Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Louisiana Sportswriter

Started by lahawg1, November 06, 2017, 08:04:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: The ColonelHog on November 06, 2017, 01:13:13 pm
Even though we agree on many points, I still disagree with you and Boreland on the recruiting front.  You guys contend UA will never be able to recruit enough SEC level talent to land anywhere except 7-10.

That is a very wrong premise!  Here are the reasons, starting with the recruiting services:

1.  All recruiting services place % on every recruit.  The #1 recruit in the country, regardless of position, is the highest % of any other player.  Keep in mind, these % are eye test only.  The pecking order continues from there placing % on each athlete.  The QB, WR, and RB positions tend to get the lions share of 5* rankings.  There were only 31-5* athletes in the country last year and only 31 this year.  The rest are 4s and 3s. 

2.  Tell me the difference in a low ranked 5* and a high ranked 4*.  Or a low ranked 4* and a high ranked three star.  The % that was awarded by the recruiting service based on the eye test and numbers which differ from state to state and classification to classification.  If you go back and research how the services operate and what is admitted by those who work in those services (I can provide links if you like) they admit there is zero difference in a high 4* and low 5*!  The difference comes in when you are looking at mid 3*s and 5*.

3.  Coaches recruit and sign to address need, not to increase recruiting rankings!

4.  So, in essence, it falls back on evaluation of talent by coaches.  The reason OK lite doesn't break the top 30 in recruiting but field good teams year after year and have a winning bowl record under Gundy is because he recruit a large number of receivers that fit a specific mold;  tall and fast, whether that type is a 3* or not. 

4a.  Now let's look at UA.  BP recruited WR heavy that consisted of size in one and speed in one but all had to posses good hands.  Those receivers were mid 3s to mid 4s.  He did NOT put much emphasis on O or D linemen and settled for a lot of mid 3s which drug his rankings down.  Did it matter on the field, NO, because the played toe to toe with OSU and Bama but lost due to small errors that had nothing to do with recruiting rankings.

4b.  Under BB's system, he focuses on a big O-Line, TEs, and RBs.  UA hasn't had ANY problem signing 4* TEs, O linemen, and RBs.  We have a ton on the roster at each position!  So why the low ranking?  Tweeners!  If you look at the rankings, those TEs, O Linemen, and RBs were mid-level to low 4*s.  And then he threw in 3* WRs, which drove the rankings down.

5.  So why do other teams have a higher ranking?  Simple, players on the high end of the 4* % and 5s!  BUT!  The recruiting services already confirm, "the difference in low % 4s and high % 4s is neglible!  EXCEPT, when tallying team rankings! 

6.  So, as those who run the rankings say, the difference in a #10 class and a #25 class neglible UNLESS, #10 has a combination of 2 or 3- 5s and tweener 4*~5!

Now, if the recruiting services admit, the neglible difference of talent level between low 3* and high 3* or low 4* only applies when calculating team rank, not how talent translate on the field, then how can any of you say, "we don't have SEC caliber talent?"

And don't bring up Bama!  Bama has gobbled up actual 5* talent!  But I would still ask, "how many 5* athletes play in the NFL?  The ones that do came from certain schools:  Bama, LSU, and OSU with sprinkles from a variety of schools....

Recruiting, both by coaches and in ranking the recruits, is not an exact science. But is there any real argument against the fact that teams that get the highest ranked recruits year after year after are also the same teams near the top of the rankings after games are played year after year after year?

What makes the SEC so tough is that you can be top 20 nationally in recruiting, and still only be 7th in the SEC.

Quote from: Porkette on November 06, 2017, 12:26:11 pm
Hogsanity, serious and respectful question here. I have a really hard time understanding what exactly you see as your purpose on this board. You seem to dedicate many hours of your time to telling other fans, on a Razorback message board, that in a nutshell, being a Razorback fan is pointless because we can't ever win anything of any consequence. Now, most of what you point out about recruiting is true. We do have major limitations in recruiting. Knowledgeable fans are aware of this. But for now, I still choose to be a fan for a variety of reasons, and Arkansas has still proven to be a respectable (though not powerhouse) program for most of our history.

But if you believe it's all futile, why not just be a casual fan at best? Why spend time on here constantly arguing this point?  Just enjoy arguing for the fun of it? I'm kind of curious.

I do not think I have a purpose here, any more than anyone else. It is a board where people with screen names and avatars post their thoughts. To me, it is amazing that so many people seemingly, based on what they post, allow their lives to be torn up by what a group of 18-22 yr olds do on a football field.

I am lucky, I have a job where I can post, leave HV open all day if I want to, but that leads to me over posting from time to time, I acknowledge that. But my opinion is every bit as valid as any other posted here.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

razoredge178

BB has clearly had an issue with translating 3 & 4* high school grads into 3 & 4* college players. The sheer amount of players that haven't panned out for him is, #1 astounding, and, #2 an indication that while these kids looked good on paper they got overlooked by the Bama's and others for a reason. Reasons that we apparently are willing to try to work through.

It makes you wonder how bad our recruiting classes actually are, if you could take a magic ball and take college juniors and compare their performance to the star rating they were recruited at out of high school.

Cinco de Hogo

So by now CBB's first classes should start getting reranked, does someone still do that and where do you find it?

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 10:13:43 am
Where did I say NOT to hire a spread offense coach? What i said and have said for a long time, UNTIL THE DEFENSE IS FIXED it will not matter what type offense the run. I mean they gave up 38 pts ( one score was a defensive td ) to a team averaging 22 ppg iirc.

Again, fix the defense IF the goal is to win titles. If the goal is to just win some games, bring a guy to run whatever offense.

A new coach can also recruit & develop better defenders.  It doesn't have to just be an offensive overhaul with a new coach. We need better schemes on both offense & defense.  If not, we're just not going to be competitive in the SEC.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

hogsanity

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on November 06, 2017, 03:17:53 pm
A new coach can also recruit & develop better defenders.  It doesn't have to just be an offensive overhaul with a new coach. We need better schemes on both offense & defense.  If not, we're just not going to be competitive in the SEC.

Can you name one dedicated spread offense coach other than Dabo that has consistently fielded really good defenses? Just look at what even Oklahoma has become defensively the last few years. And when I refer to the spread, I am talking about something like Norvell runs at Memphis, since so many here are drooling over him, not what Patterson runs at TCU. I doubt many here want TCu's offense.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wants2Win

Hogsanity thought hiring Bert was a good thing....at this point I'd settle at being mediocre on offense OR defense. We're terrible at every aspect of the game. Beggars can't be choosers.

ipigsooie

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 04:41:57 pm
Can you name one dedicated spread offense coach other than Dabo that has consistently fielded really good defenses? Just look at what even Oklahoma has become defensively the last few years. And when I refer to the spread, I am talking about something like Norvell runs at Memphis, since so many here are drooling over him, not what Patterson runs at TCU. I doubt many here want TCu's offense.

Why are so many people all over Schiano from Ohio state? I suppose you could throw them in the group with Clemson. I personally don't care for Schiano. Also, there are a lot of versions of the spread. Alabama ran the spread under kiffin and i would say they have a decent defense. 

Tuskya

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 06, 2017, 09:29:05 am
It will be called the Miracle in the Swamp. If the  Hogs pull off the win.

Swamp? Isn't that in Gainesville?

rude1

Quote from: hogsanity on November 06, 2017, 11:31:06 am
Show me one post where I have said whet we have today is good enough? I can show you several where I have said BB has shown he is not going to get it done in the SEC.

So now having a defense capable of getting a critical stop is trying to out bama bama?

Look, I get it, most people do not get excited over defense and most fans would rather watch a 65-58 game than a 14-10 game. If the goal is to just win some games, be entertained, and maybe make a run every now and then, go for it with a team that can't stop anyone but might have enough offense to outscore 8 teams a year.

IF, however, anyone still harbors thoughts o winning the secw, or the seccg, or making the playoff, then you better hope they hire a coach capable of building a defense.
I guess you just don't get it, the days of winning 14-10 are pretty much over if you haven't been paying attention. It is why even Saban changed to the spread, he realized even with his 5* defense he wasn't going to lock down these top spread offenses when it mattered and he was going to need to be able to score himself to keep pace. Last year NC is a perfect example of this, playing the old way he played, Clemson would have ran him out of the building, as he wouldn't have been able to keep up with their scoring pace, by changing it took a last second drive to wrestle the title away from him.

rlamb

Look for the LSU running back Guice to challenge Darren McFadden's SEC single game
rushing record of 321 yards?

Pork Twain

Quote from: depressed_fan on November 06, 2017, 08:27:45 am
please tell me this is fake news and a real Louisiana journalist doesn't view our program in this light. Please tell me it's fake. This isn't like a Tom Murphy or Bob holt or Trey Biddy or Bo Mattingly or Dudley Dawson is it?  Maybe a Robert shields type...........
Well it's the truth, so...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

IronHog

Quote from: razoredge178 on November 06, 2017, 01:35:39 pm
BB has clearly had an issue with translating 3 & 4* high school grads into 3 & 4* college players. The sheer amount of players that haven't panned out for him is, #1 astounding, and, #2 an indication that while these kids looked good on paper they got overlooked by the Bama's and others for a reason. Reasons that we apparently are willing to try to work through.

It makes you wonder how bad our recruiting classes actually are, if you could take a magic ball and take college juniors and compare their performance to the star rating they were recruited at out of high school.

Saban himself went to Pine Bluff to watch Gragg

Kids buried behind the UNCOMMON favorites (see not black from south)

BB plays favorites and has since day one
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

HardCore

Quote from: moses_007 on November 06, 2017, 11:33:21 am
We all should forward this news article to Jeff Long.

He or his brainwashed staff would just tell us to find another team
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Rayzback

Quote from: Hogwild on November 06, 2017, 08:38:38 am
No, its Glenn Guilbeau, he is the LSU beat writer for North Louisiana, he also works for USA Today

Building a recruiting wall one press release at a time.
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin