• 385,453 Topics
• 21,594 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Ranking SEC Coaching Positions  (Read 1386 times)

WoooPigNation

• Bench Warmer
Power Ranking SEC Coaching Positions
« on: November 02, 2017, 04:03:45 pm »

1.   Alabama: not even close.  Bama has 16 national titles and 7 SEC championships.  Gotta think Bible-Thumper Swinney is the heir apparent. They can spend as much as they want on a coach. 

2.   Florida: has 3 national titles, 8 SEC championship, and 3 Heisman winners.  Have to think they are the number one landing spot for coaching vacancies.

3.   Georgia: has won “5” national championships, but 3 came before 1947.  Dawgs have also won 2 SEC championships.  Now that they got Richt out of town and he’s leading a revival in Miami, have to think they are paying recruits, no two ways about it.

4.   LSU: which really makes you wonder why they hired a high school PE teacher to be their head coach.

5.   Tennessee: Have been very mediocre since 2000, and a complete dumpster fire since Fulmer left town. Derek Dooley wasn’t qualified to be the equipment manager and Butch Jones believes in “life championships” and “leadership reps”. 

6.   Texas A&M: really, what did Texas A&M ever do before Johnny Football?  They think they’re a 10 win a year team that really is more like an 8 win team, but what Texas A&M does have is money, and when I say money, I mean a stuff ton of money.  Show Sumlin the door and back the Brinks truck up to a big name and make him say no.

7.   Arkansas: won the national title in ’64 but no SEC championships.  We have deep pockets here and are the only show in town.  Facilities are amazing and the north endzone project is going to be second to none.  We need to get the check book out and offer someone close to $5 million.  Tired of mediocrity.  Really would like to show pretty boy Long the door.

8.   Auburn: has recently won a national title and has won multiple SEC championships.  Cam Newton was the best $200,000 the Auburn athletic department has ever spent.  Once again, a school who can’t hire a head coach.  Gene Chizik had a losing record at Iowa State and Malzhan is clearly overrated.

9.   Mizzou: might surprise some people but Mizzou is a good job.  Two SEC championship appearance, two major cities less than two hours away, and a ton of money.  They are making facility upgrades and I think once they fire the janitor who fell ass backwards into the job, they could throw some real money around.  Still a bunch of hippy, liberal, snowflakes who staged a fake protest.

10.   Ole Miss: have won a national title but haven’t really been relevant since Eli Manning was there.  Small state, with no big city or real big bucks.  They are more concerned with the grove than what’s on the field.

11.   Kentucky: it’s a basketball school.  The coach doesn’t answer to the AD, the coach answers to mobster turned coach, Calipari.  Stoops doesn’t swing any you know what.  UK can never pay any real money because they have to over pay for Calipari.

12.   South Carolina: the only reason USC was ever relevant was because Steve Spurrier says ridiculous things.  Never won a big bowl game and they play second fiddle to Clemson.  Columbia, South Carolina is probably the worst college town and game day experience.  Muschamp isn’t going to do a damn thing there.

13.   Vandy: won’t ever do anything because of academic requirements, but Nashville is a nice place.  The school as a ton of money to throw around but they would probably rather spend it on stuff like “books” or “adding on to the library.”  Skip Bayless went to Vandy so I think the academics might be a little overrated.

14.   Mississippi State: I have two words to say: Starkville. Mississippi.  It’s the little brother of Ole Miss in a state of 3 million people.  State is a 3 who is dating an 8.5 (Mullen).  Usually when that happens it means the person who is dating out of their league is super rich, but State is anything but rich.  The most famous State alumi is John Grisham.  Yea, the guy who writes books.  State offered Cam $200,000 to play there and he said no.  I don’t blame him.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
Re: Power Ranking SEC Coaching Positions
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 04:08:59 pm »

Auburn is a better job that Arkansas. Don't be silly. Switch those two and you aren't far off.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

WoooPigNation

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 04:11:11 pm »

Auburn is a better job that Arkansas. Don't be silly. Switch those two and you aren't far off.

I struggled with that one but I think if push came to shove, Arkansas could raise more money and you'r not always overshadowed by big brother in Tuscaloosa.

ipigsooie

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 04:26:49 pm »

Grisham did his undergrad at msu but his law degree is from ole miss. That trumps msu to push them further in the gutter.  Also agree that auburn would be in front of us. Otherwise pretty spot on.

