• 385,075 Topics
• 21,566 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The TIMING of any potential change ...  (Read 2090 times)

sevenof400

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
The TIMING of any potential change ...
« on: November 05, 2017, 10:38:00 am »

Leave aside who the next coach may be, and for that matter, leave aside who may be in the AD's chair.
For the good of the program what would be the best timing of any move to replace Bielema and / or Long?

Is there an advantage to being the 1st major (?) program to have an opening as the off season approaches especially considering other SEC teams will likely have coaching openings as well? 

If both Long and Bielema are sent packing, can / should Arkansas then hire an AD first, and allow him to hire the next HC?

I think the likely reality for Arkansas is they are going to have to find some up and comers who are real to ply their trades at the next level of football and/or athletics.  If that assumption is true, wouldn't starting sooner make more sense than starting at season's end?

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
    • Bring Back Slobbering Hog
Re: The TIMING of any potential change ...
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 10:40:29 am »

They will wait to see how the last 3 games go.

Doesn't the buyout drop on January 1, or was that disproven in the ArDemGazette article on his salary? I forget.

Of course, I guess they could "announce" a change before January 1. In reality, they could already be looking for a replacement behind the scenes; there is nothing stopping them from doing so before they fire big boy.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 10:43:31 am »

Im going to say that he's let go the Saturday after the MO game.

New coach will be announced Dec. 1

Hoggish1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 10:45:36 am »

My opinion is that Long needs to go now.  He can not be allowed to make the next hire or have anything to do with it, for that matter.

If there is to be a next hire, the job needs to go to an interim AD, someone with AD experience, who would come back and bail us out for at least a year.

Then a search for the full time AD can run its logical course in the time it demands.

Dark Helmet Hog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 10:58:07 am »

Sounds too good to be true. Has to be another catch in there...

tusked

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 11:00:13 am »

Sounds too good to be true. Has to be another catch in there...

Well the catch is if the PTB can get their collective arses together enough to make a good hire.  There is a legitimate change that Dec. 1 is a WT F  moment.

Granny fan

• Senior
  • "Jethro says smog is a small hog."
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 11:27:02 am »

I say Jeff only hires a new coach with approval from certain boosters and BOT.  Then drop the hammer on Jeff.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 11:28:56 am »

I say Jeff only hires a new coach with approval from certain boosters and BOT.  Then drop the hammer on Jeff.

but GPA

tusked

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 11:30:19 am »

Yes, but I don't see the hammer being dropped on JL unless he just gets so obtuse the BOT has no choice.   JL doesn't want to walk away from a $1M/year job, which I find amazing he makes that much for what his 'program' produces.

Cambridge Hog

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 11:33:53 am »

Who’s going to hire the new coach if you fire the guy who’s job it is to hire the new coach?

You are asking for a LOT of pieces to already be in place if you think Long gets canned.

Ex-Trumpet

• When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 11:34:41 am »

I would have fired him a few weeks ago and appointed an interim.  Doing this would have showed the fans and team that what has been going on is unacceptable and will not continue.

As of now, we have no idea if it will continue or not; in turn, there are fans hoping the team loses.  That is extremely divisive and, well, just sad.  (Not to mention what it is doing to recruiting).

go hogues

• You're at an eight but we need you at a two.
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 11:35:50 am »

My opinion is that Long needs to go now.  He can not be allowed to make the next hire or have anything to do with it, for that matter.

If there is to be a next hire, the job needs to go to an interim AD, someone with AD experience, who would come back and bail us out for at least a year.

Then a search for the full time AD can run its logical course in the time it demands.
I'm with you on Long not making the hire but the rest of your scenario would be disastrous.

go hogues

• You're at an eight but we need you at a two.
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 11:36:57 am »

I would have fired him a few weeks ago and appointed an interim.  Doing this would have showed the fans and team that what has been going on is unacceptable and will not continue.

As of now, we have no idea if it will continue or not; in turn, there are fans hoping the team loses.  That is extremely divisive and, well, just sad.  (Not to mention what it is doing to recruiting).
This. I'd for sure have done it last night or this morning.

rhames

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 11:37:41 am »

Who’s going to hire the new coach if you fire the guy who’s job it is to hire the new coach?

You are asking for a LOT of pieces to already be in place if you think Long gets canned.

Don't bring reason into their fantasy of the double termination

Jeff will be the one who hires the new coach.

sevenof400

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 09:06:28 am »

I'm on board with this type of approach as well - I'm not sure what is gained by stretching out the inevitable but that's why I posted the original question.  In this case, I think being first in line of teams to replace a coach this year (or towards the beginning of the line) is far better than being toward the end of the line. 

Athog

• Hogville.net
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 09:14:44 am »

Based on his past experience?  Petrino? Anderson? Give reasons other than you don't like him. I am not advocating for him necessarily but would like to know the thought process.

sowmonella

• I am the danger.
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2017, 09:20:47 am »

The problem is that most of the main HC targets will want to wait until all the chips have fallen across the country before they make a decision as to where they want to coach. I don't believe it's a first opening equals first choice option.

Drop the Mike

• Varsity
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 09:26:13 am »

I agree. It would have been a boost to attendance as well as people would have come to support the players knowing that there also is a coaching change being made.

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 09:27:22 am »

At the end of the day, you hope it is handled in the most positive manner possible.  Personally, I think that is him “resigning” in exchange for his buyout after the Missouri game.  If he won’t negotiate/resign, then fire him the day after Mizzou.  Of all possible scenarios that reflect best on us, those are the two best.  There is no reason proxy communication with a possible hire can’t already be underway.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Official Jeff Long Darksider!
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2017, 09:28:34 am »

I'm with you on Long not making the hire but the rest of your scenario would be disastrous.

No, it wouldn't be disastrous. It would absolutely be the correct move to make although I doubt that the interim AD's tenure would be a whole year. Maybe more like 6 months if that. Either Ken Hatfield or Terry Don Phillips would do great as interim AD. One never knows, Terry Don might want stay on as AD. I really hope that the BOT has the intestinal fortitude and the brains to terminate Long when they meet Wednesday but I'm not confident they will make the move.

nichc85

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 09:41:44 am »

Florida sure fixed its' problem with an interim. Let Coach Bielema finish the season and then make the move. The players haven't quit at this point so the best approach is status quo. No major changes or improvements can be made this late in the season

3kgthog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Don't PM me. I never read them.
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 09:47:57 am »

We're going to be caught in an agent bidding war with several other programs no matter when BB gets canned. Someone (maybe us) is going to seriously overpay and again raise the ridiculous coach pay ceiling.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 09:54:37 am »

Florida sure fixed its' problem with an interim. Let Coach Bielema finish the season and then make the move. The players haven't quit at this point so the best approach is status quo. No major changes or improvements can be made this late in the season

Florida's intent was not to "fix" it's problem with an interim. They had decided they had gone as far as they could with McElwain and decided to go ahead with his termination then get started on the search for a new HC. It didn't matter how the team did under the interim HC because they wouldn't have done any better under McElwain. I applaud the Florida AD for having the intestinal fortitude to do the right thing.

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 09:55:34 am »

The problem is that most of the main HC targets will want to wait until all the chips have fallen across the country before they make a decision as to where they want to coach. I don't believe it's a first opening equals first choice option.

This.

The WORST thing you can do is fire the coach too early, and then the pressure mounts and mounts to get someone in place and you end up making the wrong hire. (See LSU.)

It is better to work back-channels and have the next person in place before you pull the trigger.

woodrow hog call

• Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2017, 09:59:29 am »

At the end of the day, you hope it is handled in the most positive manner possible.  Personally, I think that is him “resigning” in exchange for his buyout after the Missouri game.  If he won’t negotiate/resign, then fire him the day after Mizzou.  Of all possible scenarios that reflect best on us, those are the two best.  There is no reason proxy communication with a possible hire can’t already be underway.

^^^^^This exactly, no need to make it personal or try to humiliate CBB, too many fans are wanting a pound of flesh and showing what we won't tolerate type of firing.

But they aren't considering the fact that the next guy might be making his decision (partly) based on how CBB is treated on the way out.
It matters in how a coach is perceived and accepted at his next job. If people see that we are doing things that make it harder for this staff to find work again, they might be hesitant to come here.

texas tush hog

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2017, 10:01:35 am »

This.

The WORST thing you can do is fire the coach too early, and then the pressure mounts and mounts to get someone in place and you end up making the wrong hire. (See LSU.)

It is better to work back-channels and have the next person in place before you pull the trigger.

With the new December recruiting date you better have your stuff together by December 1st or get rolled over.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2017, 10:04:39 am »

This.

LSU's mistake wasn't firing Les too early, It was putting all of their eggs in one basket. Instead of broadening their search and considering other coaches as a backup plan in case their first choice didn't take the job, They "put all of their Eggs in one basket" and went full force after Hermann without having a backup plan. When Texas stole their "basket of Eggs" they were left with their faces hanging out and had no choice but to offer Orgeron the job. that why the LSU AD is currently walking on thin ice. If they have to can Orgeron, the AD is likely gone too.

jmark

• Hogvillian
  • "can i have my old job back?" "No!"
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2017, 10:05:50 am »

ad's always make notes of potential coaches. 

who is a search committee? probably sexton.

long likes CBB.  so do i.  he will not make a change, if he does, until after the fb season.  i think its best  to let the season play out.  if you let CBB go before the season is over you risk dividing the team. 

the GPA thing, i like.  CBB is to be commended for that administration accomplishment.  but in the end it comes down to fan support funding.  apparently, athletic grades won't fill the stadium seats.  its a shame.  but its what it is today.

my guess is CBB will find a landing and long will hire a new coach for the 2018 season. 

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2017, 10:07:22 am »

LSU's mistake wasn't firing Les too early, It was putting all of their eggs in one basket. Instead of broadening their search and considering other coaches as a backup plan in case their first choice didn't take the job, They "put all of their Eggs in one basket" and went full force after Hermann without having a backup plan. When Texas stole their "basket of Eggs" they were left with their faces hanging out and had no choice but to offer Orgeron the job. that why the LSU AD is currently walking on thin ice. If they have to can Orgeron, the AD is likely gone too.

Yes, like I said, it is better to have the person in place first. LSU's first two choices fell through rather quickly, and then they had to scramble to get coach O because the pressure kept mounting to "just get someone".

Before firing big boy, we need to have someone solid in place. (not announced yet, just solid through their agent or whoever)

Piggfoot

• Hog Table top cooker
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2017, 10:09:15 am »

There is no good time to replace your AD and Head coach but if it is to be done the time to do it is to replace Long after national signing day 2018. Bielema will remain a coach in 2018. Depending on his record in 2018 the new AD could then replace him after the regular season before December.

Fan1958

• Senior
  • The Little Red Hen was obviously a conservative.
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2017, 10:13:07 am »

Yes, but I don't see the hammer being dropped on JL unless he just gets so obtuse the BOT has no choice.   JL doesn't want to walk away from a $1M/year job, which I find amazing he makes that much for what his 'program' produces.

His 'program' produces very well.  He is the Athletics Director, not Football Director.  I won't go through all of the sports that have excelled at the highest level but the most recent is women's soccer playing in the SECCG.  Both men and women won the recent x country races. BB made the tourney.  Baseball doing very well.  Think the VB team may have even been ranked at one time.

BB needs to go but Long has performed well overall.

Marshfieldhog

• Hogville.net
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2017, 10:13:27 am »

I think it's best to fire him after LSU blows him out. That would fire up fans for the last 2 home games. Promote Enos or Rhodes or maybe even have Hatfield oversee the final 2 games. That would eliminate the boo birds which is sure to come out those last 2 games.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2017, 10:20:03 am »

Yes, like I said, it is better to have the person in place first. LSU's first two choices fell through rather quickly, and then they had to scramble to get coach O because the pressure kept mounting to "just get someone".

Before firing big boy, we need to have someone solid in place. (not announced yet, just solid through their agent or whoever)

LSU didn't have 2 choices before hiring Oregeron, they only had one and that was Hermann. No one else was considered because the LSU AD was ignorant enough to believe that there was no way that Hermann would turn them down. They were already planning the Grand Introduction Press Conference when he accepted the Texas job and left them in an embarrassing position. When doing a coaching search, a good AD always has plan B and Plan C ready in case plan A doesn't work out. LSU didn't and had to hire Orgeron by default.

It isn't necessary for the AD to have the new coach ready to go when he fires the current one early in the season, It's best to have a solid list of prospective HC's and have the next coach ready to go as soon as the last game of the season ends.

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2017, 10:25:11 am »

LSU didn't have 2 choices before hiring Oregeron, the only had one and that was Hermann. No one else was considered because the LSU AD was ignorant enough to believe that there was no way that Hermann would turn them down. They were already planning the Grand Introduction Press Conference when he accepted the Texas job and left them in an embarrassing position. When doing a coaching search, a good AD always has plan B and Plan C ready in case plan A doesn't work out. LSU didn't and had to hire Orgeron by default.

Their plan A & B (Herman and Fisher) both turned them down. There were rumors of others, but they were in a tough spot and had to get someone in.

Again, I will restate: having someone committed before pulling the trigger is key.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2017, 10:26:32 am »

His 'program' produces very well.  He is the Athletics Director, not Football Director.  I won't go through all of the sports that have excelled at the highest level but the most recent is women's soccer playing in the SECCG.  Both men and women won the recent x country races. BB made the tourney.  Baseball doing very well.  Think the VB team may have even been ranked at one time.

BB needs to go but Long has performed well overall.

No, Long needs to go too.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2017, 10:32:24 am »

Their plan A & B (Herman and Fisher) both turned them down. There were rumors of others, but they were in a tough spot and had to get someone in.

Again, I will restate: having someone committed before pulling the trigger is key.

They never seriously considered Fisher, that was just fans talking. He was never offered the job. Hermann was their sole target and that was incredibly stupid.

If an AD fires a coach at season's end, I agree that he better have the next coach locked up but if he fires the coach early, it isn't necessary to already have the next coach locked up. He just needs to have the next coach locked up by the end of the last regular season game.

Razorbackers

• Good Takes Found Here
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2017, 10:37:15 am »

You don't fire your coach while you're still in the hunt for a bowl game. If nothing else, Long has showed new coaches that Arkansas IS a place that a coach can win and IS a place that will support the coach through his tenure. Arkansas is a tough place to coach. You don't want to head to a place that is tough to recruit to, in a tough division, and also have an AD that will fire you during the season when there is still something to play for.

Had we lost to coastal, I don't think Bret would have a job this week. But we didn't, so here we are.

The next coach knows he'll be financially stable, and given every opportunity to succeed at Arkansas. You can come here and suck something fierce and get paid.

That's how you get someone to come here. You CAN win, we (the university and athletic department) WILL support you, and you WILL be given the time needed to showcase your abilities.

There's a reason Nebraska, LSU, and other schools that are objectionably better jobs made questionable hires. No one wants to work in a place where expectations are stupid high and the boss is trigger happy. It could ruin your career.

I'm ready for Bret to move on. I think Bret is ready to move on. But it's November 6th, and we could still make a bowl game, so we just have to let it play out. Look at how bad Florida looked without their HC. What did they gain by firing him like that? A potentially losing season and lost recruiting.

The Boar War

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2017, 10:53:12 am »

No, it wouldn't be disastrous. It would absolutely be the correct move to make although I doubt that the interim AD's tenure would be a whole year. Maybe more like 6 months if that. Either Ken Hatfield or Terry Don Phillips would do great as interim AD. One never knows, Terry Don might want stay on as AD. I really hope that the BOT has the intestinal fortitude and the brains to terminate Long when they meet Wednesday but I'm not confident they will make the move.

I would imagine most coaching candidates would want to know who their boss is going to be.

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2017, 10:53:16 am »

They never seriously considered Fisher, that was just fans talking. He was never offered the job.

Make no mistake, Fisher was offered the job. He just turned them down. If he had wanted to come, they would have opened the doors wide for him.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/21/lsu-reportedly-planning-aggressive-push-to-hire-jimbo-fisher/
http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_8e16d558-af81-11e6-8cc9-97c16bbd7e6b.html

....etc...

AP85

• SEC.....you'll float too......
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2017, 10:54:11 am »

New coach of the Arkansas Razorbacks.

Paul Rhoads.

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2017, 11:14:44 am »

New coach of the Arkansas Razorbacks.

Paul Rhoads.

Don't even play like that.

sevenof400

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2017, 02:40:01 pm »

You don't fire your coach while you're still in the hunt for a bowl game...

A few years ago - before there were 50 bowls - I might agree with you on this.  As it is today, going to a bowl is so common that about all of the value from attending a bowl is the extra practice time a team is allowed. 

As it is, Arkansas is not in a good situation IF there is a coaching change AND the number of openings increases.  This is why I believe they would be best served to move early and hire an up and coming coach before the number of high profile openings increases and once again causes coaching salaries to skyrocket.  If such a coach could be found, I have every confidence that as the coach proves himself, the salary paying ability at Arkansas could keep him here for some time.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2017, 02:50:04 pm »

Make no mistake, Fisher was offered the job. He just turned them down. If he had wanted to come, they would have opened the doors wide for him.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/21/lsu-reportedly-planning-aggressive-push-to-hire-jimbo-fisher/
http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_8e16d558-af81-11e6-8cc9-97c16bbd7e6b.html

....etc...

No where in those links does it say Fisher was offered the job. He was supposed to meet with LSU officials but that meeting didn't happen.

Razorbackers

• Good Takes Found Here
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2017, 03:18:39 pm »

A few years ago - before there were 50 bowls - I might agree with you on this.  As it is today, going to a bowl is so common that about all of the value from attending a bowl is the extra practice time a team is allowed. 

As it is, Arkansas is not in a good situation IF there is a coaching change AND the number of openings increases.  This is why I believe they would be best served to move early and hire an up and coming coach before the number of high profile openings increases and once again causes coaching salaries to skyrocket.  If such a coach could be found, I have every confidence that as the coach proves himself, the salary paying ability at Arkansas could keep him here for some time.

I agree there are too many bowls lol.

But your whole scenario is built on the idea that Arkansas can't currently have a coach, and also be conducting a coaching search.

AP85

• SEC.....you'll float too......
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2017, 03:20:13 pm »

Don't even play like that.

Long went after Grobe. A rhoads type coach.

Confidence level in Long finding a winner is low.

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2017, 03:24:33 pm »

No where in those links does it say Fisher was offered the job. He was supposed to meet with LSU officials but that meeting didn't happen.

Herman wasn't publicly offered the job either. That is not how these things are done.

No one is ever publicly offered a job until it is known they will accept. There is a back and forth behind closed doors to see if what the school is offering is sufficient to lure the coach.

If Fisher or Herman wanted to be the LSU coach, they would be the LSU coach right now. They were both offered the job through back channels. That is how these things work.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2017, 03:31:10 pm »

Herman wasn't publicly offered the job either. That is not how these things are done.

No one is ever publicly offered a job until it is known they will accept. There is a back and forth behind closed doors to see if what the school is offering is sufficient to lure the coach.

If Fisher or Herman wanted to be the LSU coach, they would be the LSU coach right now. They were both offered the job through back channels. That is how these things work.

Look, our best friends are HUGE LSU supporters that live in Lafayette, LA and I'm telling you the talk of considering Fisher was just a smoke screen. They were all in on Tom Herman and threw the bank at him. When he opted for Texas, LSU had no plan B and were forced to offer the job to Orgeron by default.

Pigsknuckles

• When you least expect it...
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2017, 03:31:56 pm »

Nothing happens until it is mathematically impossible to make a bowl game. If by some miracle we make a bowl, they won't send the team to play with a substitute coach again (ala Reggie Herring and the 2008 Cotton Bowl). Sit tight.

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2017, 03:33:23 pm »

Look, our best friends are HUGE LSU supporters that live in Lafayette, LA and I'm telling you the talk of considering Fisher was just a smoke screen. They were all in on Tom Herman and threw the bank at him. When he opted for Texas, LSU had no plan B and were forced to offer the job to Orgeron by default.

I know some people associated with the university too, and I respectfully disagree. I agree that they lost Herman, but they also made a play for Fisher before moving on to Coach O.

Not sure it really matters all that much though, the end result was the same.

hawgsalot

• Senior
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2017, 03:33:58 pm »

With the new December recruiting date you better have your stuff together by December 1st or get rolled over.

That's a major major problem and one that you give up a lot by firing a coach.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas