• 385,125 Topics
• 21,569 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What about Gus Malzahn  (Read 1893 times)

zuko

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
What about Gus Malzahn
« on: November 07, 2017, 02:21:32 pm »

Malzahn produced wherever he has gone. He would be a natural for the Natural State. Plays exciting football and would be perfect for recruiting in this State. Why not?

Matt Burks

• Senior
    • The Saline Courier
Re: What about Gus Malzahn
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 02:22:22 pm »

Definitely not my first choice, but I'd take him over Leach.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HF#1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 02:22:44 pm »

I think he checks all the boxes that are required for Arkansas to be successful but most seem to have some sort of personal vendetta against him. I'm not sure we could pull him from Auburn though. I don't think Auburn will fire him this season.

pigatron

• Bench Warmer
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 02:23:18 pm »

No, maybe as HDN's OC.

Marshfieldhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 02:23:44 pm »

Refreshing take, I saw a poll where Norvell was smoking Gus like 73/27 for the fans choice. Frito Pie wasn't an option though so take that poll with a grain of salt.

HF#1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 02:25:01 pm »

Refreshing take, I saw a poll where Norvell was smoking Gus like 73/27 for the fans choice. Frito Pie wasn't an option though so take that poll with a grain of salt.

Which makes no sense. Gus has won in the SEC. He's played for a National Title. He can recruit, especially in Arkansas. You get Gus and the days of coaches coming here and plucking our best talent are over.

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 02:26:25 pm »

I think he checks all the boxes that are required for Arkansas to be successful but most seem to have some sort of personal vendetta against him. I'm not sure we could pull him from Auburn though. I don't think Auburn will fire him this season.

Not “most”, but I do think the minority that bow and kiss Nutts sack do.... since Gus threatened Nutt somehow....

Matt Burks

• Senior
    • The Saline Courier
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 02:27:26 pm »

I think he checks all the boxes that are required for Arkansas to be successful but most seem to have some sort of personal vendetta against him.

What makes you think he'd have the same level of success, or even greater, here at Arkansas? The one area that Arkansas will have to mightily overcome is raising the level of recruiting. Gus was at a place where recruiting was always high level, but I doubt he could replicate that same level here. Gus used to be a very hot commodity that recruits would flock too, but that was years ago. That luster has worn off of him since we now have a lot of younger coaches that are running versions of his type of spread.

Mr. Porkleone

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Founder, “Salt Bowl” High Schools biggest game.
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 02:28:07 pm »

Will be next coach.

MARK THAT DOWN

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 02:29:59 pm »

If I was going to hire a recently fired SEC coach, I would actually hire Sumlin before Gus.

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 02:31:15 pm »

If I was going to hire a recently fired SEC coach, I would actually hire Sumlin before Gus.

You’re seriously nucking futts.....  see a therapist...

HF#1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 02:31:52 pm »

What makes you think he'd have the same level of success, or even greater, here at Arkansas? The one area that Arkansas will have to mightily overcome is raising the level of recruiting. Gus was at a place where recruiting was always high level, but I doubt he could replicate that same level here. Gus used to be a very hot commodity that recruits would flock too, but that was years ago. That luster has worn off of him since we now have a lot of younger coaches that are running versions of his type of spread.

You are quick to dismiss a guy who's career has bypassed Arkansas when it comes to success. He may not be able to recruit as highly as he did at Auburn, but he will recruit well enough to keep us out of the cellar and allow us to compete in the league. I promise you any skill player worth his salt knows who Gus is and is interested in playing for him.

HF#1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 02:32:17 pm »

What's your grudge with Gus?

Matt Burks

• Senior
    • The Saline Courier
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 02:32:21 pm »

So we want to go from one coach on the hot seat to another on the hot seat coach? That sounds like moving the program from the bottom to just about the mediocre level ... but not much more.

Wooderson

• Senior
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 02:33:13 pm »

I don't like Gus, but I agree.  Iceman you are crazy.  Sumlin has major problems.  Gus would be a safe hire like Miles.

HF#1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 02:33:26 pm »

So we want to go from one coach on the hot seat to another on the hot seat coach? That sounds like moving the program from the bottom to just about the mediocre level ... but not much more.

He's on the hot seat? He has the best 2 loss team in the country and has an outside shot at the CFP.

HF#1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 02:33:49 pm »

I don't like Gus, but I agree.  Iceman you are crazy.  Sumlin has major problems.  Gus would be a safe hire like Miles.

Why don't you like Gus?

Matt Burks

• Senior
    • The Saline Courier
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 02:34:42 pm »

He's on the hot seat? He has the best 2 loss team in the country and has an outside shot at the CFP.

He's been on and off the hot seat all year. They are talking that if he loses to Georgia and Alabama that he could be fired. How is that NOT on the hot seat?

HF#1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 02:35:17 pm »

He's been on and off the hot seat all year. They are talking that if he loses to Georgia and Alabama that he could be fired. How is that NOT on the hot seat?

He controls his own destiny. I bet Bret wishes he was in that spot. And let's not act like he is equal to Bielema. He is a significant upgrade.

rhog1

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 02:39:10 pm »

He cant win at Auburn and is a bad lose from being fired. With top ten recruiting classes. Sounds like a real winner to me. We don't need a coach with his own built in cheer leading faction in this state he would be HDN part 2 with probably worse results.

Wooderson

• Senior
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 02:39:15 pm »

Why don't you like Gus?

From a coaching perspective he can't develop a QB.  I believe that the 4 most critical areas required to win at the college level are:  First and foremost is the head coach.  Second is a playmaker qb.  Followed by a good defense and offensive line.  Those four things must be for a team to be special.

Matt Burks

• Senior
    • The Saline Courier
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 02:41:22 pm »

He controls his own destiny. I bet Bret wishes he was in that spot. And let's not act like he is equal to Bielema. He is a significant upgrade.
I never said he was equal to Bielema. Bielema literally has us at the bottom of the SEC right now. I think Gus could get us above that for sure, but I don't think the ceiling would be much higher if he came here. Now back when Bielema was hired, it would have been a great hire to get Gus instead, but today is much different. I don't think he'd have the same level of success here as he's had at times at Auburn. And yes, I don't think he'd unify the state either.

Matt Burks

• Senior
    • The Saline Courier
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2017, 02:45:53 pm »

I don't know. I'm not advocating for Les, but I think if we had to chose between Les and Gus right now, I'd take Les. Here's why. Les has been out of coaching and in an article I read it is driving him nuts not being a coach. If he got back in, he might have rejuvenated some of that passion and heart. I think Gus would be looking to get away from the pressure of Auburn, which is a completely opposite mindset. I'm betting that Les learned from his mistakes and would hire a good offensive coordinator and let him do his thing. People in the coaching community still have a lot of respect for Les and I'm betting that many felt he was treated unfairly at the end of his LSU tenure. Recruits have always loved him ... so who knows, Les may have a second youth if he gets back in with a high drive toward wanting to be successful.

Personally, I'm pulling for Norvell anyway. 

Dropkick

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2017, 02:45:55 pm »

Gus would be an upgrade but he would be a divisive hire. It would take a lot of Ws to bring some folks on board.

Wooderson

• Senior
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2017, 02:48:41 pm »

I don't know. I'm not advocating for Les, but I think if we had to chose between Les and Gus right now, I'd take Les. Here's why. Les has been out of coaching and in an article I read it is driving him nuts not being a coach. If he got back in, he might have rejuvenated some of that passion and heart. I think Gus would be looking to get away from the pressure of Auburn, which is a completely opposite mindset.

Personally, I'm pulling for Norvell anyway. 

I would choose Les because Gus would divide the fan base.  It would be like Nutt 2.0.  Plus Les could recruit Louisiana well which is in my opinion more important that Texas.

With that being said both would be safe hires that would get us back to 50% plus in SEC win percentage.

Wildhog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2017, 02:51:01 pm »

If you just want someone that can recruit Louisiana, then Frank Wilson is your guy.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2017, 03:07:37 pm »

What's your grudge with Gus?

Doesn't develop QBs (just like Les Miles). He is actually winning more with defense and running the ball than his QB development. That has to do more with the recruits he can land at Auburn than his coaching.

It has nothing to do with his past here. I just think whoever we get, needs to be a QB guru. In his time at Auburn, he has not been that. I don't really want Gus or Sumlin, but if I had to pick one, I would lean Sumlin.

Ironhawg

• This is my shocked face.
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2017, 03:08:52 pm »

I don't know why, but this made me lol!

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2017, 03:11:10 pm »

Do you really want a coach at Arkansas who can't develop a QB? I just see Gus being Nutt 2.0. Arkansas guy, but when things start going bad, it will split and destroy this fan base. Some will be loyal no matter what, some will hate him from the beginning.

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2017, 03:13:12 pm »

I would choose Les because Gus would divide the fan base.  It would be like Nutt 2.0.  Plus Les could recruit Louisiana well which is in my opinion more important that Texas.

With that being said both would be safe hires that would get us back to 50% plus in SEC win percentage.

Divide the fan base?....with who? It was divided because there were two camps...Nutt vs Gus. He's a dang good coach and I think he'd do well here.
I'm not a big fan of his, but if he becomes our next HC, I will be then.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2017, 03:20:18 pm »

Divide the fan base?....with who? It was divided because there two camps...Nutt vs Gus. He's a dang good coach and I think he'd do well here.
I'm not a big fan of his, but if he becomes our next HC, I will be then.

With top 5 talent in the country, he has gone 8-5, 7-6, and 8-5 the last 3 seasons. He is likely to finish 8-4 the season as well. So why do you think he could go to Arkansas, where he will have a worse defense and less overall talent, and do better with basically the exact same schedule? All while not really being able to develop a QB.

Piggie

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2017, 03:35:34 pm »

I'm on the Gus Bus, and if we can't get him, I'm on the Norvell Bus! Woo Pig!

1highhog

• 1964, the year of the hog.
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2017, 03:37:18 pm »

Do you really want a coach at Arkansas who can't develop a QB? I just see Gus being Nutt 2.0. Arkansas guy, but when things start going bad, it will split and destroy this fan base. Some will be loyal no matter what, some will hate him from the beginning.

Iceman is right in regards to Gus fracturing the fan base when things go south, and they will go south with him as coach, just wait for it.  Gus has never developed a quarterback yet and when that would happen here the natives, they would get very restless!!  Gus would bring about 8 and 9 win seasons I think, and yes, he would keep pretty much all of the Natural States talent home where it belongs.  But, he is a lying sack of shite and dirty, nothing to do with Nutts fiasco, just all of what he's done while at Auburn and AR. State.  Plus, I promise you none of us would be able to stomach his wife being the first lady for long.

Dropkick

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2017, 03:38:24 pm »

I'm on the Gus Bus, and if we can't get him, I'm on the Norvell Bus! Woo Pig!
I'm on the "Get Bret on a bus" bus

Piggie

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2017, 03:44:39 pm »

Amen! I'm on that bus too!  :)

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2017, 04:18:28 pm »

With top 5 talent in the country, he has gone 8-5, 7-6, and 8-5 the last 3 seasons. He is likely to finish 8-4 the season as well. So why do you think he could go to Arkansas, where he will have a worse defense and less overall talent, and do better with basically the exact same schedule? All while not really being able to develop a QB.

Well, the schedule hasn't been the same. Gus has played Clemson twice in non-conference, and has losses to OU & Wisky in bowl games. Not to mention UGA...but of course the SEC west schedule is the same. Last year, for example, his losses were to #1 Bama, #2 Clemson, #7 OU, #17 ATM, & UGA...pretty tough.
Although he has had Top 10 classes, his avg. class ranking on Rivals, Scout, & 24/7 Sports is just over 8, which is very good, with no Top 5 classes in the those 3 services.
Again, he's a good coach. Not saying he is my first choice, by any means, but I wouldn't hate the hire. We could do a lot worse, and I don't think the division would be quite as bad you you say.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2017, 05:32:13 pm »

I'll give Gus this. He will to do whatever it takes to succeed, including crapping on a bunch of 18 year old kids and their families. Of course he did this after making promises, not just normal recruiting type promises, but promises that called into play personal relationships. Didn't matter. Gus first. Real winner.

Piggie

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2017, 05:35:15 pm »

No, the head coach at that time always had the final say about who played and when. Gus cannot be held responsible for how the hc handled things.

root_hawg

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2017, 06:48:50 pm »

So other than the first year, he has won 7 or 8 games every year with 4 and 5 star recruits, why do you think he can do better here with less?

Piggie

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2017, 06:57:35 pm »

First, I think Gus knows how to best use his personnel, and could probably do more with less. Also, considering the losses he has at Auburn, they were close for the most part, and against good teams. He knows Arkansas high school football, and would probably keep the best instate players home.

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2017, 07:04:24 pm »

So other than the first year, he has won 7 or 8 games every year with 4 and 5 star recruits, why do you think he can do better here with less?

Who knows if anyone would do better and succeed ? Who knows if an "up & comer" could cut it in the SEC? You don't. Or perhaps someone who has had great success as a coordinator but has never been a Head coach? You just never know how it will work out.

TrueBlue

• Hogvillian
  • "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up."
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2017, 07:15:57 pm »

Don't know if I want Gus or not, but I do know that it wasn't Gus’s fault on why things turned out the way they did with Nutt. We were “rolling” before too many egos got involved. One was Nutt’s and the other was Broyles. It wasn’t just a coincidence that three players transferred and Malzahn went to Tulsa.

Broyles said time and time again that a no-huddle fast paced offense would never work in college. Boy, was he ever wrong!

root_hawg

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2017, 07:16:54 pm »

But you do have record on Gus, at a school with a better history, better recruiting base ... he has had one good year and then 3 years of 7-8 wins.

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2017, 07:29:07 pm »

Don't know if I want Gus or not, but I do know that it wasn't Gus’s fault on why things turned out the way they did with Nutt. We were “rolling” before too many egos got involved. One was Nutt’s and the other was Broyles. It wasn’t just a coincidence that three players transferred and Malzahn went to Tulsa.

Broyles said time and time again that a no-huddle fast paced offense would never work in college. Boy, was he ever wrong!

Actually, you are wrong. You are misquoting what Frank really said. To clarify...

"I made a clear statement that this offense won't work in the SEC unless the quarterback runs the ball," Broyles said. "I said, 'If the quarterback is a runner, it'll work.' But if your quarterback's not a runner, in my judgment and in the judgment of most of the people, it wouldn't work without the quarterback running the ball."

http://www.espn.com/espn/wire/_/section/ncf/id/2733149

lakecityhog

• Senior
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2017, 09:15:01 am »

Can you imagine what Gus will do with Bohannon? This kid is a near clone of Cam except maybe a bit faster!

If Gus or any coach could come in and average 8 or 9 wins a year "MOST" Hog fans would be happy. Everyone want to quote his record, but they want to leave out his 12-2 year, wonder why???

Let him come here and we win 8 next year then in 2019with Bohannon running Gus' offense we really go on a win spree. We may drop back a bit until he can find another such athlete, and it may take a couple of 7-5 or 8-4 years.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2017, 09:48:43 am »

Actually, you are wrong. You are misquoting what Frank really said. To clarify...

"I made a clear statement that this offense won't work in the SEC unless the quarterback runs the ball," Broyles said. "I said, 'If the quarterback is a runner, it'll work.' But if your quarterback's not a runner, in my judgment and in the judgment of most of the people, it wouldn't work without the quarterback running the ball."

http://www.espn.com/espn/wire/_/section/ncf/id/2733149

It actually shows how brilliant Frank was. He was exactly right. Shame idiots still misquote him.

RazorPiggie

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2017, 10:32:56 am »

Yes lets bring in a guy that gets top 10 talent every year and still only wins about 8 games a year. Sounds like a great idea.

ipigsooie

• Senior
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2017, 11:00:52 am »

This may be a dead thread if he wins this week or against bama. Both are at home.

1highhog

• 1964, the year of the hog.
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2017, 11:21:12 am »

It actually shows how brilliant Frank was. He was exactly right. Shame idiots still misquote him.

That's Hogville for you.  Idiots misquoting facts so they fit their own agenda.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Official Jeff Long Darksider!
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2017, 11:41:00 am »

This may be a dead thread if he wins this week or against bama. Both are at home.

It's already a dead thread because Gus isn't coming to the U of A and those who know the history of what happened in 2006 know why.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas