Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Woodz Elite

Started by yraciv, November 22, 2017, 06:13:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

yraciv

Not sure what to think about this. Marcus Monk and Nick Mason partnering with Ron Crawford and the Wings on the AAU scene. Kevin, do you have any insight?

Amityvillehogger

Loyalty, Integrity, Family, Respect

Bwwwhahahaha.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Kevin McPherson

November 22, 2017, 06:42:41 pm #2 Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 06:56:18 pm by Kevin McPherson
Quote from: yraciv on November 22, 2017, 06:13:03 pm
Not sure what to think about this. Marcus Monk and Nick Mason partnering with Ron Crawford and the Wings on the AAU scene. Kevin, do you have any insight?

Been hearing about this for a long time.  I'm going to stay quiet -- for now -- well, I won't go in depth regarding my thoughts and conversations on this, other than to say I don't think this is good for grassroots basketball in Arkansas, and I don't think this is good news for the Hogs.

Kevin McPherson

mbgrulz

The state should seriously band together and do what they can to railroad this bull crap. Mason should have to pick between his radio show and this BS. 

bville_hog

Isn't Marcus a sport agent? 

hogwood

Someone please get these flea bags out of our state and shut this down. Kevin can you please use your powers and protect our state? Team up with Bill Ingram and Fitz Hill?Please?

What happened with Bobby Portis sponsoring the Wings? I thought they were called "Portis Wings Elite"?? Surely he wouldn't put up with this.

bville_hog

Nick Mason listed his cell number on that flyer....just sayin

ShadowHawg

Crawford is the worst. You don't climb as high as he did in AAU without getting some stank on you. He isn't pro Hog either.

hawkhawg

Quote from: yraciv on November 22, 2017, 06:13:03 pm

I thought I heard Crawford is not involved with the wings anymore.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: hawkhawg on November 22, 2017, 11:00:01 pm

He's not.

yraciv

So many questions about this:

Will the Arkansas Wings be no more and all teams in the program go by Woodz Elite? Or will it be a situation where there will be both Woodz and Wings teams?

Will Marcus Monk operate as Ron Crawford used to by coaching and running the show or is that Mason's role? What role does Bryan Adams have?

And most importantly how will this impact development of in state basketball players? And ultimately players that feed into Arkansas?

Look I'm not one of those guys that had a problem with Malik going to UK because I get the appeal, and it worked for him.  That being said the Monk/Mason contingent has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Then again a lot of people in the AAU business do this. Plus I'm not sure they are qualified enough to lead the next wave of Arkansas high school talent. Maybe it will push more talent to the Hawks because I've got a lot more respect for Bill Ingram.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: hawkhawg on November 22, 2017, 11:00:01 pm

Not directly anymore. I really like the coaches and the leadership of the Wings, but like I said earlier ITT my thoughts right now are that I don't think this merger is a good thing.

PorkRinds

Well, Marcus will be steering players to the highest bidder. That's what he does isnt it?

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: yraciv on November 22, 2017, 11:59:08 pm
So many questions about this:

Will the Arkansas Wings be no more and all teams in the program go by Woodz Elite? Or will it be a situation where there will be both Woodz and Wings teams?

Will Marcus Monk operate as Ron Crawford used to by coaching and running the show or is that Mason's role? What role does Bryan Adams have?

And most importantly how will this impact development of in state basketball players? And ultimately players that feed into Arkansas?

Look I'm not one of those guys that had a problem with Malik going to UK because I get the appeal, and it worked for him.  That being said the Monk/Mason contingent has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Then again a lot of people in the AAU business do this. Plus I'm not sure they are qualified enough to lead the next wave of Arkansas high school talent. Maybe it will push more talent to the Hawks because I've got a lot more respect for Bill Ingram.

Bryan told me the Wings will be the younger age groups and the secondary teams on the 16 and 17 levels, and that the 16s and 17s that play on Nike EYBL will be "Woodz Elite." If that's the case, then I envision Bryan running the Wings part of it and Marcus the Woodz Elite part of it. The coaches are pretty much set and the same, but with some re-emerging names.

Agree with most of your concerns regarding how this may play out. I have always liked Bryan, and he was very pleasant when I expressed concerns and asked questions.

The Hogfather

Have to love how they don't even know how to pluralize their name.  Go Monk's!

bville_hog

It's like they just handed over the whole organization to these too clowns. Did they just use Malik's money to buy it?

Arkansas should let it be known if you associate in any way with this org, you won't be coming to Ark.

hogwood

Quote from: bville_hog on November 23, 2017, 07:46:44 am
It's like they just handed over the whole organization to these too clowns. Did they just use Malik's money to buy it?

Arkansas should let it be known if you associate in any way with this org, you won't be coming to Ark.

Yes how could this even happen? How does one of the most hated men in Arkansas basketball just take over a very important AAU team in Arkansas? He must have a lot more allies than we think, or something very fishy is going down. Man, I just thought the Hogs had more loyalists in these positions than to allow this to happen. Sickening.

hogwood

By the way, can anyone answer what happened to the Portis Wings Elite? Was that just temporary? I thought Bobby was sponsoring them very recently.

bville_hog

Also can someone clarify between the wings and the hawks?  Our recent recruits played for the hawks, but seems before that the good players were on the wings.  Has this shifted?  What about the players we are recruiting? 

Hopefully the hawks are the team the ark elite players will chose going forward.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: hogwood on November 23, 2017, 08:21:01 am
By the way, can anyone answer what happened to the Portis Wings Elite? Was that just temporary? I thought Bobby was sponsoring them very recently.

Yes, in 2016.

Porked Tongue

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: bville_hog on November 23, 2017, 08:41:58 am
Also can someone clarify between the wings and the hawks?  Our recent recruits played for the hawks, but seems before that the good players were on the wings.  Has this shifted?  What about the players we are recruiting? 

Hopefully the hawks are the team the ark elite players will chose going forward.

Two different programs, both have enjoyed great success and had players go on to be Razorbacks and beyond over the years. Wings are on the Nike circuit (Corliss Williamson, Bobby Portis, Daniel Gafford are just a few of the Wings-to-Hogs), Hawks are on the Adidas circuit (Joe Johnson, Ronnie Brewer, Daryl Macon are just a few of the Hawks-to-Hogs).

Half of the Hogs' recent 6-player haul on national signing day for the c/o 2018 were Arkansas Hawks -- Ethan Henderson, Isaiah Joe, and Desi Sills. The Hawks also have the Hogs' lone c/o 2019 commitment in Justice Hill, plus 3 more of the state's top 5 c/o '19 ballers in Tim Ceaser, Isaac McBride, and Allen Flanigan (although Ceeaser and McBride joined the Hawks in July, so we'll see if they return) ... Wings have c/o '19 ballers Collin Moore and Michael Shanks. Most of the top players in the 2020 class are with the Wings -- Chris Moore, Gerald Doakes, Davonte Davis -- and most of the top players in the 2021 class are with the Hawks -- Jaylin Williams, Jalen Ricks, Ryan Maxwell, and Jordan Maxwell.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Moses Moody (top player in c/o '20 who I believe may end up with the Wings) and Madison Peaster (arguably the top player in c/o '21 who last spring/summer was involved with, in order, the Hawks, the Wings, Joe Johnson Elite, and finally Team Superstar South w/Moody).

bville_hog

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on November 23, 2017, 09:12:39 am
Two different programs, both have enjoyed great success and had players go on to be Razorbacks and beyond over the years. Wings are on the Nike circuit (Corliss Williamson, Bobby Portis, Daniel Gafford are just a few of the Wings-to-Hogs), Hawks are on the Adidas circuit (Joe Johnson, Ronnie Brewer, Daryl Macon are just a few of the Hawks-to-Hogs).

Half of the Hogs' recent 6-player haul on national signing day for the c/o 2018 were Arkansas Hawks -- Ethan Henderson, Isaiah Joe, and Desi Sills. The Hawks also have the Hogs' lone c/o 2019 commitment in Justice Hill, plus 3 more of the state's top 5 c/o '19 ballers in Tim Ceaser, Isaac McBride, and Allen Flanigan (although Ceeaser and McBride joined the Hawks in July, so we'll see if they return) ... Wings have c/o '19 ballers Collin Moore and Michael Shanks. Most of the top players in the 2020 class are with the Wings -- Chris Moore, Gerald Doakes, Davonte Davis -- and most of the top players in the 2021 class are with the Hawks -- Jaylin Williams, Jalen Ricks, Ryan Maxwell, and Jordan Maxwell.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Moses Moody (top player in c/o '20 who I believe may end up with the Wings) and Madison Peaster (arguably the top player in c/o '21 who last spring/summer was involved with, in order, the Hawks, the Wings, Joe Johnson Elite, and finally Team Superstar South w/Moody).

Thanks for the detailed explanation Kevin, and I also really appreciate all the great basketball info you bring to these boards!

SRV

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on November 23, 2017, 09:12:39 am

Great info Kevin, but very discouraging.
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

3kgthog

What's the FBI tip number? Some of y'all on the "inside" may need it in the next couple of years.

JayHog

Almost all of the best ballers in the upcoming classes are going to be playing for the Wings. This was a HUGE blow to Razorback basketball and I feel like this will lead me to hating Marcus even more.
Please, I hope nobody pays to attend any more of his stupid tournaments, or pays him any sponsorship money. We need him to fall flat on his face and get out of the AAU business in Arkansas.
Go do AAU basketball in Kentucky!

Porked Tongue

Probably been planned since Malik went to Bentonville with Crawford's "help".

FineAsSwine

Winning some big time games this year and making a run in the tournament can bring some excitement back to the Razorback brand among the youth and make Arkansas offers highly coveted by instate kids regardless of what AAU team they play for. That's what I'm hoping to see. Make them chase offers from us, not the other way around.

Tusks

I can't believe these guys were allowed back into the state.  Everyone now knows where the Monk's stand, they need to be running AAU in Kentucky not Arkansas.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: tusked on November 24, 2017, 11:27:00 am
I can't believe these guys were allowed back into the state.  Everyone now knows where the Monk's stand, they need to be running AAU in Kentucky not Arkansas.

Problem is, they are a nobody in Kentucky. They couldn't care less who Marcus Monk or his tiny tim friend is.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

NWAHog479

Have a good season, establish good relationships with the kids, and it will be cool to want to play for the Razorbacks again. Wings are a Nike team and Arkansas is a Nike school. Not every kid has the talent that Malik did and had the option to pick any school in the country to attend. I know Joe Johnson has his own team that has Jordan Brand jerseys, so he might be able to sponsor the Hawks too much, but it'd be cool to see other guys like himself and Bobby continue to sponsor teams. I'm just surprised somebody handed the keys over to Marcus and Nick Mason?

draftkings33

This is disgusting to hear

3kgthog

Quote from: NWAHog479 on November 27, 2017, 09:41:45 am
I'm just surprised somebody handed the keys over to Marcus and Nick Mason?

This is my issue. Other than promises of $$$$$$$, why in the heck would you do this? Joe, Corliss, Bobby and many others have much more clout than those two clowns. I'd love to see them start up their own AAU program here. Is that even possible?

Who are you gonna trust, one guy with rings and one with more money than God or the two Hog turncoats that have nothing to offer?

outlawhogeywells

Hit them where it hurts.  Since Nick works for one of the morning call in shows.  Contact that show and show your displeasure.  Sponsors talk about pulling ads as long as Nick is associated with the show.  As others have said not buy sponsorships to the Woodz, don't give them financial help.

The_Bionic_Pig

This is the equivalent to Dark Vadar running UNICEF.... he's only in it to fund the Death Star aka Kentucky.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Letsroll1200

Love it! I hope alot of young people get a opportunity to showcase their talent and get their college paid for.

hawkhawg

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 28, 2017, 09:18:02 am
This is my issue. Other than promises of $$$$$$$, why in the heck would you do this? Joe, Corliss, Bobby and many others have much more clout than those two clowns. I'd love to see them start up their own AAU program here. Is that even possible?

Who are you gonna trust, one guy with rings and one with more money than God or the two Hog turncoats that have nothing to offer?

This new guy probably does not have the connection to the old players that Ron Crawford did. 

247Hog

Quote from: mbgrulz on November 22, 2017, 06:59:13 pm
The state should seriously band together and do what they can to railroad this bull crap. Mason should have to pick between his radio show and this BS.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

mhuff

Don't quite understand why people in Arkansas are not vociferously objecting to this Trojan Horse .

hoboco

the monks are traders go to kentucky for your money grab and take nick mason with you

azhog10

Send your kids to the Hawks. Don't play for Wings or Woodz or whatever they want to be called. Ingram seems to be doing a great job with the Hawks organization and more of his kids go to UA than Wings players it seems of late.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 28, 2017, 02:21:16 pm
Love it! I hope alot of young people get a opportunity to showcase their talent and get their college paid for.
no, Nick. SOrry, buddy. You in bed with the wrong ones.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

LRHawg

If Bruce Banner were a Hog fan, this is where he would start turning green...

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 14, 2017, 10:50:33 pm
no, Nick. SOrrey, buddy. You in bed with the wrong ones.

Thank God basketball is viewed differently in central Arkansas.

Beached

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 15, 2017, 05:54:23 pm
Thank God basketball is viewed differently in central Arkansas.

How is it viewed in central Arkansas?

The Hogfather

Quote from: Beached on December 15, 2017, 07:13:31 pm

Get yours while you can, even if is shady business.  Education is nothing.  Focus on basketball.  Arkansas is not good enough.  If you go there, you can't ball out.  You have to go get paid at a school like UK or Florida.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Beached on December 15, 2017, 07:13:31 pm

We see the bigger picure. If they're playing summer basketball they are not in the streets of LR or NLR being unproductive. I could careless about a name because kids need opportunities. I hope Arkansas can get over yourselves about Monk. Monk is in the NBA and the Razorbacks program is thriving. The focus is abd should be about the kids. All I remember is Marcus giving his all on the football field and basketball court. Good student that didn't embarrass his family or school.

JayHog

December 16, 2017, 08:57:20 am #48 Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 11:23:17 pm by JayHog
Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 16, 2017, 07:57:27 am
We see the bigger picure. If they're playing summer basketball they are not in the streets of LR or NLR being unproductive. I could careless about a name because kids need opportunities. I hope Arkansas can get over yourselves about Monk. Monk is in the NBA and the Razorbacks program is thriving. The focus is abd should be about the kids. All I remember is Marcus giving his all on the football field and basketball court. Good student that didn't embarrass his family or school.

Well, he's embarrassing his school now!
Maybe he was a good guy back in the day. But people change.
Bottom line: You can't be underhanded... and you can't be shady... and you can't be misleading, then expect all to just be forgiven. Hell no. Get outta here with that mess

Letsroll1200

Quote from: JayHog on December 16, 2017, 08:57:20 am
Well, he's embarrassing his school now.
Maybe he was a good guy back in the day. But people change.
And, no, you can be underhanded, and you can't be shady and be misleading, then expect all to just be forgiven. Hell no. Get outta here with that

If Mike is good with the family, Im good. Move on!