15:42 am
If he doesn't find a way to play defense at a high level it won't matter. He won't be here long. Explosive offenses are great but a team cannot expect to just outscore teams in the SEC. His teams may gain a couple miles every game but I can't see them stopping anyone with the personnel they have right now. In the small sample we have for his head coaching experience ...I do not see the same emphasis placed on defense that I do on offense. That is the problem with having a coach that has spent all of his career on one side of the ball. They tend to forget the other side and it is their downfall

Um. He was a HS head coach. His championship teams played great defense. He understands the need of that side of the ball, if he wants to win championships.
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

Billy Bats

Bend but don't break is so much easier to recruit for than having to stop everyone all the time on every possession because you don't have an offense that can provide run support and move the chains and make first downs. 

NuttinbutMediocre

I like his plan, but I'm not sold he can run a complete program yet. I'm very concerned about defense. As for recruiting, if we can't improve our Texas recruiting with this guy, I don't see how we ever could.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

lumphog

thebignasty

No idea if he can win here or not, but I like him so far and will support him and the team while he gets his shot.

NuttinItUp

He orchestrated a Clemson turnaround and saved Dabo Swinney's job.

He took a disaster of a program with 1 win and made them relevant.

I think he can improve our situation and will be given the tools to do so. I am on board.

alohawg

I've gone from cautious pessimism to cautious optimism. I'm wish him to be wildly successful. Go hogs!
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Knot2brite

Quote from: VBMark on December 07, 2017, 11:20:37 am
Um. He was a HS head coach. His championship teams played great defense. He understands the need of that side of the ball, if he wants to win championships.
Yeah because all high school head coaches know the ins and outs of both sides of the ball...know many? I know hundreds and many of them win state championships and NEVER even look at the opposite side of the ball. I do not think he has shown that he values defense more than offense from his time as a head coach. He better fix the defense first because it has much further to go

GolfnHog

Firstly, I'm just thanking the 8lb. 6 oz Baby Jesus that GM wasn't coming back. I certainly wasn't opposed to CCM but the more knowledge and info I gained about him the more impressed his resume truly is. After watching his meeting w/ the players and the introductory presser, he is going to be just fine. Does it mean the Hogs go 9-3 or better the 1st year? No, but getting 4-5* kids that play in this type of offense to consider and play at AR is an easier sell than what CMM had to face at SMU.

He's well connected, respected and in tune to TX HS football and he'll get those same relationships in AR w/ the HS coaches. You don't get the COY in Texas HS 11 yrs running without being able to adapt and improvise to improve. He'll give AR football that.

His biggest litmus test now is to get a DC & staff  that can put a respectable attacking D on the field. As fast as this O can score the D better be in great physical condition as well. He's got my support.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Knot2brite

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 07, 2017, 11:21:07 am
Bend but don't break is so much easier to recruit for than having to stop everyone all the time on every possession because you don't have an offense that can provide run support and move the chains and make first downs. 
Bend but don't break is not the defense you want to have to win at a consistent high rate. It is what you get when you can't recruit solid defensive players....and I hate relying on bending and not breaking...it has a tendency to break when you don't need it to

BearsBisonsBoars

Name a single G5 with an elite defense. Or Even a good one. Even by their standards.

There's just fewer good defensive players out there, and more are needed on each team because they rotate more often than offensive players do. So the P5s snatch them up and there's not much left over for the rest of the FBS. (And SMU was below the barrel even among G5 schools and has been since the Pony Express.)

The defense argument doesn't hold water. Defense was critical during his time at Clemson, and he is quite obviously following thay blueprint.

jgphillips3

This is the rare coach that we may have caught just before his star rose above our level.  His SMU recruiting ranking is not great, but he was getting a lot of underrated 3 stars and building a competent team.  His record does suck but you can only polish a turd so much and he had nothing at SMU to work with.  His personality and offensive mind are great.  His recruiting connections are perfect.  If he gets a top notch DC and we start to convince a few more four stars to look our way, he may be what Petrino could have been...and more.

porque

You see why he won the interview with JCP and the Chancellor.  The man has a plan. And the part about Arkansas being where Clemson was when he got there is a great line.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Knot2brite on December 07, 2017, 11:25:19 am
Yeah because all high school head coaches know the ins and outs of both sides of the ball...know many? I know hundreds and many of them win state championships and NEVER even look at the opposite side of the ball. I do not think he has shown that he values defense more than offense from his time as a head coach. He better fix the defense first because it has much further to go

Clemson's defensive staff would disagree. I've read quotes and heard interviews from several who mention that Morris would include consideration for the defense in his offensive scheme.

Billy Bats

Quote from: Knot2brite on December 07, 2017, 11:28:58 am
Bend but don't break is not the defense you want to have to win at a consistent high rate. It is what you get when you can't recruit solid defensive players....and I hate relying on bending and not breaking...it has a tendency to break when you don't need it to

The Denver Broncos bend but don't break.  They're just able to get up and make a stop on two more possessions than their opponents.  If they're getting run support from the offense that translates to a ton of wins.  This is a winning formula at Arkansas.  Petrino proved it unequivocally. 

Knot2brite

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on December 07, 2017, 11:29:59 am
Name a single G5 with an elite defense. Or Even a good one. Even by their standards.

There's just fewer good defensive players out there, and more are needed on each team because they rotate more often than offensive players do. So the P5s snatch them up and there's not much left over for the rest of the FBS. (And SMU was below the barrel even among G5 schools and has been since the Pony Express.)

The defense argument doesn't hold water. Defense was critical during his time at Clemson, and he is quite obviously following thay blueprint.
UTSA is number 7 in the NCAA in total defense...San Diego state number 12, Fresno State 16, Southern Miss 17, Northern Illinois 18....want more? Wyoming 21....Boise St 23.....Troy 26

HawgWyld

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on December 07, 2017, 11:11:46 am
Been in the Morris Taurus the whole time.

Man, that's got to change. There are few things more boring than a Ford Taurus...

NotSoFastMyFriend

He is innovative and brings a lot of energy. Offensive players will flock to his system. Defense remains a question but I'm still optimistic. Nothing could be worse than last year. You could literally line up in base and Greenlaw make all the calls and it would be better than having last year's crew.

HOGS82

I'll admit that I wasn't at first, just based on the other names that were being thrown around throughout the search. However, after doing some reading/research and watching his interviews, talking to the team, and press conference there's a lot to like.

Can't say yet whether he'll be successful or not - that's something we can revisit in 3-4 years - but it's nice to have hope and optimism about Razorback football once again.
Quote from: mindemon on November 24, 2023, 06:58:31 pmThe 'Fire Sam Pittman' crowd are going to be eating their words next year. Trust me.

Knot2brite

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 07, 2017, 11:33:50 am
The Denver Broncos bend but don't break.  They're just able to get up and make a stop on two more possessions than their opponents.  If they're getting run support from the offense that translates to a ton of wins.  This is a winning formula at Arkansas.  Petrino proved it unequivocally. 
Good luck is all I have to say...if he doesn't address the defense first and foremost then it doesn't matter...but the fans will be happy he threw it eleventy billion times and gained 10000000 yards...that is what fans really want to see...

HawgWyld

Quote from: hogcards on December 07, 2017, 11:10:22 am
I've always liked him.

The fact that we dumped two of the worst people ever associated with Arkansas football over the past two weeks is my main cause for celebration.

Chad will do fine.  He's more icing than anything else.

Amen to that. The football program is an absolute mess right now -- here's hoping Morris is the guy to fix it...

JONAS

Quote from: VBMark on December 07, 2017, 11:18:24 am
Wow, Jonas! You were dumping on me for promoting the idea of Morris. I think you promised to sell your tickets.

Glad you are board now. Welcome to the real bus.

Now, I hope everyone remembers what else I said. We may only win five to seven games next year as the transition in game philosophy will be difficult. Hope you and others will remember CBP's first year when it happens.

I tend to overreact sometimes.🤣

Hogsfan1981

I have blasted this hire for two days. But the venting is over. I'm always on board for the Hogs. I think it will be a tough road but his offense will be fun to watch and the Texas ties are my favorite thing about him. As a person he seems great of course.

I encourage everyone that was angry like me to just take a wait and see approach. No one really knows what will happen.

A great DC hire goes a long way.

GringoHog

I was on board from the get go.... but I am a compny man at heart.  I believe that the folks in power are doing the best they can with the information that is available.  I trusted the hire even though I had questions and doubt.  I started researching when it started leaking; and although I'll never admit it again after this post, I may have an indepth knowledge of football..... see...... I may or may not be a retired football coach, and I may or may not still study the game, study new offensive ideas, schemes, coaches, and break down SEC opponents the week before we play them occasionally.  When I watch a game, I may or may not be watching the offensive lines, where their feet step, where their heads fit, where their hands go.  Maybe I'm simultaneously watching the LBs, where their first step is, where their eyes go, how they fill...etc........ or maybe I don't know squat and I'm just another run of the mill forum liar  Anyhow! I said all that to say that after Morris leaked, I checked him out and I believe him to be a home run hire.  After the team meeting and press conference, I'm ready to get a fresh Hog tattoo on my neck and run through a brick wall!
"There are Lions, Tigers and Bears ,but there ain't but one Razorback!" - HDN The Great

SooieGeneris

Same here, he was my 5th choice at best.

I was slow to come around because I'm not a fan of Bo Mattingly and some of the others in the media who seemed to be shilling for CM incessantly the last week or so.

I think they knew something and were getting out front of the parade.

However, after a lot of research on the guy, I had no idea just how bad SMU was when he got there.

June Jones bailed 2-3 games into the 2014 season and that team was averaging about 4-5 points a game and giving up over 40 a game 10 games into the season.

I've never heard of a team that had scored fewer points than their opponents averaged that deep into a season.

SMU had scored a little over 40 points total while giving up an average of over that per game.

Had he stayed at Clemson instead of going there, he would likely not be available to us now.

Ironically, had he stayed and been there for the NC last year, this hire would be given higher marks than it is now by many of our fans..

When he left, rather than bring in some hotshot young OC, they stayed in house and promoted the RB coach and the WR coach to co-coordinator status and kept the offense the same, terminology and all.

That told me a lot. This guy is high energy and that is relatable to young men. He is very highly regarded by HS coaches, people who have worked with him, players he has recruited and who have played for him.

I doubt if he has a Harley, which is a plus. He has the Clemson blue print and like he said, there are many similarities between the two programs from where they were when he got there.

Now, we'll just have to wait and see if he can implement that blue print here. We'll start seeing by the staff he is able to hire and how he does in recruiting at least by the 2019 class.

He has hit the ground running and his energy and vigor are a welcome contrast to flip flops and falling asleep in meetings..
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

HoggyCat

I clicked the first option solely on the hope that he lands a solid DC. He'll have the offense & ST ready.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

mlloyd4

That was a fantastic first meeting vid with the team. Morris clearly has the right ideas, the character, and the experience to build a championship program. I'm impressed and excited again about Razorback Football. WPS!
WPS

The Kig

I was not on board...all the way up until he was named HC, but I am a Hog fan and will always support our coaching staff until they prove otherwise.  In my view, the time for arguing and thinking your guy is the better option is fine until the decision is made.  Then it's time to move on.

He is currently undefeated as a HC!  I like his energy and offensive philosophy.  It remains to be seen what happens with the defense.  The identity of this team is going to change quite a bit in the next year.  There will be growing pains...just like we saw with the transition on D this past year, Bielema's first year, and Bobby's first year. 

We're gonna score some points, so the offense will be fun to watch.
Poker Porker

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 07, 2017, 11:10:45 am
I never understand why a "FAN"would not be on board and be very optimistic about the hire, once it's made.  Can somebody explain how people are fans and be so pessimistic at the same time?  So very sad...

It's actually very easy to love and support the Razorback football players and at the same time very pessimistic about the HC and some of his staff, and the AD.  Just look back about a month or two.

hogblitz

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on December 07, 2017, 11:34:53 am
i wasnt happy. now i'm cautiously optomistic.
I am the same.  Obviously, he can score points in bunches.  If a big time DC is hired and has complete control we may be in good shape. 

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: porque on December 07, 2017, 11:31:59 am
You see why he won the interview with JCP and the Chancellor.  The man has a plan. And the part about Arkansas being where Clemson was when he got there is a great line.

Yes, but the part that he didn't explain was where he intends to get the players equal to the Clemson roster. 

Clemson was pitiful at the time he went there 7 years ago.  But they have so many recruits in a three state group, SC, NC, and Ga.  Then to top it off they can cherry pick from Texas to Florida.

Question is, can he do it here?

GuvHog

I'm definitely on board after watching the presser and the team meeting. That guy is for real!
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Redhogs

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 07, 2017, 11:30:14 am
This is the rare coach that we may have caught just before his star rose above our level.  His SMU recruiting ranking is not great, but he was getting a lot of underrated 3 stars and building a competent team.  His record does suck but you can only polish a turd so much and he had nothing at SMU to work with.  His personality and offensive mind are great.  His recruiting connections are perfect.  If he gets a top notch DC and we start to convince a few more four stars to look our way, he may be what Petrino could have been...and more.
let's not get too carried away just yet..cautiously optimistic at this point.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

farmhawg

Quote from: Redhogs on December 07, 2017, 01:23:05 pm
let's not get too carried away just yet..cautiously optimistic at this point.
Come on! You want to jump on board!,
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!