5-4-2
9-3
6-6
5-5-1
3-8
4-8
5-6
7-5   1999

Is this an "elite 10 consecutive stretch? After those 10 years this team has been on a pretty good tear, what happened?
In 1999 they hired a new coach! That 7-5 record was his WORST record, he has had a couple of 8-4 or 9-3 seasons.

The team??? Oklahoma! Someone please tell me that it is the Jimmies and Joes! IT AIN"T, IT IS THE COACH!!! Oklahoma has always had talent just like the teams below.

Think this is a fluke? Go look up LSU from around the same time until they hired Saban. Look at Texas over the last 10 years. Go look up TA&M for the years before Sumlin and his number aren't really that good. Look at what Michigan has done since Carr retired.

Guys, IF and it is a BIG IF, we hire the RIGHT guy he can replicate and possibly even surpass Petrino or Hatfield or Lou. "Elite" and "rightful place" are just words, teams earn their standing right out on the field. With the right coach we can earn our way towards the top.

I'm not sure that we will ever reach the levels of Alabama, Clemson and Ohio St because I just don't see us ever being willing to develop a systematic cheating program.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: lakecityhog on November 22, 2017, 09:21:09 am
7-4   1989
8-39-3
5-4-2
9-3
6-6
5-5-1
3-8
4-8
5-6
7-5   1999

Is this an "elite 10 consecutive stretch? After those 10 years this team has been on a pretty good tear, what happened?
In 1999 they hired a new coach! That 7-5 record was his WORST record, he has had a couple of 8-4 or 9-3 seasons.

The team??? Oklahoma! Someone please tell me that it is the Jimmies and Joes! IT AIN"T, IT IS THE COACH!!! Oklahoma has always had talent just like the teams below.

Think this is a fluke? Go look up LSU from around the same time until they hired Saban. Look at Texas over the last 10 years. Go look up TA&M for the years before Sumlin and his number aren't really that good. Look at what Michigan has done since Carr retired.

Guys, IF and it is a BIG IF, we hire the RIGHT guy he can replicate and possibly even surpass Petrino or Hatfield or Lou. "Elite" and "rightful place" are just words, teams earn their standing right out on the field. With the right coach we can earn our way towards the top.

I'm not sure that we will ever reach the levels of Alabama, Clemson and Ohio St because I just don't see us ever being willing to develop a systematic cheating program.

Exactly. And where's Clemson been between Danny Ford and Dabo Swinney? Nowhere. The right coach at the right time is all the difference.

ipigsooie

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 22, 2017, 09:26:09 am
Exactly. And where's Clemson been between Danny Ford and Dabo Swinney? Nowhere. The right coach at the right time is all the difference.

What did those 2 have in common? Both were young and hungry. Personality attracts the best recruits.