• 385,716 Topics
• 21,617 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Poll

Next head coach. These are your choices because I am AD.

Mike Norvell
- 299 (72.9%)
Gus Malzahn
- 111 (27.1%)

Total Members Voted: 409

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: Gus or Norvell. Who you got?  (Read 1979 times)

The NewEra

• All-American Hogvillian
  • New Era
Re: Poll: Gus or Norvell. Who you got?
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2017, 04:43:41 pm »

Matt Campbell

I don't think there's any way $10MM is forked over for his buyout, but if he were a serious choice he would be my first.  He's a defensive guru and runs an offense that fits what's currently on campus.

The Hawg Marshal

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • " National Champs 1909,1964 and 1977. "
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2017, 04:46:12 pm »

I don't think there's any way $10MM is forked over for his buyout, but if he were a serious choice he would be my first.  He's a defensive guru and runs an offense that fits what's currently on campus.
This is why I never mention him, even though I think he's a great coach. I try to stay realistic.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Paul

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2017, 05:48:17 pm »

Shokced so many folks are in on Norvell and out on Gus. Gus is a proven SEC winner and recruiter. Norvell has proven he can win in CUSA but not against the talent you face week in and week out in the SEC. Hogville is Bias I know but when it comes down to picking a proven SEC winning coach who has made a national title appearance vs a young up and coming coach, its an easy choice.
  Memphis plays in the AAC with Central FL & South FL.  All 3 are ranked.  Memphis was ranked in the top 20 of the 1st Playoff Poll & should move up this week. It's obviously not the SEC but I think Norvell is the best choice & much better for our future than Gus who has a polarizing personality.

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2017, 05:51:52 pm »

I am an up and comer type Guy.  But I am not interested in a 1 or 2 good years up and comer type Guy.

One thing that no one appears to note is that Gus has 4 complete years as a HC in the SEC.  He has been up and not so up but if you average those 4 complete years, his team has averaged coming in at 3.88 in the entire SEC.  Thats an average of just better than 4th annually out of 14 teams.  Not sure even Petrino did close to that.  OF COURSE, that was at Aubbie, not Arkansas.

Gus is the only coach with those type numbers that might even smell this job, much less actually take it on.  Who the new AD is at Aubbie and who the AD is at Arkansas might be the difference maker on getting Gus.  For 99 percent of all coaches, the Aubbie job is far superior, but maybe not Gus.

Roy Bacon

• Band Nerd
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2017, 06:00:58 pm »

I am an up and comer type Guy.  But I am not interested in a 1 or 2 good years up and comer type Guy.

Gus had 1 year of HC experience when hired at Auburn and the same goes for Freeze at Ole Miss

hog.goblin

• It's not revenge he's after. It's a reckoning.
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2017, 06:02:51 pm »

The coach who
1. Has Arkansas ties
2. Won a NC as OC
3. Been to a title game as head coach
4. Recently been to a NY6 bowl

Too easy, but hog fans have bitter ex Syndrome and hate Arkansans /people with arkansas ties who are successful outside of the razorbacks. Theyd rather be mediocre

This.  I canít stand Gus.  But Iíll take him over Norvell if we want to win games.  And I like Norvell.  I donít think either will be coaching the Hogs in 2018.

grayhawg

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2017, 06:05:48 pm »

Sigh, for the umteenth time Gus ain't coming to Arkansas, ever
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 06:41:25 pm by grayhawg »

Hawginj

• Senior
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2017, 06:40:00 pm »

Looks like Hillary I mean Gus is behind in the polls! Dilly!

HawgHeadCheese

• Varsity
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2017, 08:55:09 pm »

Correct. That entire situation was a lesson of pure greed on all sides. My hope is that no one who had any part of it ever has anything to do with razorback athletics again.

What happened?

East Clintwood

« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2017, 09:16:11 pm »

I'm disappointed in the number of people voting for Gus.  It's sad.

clutch

« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2017, 10:17:44 pm »

One thing that no one appears to note is that Gus has 4 complete years as a HC in the SEC.  He has been up and not so up but if you average those 4 complete years, his team has averaged coming in at 3.88 in the entire SEC.  Thats an average of just better than 4th annually out of 14 teams.  Not sure even Petrino did close to that.  OF COURSE, that was at Aubbie, not Arkansas.

Gus is the only coach with those type numbers that might even smell this job, much less actually take it on.  Who the new AD is at Aubbie and who the AD is at Arkansas might be the difference maker on getting Gus.  For 99 percent of all coaches, the Aubbie job is far superior, but maybe not Gus.

Nowadays, if they have more than 1 or 2 years at a smaller division, they aren't really an up and comer anymore. Those guys are getting recognized and snatched up fast.

Herman was at Houston for 2 years, Gus as ASU for 1, Freeze at ASU for 1, Harsin at ASU for 1. ASU kind of changed that narrative for all of college football with their insane coaching turnover for 4 years. People started taking chances on guys after short stints of success because they saw it work with Hugh, then Gus, then Harsin. Then Herman was a hot name, who only lasted more than 1 year at Houston because he was waiting for Texas to open. Now you have Norvell and Frost who will be hired up by big programs after this season if they are willing to leave. Norvell will be gone for sure to some school. Frost may choose to stay another year. I can't get a read on him, but Central Florida is a better place to wait out a dream job than Memphis.

Memhogs

• Bench Warmer
  • What time does Arkansas play?
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2017, 11:05:11 pm »

Norvell HC. Gus has top 10 recruiting every year and cant keep alive at Auburn. NO THANKS

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2017, 11:13:36 pm »

Interesting fact about Norvell is that coaching experience closely mirrors PJ Fleck. Both were GAs in 2006 and took off from there. Fleck had never even been a coordinator when hired as WM HC in 2013. Norvell was P5 coordinator for 4 years at ASU before being hired at Memphis in 2016.

Hoggie17

« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2017, 05:43:14 am »

Gus would be a good fit for Arkansas and is a proven winner. After 2 winning seasons those that hate him would come around. 

Paul

• Hogvillian
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2017, 12:33:33 pm »

Interesting fact about Norvell is that coaching experience closely mirrors PJ Fleck. Both were GAs in 2006 and took off from there. Fleck had never even been a coordinator when hired as WM HC in 2013. Norvell was P5 coordinator for 4 years at ASU before being hired at Memphis in 2016.
& associate head coach;  he was offered head coaching jobs but declined cuz he was waiting for the right fit.  Most thought that meant the South

zuko

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2017, 02:39:22 pm »

I'm thinking players right now and it seems to me that Malzahn is the guy for Cole Kelley and he would certainly know what to do with TJ Hammond. I am not sure that Norvell has shown enough yet much like Tom Herman who did good at Houston, but is finding out real quick at Texas that with all the  hype and renovated locker rooms you still have to play the games. Malzahn has produced every place he's been. No brainer.

Paul

• Hogvillian
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2017, 04:48:32 pm »

I'm thinking players right now and it seems to me that Malzahn is the guy for Cole Kelley and he would certainly know what to do with TJ Hammond. I am not sure that Norvell has shown enough yet much like Tom Herman who did good at Houston, but is finding out real quick at Texas that with all the  hype and renovated locker rooms you still have to play the games. Malzahn has produced every place he's been. No brainer.
  Clearly Texas has improved during his 1st year unlike our program

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2017, 05:03:19 pm »

Clearly Texas has improved during his 1st year unlike our program

Exactly, he wasn't going to go in there and win the B12 first year.  He's fighting several years of negative momentum dysfunction, the end of the MB tenure and CS's entire time there.  He's most likely going to go 6-6 at worst and 7-5 at best and have a winning conference record.  CS was 5-7 last year and 3-6 in conference.  It's not like he's going 0-8

hotdog hog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2017, 05:23:03 pm »

I just hope we have a choice between the two. I'd be excited for the obvious reasons that everyone's stated. I'm afraid Gus will stay at Auburn and Norvill will get a better gig. Then what? Let's hope we can get one or the other. I'd damn near take John L Smith back at this point!

hog.goblin

• It's not revenge he's after. It's a reckoning.
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2017, 08:10:20 pm »

I'd damn near take John L Smith back at this point!

Smile!

clutch

« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2017, 08:24:38 pm »

It's funny to me how many people are pointing to Herman as the negative example of hiring an up and comer. He's doing a pretty dang good job considering what he took over.

NashvilleHog

• Varsity
  • The end of the HDN era
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2017, 08:36:24 pm »

Gus has never won in Baton Rouge and gets beat by Alabama just about every year.  They find a way to lose a couple of other games each year, as of late.  So against the same teams in the same division, we would expect Gus to do differently with much less talent?   If he can't do it with Auburn talent, he's damn sure not going to do it at Arkansas

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2017, 01:59:17 pm »

I like Mike!

Punisher501

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2017, 02:30:56 pm »

Let the up and comer Norvell have a shot.  We don't need a retread like Gus that couldn't get it done with all the talent that Auburn has to offer.

The Hawg Marshal

« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2017, 02:51:09 pm »

I'm with Mike!

Wildhog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2017, 03:02:50 pm »

Frost/Campbell

Norvell

The Hawg Marshal

« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2017, 03:11:39 pm »

Frost/Campbell

Norvell
I think you have a great list there. If Frost doesn't go home to Nebraska or take the Florida job as rumored he'd be a great pick. I think Campbell's huge buyout will take him out of consideration, but he is a great coach.

Hudge

• Varsity
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2017, 03:56:53 pm »

I like Gus and his type of play, but I can never see him returning to Arkansas to coach. I guess Norvell of the two then.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas