Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Some more WMS/GSD chatter......

Started by ricepig, November 15, 2017, 07:36:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hawgwash on November 15, 2017, 10:42:53 am
WMS to UA:  Your football team needs $10 million in upgrades.

$4.5M just deposited...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Tusker4life

I am from Little Rock, and even though i don't go to as many games in either place anymore I do wish we could get better opponents for games in LR. That being said, i agree with the fact its time to move on from WMS. Hell lets build a stadium for central arkansas, lets build one that UAF, UCA, ASU, UAPB, ATU or anyone can use. Make it multipurpose and big enough we could try for a Dallas game, a soccer game, a big concert or hell even a dang bowl game. We cant expect to draw any attention with a run down old crap pile. I know it will require a tax orbig benefactor, but lets try it. But build it on some new empty land we can have ample parking and facilities and easy access to an interstate and hotels.
Cheering for Alabama because they are in the SEC is like cheering for the Devil because he is in the Bible...

bphi11ips

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 15, 2017, 09:37:38 am
Well if it is going to continue, they need to revitalize it and make it to where that one game is attractive from a venue standpoint and at least somewhat an opponent standpoint.  Also make the players, coaches and recruits not look at it negatively.  Make it an event again.  Or stop doing it. 

The real issue with WMS, other than money per game, is the curb appeal, or lack thereof.  WMS seats 54,000 and has since the 70s.  Look at Vaught-Hemingway.  It's capacity was 50,000 until 2001.  It didn't exceed 60,000 until 2016.  It is now at 65,000. 

What does Vaught-Hemingway have that WMS doesn't?  Luxury suites.  Built on the foundation of the old stadium like sci-fi beach condos.  INSTANT CURB APPEAL!!!  Add some ribbonboards and, voila, the Rebels have a "modern" stadium.

If you read between the lines, big money wants a game in Little Rock, and they expect SEC.  Asa Hutchinson said it is important to the state.  I have nothing to base this on other than a hunch, but my guess is that WMS is going to get a smaller (but more aesthetic) version of a Vaught-Hemingway makeover.  Financing will be handled similarly to the way the north end zone project was handled, but through the state rather than the Razorback Foundation.  Big money knows where the money is coming from, and they are willing to spend it, mostly because they love Arkansas and believe improvements to WMS are in its best interest.   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 15, 2017, 11:44:06 am
The real issue with WMS, other than money per game, is the curb appeal, or lack thereof.  WMS seats 54,000 and has since the 70s.  Look at Vaught-Hemingway.  It's capacity was 50,000 until 2001.  It didn't exceed 60,000 until 2016.  It is now at 65,000. 

What does Vaught-Hemingway have that WMS doesn't?  Luxury suites.  Built on the foundation of the old stadium like sci-fi beach condos.  INSTANT CURB APPEAL!!!  Add some ribbonboards and, voila, the Rebels have a "modern" stadium.

If you read between the lines, big money wants a game in Little Rock, and they expect SEC.  Asa Hutchinson said it is important to the state.  I have nothing to base this on other than a hunch, but my guess is that WMS is going to get a smaller (but more aesthetic) version of a Vaught-Hemingway makeover.  Financing will be handled similarly to the way the north end zone project was handled, but through the state rather than the Razorback Foundation.  Big money knows where the money is coming from, and they are willing to spend it, mostly because they love Arkansas and believe improvements to WMS are in its best interest.   

That would be fine bp.

My thought again would be tearing down both the north and south portions and remodeling those.  Clean up and do what is necessary to the east and west sides but leave them intact.  That way you aren't starting from 0 but rather 30,000+ seats.  Add back 12-13K to each endzone with some premium seating and expanded concourses and whatever comforts today's fan needs plus of course the new locker rooms.  Basically build a half of a new stadium while making the other half good enough for now.  Charge a little higher ticket price which should be in demand due to the opponent and updated venue.  Play 1 game there as long as A&M is still in Dallas.  Want to send that back to campus then maybe consider opening the season there vs a decent regional ooc opponent and playing a deer hunting season SEC game there.  IF we insist we need to keep playing there given what RRS is about to be. 

I do think the real issues do go beyond curb appeal.  The technology and locker rooms should be of modern SEC stadium standards. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2017, 09:55:52 am
They just $2m in it last season, since it's under the Dept of Tourism now, they'll find more money for it if they choose to.

They won't.  They're trying to cut the general revenue that goes to it now.  $10M represents an huge investment in a stadium that Arkansas will eventually stop playing in.  Parks would have very little expectation of recovering their investment.  They know they'd stand a much better return on investment putting that into a major park project like they have at Mt. Magainze, Village Creek, or Queen Wilhelmena.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 15, 2017, 09:15:53 am
I don't know why there isn't more of a push to do this.  Why expect U of A to be the sole major supporter.  And if it is such a benefit why aren't other schools clamoring to play there?  Have an annual UCA-ASU game there.  Would most likely sell out and be a better atmosphere than any non-SEC opponent Hogs would play there. 

That's no good for ASU.  They can already make that money by having the game in Jonesboro and adding those dollars to the Craighead County economy. 

That's why I think UA-ASU would never happen in Little Rock.  Even if that game were to theoretically happen, there's more money for everyone--probably even ASU--having that game in Fayetteville.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 15, 2017, 11:51:11 am
That would be fine bp.

My thought again would be tearing down both the north and south portions and remodeling those.  Clean up and do what is necessary to the east and west sides but leave them intact.  That way you aren't starting from 0 but rather 30,000+ seats.  Add back 12-13K to each endzone with some premium seating and expanded concourses and whatever comforts today's fan needs plus of course the new locker rooms.  Basically build a half of a new stadium while making the other half good enough for now.  Charge a little higher ticket price which should be in demand due to the opponent and updated venue.  Play 1 game there as long as A&M is still in Dallas.  Want to send that back to campus then maybe consider opening the season there vs a decent regional ooc opponent and playing a deer hunting season SEC game there.  IF we insist we need to keep playing there given what RRS is about to be. 

I do think the real issues do go beyond curb appeal.  The technology and locker rooms should be of modern SEC stadium standards. 

Technology and locker rooms were included in the $10M.  They are minimum improvements if games are to be kept at all.  Those changes aren't visible and won't satisfy the squeaky wheels on Hogville.  Your suggestions are good.

bphi11ips

factchecker

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 15, 2017, 01:33:08 pm
Can you find numbers the same numbers for 1990 to 2000?

I wish.  That report was released with the article today.

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 15, 2017, 01:29:48 pm
Technology and locker rooms were included in the $10M.  They are minimum improvements if games are to be kept at all.  Those changes aren't visible and won't satisfy the squeaky wheels on Hogville.  Your suggestions are good.

Better locker rooms and a petition to get the SEC to let us host recruits in Little Rock would make me happy.

Recruits and players don't care much about the stands beyond whether or not there are fans in every seat.

There is no reason for us to not be allowed to host recruits in Little Rock.

If the rest of the SEC complain then they can make a provision to allow to host recruits off campus IF the game is played in state.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 15, 2017, 11:44:06 am

Vaught's in much better shape than WMS, and it's not just luxury suites and ribbon boards, although that helps.  Both of the endzones are now enclosed and the facility overall is in far better shape.  It was probably in better repair even back in 2001 than WMS, plus it's on campus.

A better analogy would probably be something like Legion Field or Jackson's Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 15, 2017, 11:51:11 am
That would be fine bp.

Good ideas all.  One thing you could do if you tore down the aluminum seating in the endzones is build field-level stadium suites.  Probably wouldn't be hard to integrate in to the design.

factchecker

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 15, 2017, 09:15:53 am
I don't know why there isn't more of a push to do this.  Why expect U of A to be the sole major supporter.  And if it is such a benefit why aren't other schools clamoring to play there?  Have an annual UCA-ASU game there.  Would most likely sell out and be a better atmosphere than any non-SEC opponent Hogs would play there.

jonesboro state, like every other athletic program has their own stadium and finances to worry about:

"We're very open to entertaining any offer, but for us to just go pay rent some place, that's not going to happen," ASU Athletic Director Terry Mohajir said. "It has to be financially beneficial to help strengthen our program."

ASU and UAPB had a oral agreement to play its 2013 game there, but it was moved to Jonesboro so ASU could play its first game under then-Coach Bryan Harsin on campus. Mohajir and Crass haven't talked about playing a future game in central Arkansas since.

"We have great supporters in central Arkansas, but we're going to make our decisions on how it benefits Arkansas State and our athletic department," Mohajir said.

In fact, state fans think that WMS should pay them and/or their opponent to play a neutral site game in Little Rock:

http://scout.com/college/arkansas-state/Article/An-Open-Letter-to-the-leadership-in-Central-Arkansas-wanting-Tro-106158494

the same financial hurdle applies to conway:

UCA Athletic Director Brad Teague said the last time his school played at War Memorial in 2008 resulted in a "big financial loss."

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/oct/17/war-memorial-not-an-easy-sell-20141017/
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Let Warren donate $50m and fix it up, problem solved.

bphi11ips

Quote from: factchecker on November 15, 2017, 01:35:44 pm
I wish.  That report was released with the article today.

Better locker rooms and a petition to get the SEC to let us host recruits in Little Rock would make me happy.

Recruits and players don't care much about the stands beyond whether or not there are fans in every seat.

There is no reason for us to not be allowed to host recruits in Little Rock.

If the rest of the SEC complain then they can make a provision to allow to host recruits off campus IF the game is played in state.

Agreed about hosting recruits, especially since those recruits until now would be checking out a venue where they would play themselves. 

Official visits need to stay on campus anyway. Lots of recruits visit for games. Officials are more involved weekend trips and don't necessarily take place on a game weekend. 

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on November 15, 2017, 01:48:13 pm
Let Warren donate $50m and fix it up, problem solved.

Warren says ok if you'll kick in $5M.

factchecker

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/119645/analysis-war-memorial-only-slightly-more-popular-with-south-arkansas-fans

QuoteFans from northwest Arkansas make up a bigger portion of ticket sales for Razorbacks football games held in Little Rock than fans from the southeast and southwest areas of the state combined....
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS