• 385,322 Topics
• 21,586 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Perfect temps, 11 day old beard, the air a putrid mixture of  (Read 1329 times)

Skandar Jackson

• Hogvillian
  • Fireball...not to be confused with what CBB drinks
Perfect temps, 11 day old beard, the air a putrid mixture of
« on: November 09, 2017, 07:32:10 pm »

blood in the air among the Razorback fans and smell of corndogs among LSU fans. Better pack a clothes pin for your noses if you are going to this game on Saturday...one the hogs will stink up and could set records for futility as LSU runs for 400 yards....in the first half.

How many times in sports have we watched a baseball player (seems to happen there more than anywhere else) sign a big contract after several good years and they let themselves get out of shape and before you know it they're batting .228 with 12 home runs and 53 rbi's and everyone can't figure out what happened. 

Human nature happened. They worked their whole life, signed the contract that gave them financial security for the rest of their lives and they could not dig down deep anymore and do all the things it took to get them to that point. They eat too much, drink too much, don't work out as much in the off season, don't put in the same intensity in anything they do because they just don't have that burning desire anymore.  Doesn't happen to the great ones but even the great ones slow down due to  injuries and age  and everything just catches up with them before their contract is up. 

I think we all wonder why CBB wasn't successful here. I think he's like a slugger in baseball. Maybe not the best but a career .276 guy who gets you 25-30 homers and 85-95 RBI's per season and he becomes a free agent, signs a ridiculous contract and eats himself out of baseball in the next five years. His reflexes and bat speed slow down...just can't get around on that fastball anymore.  CBB is that guy as a football coach. He left Wisconsin, came here, and didn't have the same fire he did when he was trying to get here. He hasn't been hungry (except for jelly sandwiches and lobsters and just about anything else he can put in his mouth from the looks of him).  You can tell by looking at him in press conferences and on the sideline he doesn't have the same passion that most successful coaches have, or at least he doesn't display it.  He has not been able to dig deep and put in the time and effort an energy this program needed. He got fat, got lazy, and he has surrounded himself with coaches who seem to display the same lack of fire that he has.  And he hasn't had an athletic director who pulls him in and lights a fire under him.  We're ahead of schedule is all he's heard..he's doing a great job. Any of the rest of us who came in to a job with high expectations and a high salary (granted this isn't taking over as general manger of Fayetteville Auto park but you know what I mean) and over a five year period allowed ourselves to gain that much weight, show that little passion for what we do, and generally been responsible for a demise of the business would have been fired within a few years because our boss could see we didn't have what was needed to grow the business.  We never would have made it five years but if we had made it that long there would have been some serious meetings with who hired us about why we have let the company down and what we going to do to fix it....improvement plans every few months.

Long chose CBB and signed this slugger, who looked to be headed into his prime, to a big contract and gave him his chance. He's under performed to a degree that's been shocking to everyone and the apparent lack of any outward sign of frustration on the part of Long has him in hot water now. Long COULD still save his own bacon by throwing CBB under the bus with some tough talk at the end of the season.  But him being so meek on them matter may end up costing him his job.  Had he come out at the end of last season with a well crafted statement about his expectations for CBB and the team I doubt he'd be in as much hot water as he is in now.  He may have lost points with CBB but he would have made points with the fan base.  Not an easy thing for him to do but in retrospect I bet he wishes he'd been more direct in his outward thoughts on the program after the season ended so badly.

A lot of us would have acted just like CBB if we had the good fortune of being put in the same position he was five years ago. Only the great ones can maintain a high focus when their financial goals have been met the way CBB's have been.  If he's taken care of things he should never have to work again if he lives a normal lifestyle after he leave the U of A.  Or he could go into broadcasting and keep an fairly good income. 

We're gonna get slaughtered on Saturday.  Ed Orgeron may look like an old used catcher's mitt that's been rained on and left out in the sun all summer long but he isn't lacking in passion for what he does. You can see if all over his mitt...I mean face.  CBB looks like he would rather be sitting in a recliner with a bag of pork rinds and a cooler of Budweiser watching the game at home....which is where he is going to be this time next year.  Orgeron will be breathing fire on Saturday looking like he's ready to suit up himself.  CBB will waddle out there in his windbreaker trying to hide his prodigious belly, and will continue to look impassive as the game gets out of control and the players and coaches look to him for answers. He will have none. He can't get around on the fastball anymore and every one knows it. 

Next1_04

• Senior
  • I come with Links
Re: Perfect temps, 11 day old beard, the air a putrid mixture of
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 07:34:42 pm »

You need help.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hehawg

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 07:37:28 pm »

+1

Grag T

• Hogvillian
  • ERROR 37
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 07:52:18 pm »

"CBB looks like he would rather be sitting in a recliner with a bag of pork rinds"

Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Semi-retired Eponymous Mod Accountability Manager
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 07:57:20 pm »

Great read. Really dialed into the current state of the football program and I defy anyone to better illuminate the human condition here on Hogville than Skandar Jackson.

I always found it interesting how many sluggers in MLB landed a fat contract to then see their productivity become a shell of its former self. Griffey Jr left Seattle for Cincy and never was the same. Ryan Howard had a few great years then fell off the planet. Pujols left the Cards and hasn’t seen a highlight reel since. Others had flash in the pan seasons after hitting the sauce, taking HGH, shooting raids, etc. and then couldn’t hit their way out of a paper bag after they had to go clean. Such a shame.

If CBP was our couple years of HGH, then I guess CBB is our...well, I’ll let everyone fill the rest in on their own accord.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 09:14:04 am by Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head »

navyhog24

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 08:02:21 pm »

Robert Shields, is that you?

Ex-Trumpet

• When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 08:02:53 pm »

PHJ, did you provide the pork rinds today at the BOT meeting?

Grag T, you ain't right!!!

Rudy Baylor

• Varsity
  • Hans Blix is very angry with Jeff Long & CBB
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 08:02:59 pm »

In

Rudy Baylor was here

Count Hogula

• Senior
  • G-Man
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 08:08:09 pm »

Ol' Stay Puft will be in deeper shat than a midget shoveling out Porta-Potties at a Mexican Bran Muffin factory come Saturday.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

• I'M NOT PERFECT, BUT PARTS OF ME ARE EXCELLENT!
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 08:09:02 pm »

I would compare PWJ's writing with Robert Shield's, but I didn't read his stuff either.

Rudy Baylor

• Varsity
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 08:09:50 pm »

"CBB looks like he would rather be sitting in a recliner with a bag of pork rinds"

I love you

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 08:18:50 pm »

This is like a Far Side: Razorback Edition comic. Kinda sad. Still funny though. Far Side was awesome! Calvin and Hobbes as well. They just don’t make great comics anymore...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:32:30 pm by Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head »

Rudy Baylor

• Varsity
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 08:24:54 pm »

This is a like a Far Side: Razorback Edition comic. Kinda sad. Still funny though. Far Side was awesome! Calvin and Hobbes as well. They just don’t make great comics anymore...

Correct. Kinda sad. But funny. But sad. And funny. And sad.

ResIpsaLoquitur

• The thing speaks for itself
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 08:35:03 pm »

PH, I just hope they bring Karma back before this thread disappears so that I can reward you in the manner which you deserve - great read ('cept for the "an fairly good income" - but then I'm sorta a grammar nerd)

acey33

• Varsity
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 08:56:21 pm »

blood in the air among the Razorback fans and smell of corndogs among LSU fans. Better pack a clothes pin for your noses if you are going to this game on Saturday...one the hogs will stink up and could set records for futility as LSU runs for 400 yards....in the first half.

How many times in sports have we watched a baseball player (seems to happen there more than anywhere else) sign a big contract after several good years and they let themselves get out of shape and before you know it they're batting .228 with 12 home runs and 53 rbi's and everyone can't figure out what happened. 

Human nature happened. They worked their whole life, signed the contract that gave them financial security for the rest of their lives and they could not dig down deep anymore and do all the things it took to get them to that point. They eat too much, drink too much, don't work out as much in the off season, don't put in the same intensity in anything they do because they just don't have that burning desire anymore.  Doesn't happen to the great ones but even the great ones slow down due to  injuries and age  and everything just catches up with them before their contract is up. 

I think we all wonder why CBB wasn't successful here. I think he's like a slugger in baseball. Maybe not the best but a career .276 guy who gets you 25-30 homers and 85-95 RBI's per season and he becomes a free agent, signs a ridiculous contract and eats himself out of baseball in the next five years. His reflexes and bat speed slow down...just can't get around on that fastball anymore.  CBB is that guy as a football coach. He left Wisconsin, came here, and didn't have the same fire he did when he was trying to get here. He hasn't been hungry (except for jelly sandwiches and lobsters and just about anything else he can put in his mouth from the looks of him).  You can tell by looking at him in press conferences and on the sideline he doesn't have the same passion that most successful coaches have, or at least he doesn't display it.  He has not been able to dig deep and put in the time and effort an energy this program needed. He got fat, got lazy, and he has surrounded himself with coaches who seem to display the same lack of fire that he has.  And he hasn't had an athletic director who pulls him in and lights a fire under him.  We're ahead of schedule is all he's heard..he's doing a great job. Any of the rest of us who came in to a job with high expectations and a high salary (granted this isn't taking over as general manger of Fayetteville Auto park but you know what I mean) and over a five year period allowed ourselves to gain that much weight, show that little passion for what we do, and generally been responsible for a demise of the business would have been fired within a few years because our boss could see we didn't have what was needed to grow the business.  We never would have made it five years but if we had made it that long there would have been some serious meetings with who hired us about why we have let the company down and what we going to do to fix it....improvement plans every few months.

Long chose CBB and signed this slugger, who looked to be headed into his prime, to a big contract and gave him his chance. He's under performed to a degree that's been shocking to everyone and the apparent lack of any outward sign of frustration on the part of Long has him in hot water now. Long COULD still save his own bacon by throwing CBB under the bus with some tough talk at the end of the season.  But him being so meek on them matter may end up costing him his job.  Had he come out at the end of last season with a well crafted statement about his expectations for CBB and the team I doubt he'd be in as much hot water as he is in now.  He may have lost points with CBB but he would have made points with the fan base.  Not an easy thing for him to do but in retrospect I bet he wishes he'd been more direct in his outward thoughts on the program after the season ended so badly.

A lot of us would have acted just like CBB if we had the good fortune of being put in the same position he was five years ago. Only the great ones can maintain a high focus when their financial goals have been met the way CBB's have been.  If he's taken care of things he should never have to work again if he lives a normal lifestyle after he leave the U of A.  Or he could go into broadcasting and keep an fairly good income. 

We're gonna get slaughtered on Saturday.  Ed Orgeron may look like an old used catcher's mitt that's been rained on and left out in the sun all summer long but he isn't lacking in passion for what he does. You can see if all over his mitt...I mean face.  CBB looks like he would rather be sitting in a recliner with a bag of pork rinds and a cooler of Budweiser watching the game at home....which is where he is going to be this time next year.  Orgeron will be breathing fire on Saturday looking like he's ready to suit up himself.  CBB will waddle out there in his windbreaker trying to hide his prodigious belly, and will continue to look impassive as the game gets out of control and the players and coaches look to him for answers. He will have none. He can't get around on the fastball anymore and every one knows it.

Bingo and We Have A Winner...

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 09:01:59 pm »

I love you, man.

Skandar Jackson

• Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 06:47:43 am »

PH, I just hope they bring Karma back before this thread disappears so that I can reward you in the manner which you deserve - great read ('cept for the "an fairly good income" - but then I'm sorta a grammar nerd)

Shocked it hasn't been tossed. 

BR

• Chaos, panic, & disorder -- my work here is done.
    • BR's Home Page
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 06:49:28 am »

Preach on Rev.....   I mean OTR, I mean Nappy Head, oh hell you know what I mean

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 07:02:46 am »

You need help.

He might could use a good proofreader but he’s pretty spot on if you ask me. Except for ed looking like a catchers mitt. He’s a first baseman’s glove if I ever saw one.

Arthur pigby sellers.

• Senior
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 07:06:33 am »

Never compare him to Robert Shields. That was hilarious!!

HogShat

• Senior
  • The Transformer is in the house...
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2017, 08:56:57 am »

Hard to toss facts. Very good analogy and it is spot on. Human nature...

El Puerco Grande

• Senior
  • Mess with the hog, and you get the tusks!
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2017, 09:35:22 am »

Nobody knows what is going on inside Bret Bielema's head but him, but PHJ's analysis seems to be spot on. Bret looks like a guy on a bad blind date on the sidelines. He looks like he can't wait for the season to be over. Me too.

Skandar Jackson

• Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2017, 09:47:42 am »

Nobody knows what is going on inside Bret Bielema's head but him, but PHJ's analysis seems to be spot on. Bret looks like a guy on a bad blind date on the sidelines. He looks like he can't wait for the season to be over. Me too.

Unfortunately his lack of passion and intensity has spread like pink eye in a kindergarten classroom (Seems like a lot of kindergarten analogies with CBB and his jelly sandwiches so let's use another one).  In kindergarten everybody thinks if you look at someone with pink you can get pink eye yourself (happened to me with a kid named Barry - everyone put their heads down waiting on his mom to come get him when he had pink eye - I admit a snuck a peak because I would have loved three days off from the grind of Kindergarten with the pink eye).

Anyway...CBB's lack of intensity has infected everyone.  The most physical, intense player we've had was Skipper and he was an offensive lineman.  There were a few leftovers when CBB got here who didn't succumb to CBB's disease but in the last few years the players he's recruited have all been infected...Maybe the Walking Dead would be a better example of the infection because some guys we look like zombies out there and our head zombie can't snap out of it and show any emotion or fire anymore.  He's done. He's carrying so much extra weight and looks so lazy that there is no way he can inspire our team to play with the intensity we need to compete in the SEC. 

And he still may get another year. I'm not convinced they're going to get rid of him.

snoblind

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2017, 10:03:33 am »

$hit, I forgot to draw the beer

To be historically accurate, probably should have been a half gallon of vodka.

HawgTide

• Senior
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2017, 10:57:05 am »

You need help.

Yep... Free Robert Shields

ResIpsaLoquitur

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2017, 05:54:55 pm »

Wow!! Congrats!! You got them to change your name!  :o

pigasaurus

• Senior
  • Simply the greatest
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2017, 06:38:41 pm »

This is like a Far Side: Razorback Edition comic. Kinda sad. Still funny though. Far Side was awesome! Calvin and Hobbes as well. They just don’t make great comics anymore...
Bloom County /Outland was good. Pearls before Swine best comic since the good old stuff.

Pecos Hog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2017, 07:44:12 pm »

Skandar took the words right out out my mouth.   

Good times are right around the corner...

Skandar Jackson

• Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2017, 08:14:09 pm »

Many thanks to whoever changed my name to Skandar.  The name just feels right and I’ve always admired a guy who uses a ball of flaming Arab oil as a weapon

ResIpsaLoquitur

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2017, 08:19:28 pm »

Many thanks to whoever changed my name to Skandar.  The name just feels right and I’ve always admired a guy who uses a ball of flaming Arab oil as a weapon

YEAH!! Until, of course, you decide some other name "just feels right" - but that's ok

Justagp

• Varsity
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2017, 08:55:04 pm »

Great post, and I agree we will be slaughtered tomorrow.

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2017, 08:58:03 pm »

Fat jokes about your head coach, for the Arkansas fan that does not want to be clever OR classy.

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
    • Bring Back Slobbering Hog
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2017, 09:08:22 pm »

Why did you change your username?

Danimal

• Varsity
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2017, 09:14:38 pm »

Head and shoulders above anything Who is Robert Shields? ever put out -- Respect.

Skandar Jackson

• Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2017, 01:44:47 am »

My name is Skandar...and that’s all you need to know.

Jimbob111

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2017, 02:23:18 am »

Fat jokes about your head coach, for the Arkansas fan that does not want to be clever OR classy.

Really, all that and you point out the fat jokes?  Come on, man, you have to admit that was appropriate and humorous while also being a spot on analogy to Bielema's Arkansas contract and his lack of fire and inability to motivate.

And, for the record, look at Bielema's announcement press conference and look at him on the sideline in any game the past two to three years. He has certainly added many, many pounds while underachieving at the tune of 4 million and change a year. You can't say that you don't see it because if you can't see it, you are blind or in some sort of self-delusion.

But carry on, point out that someone made a fat joke about the Hogs' fat head coach.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2017, 09:04:23 am »

Oh look darlin'. It appears Grag T is as talented as he is funny... "No, I'm sure of it...I hate him".

OneTuskOverTheLine™

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2017, 09:08:02 am »

It suits you...

OneTuskOverTheLine™

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2017, 09:09:38 am »

The Salad..?

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2017, 09:11:56 am »

The pink eye analogy was decent, but that post would have had a little more authority if you said it “ spread like herpes at OTR’s family reunion”. But “A” for effort anyway.

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2017, 09:12:35 am »

He’s always shown up as Skandar for me.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2017, 09:14:26 am »

C'mon Klub....

Skandar Jackson

• Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2017, 09:33:15 am »

Hate to argue on game day but here I am arguing when we should be getting the grill cleaned up and getting ready for the game.

This is not meant to be a joke.  I truly believe at this current weight and level of health that he has not been able to summon the energy or motivation to do the work that it takes to succeed in this job. 

In his first year or two here he seemed to actually show some enthusiasm and some fire on the sideline (does anyone remember his little jig in the Alabama game after the penalty a few years ago?)

He looks disengaged and exhausted right now. If he looks disengaged and exhausted on game day against Alabama or Auburn then how disengaged do you think he looks on a Tuesday in December when he needs to be all over recruits and he can't get motivated to dig in and do the work in the off season when the cameras are not on him.   

It's easy to be unmotivated when all your needs are met and there is no one pushing you.  He's not on commission. His deposit is going to hit his account whether he does a great job, good job, or average job.  And he knows if we fire him he's got a buyout.  And if he's not digging deep then he can't expect his assistants to dig deep either.  The reason the great coaches succeed is because they lead by example, push themselves to be the best they can be and anyone who works for them or with them is afraid not to do the same. If CBB never pushes himself then he can't very well push his assistants who can't very well push his team either. It's a cultural thing. It's evident to former players who are now speaking out.  It's easy to blame the players but it all starts with CBB.  The culture he's created isn't conducive to physical play or intensity on the field. We've had more games where we've just gotten blown off the field in the past two years than I can remember.  More second half meltdowns.  When have you ever heard of a team so bad in the second half of games they have to practice halftime?  We're unprepared. Our teams lack attention to detail. Our special teams play alone should be evidence that attention to detail is lacking.  They've been awful for five years.  If you have the same problem for five years why not put some effort into fixing it. Just because we don't have a special teams coach? How many millions are we paying these coaches?  You're telling me these guys who have been around football for their entire lives can't sit down on a Wednesday morning and talk about our kick return team and try to figure out how we might improve in that area and go out and spend an hour on it in practice until we make some improvements?  That's just a lack of effort. No attention to detail. Figure it out. That's why they're getting paid.  Special teams play isn't just about who has the most talent.  An average team can have good special teams. Show some pride.  If you lack talent then make up for your lack of talent with preparation.  But we're unprepared in every aspect of football. 

This is something CBB can't snap out of.  It's a complete and total lack of leadership and it's so ingrained in our football program that it's going to take a a while, maybe several more years, to get us back to a competitive level.  It's not going to be easy to take the players who are returning and create a new culture. I don't even know who has the ability to do that. 

Not a fat joke. CBB has ate himself out of a job.  I can't ever remember a coach doing anything like this before. It's a unique problem and it's hard to even believe it's happened.  Only at Arkansas. 

And pass some blame to Jeff Long for not managing the football program the way he should have. He should have been having conversations with CBB after year one about improvement.  He's allowed this collapse to happen on his watch and until early this fall has never even alluded to the fact that maybe we're not doing so good (I forgot the exact statement but something to the effect the CBB knows we need to win more games - really tough love there, Jeff). 

They're both jammed up now.  Both deserve to be gone.  Hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later. 

Grag T

• Hogvillian
  • ERROR 37
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2017, 04:01:29 pm »

Oh look darlin'. It appears Grag T is as talented as he is funny... "No, I'm sure of it...I hate him".

;D  ;D  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas