• 385,251 Topics
• 21,576 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: They Need to Let Him Go Today  (Read 2410 times)

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
They Need to Let Him Go Today
« on: November 05, 2017, 10:19:39 am »

There's no more point in waiting. Yesterday was a win, but it wasn't a victory. For those who said they didn't want to play ASU, they were right--ASU would kill this team right now. Arkansas nearly lost to a team that A-State blew out 51-17.

There's nothing more that Bielema can do here. The buyout doesn't drop again before the regular season is over. Can him now, and you're at least in the market fairly early. It also lets him get in the market.

There's no point in waiting. Everyone knows it's over, it's just a matter of time. Keeping him around is the functional equivalent if staying married for the kids. They need to pull his cork today.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
Re: They Need to Let Him Go Today
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 10:21:41 am »

You just want him gone because he beats your Landsharts....

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hoghearted

• 2007 and 2009 Rolex DP Champions. Are you driven?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 10:22:08 am »

There is nothing to be gained by not announcing he is done at the end of the season. If Long announced it, it would quiet the fan base and inspire some hope for the future.

He needs to do it sooner than later.

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 10:24:11 am »

You just want him gone because he beats your Landsharts....

Can you imagine how much worse his record would be without Ole Miss?  I'd argue that Ole Miss is the only thing keeping him in brownies right now.

Dark Helmet Hog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 10:24:26 am »

There's no more point in waiting. Yesterday was a win, but it wasn't a victory. For those who said they didn't want to play ASU, they were right--ASU would kill this team right now. Arkansas nearly lost to a team that A-State blew out 51-17.

There's nothing more that Bielema can do here. The buyout doesn't drop again before the regular season is over. Can him now, and you're at least in the market fairly early. It also lets him get in the market.

There's no point in waiting. Everyone knows it's over, it's just a matter of time. Keeping him around is the functional equivalent if staying married for the kids. They need to pull his cork today.

Too much sense.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 10:24:42 am »

Can you imagine how much worse his record would be without Ole Miss?  I'd argue that Ole Miss is the only thing keeping him in brownies right now.

Thus, my point, haha.

rzrbackramsfan

• "Winners never quit, quitters never win"
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 10:25:26 am »

Agree, I was all for letting him finish the year before CC, now he should be fired, things are tailspinning quick.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 10:29:30 am »

One would think Long would want to get all this negative spin under control as soon as possible. Continuing a tailspin can't be good for anyone.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 10:30:35 am »

I would suggest that if Bielema is actually already gone at the end of the season, the word among select Agents is already out. Eventually it will filter back to us. Long won't do it during the season because that doesn't set a positive precedent for any potential future HC's. Long will probably allow Bielema to resign on his own. And that too will eventually be leaked. Long can look like he made his decision before the end of the season (which would probably be true) so he looks like a strong enough AD to get the dirty job done, yet compassionate enough to treat a HC with respect publicly.

That's just my opinion of how this will be handled.

The Pulse

• Senior
  • Da Hogs!
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 10:31:43 am »

He need to be gone today.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 10:54:52 am by The Pulse »

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 10:32:43 am »

One would think Long would want to get all this negative spin under control as soon as possible. Continuing a tailspin can't be good for anyone.

It's good for Jeff Long.

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 10:33:23 am »

I would suggest that if Bielema is actually already gone at the end of the season, the word among select Agents is already out. Eventually it will filter back to us. Long won't do it during the season because that doesn't set a positive precedent for any potential future HC's. Long will probably allow Bielema to resign on his own. And that too will eventually be leaked. Long can look like he made his decision before the end of the season (which would probably be true) so he looks like a strong enough AD to get the dirty job done, yet compassionate enough to treat a HC with respect publicly.

Golf claps to you.

oldhawg

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 10:35:05 am »

And the appropriate way to handle it IMO.

HoggyCat

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 10:40:25 am »

There's a reason LONG hasn't fired him...

HoggyCat

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 10:42:02 am »

BS.  If a coach is worried about being fired in the middle of a season, then he doubts himself. And we don't need that.

theFlyingHog

• The hottie comes back when CMN is head Hog!
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 10:43:22 am »

Firing him today does no good. Look at Florida.

toxichog

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 10:44:14 am »

Waiting three weeks will not hurt in hiring the next coach at all.......and firing a college coach in the middle of a season does not make your program look good.  You don't have to wait three weeks to start back channel conversations to gauge a candidates interest ( or not ).  That way you are not starting from scratch or behind the competition in hiring a coach. 
There is nothing to be gained from parting ways today instead of at seasons end........
Florida may have been a little different........as the Coach exhibited some bizarre behavior and made crazy statements, which allowed them to save some buyout money. 

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2017, 10:47:35 am »

BS.  If a coach is worried about being fired in the middle of a season, then he doubts himself. And we don't need that.

You either meant to quote someone else or completely misunderstood what I posted.

solitons

• Senior
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2017, 12:52:18 pm »

fire him at the end of season, CBB would have 3 more losses on his resume.

phadedhawg

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2017, 12:56:45 pm »

Firing the coach today vs tomorrow or next month makes little difference to me.  This season is over for us we are just playing out the side.

buldozer

• Senior
  • Lets Call Those Hogs!
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2017, 01:02:20 pm »

Sometimes you just have to rip the bandaid off and this is one of those times. Negotiate a settlement with him and let both parties get on with their futures now!

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2017, 01:09:21 pm »

I would have no issue with a buyout agreement being made today and Rhoads becoming interim.  The reason I suggest Rhoads is our D is not good and there is no chance he would be considered the next replacement.  He is an emotional coach who the players like and may would play hard for the last 3 games.  It is time to part ways. 

porkrindjimmy

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2017, 01:12:27 pm »

He doesn't care. He thinks Bret will pull up on the controls....just like he thought Pelphrey would.

Judy had to be forced to fire Pelphrey...and then had to be forced to hire Mike. He isn't gonna show Bret the door by himself. Ain't gonna happen.

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2017, 01:13:06 pm »

Sometimes you just have to rip the bandaid off and this is one of those times. Negotiate a settlement with him and let both parties get on with their futures now!

And lay down and have a good bleed.....

PRJ

farmhawg

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2017, 01:13:10 pm »

It's good for Jeff Long.
That is all it’s about, Jeff Long. He doesn’t give a crap about this program.

hogz11

• WPS
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2017, 01:13:25 pm »

Agreed NSR

EulessHog

• Senior
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2017, 03:51:32 pm »

That is all it’s about, Jeff Long. He doesn’t give a crap about this program.

It is about Jeffie and Bert... sitting in a tree...

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2017, 07:05:07 pm »

He need to be gone today.

Empty seats gets results!

lakecityhog

• Senior
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2017, 07:18:59 pm »

I honestly don't know the correct way to handle this, but I do believe that JL remaining silent is causing damage to both the fan base and the coaching staff. I also know that his continued references to "win-at-all-cost" programs and "doing-things-the-right-way" gives fans the idea that he is happy with the situation.

If he truly is satisfied with BB and the BOT has to step in things will get really ugly and the University doesn't need that. His integrity campaign will reflect badly on the University if he is basically forced out over BB. Regardless of what he thinks it would also damage him in the long run. Not very many schools would consider hiring an AD that is comfortable with a 40% win rate.

I do believe that the way that this whole situation is handled by JL will tell the tale of his career. Surely he is smart enough to get out in front of this fiasco if for no other reason than self preservation!

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2017, 07:21:40 pm »

I honestly don't know the correct way to handle this, but I do believe that JL remaining silent is causing damage to both the fan base and the coaching staff. I also know that his continued references to "win-at-all-cost" programs and "doing-things-the-right-way" gives fans the idea that he is happy with the situation.

If he truly is satisfied with BB and the BOT has to step in things will get really ugly and the University doesn't need that. His integrity campaign will reflect badly on the University if he is basically forced out over BB. Regardless of what he thinks it would also damage him in the long run. Not very many schools would consider hiring an AD that is comfortable with a 40% win rate.

I do believe that the way that this whole situation is handled by JL will tell the tale of his career. Surely he is smart enough to get out in front of this fiasco if for no other reason than self preservation!

The BOT isn't going to "step in", that isn't how the chain of command works.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2017, 07:26:29 pm »

Agree, I was all for letting him finish the year before CC, now he should be fired, things are tailspinning quick.

Same Here. It's time.

lakecityhog

• Senior
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2017, 07:32:57 pm »

Rice, are you saying that keeping BB is solely JL's decision? If we wind up 4-8, which is a very real possibility, and JL decides that injuries played a large enough role to convince himself to keep BB thru 2018 that the BOT will sign off on it?

I always kinda thought that those higher up "in-the-chain-of-command" were there to make sure that those below them were handling their job correctly and to maybe provide "some assistance" when required????

If you are indeed correct, we are truly screwed! BB will be back next year and with that schedule win maybe 7 games and we are truly reliving HDN II!!!!!

STLhawg

• Varsity
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2017, 07:42:22 pm »

It also lets him get in the market.
I don't think Arkansas getting in the market early really gets them anything.  Florida only did so because their coach gave them a reason to fire him with cause and avoid the buyout (but the instead used it to leverage a much lower figure to make the split amicable).  Now if BB wants to leave early and agrees to a lower buyout then by all means let him go early!  Otherwise make him finish the year because you paying him to do that either way.

hotdog hog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2017, 07:50:44 pm »

There's a reason LONG hasn't fired him...
You are correct! He hasn't been mathematically eliminated from a bowl yet! I believe he will be, but I think he's giving him that 6-6 lifeline.

Athog

• Hogville.net
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2017, 07:56:36 pm »

Sounds like a stupid plan and giant overreaction! I am not saying keep him but pulling the trigger now would be stupid.

Hawgzinbowlz

• Hog Spirit
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2017, 08:26:54 pm »

JL needs to work out a negotiated settlement and avoid the drama which would surround the firing of CBB before the season ends.

CBB is NOT a fit at Arkansas...Along with his preconceived notions of what will, and won't, work in the SEC.

He doesn't get it and is getting paid very well for on the job training.

Negotiate a parting of ways JL.

" GO HOGS "

HoggieStyle

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2017, 08:37:07 pm »

He's still here? Hm......

okrazorback

• Band Nerd
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2017, 08:53:09 pm »

They need to let him go and hire Gus. I do not say Gus is the best. but I think he is better than anyone that has been mentioned here except Steve Spurrier and I don't think we can get him. Fire him now.

Hoggish1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2017, 08:54:43 pm »

There's no more point in waiting.

The point in waiting is to play out the last three games while moves behind the scenes are made that benefit all parties.  Obviously you can't see that.  You want to FIRE somebody, but that's often not necessary.

moses_007

• Look at what came out of the woods
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2017, 08:58:22 pm »

He does need gone right now.  That would give us a jump start on A&M and Tennessee at the very least.

Hoggish1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2017, 09:03:27 pm »

He does need gone right now.  That would give us a jump start on A&M and Tennessee at the very least.

No it wouldn't.  No coach is going to take a job while his team is still playing.  His agent may make the deal but it is behind the scenes and agreed to without an announcement while the season is still playing out.

Deals are done but announcements wait till the last second has ticked off of the regular season.  This is football 101.

hawg1221

• Senior
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2017, 09:06:14 pm »

I do wonder if CBB's status when coming to the UA will have a big effect on getting rid of him. Will he get another year, let him resign, or actually fire him. I would say if he was a no name coach coming in here, it would make JL's job easier. Just wondering. 

grayhawg

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2017, 09:11:02 pm »

I do wonder if CBB's status when coming to the UA will have a big effect on getting rid of him. Will he get another year, let him resign, or actually fire him. I would say if he was a no name coach coming in here, it would make JL's job easier. Just wondering. 
He will probably resign with golden handcuffs like HDN. ;)

okrazorback

• Band Nerd
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2017, 09:18:11 pm »

Like Houston Nutt. Nutt is a better coach than Brett

grayhawg

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2017, 09:19:56 pm »

Like Houston Nutt. Nutt is a better coach than Brett
But not a better person.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2017, 09:23:50 pm »

He doesn't care. He thinks Bret will pull up on the controls....just like he thought Pelphrey would.

Judy had to be forced to fire Pelphrey...and then had to be forced to hire Mike. He isn't gonna show Bret the door by himself. Ain't gonna happen.

PRJ
I agree PRJ. The bro love is just too strong with those two.

sigpooie

• Senior
  • I was at the 65 cotton bowl
    • Hear my baby girl sing songs she wrote
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2017, 09:28:48 pm »

Long needs to go first. Period
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas