Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My Chad Morris research

Started by texasdvm, December 05, 2017, 07:34:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

texasdvm

Go do some research on Chad Morris and you might change your mind to him actually being exactly what we need.  I have looked at his career from when he got out of TAMU with a dual degree in Mathematics and Statistics.  He started at the bottom of coaching.  He knows every job from junior high to college. He knows how to relate people in different stations of life.  He is more than just X's and O's.  He has impressed his bosses at every stop along his twenty plus years of coaching.  He is married to his college sweetheart and has two fine children.  He is grounded.  He will represent us well and I bet will win big for us.  I do not know him but I like what my research is showing me.  As an Arkansan,  I think the people on our BOT,   have brought to us a man that we will all love and come to appreciate.  I see the glass full and running over with Head Coach Chad Morris. GHG!

BigBrandonAllenFan

Mellon Collie

Quote from: texasdvm on December 05, 2017, 07:34:59 pm
Go do some research on Chad Morris and you might change your mind to him actually being exactly what we need.  I have looked at his career from when he got out of TAMU with a dual degree in Mathematics and Statistics.  He started at the bottom of coaching.  He knows every job from junior high to college. He knows how to relate people in different stations of life.  He is more than just X's and O's.  He has impressed his bosses at every stop along his twenty plus years of coaching.  He is married to his college sweetheart and has two fine children.  He is grounded.  He will represent us well and I bet will win big for us.  I do not know him but I like what my research is showing me.  As an Arkansan,  I think the people on our BOT,   have brought to us a man that we will all love and come to appreciate.  I see the glass full and running over with Head Coach Chad Morris. GHG!

damn, the propoganda is being distributed full force.

Wooderson

Oh another good guy...Awesome.  Makes the losing seasons so much easier to take.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

Kevin

You don't have to sell a Ferrari but you sure have to sell a yugo
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Mellon Collie

Quote from: texasdvm on February 02, 2016, 10:50:17 pm
This is a great thread about CBB.  I think I can add an interesting insight shared by friend Ted Thompson, the General Manager of the Green Bay Packers and the builder of their more recent success.  Ted knows CBB well from his time in Wisconsin. He has the utmost respect for him as a person and football coach.  He strongly believes that CBB will win a NC here at Arkansas.  For us to be patient and let him lay in the foundation and then build upon it  towards a NC.  That is about as good of an endorsement for our Head Coach as you can get.  It is great to see the Razorback Nation united behind its Head  Coach.  Really makes me proud to have been born and raised a Hog.  Also, Ted knows about the Razorbacks as he played for SMU in the old SWC.

L to the O to the L

dibuzop

Quote from: Wooderson on December 05, 2017, 07:40:43 pm
Oh another good guy...Awesome.  Makes the losing seasons so much easier to take.

What about the winning seasons?

RedRock

gangstaback

"He is a grounded man" ... what does that even mean? This isn't a factory union job.

Guy has coached tons of schools and performed 1 year stints.

Saying he is grounded because he got his girlfriend in college pregnant is insanity.

Holmes501

Quote from: Wooderson on December 05, 2017, 07:40:43 pm

The last coach we hired had a winning record and back to back Rose Bowls, and he did SOOOOO well.

Dr. Starcs

The turd polishing has hit maximum level this evening.

HoggyCat

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 05, 2017, 08:32:44 pm

Board was overwhelmingly against him until he was hired. Now he's the next Saban/Petrino hybrid.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Hollywood870

Quote from: HoggyCat on December 05, 2017, 08:36:19 pm
Board was overwhelmingly against him until he was hired. Now he's the next Saban/Petrino hybrid.
People that aren't illiterate are actually reading up on him and his bio.

TX HOG

AlmaHog2011

I wanted Norvell but after checking around I am feeling pretty good about Morris. A recruiting guy posted a good review of Morris on TOS and it was very good.

Roaringboar

I've done the research, nothing that impressess me......the only thing going for him is that he was a great Texas HS coach......that doesn't mean chit in the SEC.......he was coordinator at Clemson, and they did do well, but then when he left they got even better.....but that's not the current staff, oh no, that's all because of Morris who jumped to SMU and has done very poorly when compared to Norvell, Frost, and even Strong who finished 9-3 his first year in......Kiffin turned his Conference USA team around in one season too.....Taggart left Oregon to go to Florida State......we could've done so much better than Morris......he's simply the corporate guy......he's going to kiss the bosses' @$$ every second of the day, and that's why he's going to get the job......not because he's proven.....he doesn't deserve this job....he can't even recruit and that's why people say he's so great......"The other HS coaches will help him in Texas"......B.S.....you line him up against Fisher, Patterson, Herman, and even Kingsbury, they will pick the other four guys first before ever jumping to Arkansas......we're going from mediocre to just a joke.....someone said it earlier but it's true.....we are the new Vandy of the SEC.......
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

deedster84

Quote from: Mellon Collie on December 05, 2017, 07:39:43 pm
damn, the propoganda is being distributed full force.

And the hate is being spread by others that seem to know more than everyone else (through their google searches). Tit for tat.

Roaringboar

Quote from: deedster84 on December 05, 2017, 08:49:21 pm
And the hate is being spread by others that seem to know more than everyone else (through their google searches). Tit for tat.

And where the f do you guys get all of your wonderful info who are pushing this "wonderful hire" b.s. all over the place....same sources....google.....those of us who hate the hire just seem to know a bit more about college football than the rest of you I'm afraid......

farmhawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 05, 2017, 08:32:44 pm
Yep, but through it all your still the same.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

baldhog1

What happened to Arkansas ties?

Wooderson

Quote from: Hollywood870 on December 05, 2017, 08:39:51 pm
People that aren't illiterate are actually reading up on him and his bio.

Ha ha.  His bio?  Seriously?  I have broken stats down extensively with him and you throw out that people are reading his bio. 
Give me liberty, or give me death!

deedster84

Quote from: Roaringboar on December 05, 2017, 08:48:45 pm
I've done the research, nothing that impressess me......the only thing going for him is that he was a great Texas HS coach......that doesn't mean chit in the SEC.......he was coordinator at Clemson, and they did do well, but then when he left they got even better.....but that's not the current staff, oh no, that's all because of Morris who jumped to SMU and has done very poorly when compared to Norvell, Frost, and even Strong who finished 9-3 his first year in......Kiffin turned his Conference USA team around in one season too.....Taggart left Oregon to go to Florida State......we could've done so much better than Morris......he's simply the corporate guy......he's going to kiss the bosses' @$$ every second of the day, and that's why he's going to get the job......not because he's proven.....he doesn't deserve this job....he can't even recruit and that's why people say he's so great......"The other HS coaches will help him in Texas"......B.S.....you line him up against Fisher, Patterson, Herman, and even Kingsbury, they will pick the other four guys first before ever jumping to Arkansas......we're going from mediocre to just a joke.....someone said it earlier but it's true.....we are the new Vandy of the SEC.......

Don't dismiss this so easily. Other Texas HS coaches saying. "you can trust this man", means a lot to some leaving Texas for the first time.

jabberjawls

Notice this comes from a guy with 41 posts. 

regi

I was not excited,  thought he would be hard to sell,  but,  actually looking at his body of work,  I think he has a chance. I will see how he does with this class,  if he does not do as well as I think, put me back on the bubble,  but I think he has a chance. He is essentially Gus,  Freeze or Briles.  They all have had some wins,  two in very tough places to win.  So give the guy a chance.

TexasHog

Research done here you go
Both CBB and Morris coached their first 3 seasons at their respective schools after bad seasons with an interim.
Morris first 3 years 14-22
CBB first 3 years 18-20 in a way stronger conference.

SMU football records.                                                                          Arkansas football record

2017 Morris 7-5                                                                                 2017 Bielema 4-8
2016 Morris 5-7                                                                                 2016 Bielema 7-6
2015 Morris 2-10                                                                               2015 Bielema 8-5
2014 Jones went 0-2 then resigned and the team finished 1-11             2014 Bielema 7-6
2013 Jones 5-7                                                                                  2013 Bielema 3-9
2012 Jones 7-6                                                                                  2012 John L 4-8
2011 Jones 8-5                                                                                  2011 Petrino 11-2
2010 Jones 7-7                                                                                  2010 Petrino 10-3

source https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/southern-methodist/

SMU National Recruiting Class Rankings
2018 ranked 70 Morris
2017 ranked 80 Morris
2016 ranked 75 Morris
2015 ranked 81 Morris
2014 ranked 80
2013 ranked 72 Jones
2012 ranked 70 Jones
2011 ranked 67 Jones
2010 ranked 66 Jones

Source https://247sports.com/college/southern-methodist/Season/2017-Football/Commits

Should have just kept Bielema if this is the best we could do.

Hogsolo

Quote from: regi on December 05, 2017, 08:56:23 pm
I was not excited,  thought he would be hard to sell,  but,  actually looking at his body of work,  I think he has a chance. I will see how he does with this class,  if he does not do as well as I think, put me back on the bubble,  but I think he has a chance. He is essentially Gus,  Freeze or Briles.  They all have had some wins,  two in very tough places to win.  So give the guy a chance.

Agree

RicebirdHog

Might as well have brought Houston Nutt back. What a horrible hire.

Hogimus Prime

This is like thinking you're gonna get a newer Dodge Charger RT but end up with an 07 Impala SS.  Yeah it's a SS with a 300hp but it's front wheel drive and well boring. 

Roaringboar

Quote from: deedster84 on December 05, 2017, 08:53:22 pm
Don't dismiss this so easily. Other Texas HS coaches saying. "you can trust this man", means a lot to some leaving Texas for the first time.

No, not with kids these days.....that's a fantasy.....kids want to play for one of two types of people......the person who will get them to the pros or championship level, or the person who they feel has the most charisma.......Patterson and Fisher will get players to the next level no doubt, and Herman and Kingsbury, though I'm not saying Kingsbury is great but better than Morris, are younger and relate better to the youth......they won't need to leave Texas because Texas football is strong again, and even if they do, they are going to go LSU, Bama, Michigan, Ohio State, Clemson, Florida, etc., etc. before Arkansas.....Moris couldn't get a TOP 70 CLASS IN HIS HOME STATE......if he was so great, coaches would've helped him there at SMU get top notch talent, and he couldn't even get that.......and no it's not impressive what he's done with low level talent because he's in the AAC and their SOS was not impressive.....that conference was held up this year by UCF, USF, and Memphis......after that they all look like an average League of 5 team......Morris' HS ties are just a B.S selling point.....people need to stop falling for it....if they wanted a HS guy, get someone here in state like PA's coach.....someone who can keep the top notch talent in this state HERE......I'm not sure Morris can do that either.....

Hog Red

My Chad Morris research-
14-22 head coaching record. Won against two teams with a winning record this year (Ark St., North Texas). Defense ranked #122 (out of #130) in yds/g allowed. Lost 3 of last 4. Beat Cincinnati in OT, Tulsa by 4, and Tulane by 3.  I could understand him being a candidate if this was his first year at SMU and he won 7, but this was his 3rd. Kiffin would have been a much better hire.

deedster84

Quote from: Roaringboar on December 05, 2017, 08:51:08 pm
And where the f do you guys get all of your wonderful info who are pushing this "wonderful horrible hire" b.s. all over the place....same sources....google.....those of us who hate like the hire just seem to know a bit more about college football than the rest of you I'm afraid......

FIFY..... Tit for tat......

Arthur pigby sellers.

He has a chance to be successful here but it's a slim one.  Facing Jimbo, Gus and Saint Nick on a yearly basis with less talent requires a great coach not a good one.  Nothing about his resume shows potential greatness to me.

26.2Hog

Quote from: Kevin on December 05, 2017, 07:40:49 pm
You don't have to sell a Ferrari but you sure have to sell a yugo

Classic.

Roaringboar

Quote from: deedster84 on December 05, 2017, 09:05:21 pm
FIFY..... Tit for tat......

Yeah, sure.....you had to change it because truth is you guys are just as bad as the Bielemers.....only at least with him you might find some stats to support him, with this guy there's nothing.....you give him credit for rebuilding Clemson despite the fact he's not the HC.......that's like saying Saban didn't rebuild Bama, it was just guys like Smart who did it for him.....foolishness.....get real......

redleg

Just shut down the football program. All these folks on here know better than the powers that be at the UA, so just cancel the 2018 season until they hire a coach that THEY say is good enough. No seriously, screw em. They don't know what they are doing in the Arkansas athletic department. I can't believe they didn't consult some of you!
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

deedster84

Quote from: Roaringboar on December 05, 2017, 09:08:36 pm
Yeah, sure.....you had to change it because truth is you guys are just as bad as the Bielemers.....only at least with him you might find some stats to support him, with this guy there's nothing.....you give him credit for rebuilding Clemson despite the fact he's not the HC.......that's like saying Saban didn't rebuild Bama, it was just guys like Smart who did it for him.....foolishness.....get real......

Since you KNOW so much your fame must be spread far and wide. Where are your research papers on why he will not succeed? Has your work been fact checked by anyone? And why the hell were you not on any search committee for the coach? You know with all your exacting knowledge on the situation.

Chuck Beavers

What does your research say about him going head-to-head recruiting against Saban, Malzahn, Fisher, Orgeron, Herman, or Smart? We'd love to see that. That's who he is competing against. This is what people are concerned about, not whether he can put together a good game plan.

Chuck Beavers

Quote from: jabberjawls on December 05, 2017, 08:55:52 pm
Notice this comes from a guy with 41 posts. 

You guys who think your post count is some kind of IQ meter crack me up.

Roaringboar

Quote from: deedster84 on December 05, 2017, 09:19:07 pm
Since you KNOW so much your fame must be spread far and wide. Where are your research papers on why he will not succeed? Has your work been fact checked by anyone? And why the hell were you not on any search committee for the coach? You know with all your exacting knowledge on the situation.

Just like the Bielemers.....no facts to backup your claims so you just attack the other person with hopes that sticks better than the fake b.s. you guys keep trying to sell.....only now you're new Bielema is Morris.......

Roaringboar

Quote from: redleg on December 05, 2017, 09:12:06 pm
Just shut down the football program. All these folks on here know better than the powers that be at the UA, so just cancel the 2018 season until they hire a coach that THEY say is good enough. No seriously, screw em. They don't know what they are doing in the Arkansas athletic department. I can't believe they didn't consult some of you!

I know right.......thanks for your vote of confidence......

deedster84

Quote from: Chuck Beavers on December 05, 2017, 09:27:35 pm
You guys who think your post count is some kind of IQ meter crack me up.

On this we do agree

jgcat4

I can't even comment anymore. I'm so tired of arguing with these sunshine pumpers. It sucks. He's not a winner and we're tired of being losers.
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

jabberjawls

Quote from: TexasHog on December 05, 2017, 08:56:53 pm
Research done here you go
Both CBB and Morris coached their first 3 seasons at their respective schools after bad seasons with an interim.
Morris first 3 years 14-22
CBB first 3 years 18-20 in a way stronger conference.

SMU football records.                                                                          Arkansas football record

2017 Morris 7-5                                                                                 2017 Bielema 4-8
2016 Morris 5-7                                                                                 2016 Bielema 7-6
2015 Morris 2-10                                                                               2015 Bielema 8-5
2014 Jones went 0-2 then resigned and the team finished 1-11             2014 Bielema 7-6
2013 Jones 5-7                                                                                  2013 Bielema 3-9
2012 Jones 7-6                                                                                  2012 John L 4-8
2011 Jones 8-5                                                                                  2011 Petrino 11-2
2010 Jones 7-7                                                                                  2010 Petrino 10-3

source https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/southern-methodist/

SMU National Recruiting Class Rankings
2018 ranked 70 Morris
2017 ranked 80 Morris
2016 ranked 75 Morris
2015 ranked 81 Morris
2014 ranked 80
2013 ranked 72 Jones
2012 ranked 70 Jones
2011 ranked 67 Jones
2010 ranked 66 Jones

Source https://247sports.com/college/southern-methodist/Season/2017-Football/Commits

Should have just kept Bielema if this is the best we could do.
The sad thing is that this wasn't all we could do.  It was all a particular person wanted to do.

DeltaBoy

He a proven winner and he going to do great!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

deedster84

Quote from: Roaringboar on December 05, 2017, 09:28:09 pm
Just like the Bielemers.....no facts to backup your claims so you just attack the other person with hopes that sticks better than the fake b.s. you guys keep trying to sell.....only now you're new Bielema is Morris.......

I never attacked anyone. He said, and I quote, "just seem to know more". So I was asking impertinent questions as to how he Knew.

My only statement originally was just saying that there was spreading of opinions on BOTH sides. I was the one attacked after that I believe.

Roaringboar

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 05, 2017, 09:36:22 pm
He a proven winner and he going to do great!

14-22.....winner....that's a very, very.....heck.....that's just outright wrong......next......

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: Roaringboar on December 05, 2017, 08:48:45 pm
Gus was a great Arkansas High School football coach.  I guess that don't mean chit in the SEC. lol
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Roaringboar

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on December 05, 2017, 09:44:01 pm
  Gus was a great Arkansas High School football coach.  I guess that don't mean chit in the SEC. lol

He was also great at A-State, and he was a coordinator when Auburn won a Natty with previous SEC coaching experience......Morris doesn't have a reputation close to Gus', but then again you guys all said he was a joke of a coach anyways and saying thank heavens when he passed on us so apparently it doesn't mean chit with him either......

HogPharmer

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on December 05, 2017, 09:00:16 pm
This is like thinking you're gonna get a newer Dodge Charger RT but end up with an 07 Impala SS.  Yeah it's a SS with a 300hp but it's front wheel drive and well boring.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Pork Twain

Most posters are too lazy to do any real research and just go along with whoever is the loudest.

Here is some info put together by a Vol fan.

Many people don't seem to know who Chad Morris is or what he is about. I spent the last few years living about 45 minutes outside of Clemson, SC and may be able to provide some additional insight from being around so many Clemson fans.

When Dabo was hired at Clemson, he got off to a very slow start, and was on the verge of being run out of town. In order to be successful, Clemson needed a complete turnaround on the offensive side of the ball. The 2010 Tiger offense was ranked ~90th in the country offensively.

Dabo turned to Chad Morris, who was then the OC at Tulsa after coaching HS football at a very high level in TX for several years. With Morris leading the O, the 2011 Clemson team ended up with the 20th best Offense in the country. The 2013 team was 9th in total offense. In his final year Morris, landed a commitment from Deshaun Watson before heading to take over a 1-11 SMU squad. Clemson's Offense after his departure is still largely the same one he installed while he was the OC. Rather than replace him with another hot OC, they opted to promote from within and keep the Offense basically the same.

At SMU, he walked into a real dumpster fire. June Jones had quit mid-season the previous year after several years of really weak recruiting. The 2014 SMU team was statistically at or very near the bottom of the charts for every category that matters.

Since taking over at SMU, Morris has driven a culture change similar to what Dabo did at Clemson and also turned the results around on the field. His team's results are rapdily trending up.

2014, the year prior to his arrival, SMU was literally one of the worst teams in the country (ranked 37 spots below where UT is currently located in the FPI). The 2014 team had an average point differential of -30.3 and managed a whopping 3228 yards of offense and 133 points for the entire season. (UT had 3493 yards and 238 points this year for reference)

Since Morris arrived at SMU, the team has been trending up drastically:

The SMU offense has gone from 269 yards/gm in 2014 to 494 yards/gm this year.

The scoring is up from 11.1 points/gm to 40.2 points/gm. As a result, the average point differential went from a -30 to a +5.

The team is also up from 1 win to 7 (heading for 8 with a bowl win this year)

The FPI ranking for the team is up from 127th to 67th (UT is 90th currently).

And the FPI Offensive Ranking is up from 119th to 21st.

He has managed all of this with the nearly empty roster left by June Jones when he bailed on SMU mid-season.
All 5 losses they had this season were to teams who are playing in bowl games this post-season.

He is a strong recruiter in the south with numerous contacts in the Texas area, but has proven he is able to recruit in the rest of the southeast as well.

While I don't think he is an absolute homerun hire, I think he is every bit as good as Venables from an X's and O's and Player Development standpoint. He would probably be quite a bit better than Venables as a figurehead due to his personality and demeanor as well.
His biggest issue from what I can see is that he chose to take an opportunity to go to a struggling school to build a head coaching resume probably 1 or 2 years too soon, while Venables stayed at Clemson as the DC.

Hopefully that info helps people to understand where Morris is coming from and why he isn't just "LOL, LOSING RECORD AT SMU, DOOLEY 2.0"

Also worth adding: It is rumored that if Morris comes here, he'd bring former Vol Marion Hobby (Clemson's former co-DC along with Venables) as his DC.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/