• 385,558 Topics
• 21,600 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Woulda Coulda Shoulda  (Read 1877 times)

Pork Twain

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Calling the Hogs from Kabul, Afghanistan
    • Facebook
Re: Woulda Coulda Shoulda
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2017, 11:40:02 pm »

29-10, the best 3 year stretch for the Hogs since joining the SEC.
I forgot BP was just here for three years.

Next1_04

• Senior
  • I come with Links
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2017, 09:09:40 am »

Why would we want a guy who is 5-7 in is last 12 games with the reigning Heisman winner at QB and who's team is giving up over 30ppg ( not quite but almost as bad as the Hogs D ).

Logic isn't welcome here. You know this.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

nationwish

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2017, 12:46:47 pm »

Just days before this incident transpired, in a more publicized story, Sean Payton was suspended for a year without pay for bountygate. which he both knew about and about which he lied to the NFL, in essence his boss. So much for every company/team would react the same way.

Firing BP was absolutely a reasonable option. However, it wasn't the only reasonable option.

Go Hogs!

And that isn't an apples to apples comparison. There were people on national TV, mostly old-school guys, saying they dind't have a big problem with the bounty situation and that there was no evidence it led to dirty hits. It obviously wasn't a good idea and the NFL had to do something that gets those kinds of things out of their game.

Having said that, that program did not destroy the organization's culture. It did nothing to tell its employees that they'd be judged on things other than their merits. It was completely limited to the staff's philosophy about what was acceptable behavior on the field. What Petrino did went way beyond that, and yes, he would have been fired from the Saints under those circumstances. It is this kind of behavior that is likely the reason Petrino only ever has short-term success that fades after a few years, and why it is such a major rebuild any time he leaves. He is a program-destroyer. We've seen it with all of his recent jobs, and we are already seeing Louisville start to fall off again. He deserved to be fired, and to say he shouldn't have been is just not reasonable.

GoHogs1091

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2017, 01:45:17 pm »

Would Arkansas consider bringing back Bobby P?
Could Arkansas bring back Bobby P?
Should Arkansas bring back BobbyP?

Nope.  Robert Petrino can't even get the job done while even having a Heisman winning QB.

Also, if Robert returned, it would be the continuation of garbage defense that we have now with Bielema.

hawgball40

• Varsity
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2017, 03:45:33 pm »

I forgot BP was just here for three years.
You're being facetious right? He was 5-7 that first year but after that we were alot better. hell in 2009 we should have knocked off number 1 florida for our first ever road win in gainesville but the refs bailed out the gators to keep them alive for the natty. overall he was 34-17 here. pretty respectable imo.

Gonzo

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2017, 03:53:38 pm »

And that isn't an apples to apples comparison. There were people on national TV, mostly old-school guys, saying they dind't have a big problem with the bounty situation and that there was no evidence it led to dirty hits. It obviously wasn't a good idea and the NFL had to do something that gets those kinds of things out of their game.

Having said that, that program did not destroy the organization's culture. It did nothing to tell its employees that they'd be judged on things other than their merits. It was completely limited to the staff's philosophy about what was acceptable behavior on the field. What Petrino did went way beyond that, and yes, he would have been fired from the Saints under those circumstances. It is this kind of behavior that is likely the reason Petrino only ever has short-term success that fades after a few years, and why it is such a major rebuild any time he leaves. He is a program-destroyer. We've seen it with all of his recent jobs, and we are already seeing Louisville start to fall off again. He deserved to be fired, and to say he shouldn't have been is just not reasonable.

It is most certainly and apples to apples comparison. Just because you don't for the notion it refutes your claim that every organization would have reacted the same way doesn't make it invalid. Once again, the decision that was made was a reasonable option. However, I laugh my ass off in almost any discussion where absolutists try to portray their answer as the only rational position.

Go Hogs!

nationwish

• Senior
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2017, 09:54:08 am »

It is most certainly and apples to apples comparison. Just because you don't for the notion it refutes your claim that every organization would have reacted the same way doesn't make it invalid. Once again, the decision that was made was a reasonable option. However, I laugh my ass off in almost any discussion where absolutists try to portray their answer as the only rational position.

Go Hogs!

One dealt with on the field issues. The other dealt with personnel decisions for staff. I'm sorry that you can't see that. Everyone in that position would have fired him once that was public knowledge. Even Alabama and Auburn. Even the Saints under those circumstances. Notice I said everyone in that position. Not fanatics who derive self worth from a sports team.

nationwish

• Senior
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2017, 11:09:58 am »

Furthermore, we were hearing often how other teams were recruiting negatively against Arkansas on how Petrino was not the man they'd want setting an example for their kids. Imagine how much that would have escalated if he was retained. And that's not something NFL coaches have to deal with.

You also don't see coaches suspended for a season in college for the same reason. Coaching staffs are limited by NCAA rules. Suspending a coach for a season and forcing another coach to take over those duties takes him away from his primary duties of coaching position players. That would be a huge disadvantage. The only way a college team allows that to happen is if it is a health concern, and even that is rare.

The NFL and college games are just too different to be comparable, but even then, I would be shocked if an NFL team's coach hired a mistress to his staff and kept his job. Things that affect on the field play directly and things that tear apart organizational culture are two very different things. Plus, the league banned the defensive coordinator who ran the program, and if Payton had been proven to have involvement, I'm pretty confident he would have been terminated also, though I doubt the team looked into it any harder than they absolutely had to.

Gonzo

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2017, 02:16:52 pm »

Keep trying. It was shown Payton was involved.  Your absolute "everyone would have done it this way" simply doesn't hold up, but don't let me keep you from clinging to it.

Go Hogs!

moses_007

• Gus for Head Hog!
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2017, 02:19:08 pm »

No, don't want him back.  His personality sucks.

« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2017, 02:24:46 pm »

We probably could bring Petrino back if Long leaves, otherwise, no.
I am not all for it though and many on here call me a Bobby lover. 
BP loses too much for me due to weaknesses in his defense. 
But for you weak minded who throw up the Heisman thing, try and remember it was Bobby who took the 3 star and coached him to the Heisman.  We could do far worse than BP for a coach.  We end up with a lazy, no knowledge, poor leadership, holds grudges, a-hole, you know what I mean.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas