Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RWIII  (Read 2350 times)

Hog_Swanson

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • WWWWD?
RWIII
« on: November 09, 2017, 02:16:41 pm »

What is this rumor about insurance fraud mentioned in another thread?  Is it just more BS?

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: RWIII
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 02:46:12 pm »

Fraud is a strong word and I have to believe that is a misuse of the meaning of probably what happened.  What I have seen discussed was Long and Co messed up the insurance thing, not fraud, and it cost the foundation or school 1mil.  All appears to be rumor, but I would assume that means they didn't purchase the insurance correctly or something and were on the hook for the pay out. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 02:48:44 pm »

Just spitballing here but I canít see the insurance wanting to pay after the kid hurt his neck the first time and getting permanently injured again.  The school may have informed him incorrectly regarding his options or that insurance would pay if he played again.

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 02:51:43 pm »

Just spitballing here but I canít see the insurance wanting to pay after the kid hurt his neck the first time and getting permanently injured again.  The school may have informed him incorrectly regarding his options or that insurance would pay if he played again.

Welp as a rep of the UA then JL put the department is on the hook for that. I'd think that would be a fireable offense.

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 02:55:18 pm »

So what role would an AD play in player insurance?  I suspect just signing off, which means he would sign whatever was put in front of him, even if that much. 

I really doubt he played an active role in putting the docs and coverage together for RWIII.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 02:58:00 pm »

So what role would an AD play in player insurance?  I suspect just signing off, which means he would sign whatever was put in front of him, even if that much. 

I really doubt he played an active role in putting the docs and coverage together for RWIII.

It could be as simple not scheduling an appointment for him to sign a rider or release or
leaving something out.  In that instance, rather than see a kid suffer and/or risk embarrassing litigation, they would probably just pay him.

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 03:02:12 pm »

It could be as simple not scheduling an appointment for him to sign a rider or release or
leaving something out.  In that instance, rather than see a kid suffer and/or risk embarrassing litigation, they would probably just pay him.

But again, would the AD be involved in scheduling an appointment, or getting the rider/release signed, or whatever wasn't in the paperwork that should have been?  Just seems like this is work that is below the AD's pay grade.

And I'm really not asking this to be facitious.  I'm trying to understand what his role in this would be, compared to the board's perception of what his role was.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 03:02:28 pm »

Nothing more than a Tempest in a Teapot .

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 03:04:57 pm »

But again, would the AD be involved in scheduling an appointment, or getting the rider/release signed, or whatever wasn't in the paperwork that should have been?  Just seems like this is work that is below the AD's pay grade.

And I'm really not asking this to be facitious.  I'm trying to understand what his role in this would be, compared to the board's perception of what his role was.

If it happens under his watch, he is responsible.  He gets paid a million dollars a year to input systems to make sure this sort of darn doesnít happen.

JayHog

• Varsity
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 03:11:06 pm »

Thatís why you have to always know what youíre signing your name to. Long has been around long enough (no pun intended) to know that.

PorkRinds

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 03:13:12 pm »

If it happens under his watch, he is responsible.  He gets paid a million dollars a year to input systems to make sure this sort of darn doesnít happen.

Sort of like Trump and all the Russia stuff.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 03:25:04 pm »

slippery slope there...

Hogwild

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 04:04:45 pm »

The athletic department would be the ones to approve the purchase of insurance using the NCAA Student Assistance Fund to purchase either PTD or LoV policies.  If he used the NCAA Student Assistance Fund and the school messed up the paperwork and the insurance denied the claim, then the school would be on the hook.

That would be the only think of off, that would put the liability on the school.

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 04:10:11 pm »

The athletic department would be the ones to approve the purchase of insurance using the NCAA Student Assistance Fund to purchase either PTD or LoV policies.  If he used the NCAA Student Assistance Fund and the school messed up the paperwork and the insurance denied the claim, then the school would be on the hook.

That would be the only think of off, that would put the liability on the school.
That could be a potentially major OOPPPSSS.

oldman1015

• Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 04:11:18 pm »

Nothing more than a Tempest in a Teapot .
WHAT?

RazorWest

• Varsity
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 04:11:55 pm »

Does Insurance pay out if a player "decides" not to play.   Not sure there is any reason that RWIII can't play other than a much higher risk of serious injury. 

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 04:19:53 pm »

No, actually he wouldn't be responsible.  It would be the responsibility of whoever was hired to take care of this type of thing for the athletic department.  Do you really think the AD looks at every document that goes through the athletic department?  Do you really think any one person could?

This is the type of thought process that turns into a really bad slippery slope.  If it happens "under his watch," then it happens under the Chancellor's, President's, and anybody else above the AD in the chain.  Are they all responsible? 

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 04:21:58 pm »

No, actually he wouldn't be responsible.  It would be the responsibility of whoever was hired to take care of this type of thing for the athletic department.  Do you really think the AD looks at every document that goes through the athletic department?  Do you really think any one person could?

This is the type of thought process that turns into a really bad slippery slope.  If it happens "under his watch," then it happens under the Chancellor's, President's, and anybody else above the AD in the chain.  Are they all responsible? 

When you get down to it, it's Asa's fault.

Ex-Trumpet

• When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2017, 04:22:25 pm »

Kind of like hiring your mistress?

Seebs

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2017, 04:35:44 pm »

I have a feeling it is none of my business.

Hog_Swanson

• WWWWD?
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 04:48:27 pm »

So, like I thought.  This is just BS rumor mill stuff.  Mods, please lock the thread.  You know where you can move it.

Hoggish1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2017, 04:51:00 pm »

Welp as a rep of the UA then JL put the department is on the hook for that. I'd think that would be a fireable offense.

Among many other screw up for that guy...

Hawg Life

• Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2017, 04:52:38 pm »

Trump didnít buy a fake dossier.

Ex-Trumpet

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2017, 05:01:34 pm »

So, like I thought.  This is just BS rumor mill stuff.  Mods, please lock the thread.  You know where you can move it.

According to a Mod earlier today, this has been discussed for quite some time here on Hogville.

If so, Mods buried it deep.  I can't find any old threads dealing with it.

ballz2thewall

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2017, 05:46:32 pm »

i agree with the probabilities here. unless it's some sortof grand scheme failure, i doubt the AD is directly involved in a ministerial error.

HogPharmer

• Hogvillian
  • KCCO
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2017, 05:47:57 pm »

From Tusk Till Dawn

• Varsity
  • Facts are stubborn things...
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2017, 07:08:11 pm »

Kind of like hiring your mistress?
Is it really a mistress if you give her $20k?

Piggfoot

• Hog Table top cooker
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2017, 07:23:55 pm »

I believe this is a bs rumor. I donít claim to be an insurance person but what company would write a Million dollar policy for a player who has no irreversible injury and has not recieved an offer from a NFL team to play. If there is a policy of this type wouldnít more college players try and cash on it. Lastly, if there is such a policy I would think the insuree would be the one to purchase the policy.

Ex-Trumpet

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2017, 08:13:12 pm »

Is it really a mistress if you give her $20k?

Haha, good point!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas