• 385,558 Topics
• 21,600 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The TIMING of any potential change ...  (Read 2102 times)

Cinco de Hogo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: The TIMING of any potential change ...
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2017, 03:45:07 pm »

One thing is absolutely certain and I know it hurts the pocketbook to some undetermined amount, but, you cannot wait until Jan 1st.

Next question:  Now or before Dec 1st?

Next question: Just BB or both?

The BOT has to answer those two questions before they move on to further business.

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2017, 03:48:06 pm »

So you really think that firing the AD is just as important as hiring a new head football coach? Hindsight being 20/20 there wasn't much evidence that BB would fail this bad. I mean I didn't think it would be a good fit because of his offensive philosophy but his failures are way beyond just that. I have no problem keeping Long as AD just keep him on a short leash. He should not make the decision to hire the next coach alone.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2017, 03:48:45 pm »

That's a major major problem and one that you give up a lot by firing a coach.

Or gain a lot by firing a lame duck coach.  There is no reason back channel discussions couldn't be going on right now other than most fans think Long will dig his heels in.

Cinco de Hogo

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2017, 04:02:43 pm »

So you really think that firing the AD is just as important as hiring a new head football coach? Hindsight being 20/20 there wasn't much evidence that BB would fail this bad. I mean I didn't think it would be a good fit because of his offensive philosophy but his failures are way beyond just that. I have no problem keeping Long as AD just keep him on a short leash. He should not make the decision to hire the next coach alone.

I don't know if your question was directed at me but I'm a long time anti-Long poster so my view is biased.  I want the Razorback Nation to be family and that includes the BOT, The RF and the biggest heavy hitters.   That is a tall order right now with the BOT having more power than they used to have and their interest will be in keeping Jeff Long.  However the RF and heavy hitters are more interested in football success that Long and the BOT might be.  So there is a senario for a big fight with Long in the middle. 

In the past we've worried about the GOBN which was the RF and heavy hitters mostly.  So Longs role would be to negotiate the dangerous waters between these groups.  My problem is that with the money now made the only reason the BOT even needs the RF is to guarantee coaches salaries and even Longs overblown salary.  However Long seems philosophically more aligned with the BOT than "sports interest".

Now the question is, what do YOU make of that?

LumberBacks

• Varsity
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2017, 04:06:17 pm »

4 scenarios exists:

1) Long stays, Bielema fired/resigns.  This seems to be the general consensus on how it will play out after the Mizzou game.   Long can no longer support CBB due to his abysmal 5-year record and hires a new coach.  A new coach will want to know who his boss is before he signs on.  Lots of smoke that this is already being pursued.

2) Long is fired/resigns, Bielema fired/resigns.  While this may be the popular choice for the pitchfork crowd, it would hurt in the short term.  A decent coach is not going to sign on with an interim boss.  This might require Arkansas to retain a short-term coach a la JLS, such as Enos, and an interim AD.  But after 2018 stability will return with new permanent hires.  2018 signing day would likely be a wash, although a smallish class anyway that might not set Arkansas back several years even if lackluster.

3) Long fired/resigns, Bielema stays.  This would likely set up a coaching change but only after the 2018 season, meaning another year of Bielema and apathetic crowds.  In the longer term, a new AD would have a year or so to determine a future coarse of action and would be in a better position to research and retain a coach when Bielema departs following the 2018 season.  So the results and impact would likely be about the same as #2.

4) Long stays, Bielema stays.  This scenario has will put Hogville into a tailspin.  Double the apathy.  It would be a sign that  Arkansas is not a destination for even up-and-coming ADs or head football coaches.

I'd submit that in the best interest of Arkansas football, the best to least desireable options are: #1, #3, #2 and #4.

LumberBacks

• Varsity
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2017, 04:10:15 pm »

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Official Jeff Long Darksider!
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2017, 04:22:06 pm »

4 scenarios exists:

1) Long stays, Bielema fired/resigns.  This seems to be the general consensus on how it will play out after the Mizzou game.   Long can no longer support CBB due to his abysmal 5-year record and hires a new coach.  A new coach will want to know who his boss is before he signs on.  Lots of smoke that this is already being pursued.

2) Long is fired/resigns, Bielema fired/resigns.  While this may be the popular choice for the pitchfork crowd, it would hurt in the short term.  A decent coach is not going to sign on with an interim boss.  This might require Arkansas to retain a short-term coach a la JLS, such as Enos, and an interim AD.  But after 2018 stability will return with new permanent hires.  2018 signing day would likely be a wash, although a smallish class anyway that might not set Arkansas back several years even if lackluster.

3) Long fired/resigns, Bielema stays.  This would likely set up a coaching change but only after the 2018 season, meaning another year of Bielema and apathetic crowds.  In the longer term, a new AD would have a year or so to determine a future coarse of action and would be in a better position to research and retain a coach when Bielema departs following the 2018 season.  So the results and impact would likely be about the same as #2.

4) Long stays, Bielema stays.  This scenario has will put Hogville into a tailspin.  Double the apathy.  It would be a sign that  Arkansas is not a destination for even up-and-coming ADs or head football coaches.

I'd submit that in the best interest of Arkansas football, the best to least desireable options are: #1, #3, #2 and #4.

I'd submit that in the best interest of Arkansas Football the best option by a massive long shot is #2. I don't buy that about a decent coach not coming to Arkansas if the AD is an interim nor do I buy that an interim HC will be needed (unless CBB is fired before season's end).

zerose

• Band Nerd
  • The porcine prognosticator
« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2017, 04:25:05 pm »

I say Jeff only hires a new coach with approval from certain boosters and BOT.  Then drop the hammer on Jeff.

If I am correct, his contract expired in the summer, and has not yet been renewed. Perhaps the lack of it being considered is telling. There is no mention of it in the BOT agenda. The dominos will fall soon. If he has soured the trustees as much as he has the donors of the past he is gone. What ole J Frank did was made every donor feel special. Jeffie pretty much doesn't care about you unless you have multi-millions to give. There are a lot of donor who would give, but don't feel that their tens or hundreds of thousands are appreciated. I think his biggest downfall was this. The "middle" tier donors were turned off by him. One does not win a fishing tournament by throwing back those less than 5 pounds... likewise an AD does not keep their job in the same manner with money.

zerose

• Band Nerd
  • The porcine prognosticator
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2017, 04:27:59 pm »

One thing is absolutely certain and I know it hurts the pocketbook to some undetermined amount, but, you cannot wait until Jan 1st.

Next question:  Now or before Dec 1st?

Next question: Just BB or both?

The BOT has to answer those two questions before they move on to further business.

Granted that the published agenda is only a draft, but as of right now it will not be in on the agenda. I'm sure if we had lost to CC then it would be added.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2017, 04:30:21 pm »

If I am correct, his contract expired in the summer, and has not yet been renewed. Perhaps the lack of it being considered is telling. There is no mention of it in the BOT agenda. The dominos will fall soon. If he has soured the trustees as much as he has the donors of the past he is gone. What ole J Frank did was made every donor feel special. Jeffie pretty much doesn't care about you unless you have multi-millions to give. There are a lot of donor who would give, but don't feel that their tens or hundreds of thousands are appreciated. I think his biggest downfall was this. The "middle" tier donors were turned off by him. One does not win a fishing tournament by throwing back those less than 5 pounds... likewise an AD does not keep their job in the same manner with money.

His Contract expires in the summer of 2018.

Con el Cerdos

• Senior
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2017, 04:33:44 pm »

No, it wouldn't be disastrous. It would absolutely be the correct move to make although I doubt that the interim AD's tenure would be a whole year. Maybe more like 6 months if that. Either Ken Hatfield or Terry Don Phillips would do great as interim AD. One never knows, Terry Don might want stay on as AD. I really hope that the BOT has the intestinal fortitude and the brains to terminate Long when they meet Wednesday but I'm not confident they will make the move.

You guys are missing a very important (critical) step here.  Firing Long now, great idea.  Hiring and interim AD now great idea.  Terminating BB at seasons end, great idea.

What we do not need is the interim AD hiring the next head coach.

Start the search for the next AD, get him/her (very well could be a she) in place to hire his/her choice for the next head football coach.  And do it.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2017, 04:34:21 pm »

Granted that the published agenda is only a draft, but as of right now it will not be in on the agenda. I'm sure if we had lost to CC then it would be added.

They would have to go into Executive Session to discuss Jeff Long's contract and the Executive Session would not be listed on the agenda since it is a private closed meeting.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2017, 04:36:21 pm »

What's wrong with the interim AD choosing the next Head Coach? The BOT still has to approve the choice anyway.

mweston

• Varsity
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2017, 04:58:59 pm »

If the board does indeed meet Wednesday and decides a change is to be made at the Head Football Coach or Athletic Director position, I believe we will hear an announcement by the weekend or next week. 

If Long AND Beilema are gone, I would expect them to pull the trigger on Long first and do it fairly soon, so that they can get someone in place to conduct a search and hire Beilema's replacement.

31to6

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2017, 05:02:35 pm »

What's wrong with the interim AD choosing the next Head Coach? The BOT still has to approve the choice anyway.
Head Coaches like to know who their boss will be. Interim AD will cause some coaches to not be viable targets. You basically have to have plan A in the bag or you could quickly find yourself with a bunch of "thanks but no thanks" and ending up with a retread who wants to retire or a so-so coach who just wants your money.

Not saying it can't be done, but it can be a factor if there is not a natural successor (successful alumnus at a G5, for example) who would take the job without knowing the AD.

Hog-Corleone

• Hogvillian
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2017, 05:23:20 pm »

If they let hm go after the LSU loss, I might pull my remaining tickets to the las two games out of the trash can and go.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas