• 385,716 Topics
• 21,617 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What about Gus Malzahn  (Read 1903 times)

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
Re: What about Gus Malzahn
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2017, 01:54:51 pm »

Malzahn produced wherever he has gone. He would be a natural for the Natural State. Plays exciting football and would be perfect for recruiting in this State. Why not?

Too much baggage and a crazy Wife.

clutch

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2017, 02:22:51 pm »

Can you imagine what Gus will do with Bohannon? This kid is a near clone of Cam except maybe a bit faster!

If Gus or any coach could come in and average 8 or 9 wins a year "MOST" Hog fans would be happy. Everyone want to quote his record, but they want to leave out his 12-2 year, wonder why???

Let him come here and we win 8 next year then in 2019with Bohannon running Gus' offense we really go on a win spree. We may drop back a bit until he can find another such athlete, and it may take a couple of 7-5 or 8-4 years.

Whoaaa now. Bohannon is good, but he's not anywhere near Cam level yet. Cam throws the ball much better and is much more physical. Bohannon is fast, but doesn't much care for contact. Cam might have been the most unstoppable QB in college football histroy. Bohannon hasn't even won a 2a State Title.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

depressed_fan

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2017, 06:47:28 pm »

I think he checks all the boxes that are required for Arkansas to be successful but most seem to have some sort of personal vendetta against him. I'm not sure we could pull him from Auburn though. I don't think Auburn will fire him this season.

I agree with this 100 percent. The only thing I see with Gus is, he don't talk like a salesman like an Oregeron or HDN. He's more of a Petrino type. Those guys are such slick talkers they can buy extra years and they are good enough motivators to win games some coaches wouldn't. I think Auburn would let him out easy sort of like us with BB. Gus' next 2 games will be the telltale factor imho. If he wins both he will get a nice extension. If he loses both he will want out due to pressure.  Anything in between is anyone's guess right now.

BTW that's why Saban is so good. He's a combination of a slick talking salesman, but technically minded coach.

TN HOG

• Varsity
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2017, 10:00:00 pm »

But it's sounding like the "crazy" wife may be one the reasons this may happen.  lol

BrianG

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2017, 08:06:10 am »

He cant win at Auburn and is a bad lose from being fired. With top ten recruiting classes. Sounds like a real winner to me. We don't need a coach with his own built in cheer leading faction in this state he would be HDN part 2 with probably worse results.

He has won at Auburn...sheesh.

clutch

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2017, 08:19:42 am »

He has won at Auburn...sheesh.

He's won, but not to the extent that he should have is the point. His team his first year was really good with Nick Marshal, but after that season he's gone 8-5, 7-6, 8-5, and he's 1-3 in bowl games. That's not enough winning by Auburn's standards, especially with top 10 recruiting classes every year. He's winning at a clip that is right on what most around here consider the "acceptable" line. 7-8 wins a year. However, he's doing that at Auburn. It'd be much harder for him to do that here with not nearly as good of recruiting classes.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2017, 08:39:22 am »

Can you imagine what Gus will do with Bohannon? This kid is a near clone of Cam except maybe a bit faster!

If Gus or any coach could come in and average 8 or 9 wins a year "MOST" Hog fans would be happy. Everyone want to quote his record, but they want to leave out his 12-2 year, wonder why???

Let him come here and we win 8 next year then in 2019with Bohannon running Gus' offense we really go on a win spree. We may drop back a bit until he can find another such athlete, and it may take a couple of 7-5 or 8-4 years.

Way too much homerism here!!!  Way too much.  Bohanon is not the next cam at this point.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2017, 08:42:59 am »

Gus would be a bad hire.  I do not have confidence he could get it done either.  He is having issues at Auburn that are ego driven and he can't stop it.  He was forced to bring in an OC to help, yet he's doing what nutt did to Gus to this new OC.  He has one of the best defenses in the nation and that he could not get to Arkansas, because he is not in any way resposnsible for it.  Too much baggage and the guy would think he's bigger than anything here, I'm not interested. 

clutch

« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2017, 08:45:20 am »

Gus would be a bad hire.  I do not have confidence he could get it done either.  He is having issues at Auburn that are ego driven and he can't stop it.  He was forced to bring in an OC to help, yet he's doing what nutt did to Gus to this new OC.  He has one of the best defenses in the nation and that he could not get to Arkansas, because he is not in any way resposnsible for it.  Too much baggage and the guy would think he's bigger than anything here, I'm not interested. 

Not to mention, people were very against Bielema from the beginning for what everyone thought was a run heavy offense. Bielema isn't nearly as run heavy as Gus. Gus has averaged close to or over the 70% run for the past few years at Auburn.

Hawginj

• Senior
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2017, 08:46:42 am »

I think this topic should be renamed....What about herpes? Can I get a Dilly?

The Hawg Marshal

• " National Champs 1909,1964 and 1977. "
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2017, 09:17:52 am »

Well if Gus is hired I'll still love the Razorbacks , but it will weird for me as I've spent the last seven years hating his guts.lol

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2017, 09:22:59 am »

funny to hear people on here saying he is not getting it done. he is more than likely going to go 8-4 this season.
loses to
lsu
Clemson
Georgia
bama

if the hogs hired him fine
 he is not in my top three.
but I think he would bring a couple of things to the table that the hogs need: attention to detail, and energy

I don't think he has a chance, for the simple fact, he would arrive, and automatically have fans who do not like him.

clutch

« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2017, 09:36:21 am »

funny to hear people on here saying he is not getting it done. he is more than likely going to go 8-4 this season.
loses to
lsu
Clemson
Georgia
bama

but I think he would bring a couple of things to the table that the hogs need: attention to detail, and energy

I don't think he has a chance, for the simple fact, he would arrive, and automatically have fans who do not like him.

It's just a matter of opinion of what "getting it done" is. They've had recruiting rankings of 10, 6, 8, 9 the past 4 classes. He's won 8,7,8 and probably 8-9 this year. Do you consider that acceptable given top 10 classes for 4 straight seasons? It may be, it may not. It's really just a matter of opinion, but I can definitely see why a lot of people don't feel he's gotten the job done considering the talent he's had.

The Hawg Marshal

« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2017, 09:36:27 am »

I think Gus would at least be as successful as Nutt.  I just don't like the guy and that is based on things I hear from when he was here in Jonesboro. The stAte fans were a lot more sad to see Freeze leave than they were Gus.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Official Jeff Long Darksider!
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2017, 09:41:28 am »

loses to
lsu
Clemson
Georgia
bama

When a head coach has a boat load of 5 star players on his team and only goes 8-4, he isn't getting it done.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2017, 09:52:36 am »

When a head coach has a boat load of 5 star players on his team and only goes 8-4, he isn't getting it done.

he is losing to teams with a boat load of 5 star players.

The Hawg Marshal

« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2017, 09:58:34 am »

Yeah his worst loss is to LSU, and while they've had their problems, it's no disgrace to lose to them in Red Stick.

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2017, 10:21:12 am »

Way too much homerism here!!!  Way too much.  Bohanon is not the next cam at this point.
Yeah, let's let him take a couple of college snaps before we give him the Heisman.

willyacs

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2017, 12:08:13 pm »

No

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2017, 12:26:36 pm »

So what you are saying is when he comes here and has a butt load of three star talent, he will lose to teams with 3 star talent.  Got it!  Another reason he should not be here. 

riccoar

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Serving Hogville since 11-08-03
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2017, 12:31:08 pm »

Do you really want a coach at Arkansas who can't develop a QB? I just see Gus being Nutt 2.0. Arkansas guy, but when things start going bad, it will split and destroy this fan base. Some will be loyal no matter what, some will hate him from the beginning.
Comparing Gus and Nutt in any category is simply foolish and just shows your grudge to be personal.  Here's a clue.  Gus gets fired in 2017?  He's coaching in 2018 at the D1 level.  Nutt wanted to coach again and can't even get a HS gig.

Broadway Rob

• Varsity
  • Former Theatre Teacher, Sports Fanatic
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2017, 12:35:37 pm »

Doesn't develop QBs (just like Les Miles). He is actually winning more with defense and running the ball than his QB development. That has to do more with the recruits he can land at Auburn than his coaching.

It has nothing to do with his past here. I just think whoever we get, needs to be a QB guru. In his time at Auburn, he has not been that. I don't really want Gus or Sumlin, but if I had to pick one, I would lean Sumlin.

Jarrett Stidham 2017   Auburn    66.8 completion %   1996 yards   11 td   3 int
Pretty Respectable. 

I'd say Nick Marshall dd pretty well too.

clutch

« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2017, 12:56:20 pm »

Comparing Gus and Nutt in any category is simply foolish and just shows your grudge to be personal.  Here's a clue.  Gus gets fired in 2017?  He's coaching in 2018 at the D1 level.  Nutt wanted to coach again and can't even get a HS gig.

Nutt got a 2nd chance, which would be what Gus gets if he gets fired. 

clutch

« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2017, 12:57:14 pm »

Pretty Respectable. 

Stidham was good before he transferred in. I wouldn't say he's good because of development under Gus.

HF#1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2017, 01:05:18 pm »

What baggage?

riccoar

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Serving Hogville since 11-08-03
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2017, 01:44:16 pm »

Nutt got a 2nd chance, which would be what Gus gets if he gets fired. 
GTFOH, Lots of coaches get fired more than twice and still coach.  Nutt CAN'T find anyone stupid enough to hire his sorry arse at any level.

clutch

« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2017, 02:07:22 pm »

GTFOH, Lots of coaches get fired more than twice and still coach.  Nutt CAN'T find anyone stupid enough to hire his sorry arse at any level.

Yes, but he's 60 years old. I'm just pointing out that him getting fired from Arkansas wasn't the end of his career. He had another chance, at another major program, just as Gus would if he gets fired. If Gus were to fail at program #2, his career would likely be over as well.

I thought Nutt was terrible, but he did a pretty reasonable job at Arkansas. I don't think Gus would have much more success than Nutt did if he were at Arkansas. As bad as Gus fans hate to admit it, he's a lot like Nutt. Heavy on the run side, struggles developing a passing game, has trouble giving up control of his offense to an OC. Nutt averaged 7.5 wins a year at Arkansas, Gus averaging a little over 8 wins a year at Auburn with top 10 recruiting classes. To me, that's pretty dang similar.

Bob Slydell

• Senior
  • Well, just a second there professor...
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2017, 02:20:12 pm »

Malzahn produced wherever he has gone. He would be a natural for the Natural State. Plays exciting football and would be perfect for recruiting in this State. Why not?

He's largely been mediocre at Auburn.  And if it weren't for a couple of miracle finishes in his first year, he would have been mediocre his entire tenure.  He won't be able to recruit nearly as well at Arkansas as he can at Auburn so he probably would be even more mediocre here.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2017, 02:50:57 pm »

Pretty Respectable. 

You talking about the guy who has sat out for over a year and was considered a heisman front runner before he even played a down at Auburn?  Yeeeahhhh

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2017, 02:52:08 pm »

Dude called out your incorrect statement, go be mad at yourself.

gguillo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Shoooosh! Quiet please! I have an announcement...
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2017, 04:13:49 pm »

I'd take it in a NY minute.

BadHog

« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2017, 08:38:47 pm »

Get ready for it.

Scott7703

« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2017, 08:59:41 pm »

Could be a sweet homecoming.

Paul

• Hogvillian
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2017, 09:20:11 pm »

I think Gus would at least be as successful as Nutt.  I just don't like the guy and that is based on things I hear from when he was here in Jonesboro. The stAte fans were a lot more sad to see Freeze leave than they were Gus.
Iíve heard stories from Hughes that heís a first class jerk

DOC-T

• Varsity
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2017, 09:25:57 pm »

If Gus is hired we will be headed back to the past in year 5. 

colbs

« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2017, 10:40:34 pm »

One of things that bothers me about the whole Gus situation is how itís never his fault.  When an OC at Arkansas the wins were because of him and the losses were Nuttís fault.  When OC at Auburn he is the reason they won the NC(even though they only scored 22 points in the title game).  The other seasons when just average it was Chizikís fault.  Then as a HC at Auburn the coordinatorís got all of blame(Rhett & Ellis Johnson).  This isnít Gus but Arkansas fans that are doing this.  So how hard would he be to get rid of if things didnít work out at Arkansas?  It would probably be similar to the Nutt situation with a chance to split the fan base.

hogsolutely

• Bench Warmer
    • Blackbirds88
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2017, 06:42:52 am »

I feel like more an more it's pointing at Gus, or Norvell to be the next HC at Arkansas!   

clutch

« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2017, 06:46:57 am »

One of things that bothers me about the whole Gus situation is how itís never his fault.  When an OC at Arkansas the wins were because of him and the losses were Nuttís fault.  When OC at Auburn he is the reason they won the NC(even though they only scored 22 points in the title game).  The other seasons when just average it was Chizikís fault.  Then as a HC at Auburn the coordinatorís got all of blame(Rhett & Ellis Johnson).  This isnít Gus but Arkansas fans that are doing this.  So how hard would he be to get rid of if things didnít work out at Arkansas?  It would probably be similar to the Nutt situation with a chance to split the fan base.

Everyone always says that he won that NC with a terrible defense too. That's just not the case. That defense had 8 players on it that went on to spend some time in the NFL. It had a D-Line anchored by Nick Fairley. They shut down a team in the NC that was supposed to be an offensive juggernaut.

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2017, 06:52:51 am »

Yeah, must suck to win the National Title and only score 22 points. I'd take a National Title if we only kicked 2 FG's & won.

colbs

« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2017, 07:07:23 am »

Yeah, must suck to win the National Title and only score 22 points. I'd take a National Title if we only kicked 2 FG's & won.
My point was that as OC he got more credit than Chizik for that game. The defense only allowed Oregon to score 19. 

The Hawg Marshal

« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2017, 11:00:23 am »

Iíve heard stories from Hughes that heís a first class jerk
He certainly thinks a lot of himself that's for sure. Of course that's no crime I guess.

hogsolutely

• Bench Warmer
    • Blackbirds88
« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2017, 11:17:20 am »

I feel that Gus would get all the instate talent we have, but that isn't enough.  could he build on all that ?  not really sure.  I like Gus's philosophy it is current to today's College football.  But, not sure if he would be my first choice, an still need a lot to play out.  My top Three on my wish list would be.
1.  Norvell
2.  Campbell
3.  Gus

jgcat4

• Senior
  • If you ain't first, you're last
« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2017, 10:50:56 pm »

Refreshing take, I saw a poll where Norvell was smoking Gus like 73/27 for the fans choice. Frito Pie wasn't an option though so take that poll with a grain of salt.

I love frito pie but only if the chiliís good and the chees portion is right.

Bob Slydell

• Senior
« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2017, 10:55:46 am »

He's produced plenty of 4+ loss seasons.  If we are looking for SEC retreads, Les Miles has produced much more than Gus.  Both suck, but Gus sucks more.

EastTNHog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2017, 11:26:06 am »

Iíd be ok with Gus. Way better than what we have now. He knows the kinds of kids that Arkansas needs to be successful.

Bob Slydell

• Senior
« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2017, 11:39:58 am »

Iíd be ok with Gus. Way better than what we have now. He knows the kinds of kids that Arkansas needs to be successful.

He knows what Auburn needs as well.  He won't get kids as highly rated here as he has at Auburn.  Not sure the fans would want more 8-5 seasons that Gus would likely bring.

TX HOG

« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2017, 01:04:44 pm »

I feel that Gus would get all the instate talent we have, but that isn't enough.  could he build on all that ?  not really sure.  I like Gus's philosophy it is current to today's College football.  But, not sure if he would be my first choice, an still need a lot to play out.  My top Three on my wish list would be.
1.  Norvell
2.  Campbell
3.  Gus

I like the top 2 and guess Iíd be ok with Gus as Third.

Letsroll1200

« Reply #97 on: November 11, 2017, 03:54:40 pm »

Gus and the Razorbacks will work. Go get Gus.

Piggie

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #98 on: November 11, 2017, 03:56:09 pm »

I second the motion!

grayhawg

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2017, 04:03:31 pm »

If Auburn wins today or against Bama you can write him off, a win against either one and Auburn probably don't fire him, almost $ 8 mil buyout betcha the $$$ guys wanting Gus, don't want him that much.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas