Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

mn putting on a coaching clinic today against sam houston state

Started by flippinhogmana, November 10, 2017, 11:42:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

for the first half MN didnt use a single time out despite the team not being able to buy a basket, shooting about ten percent and at one time about 12 behind.  He just used the two media timeouts and the quarter break to coach.  Besides that he just let the women play.  Then about the middle of the second quarter the girls started to find the range.  Cosper, Monk and Mason leading the way, especially Cosper. 

coming out of every break they would do better though, now starting out the second half they are up five, and the shs coach has one timeout left for the rest of the game and MN has all four of his, and the lead.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

now the hogs are up by 13, on a 0-18 run or something like that coming out of the half
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

howie76

flippinhogmana

now after being red hot out of the half, the hogs have gone ice cold over the last four minutes and only lead by eight 43-35

psycHOGlogist

Looked like they got a little winded there for a bit, and a couple defensive brain-cramps from Taylah in the zone gave the BearKats a couple easy buckets.

Agree with flippin though that the coach staff is actually being very strategic, positive, and letting the kids play. What a change!

flippinhogmana

cosper hits a three pointer to end the third quarter for fourteen points - on her way to a double double with nine rebounds.
Monk with 11
Mason playing well too
hogs 46-37 at the end of three

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on November 10, 2017, 11:52:58 am
Looked like they got a little winded there for a bit, and a couple defensive brain-cramps from Taylah in the zone gave the BearKats a couple easy buckets.

Agree with flippin though that the coach staff is actually being very strategic, positive, and letting the kids play. What a change!

cosper had three turnovers in that stretch too it looks like, but Mike is letting her play through it, Zimmerman and Swenson would both be on the bench for their shooting if previous coach was there, but he let them play through it too, and they both had shots fall and some good plays in the torrid stretch too. Zimm has a couple of steals, Swenson some blocks.  Good stuff.

flippinhogmana

after another run coming out for the fourth quarter hogs up by 20 and Mike takes his first time out

flippinhogmana

Cosper letting it all hang out - besides her 17 points, and ten boards, she has two assists, three fouls and four turnovers!

psycHOGlogist

Williams banks in a free throw - you know that things are going our way this half! lol

psycHOGlogist

Spangler and Stout seeing some time now that it's in the bag. Glad to see it.

flippinhogmana

last five minutes subs in stout and spangler, like weaver to follow, with two minutes left, hogs up 14

flippinhogmana

looks like monk might actually be the high scorer today, she has 18 now, she has played well today too!

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: flippinhogmana on November 10, 2017, 12:10:56 pm
looks like monk might actually be the high scorer today, she has 18 now, she has played well today too!

Yes, she seems to be playing a little -- though maybe just a little lol -- bit smarter with the ball this year.

flippinhogmana

flippinhogmana

a lot of charges today - monk with one, but stout had one, I think cosper had one, and Nor-baker had one two

flippinhogmana

the two leading re bounders were Cosper with 12, and Mason with 5 (she also had four assists and eight points), she played well

psycHOGlogist

November 10, 2017, 12:49:08 pm #17 Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 12:59:26 pm by psycHOGlogist
Rebounding seemed like a problem that will need to be addressed. We need to find our space-hogging, long-armed Chantel Osahor.

hitman warrior23

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on November 10, 2017, 12:49:08 pm
Rebounding seemed like a problem that will need to be addressed. We need to find our space-hogging, long-armed Chantel Osahor.
I do not know if any of you watched on the SECN+ or just listened to the game, but I can tell you that our rebounding was terrible to start the game.  At half SHS had 30+ rebounds to our 15.  Our two post players could not get a rebound as the opponent's were taller and more aggressive.  We switched from a man/man defense to a trapping, double teaming zone that completely turned the game around at the end of the second quarter and the third quarter.  The pressure was immense and SHS could not handle it.  Our fast break started clicking and we were finding the shooter who made the shots.  It was great fun to watch starting about the midway point of the second quarter through the midway of the fourth quarter when we cleared the bench.  We clearly have 8 players who are going to get a majority of the playing time, but we need to make sure we do not get anyone injured.  Cosper and Monk will score in this offense.  Nor-Baker will also, but she missed some wide open shots that will go down most of the time.  Mason will get her points but probably not be a leading scorer - maybe 10 or so a game.  We do need scoring from others though.  Coach will have a lot to coach from on the film with players driving the lane and shooting contested shots with wide open 3's available.  We may need to try some cross court passes as Swenson was wide open in the weak side corner a lot.  I am excited, can't wait for the next game.

psycHOGlogist

Great report, LBBBF! I watched the 2nd half on SECN+, so I missed the awful rebounding/m2m defense part (I'm sure my blood pressure is grateful for my meeting schedule!).

Very excited to see how this team progresses. I thought his post-game comments were also pretty interesting:
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/nov/10/video-mike-neighbors-recaps-season-opening-win-ove/

He's certainly easier to listen to than the previous coach, post-game, and I will be surprised if he ever throws a player under the proverbial bus.