Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UA Spokesman no AD

Started by harrisburghog, December 01, 2017, 04:35:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

harrisburghog

UA spokesman: No AD decision

Story by Tom Murphy
Friday, December 1, 2017
FAYETTEVILLE -- A University of Arkansas, Fayetteville spokesman said Thursday the search for the school's permanent athletic director was moving briskly but has not reached its conclusion.
"We're still vetting candidates," said Mark Rushing, assistant vice chancellor for university relations. "No decision has been made."
Rushing's remarks followed widespread reports citing anonymous sources that said the university had hired Tulsa Athletic Director Derrick Gragg as the permanent replacement for Jeff Long.
    UA Chancellor Joe Steinmetz, who fired Long on Nov. 15, is consulting with a seven-member advisory committee in the athletic director's search. The school announced this week that it has hired the executive search firm Korn Ferry to vet candidates for a one-time fee of $75,000 plus out-of-pocket expenses.
Gragg, 48, spent Thursday afternoon in a meeting with the Tulsa University Board of Trustees, the Tulsa World reported, adding Gragg had no comment on the Arkansas job when he left the meeting.
John Hoover, a columnist in Tulsa and long-time reporter and columnist for the Tulsa World, posted on his Twitter account Thursday evening, "Source tells me Tulsa AD Derrick Gragg will 'interview' at Arkansas on Monday. TU's regular coaches meeting scheduled for then has been pushed back a week."
    Gragg is considered a leading candidate for the position. Sources familiar with the search said there were other candidates, including former Arkansas quarterback Kevin Scanlon, who is an executive vice president and director of the private client group at Stephens Inc., and Scott Varady, the executive director of the Razorback Foundation, the fundraising arm of the UA athletic department.
A native of Beaver Falls, Pa., Scanlon is a 1979 UA graduate who holds the single-season record for completion percentage (66.2) in 1979.
Gragg is a former wide receiver at Vanderbilt who earned a doctorate at Arkansas in 2004. He joined the UA athletic department in 2000 and was promoted to senior associate athletic director in 2003. He is a native of Huntsville, Ala.
The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette received a copy of Long's release agreement on Thursday following a Freedom of Information Act request. The agreement stipulates Long's severance payment, which has been previously reported by the Democrat-Gazette, of $83,333.33 per month from the date of his firing on Nov. 15 through the end of his contract on June 30, 2022. The total of the release payment is $4.625 million, which is to be offset on a monthly basis by any future employment by Long.
The release agreement, officially between the UA Board of Trustees and Long, states that Long has "an affirmative duty of mitigation to diligently seek and to obtain other employment."
Under section 11 of the agreement, titled "Disclosure of Agreement and Non-Disparagement," is the following language:
"The Parties agree not to make disparaging remarks regarding each other and to state, if asked, that any differences between them were resolved on an amicable basis."
The release agreement was signed by UA System President Donald R. Bobbitt, Steinmetz and Long.

Hoggle

Not a done deal. A ray of hope. Get Scanlon and be done.

SchrodingersHog

I hope it's not Gragg or a similar AD.  Get an AD with a blah record from Tulsa?  Tulsa?  People would go crazy if a coach of the same qualifications were hired.  An AD makes decisions that can influence the program for years.  The choice of an AD is just as, if not more, important than the choice of a head coach.  If anyone doubts that, just think Jeff Long.

ricepig

Quote from: SchrodingersHog on December 01, 2017, 07:56:32 am
I hope it's not Gragg or a similar AD.  Get an AD with a blah record from Tulsa?  Tulsa?  People would go crazy if a coach of the same qualifications were hired.  An AD makes decisions that can influence the program for years.  The choice of an AD is just as, if not more, important than the choice of a head coach.  If anyone doubts that, just think Jeff Long.
So....Tim Horton for AD, or HC?

SchrodingersHog

Quote from: ricepig on December 01, 2017, 07:58:55 am
So....Tim Horton for AD, or HC?

If Gragg really is the pick for AD, we might as well hire Horton. 

Then we would look back on the Long/Bielema years with nostalgia.

rljjr

You realize he has spent years at Arkansas in the athletic department and has his PhD from Ark. That checks the Ark ties. He's a former WR from Vanderbilt. That covers the football experience part. He's a sitting AD. That covers the experience part. The guy is qualified all the way around.

Razorbackers

Name one coach with the same qualifications as Gragg.

SchrodingersHog

rljjr

ipigsooie

Quote from: rljjr on December 01, 2017, 08:09:19 am
You realize he has spent years at Arkansas in the athletic department and has his PhD from Ark. That checks the Ark ties. He's a former WR from Vanderbilt. That covers the football experience part. He's a sitting AD. That covers the experience part. The guy is qualified all the way around.

I agree but I also see the point of the other side that questions his hires. Why would he hire Frank Haith?    That makes no sense after the mess he left behind in Missouri.

PORKULATOR

PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT HIS RECORD? We're not hiring him as a coach. We're trying to hire a sports minded beaurcrat. It's what the job is.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Hogtimes

December 01, 2017, 08:24:01 am #11 Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:04:41 am by Hogtimes

Some fans on the Tulsa rivals board are celebrating.  It appears those fans have wanted to get rid of him for a couple of years. 

Hogs run wild

i'm not thrilled with Gragg. we need someone that can reach the deep pocket donors and the common fans at the same time. Scanlon could do it.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

hassettsportsman

A good friend hired Gragg for his first UA job.  If he is the selection, how much influence will it carry with current Hogs and future recruits that he is African American?  How will that impact fundraising if he's given that role too?

Kneph13

If Gragg is hired, it will be a mistake, just like if Gus is hired.
There is no Political Correctness in war

The_Iceman

So much ignorance in this thread.

elkhog

Quote from: harrisburghog on December 01, 2017, 04:35:19 am

Story by Tom Murphy
Friday, December 1, 2017
FAYETTEVILLE -- A University of Arkansas, Fayetteville spokesman said Thursday the search for the school's permanent athletic director was moving briskly but has not reached its conclusion.
"We're still vetting candidates," said Mark Rushing, assistant vice chancellor for university relations. "No decision has been made."
Rushing's remarks followed widespread reports citing anonymous sources that said the university had hired Tulsa Athletic Director Derrick Gragg as the permanent replacement for Jeff Long.
    UA Chancellor Joe Steinmetz, who fired Long on Nov. 15, is consulting with a seven-member advisory committee in the athletic director's search. The school announced this week that it has hired the executive search firm Korn Ferry to vet candidates for a one-time fee of $75,000 plus out-of-pocket expenses.
Gragg, 48, spent Thursday afternoon in a meeting with the Tulsa University Board of Trustees, the Tulsa World reported, adding Gragg had no comment on the Arkansas job when he left the meeting.
John Hoover, a columnist in Tulsa and long-time reporter and columnist for the Tulsa World, posted on his Twitter account Thursday evening, "Source tells me Tulsa AD Derrick Gragg will 'interview' at Arkansas on Monday. TU's regular coaches meeting scheduled for then has been pushed back a week."
    Gragg is considered a leading candidate for the position. Sources familiar with the search said there were other candidates, including former Arkansas quarterback Kevin Scanlon, who is an executive vice president and director of the private client group at Stephens Inc., and Scott Varady, the executive director of the Razorback Foundation, the fundraising arm of the UA athletic department.
A native of Beaver Falls, Pa., Scanlon is a 1979 UA graduate who holds the single-season record for completion percentage (66.2) in 1979.
Gragg is a former wide receiver at Vanderbilt who earned a doctorate at Arkansas in 2004. He joined the UA athletic department in 2000 and was promoted to senior associate athletic director in 2003. He is a native of Huntsville, Ala.
The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette received a copy of Long's release agreement on Thursday following a Freedom of Information Act request. The agreement stipulates Long's severance payment, which has been previously reported by the Democrat-Gazette, of $83,333.33 per month from the date of his firing on Nov. 15 through the end of his contract on June 30, 2022. The total of the release payment is $4.625 million, which is to be offset on a monthly basis by any future employment by Long.
The release agreement, officially between the UA Board of Trustees and Long, states that Long has "an affirmative duty of mitigation to diligently seek and to obtain other employment."
Under section 11 of the agreement, titled "Disclosure of Agreement and Non-Disparagement," is the following language:
"The Parties agree not to make disparaging remarks regarding each other and to state, if asked, that any differences between them were resolved on an amicable basis."
The release agreement was signed by UA System President Donald R. Bobbitt, Steinmetz and Long.

Well someone better tell the local news stations because they are saying he is it.
GO HOGS!!!

elkhog

Quote from: Kneph13 on December 01, 2017, 08:44:45 am
If Gragg is hired, it will be a mistake, just like if Gus is hired.

Don't know about Gragg, but Gus would not be a mistake.
GO HOGS!!!

MissippHog

^^^^

SchrodingersHog

Quote from: hassettsportsman on December 01, 2017, 08:41:22 am
A good friend hired Gragg for his first UA job.  If he is the selection, how much influence will it carry with current Hogs and future recruits that he is African American?  How will that impact fundraising if he's given that role too?

Since you mentioned the AA thing, I'm going to come right out and admit my real reason for opposing Gragg.  I know I will be labeled a prejudiced bigot, but I might as well say it.

The the guy is an ALABAMIAN.  Born in Huntsville, Alabama.  Replace the Carpetbagger with an ALABAMIAN?  NOOOOOOOO!

jimhog

Vett in depth. We don't need someone to come here and get the school put on probation.

010HogFan

LOL this thread is so bad. He would do fine here and I hope it's him.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I like Tom Murphy, but I refuse to read any further than "University of Arkansas, Fayetteville"
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: jimhog on December 01, 2017, 09:51:32 am
Vett in depth. We don't need someone to come here and get the school put on probation.

As previously mentioned, he's from Alabama; they know how to avoid probation.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

TNarch

Quote from: Hogtimes on December 01, 2017, 08:24:01 am
Fans on the Tulsa rivals board are celebrating.  It appears that they have wanted to get rid of him for a couple of years.
And some Hog fans were celebrating when Ken Hatfield left.  He is still has the best W-L record of any Razorback coach.

cjack

Quote from: harrisburghog on December 01, 2017, 04:35:19 am

Story by Tom Murphy
Friday, December 1, 2017

That was the most interesting thing to me.  Kind of like fighting on the way to church.   "I hate you.  Yeah, I hate you too.  Everyone act like everything was fine and smile for the cameras."
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Westcoasthog

Kevin Scanlon fits the qualifications to be the Arkansas Athletic Director.

tkhog

Quote from: SchrodingersHog on December 01, 2017, 09:00:25 am
Since you mentioned the AA thing, I'm going to come right out and admit my real reason for opposing Gragg.  I know I will be labeled a prejudiced bigot, but I might as well say it.

The the guy is an ALABAMIAN.  Born in Huntsville, Alabama.  Replace the Carpetbagger with an ALABAMIAN?  NOOOOOOOO!

His name is carved in on the sidewalk on campus. Is yours?

BorderPatrol

Quote from: tkhog on December 01, 2017, 12:25:15 pm
His name is carved in on the sidewalk on campus. Is yours?

He doesn't know what you are referring to.

bp

HogCard

Something to me seems very odd about the TV stations all saying Gragg and then everyone going, hey not so fast.  Are we waiting for the game tomorrow?  Who knows, maybe Gragg does not like Gus or vice versa.  Maybe there is a deal in place if Auburn wins and Gus stays.  Maybe not if Gus loses and he comes home. 

Maybe he was offered thinking Gus had signed the extension and then we heard he had not signed it?

kp72204

Quote from: HogCard on December 01, 2017, 01:49:09 pm
Something to me seems very odd about the TV stations all saying Gragg and then everyone going, hey not so fast.  Are we waiting for the game tomorrow?  Who knows, maybe Gragg does not like Gus or vice versa.  Maybe there is a deal in place if Auburn wins and Gus stays.  Maybe not if Gus loses and he comes home. 

Maybe he was offered thinking Gus had signed the extension and then we heard he had not signed it?
Yeah i believe that as well. It's done deal one way or the other. If Gus wins then he stays and next coach will think they are the 1st option. Gus loses and will be new coach Monday. Don't care either way, i just want to start trying to salvage recruiting for next year.

zuko

I thought where people come from is no longer an issue any longer.

Mike Irwin

Steinmetz wanted Gragg and it appeared that he had the votes to hire him. The word leaked all over town Thursday morning but three separate factions that want Tom Tuberville, Kevin Scanlon or Tim Horton raised objections so now Gragg will have to come over and interview either Sunday or Monday depending on who you talk to. Only one of those factions has a vote on the committee so unless something changes it will still be Gragg.

The real Hogules

I'd be happy with Derrick Gragg and thrilled with Kevin Scanlon. Tommy Tubberville, or little Timmy Horton, not so much.

I'm apparently behind on the latest info, I though that I had read that Kevin Scanlon wasn't willing to move from Little Rock. Has that since changed, or was it just bad information?
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

factchecker

Quote from: Mike Irwin on December 01, 2017, 03:00:22 pm
that want Tom Tuberville

Whoever wants Tubs needs to be identified and have the following explained to them.

Tuberville is not a Razorback.

He never stepped foot on campus as a student.

Never played for the Razorbacks.

Never coached the Razorbacks.

Coached against the Razorbacks and said nothing smells worse than a wet hog.

Got in an argument with a fan (while walking off the field) when he was at Cincinnati.

Left Texas Tech during the middle of a recruiting dinner to take a job at Cincinnati.

ZERO EXPERIENCE as an athletic director.

Just because you are from Arkansas doesn't mean you are a Razorback.

Just because someone says something nice about wms doesn't mean they should be our AD.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

donbro

Quote from: Hogs run wild on December 01, 2017, 08:29:33 am
i'm not thrilled with Gragg. we need someone that can reach the deep pocket donors and the common fans at the same time. Scanlon could do it.
What exactly is the comment fan

wachhog

Quote from: SchrodingersHog on December 01, 2017, 08:05:33 am
If Gragg really is the pick for AD, we might as well hire Horton. 

Then we would look back on the Long/Bielema years with nostalgia.
Never. There is absolutely nobody they could hire who would make me look back on the Long-Bielema debacle with anything but disgust. NOBODY. If we never when another game, I will still view the situation favorably compared to the Long-Bielema era. Because it didn't have to be.

Inhogswetrust

Good grief what insanity ward do you idiots come from. There have been a lot of Razorback greats AND administrators including Frank that BUILT the program into what it became that is NOT from Arkansas.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Steinmetz wanted Gragg and it appeared that he had the votes to hire him. The word leaked all over town Thursday morning but three separate factions that want Tom Tuberville, Kevin Scanlon or Tim Horton raised objections so now Gragg will have to come over and interview either Sunday or Monday depending on who you talk to. Only one of those factions has a vote on the committee so unless something changes it will still be Gragg.

I certainly hope so. He would be better than any of the three mentioned those factions want instead.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 01, 2017, 10:00:33 am
As previously mentioned, he's from Alabama; they know how to avoid probation.

No they don't they've been skewered quite a few times.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hogtimes on December 01, 2017, 08:24:01 am
Some fans on the Tulsa rivals board are celebrating.  It appears those fans have wanted to get rid of him for a couple of years. 

True no matter who the AD is at any school.

factchecker

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 01, 2017, 06:23:46 pm
Good grief what insanity ward do you idiots come from. There have been a lot of Razorback greats AND administrators including Frank that BUILT the program into what it became that is NOT from Arkansas.

they want a good ol' boy from Camden because he made them feel good about their city at a touchdown club.

tubs might be a mulerider, a rebel, a tiger, a red raider, and/or a bearcat but he is NOT a razorback.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: factchecker on December 01, 2017, 06:27:43 pm
they want a good ol' boy from Camden because he made them feel good about their city at a touchdown club.

tubs might be a mulerider, a rebel, a tiger, a red raider, and/or a bearcat but he is NOT a razorback.

I'm from Camden and don't want TT.

(notOM)Rebel123

Hearing tonight it may be Gragg...anyone have anything?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

factchecker

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 01, 2017, 06:44:24 pm
I'm from Camden and don't want TT.

It's not the city of Camden who he made feel good.

It's the Baz (LR Touchdown Club) and the wms commission that he buttered up.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

greasy_corner

Quote from: factchecker on December 01, 2017, 06:04:09 pm
Whoever wants Tubs needs to be identified and have the following explained to them.

Got in an argument with a fan (while walking off the field) when he was at Cincinnati.

Left Texas Tech during the middle of a recruiting dinner to take a job at Cincinnati.

Just because someone says something nice about wms doesn't mean they should be our AD.

Damn fine post.  I agree wholeheartedly.

TrueBlue

That's a shame. Should be Scanlon. Gragg has made poor decisions @ Tulsa.

hog.goblin

Quote from: factchecker on December 01, 2017, 06:04:09 pm

AND, Ole Tom thinks coaching is overrated.  He said it's all about recruiting the best players.  Sure, that's a big part of it, but so is coaching.

Bring Dr. Gragg home.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 01, 2017, 06:25:39 pm
No they don't they've been skewered quite a few times.

Naw, when bama gets busted UAB loses their program!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

BorderPatrol

Quote from: TrueBlue on December 01, 2017, 07:26:27 pm
That's a shame. Should be Scanlon. Gragg has made poor decisions @ Tulsa.

What kind of a experience does Scanlon have running an athletic department?

bp