Poker_hog

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 04:27:06 pm »

I struggled with that one but I think if push came to shove, Arkansas could raise more money and you'r not always overshadowed by big brother in Tuscaloosa.

Auburn is a better football program.  Maybe not a better destination for a coach.  It's not a good enough program to avoid down and rebuilding years that are poorly tolerated by the fan base. 

WalHog2018

• Varsity
  • Clint Stoerner shook my hand once
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 04:29:23 pm »

Arkansas could be higher on this if we become a win at all cost program. Until then, we should move down in the list.  Jeff Long and his staff need to understand what it takes to win at all costs.

WalHog2018

• Varsity
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 04:31:59 pm »

Right now, we should be only ahead of Vandy because we aren't a win at all costs program. Everyone else is.

WoooPigNation

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 04:32:50 pm »

Right now, we should be only ahead of Vandy because we aren't a win at all costs program. Everyone else is.

Define "win at all cost"

WalHog2018

• Varsity
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 04:37:52 pm »

Firing Bret.
Firing Jeff.
Understanding recruiting.
Getting rid of the PC bros in the athletic department.
Becoming a tough program mentally.
Fundraising and spending money.
Not accepting 8-5.
Not accepting 7-6.
Not accepting anything less than a Natty or SEC Title.
We have the resources. USE THEM.

al_pigcino

• Varsity
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 04:44:44 pm »

Only in Arkansas would someone blame Long for the football team not having a national championship.
https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/08/17/athletic-director-rankings-joe-castiglione-kevin-white

jabberjawls

• Senior
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 04:55:33 pm »

The fact that Auburn will fire a coach that is not winning and we have to dangle a guaranteed 6 year contract is pretty good proof of the answer that you are looking for.

jabberjawls

• Senior
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 04:56:40 pm »

Only in Arkansas would someone blame Long for the football team not having a national championship.
https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/08/17/athletic-director-rankings-joe-castiglione-kevin-white

Is that because Long is not the AD of another school?  If you don't believe that the AD gets blamed for all kinds of stuff at other schools, then you haven't done your research.

WalHog2018

• Varsity
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 04:59:39 pm »

Lazy argument. Using someone else's words to defend a man who has done nothing to make this program win. Even though the link you provided clearly proves my point: "The blemish for Long is an obvious one: Arkansas hasn’t won really big in football or men’s basketball."   Thanks for playing. Hogs are a bottom tier, PC, program under Long. Coach Broyles would be losing his mind right now.

Tigaman

• Varsity
  • Beware of the Hog
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 05:07:25 pm »

Is that because Long is not the AD of another school?  If you don't believe that the AD gets blamed for all kinds of stuff at other schools, then you haven't done your research.

Yep. Tennessee wants to fire their AD for not firing Jones yet despite him being there less than a year and having nothing to do with his the hire in the first place.

247Hog

• Varsity
  • Regular Sized Rudy Calling the Hogs
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 05:23:17 pm »

Tennessee is a joke right now.

If LSU was that great of a place for a coach, it wouldn't have had to settle for Coach O.

Locutus_of_Boar

• Senior
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 05:56:18 pm »

1.   Alabama: not even close --- but only till Saban retores.  Bama with the right coach is a solid pick for #1 but spent a quarter century mostly wandering in the wilderness between Bear and Saban and was spotty before Bear.  All powerful or lower mediocre and little in between. 

2.   Florida: --- Best recruiting advantages but tends to underperform over the long haul.

3.   Georgia: Should be able to pretty much duplicate Bama with the right coach but is slow making coaching changes.

4.   LSU: Florida lite regularly hamstrung by poor coaching.

5.  Auburn:  Benefitted and cursed by being in Bama's shadow.  Get's disproportionate attention to its level of performance.

6A&B.   Tennessee:   Texas A&M East.  Texas A&M: Tennessee West.  Lots of distant thunder but little close in lightning.

8A.   Arkansas: Forever stuck in the middle rarely truly successful or a total failure.

8B.  Ole Miss:  Arkansas with a little older history.

8C.  South Carolina:  Arkansas with a less colorful history.

11. Mississippi State:  Over their natural level a bit right now due to coaching.

12.  Mizzou:  Will pull into a tie with MSU over the long haul.

13.  Kentucky:  A Mountain West football program in a basketball state.

14.   Vandy:  Playing a different game for different reasons than the rest.

hog911

• Senior
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 07:12:50 pm »

Firing Bret.
Firing Jeff.
Not accepting 8-5.
Not accepting 7-6.
AMEN!!!!

ipigsooie

• Senior
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 07:20:29 pm »

1.   Alabama: not even close --- but only till Saban retores.  Bama with the right coach is a solid pick for #1 but spent a quarter century mostly wandering in the wilderness between Bear and Saban and was spotty before Bear.  All powerful or lower mediocre and little in between. 

2.   Florida: --- Best recruiting advantages but tends to underperform over the long haul.

3.   Georgia: Should be able to pretty much duplicate Bama with the right coach but is slow making coaching changes.

4.   LSU: Florida lite regularly hamstrung by poor coaching.

5.  Auburn:  Benefitted and cursed by being in Bama's shadow.  Get's disproportionate attention to its level of performance.

6A&B.   Tennessee:   Texas A&M East.  Texas A&M: Tennessee West.  Lots of distant thunder but little close in lightning.

8A.   Arkansas: Forever stuck in the middle rarely truly successful or a total failure.

8B.  Ole Miss:  Arkansas with a little older history.

8C.  South Carolina:  Arkansas with a less colorful history.

11. Mississippi State:  Over their natural level a bit right now due to coaching.

12.  Mizzou:  Will pull into a tie with MSU over the long haul.

13.  Kentucky:  A Mountain West football program in a basketball state.

14.   Vandy:  Playing a different game for different reasons than the rest.

I have to agree. I think Florida is the best job in the sec Nick saban aside. They have so many advantages. If they get a big time coach they will be the next Alabama owning the sec.

JaketheSnake

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 07:33:20 pm »

Firing Bret.
Firing Jeff.
Not accepting 8-5.
Not accepting 7-6.
So we are better if we accept nothing besides winning the BcSNCG and SEC title game.  Never won one of those and only won the other once.  We are going to go through a lot of coaches like that.

fakenews

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 07:35:52 pm »

Arkansas isn't better than Auburn and I have trouble putting Mississippi State last but mostly it is good

al_pigcino

• Varsity
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2017, 08:08:19 am »

Lazy argument. Using someone else's words to defend a man who has done nothing to make this program win. Even though the link you provided clearly proves my point: "The blemish for Long is an obvious one: Arkansas hasn’t won really big in football or men’s basketball."   Thanks for playing. Hogs are a bottom tier, PC, program under Long. Coach Broyles would be losing his mind right now.
By "this program" do you mean football?  I mean......last I looked we were pretty good in other sports.  That's the AD's job.  The AD's job at Arkansas isn't to make sure we have a 10 win season in football.  It's nice to have, but his job in reality is to generate revenue.  That can be done by replacing the head coach every 4 years.  As long as there is optimism he can sell suites.  Just because HV thinks the football team is bad doesn't mean you fire the AD.  Can't see the forest for the trees.........

BearsBisonsBoars

• Senior
  • Arguing with computers for a living
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2017, 08:30:57 am »

Tennessee is a joke right now.

If LSU was that great of a place for a coach, it wouldn't have had to settle for Coach O.

They bet the farm on being able to stand toe to toe with Texas and lost. Then they had no backup plan. Alleva is easily the worst AD in the SEC.

The Kig

• Hogville Heroes
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 08:42:39 am »

Not sure whether you are trying to make this a historical list or a current list... either way, I don't agree with the ranking.  Not sure how you can put us ahead of programs that we can't seem to beat.

Unfortunately, Arkansas is somewhere in the bottom 1/3 of the SEC right now.  Our shared '64 Championship doesn't resonate with ANYONE outside of the state and is most certainly not a selling point to recruits.  Long doesn't need to go anywhere in order to move us into the top 1/3, but Bert definitely does. 

Razor1997

• Senior
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 08:52:47 am »

Arkansas isn't better than Auburn and I have trouble putting Mississippi State last but mostly it is good

Miss State was completely irrelevant for almost all of its history before Mullen got there.

Razorfox

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2017, 08:57:21 am »

1.   Alabama: What you said. 

2.   Florida: What you said.

3.   Georgia: What you said.

4.   LSU: What you said.

5.   Tennessee: What you said.

6.   Auburn: I don't know why you put them so low.  I don't think it matters that they are in the same state as Bama.  That's actually a good thing in some ways for them and creates an attraction for potential players and keeps the fan base in a frenzy. 

7.   Texas A&M: Sort of what you said, but the only thing that they don't have is a great winning tradition going back decades.  Everything else they have on par with Georgia or LSU. 

8.   Arkansas: What you said except I don't necessarily have the same great desire to get rid of Long. 

9.   South Carolina: I see them as very similar to us just with a less winning tradition going WAY back in time.  The reality is their more recent history, which kids care more about than what happened in 1964, is as good or better than ours. 

10.   Ole Miss: Some of what you said is true, but they are still in the heart of the SEC and have decent talent to choose from in their own state. 

11.   Mizzou: Pretty much what you said; they are hampered by in-state talent and geographical proximity to talent like we are.

12.   Mississippi State: Never been to Starkville, but I can imagine what it's like.  Unfortunately, just like Ole Miss, they are in the middle of the SEC and there will always be kids that want to stay in-state and they MS has a decent amount of them. 

13.   Kentucky: What you said.

14.   Vandy: Probably won't even really overcome the stigma they have because the rest of the SEC is just too powerful and set for that to happen. 

BR

• Chaos, panic, & disorder -- my work here is done.
    • BR's Home Page
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2017, 09:23:34 am »

Might be Hard to think we are an Elite Football destination for Coaches when you look at it realistically...  Yes we pay awesome, but so does all but 2 schools in SEC..      Big name schools with openings this fall, it is going to be an unreal coaching search: Florida,  Ole Miss, Oregon State, Tenn, Nebraska,  UTEP looking.  Maybe UCLA, Illinois, Missouri, A*M,  Arkansas & Kansas : K-State could be also

1.   Alabama: Going to a Bowl This Year

2.   Florida: 3-4 right now, Randy Shannon interm.. Could get 3 more wins maybe.  Mizzou, SC, UAB, Florida State & makeup -vs- Northern Colorado if needed to get to 6 wins.  Already Looking for a New Coach

3.   Georgia: Going to a Bowl This Year

4.   LSU: Going to a Bowl This Year

5.  Auburn:  Going to a Bowl This Year

6 Texas A&M  Going to a Bowl This Year

7: Tennessee   3-5, going to be REAL HARD to get 3 more wins. Southern Miss, Mizzou, LSU, Vandy

8.  South Carolina:  Going to a Bowl This Year

9. Mississippi State:  Going to a Bowl This Year

10.   Arkansas: 3-5, don't see a Bowl for 2017 season

11.  Ole Miss:  3-5, Interm Coach, don't see a bowl for this year, Already looking for New Coach.

12.  Mizzou:  3-5, Has a shot to get to 6 wins...  Arkansas game could mean a ton to them.  Florida, Tenn, Vandy & HOGS ..They go to a bowl, I think Odom will be back...

13.  Kentucky: 6-2  Going to a Bowl This Year   Miss, Vandy, UGA, Louisville    might could go 9-3

14.   Vandy:  3-5, schedule could work out.. Outside shot at a bowl    WKU, Kentucky, Mizzou, Tenn

Michael D Huff AIA

• Senior
  • Calling the Hogs since 1974.
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2017, 09:30:13 am »

Based on conference wins since A/M and MO showed up. (2012 season)

1.  Alabama     42
2.  Georgia       32
3.  Florida        30
4.  LSU            28
5.  Texas A/M   24
6.  Miss. St.      23
    South Car.
8.  Auburn       22
9.  Ole Miss      20
10. Missouri     19
11. Tennessee  15
12. Vanderbilt  14
13. Arkansas   13
14. Kentucky   11

WalHog2018

• Varsity
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2017, 09:44:58 am »

By "this program" do you mean football?  I mean......last I looked we were pretty good in other sports.  That's the AD's job.  The AD's job at Arkansas isn't to make sure we have a 10 win season in football.  It's nice to have, but his job in reality is to generate revenue.  That can be done by replacing the head coach every 4 years.  As long as there is optimism he can sell suites.  Just because HV thinks the football team is bad doesn't mean you fire the AD.  Can't see the forest for the trees.........

Oh cool. Does anyone care about other sports other than football and basketball? Football is the only team that makes money, which is all that matters. Basketball breaks even in a good year.  Child Please.

al_pigcino

• Varsity
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2017, 09:50:40 am »

Oh cool. Does anyone care about other sports other than football and basketball? Football is the only team that makes money, which is all that matters. Basketball breaks even in a good year.  Child Please.
So you're saying the football team doesn't make money?  Again you're blinded by YOUR opinion.  As far as the rest of the country we have a top notch AD.  But Arkansas fans are notorious for always assuming we have the next person lined up that brings us where we feel we should be, not where we actually are.  The next QB is the QB of the future.  The next coach gets us to 10 wins.  The next AD hires the coach that everyone wants. 

Reality is Long is generating revenue still with football and has a basketball team winning 20+ games, a baseball team going to the CWS, and a track team that is brought back to prominence.  Long's job > your opinion.

WoooPigNation

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2017, 09:54:22 am »

1.  Alabama     42
2.  Georgia       32
3.  Florida        30
4.  LSU            28
5.  Texas A/M   24
6.  Miss. St.      23
    South Car.
8.  Auburn       22
9.  Ole Miss      20
10. Missouri     19
11. Tennessee  15
12. Vanderbilt  14
13. Arkansas   13
14. Kentucky   11

D@mn, that might be one of the most discouraging statistics I have seen in a long time.

Maybe I am in the minority on this but who in the hell would not fire this? The Arkansas Pom Squad could win 13 games in five plus seasons.  I think the issues with the program extend past the coaches on the sideline.  I have been criticized a lot on here but I have been consistent: the AD is the real problem.

Head coach from Wisconsin, O-coordinator from Western Michigan/Michigan State, D-coordinator from Iowa State.  Bunch of yankees who just don't know how to get it done in the South.

BR

• BR's Home Page
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2017, 09:55:50 am »

I'm pretty sure the Hogs Baseball Team makes money..

HOGS82

• Bench Warmer
  • Arkansas Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2017, 09:58:35 am »

1.  Alabama     42
2.  Georgia       32
3.  Florida        30
4.  LSU            28
5.  Texas A/M   24
6.  Miss. St.      23
    South Car.
8.  Auburn       22
9.  Ole Miss      20
10. Missouri     19
11. Tennessee  15
12. Vanderbilt  14
13. Arkansas   13
14. Kentucky   11

Interesting.

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2017, 09:59:05 am »

Regarding Mississippi State:

In Starkville 34.79% of the population is African American.

In Fayetteville 6.19% of the population is African American.

When we wonder what is going on in Starkville do we sometimes overlook the obvious?  Like the kind of town a young, black man is looking for to spend 4 or 5 years?

WoooPigNation

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2017, 09:59:50 am »

I'm pretty sure the Hogs Baseball Team makes money..

Yea, the baseball team is really bringing it in hand over fist.

WoooPigNation

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2017, 10:03:44 am »

Regarding Mississippi State:

In Starkville 34.79% of the population is African American.

In Fayetteville 6.19% of the population is African American.

When we wonder what is going on in Starkville do we sometimes overlook the obvious?  Like the kind of town a young, black man is looking for to spend 4 or 5 years?

I think the fact that record attendance at State is 62,945 and the record attendance at DWR is over 76,000.

BR

• BR's Home Page
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2017, 10:05:01 am »

A dollar after expenses made is still Profit.

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2017, 10:07:22 am »

I think the fact that record attendance at State is 62,945 and the record attendance at DWR is over 76,000.
You really believe that is the determining factor for a high school recruit?

WoooPigNation

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2017, 10:10:13 am »

You really believe that is the determining factor for a high school recruit?

I think they would rather play in front of bigger crowds, train at nicer facilities, and play for coaches they like rather than calculate the racial breakdown.  Is it a factor? Maybe.  I think geographical location, facilities, crowds and coaches came way before that though. Just my opinion.

Razor1997

• Senior
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2017, 10:39:30 am »

Arkansas is a great destination for a coach.

At Florida, you'll get better recruits, but you'll get fired after two straight division championships if you start slow in the third year.  At Arkansas, you'll probably make more money than at Florida to start with, and you can go 7-6 and you'll get an extension and a raise and a huge buyout.  Beat Alabama just once and we'll probably build statues of you.

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2017, 10:49:03 am »

What is considered athletic "profit" has a lot to do with how costs and revenues are allocated.

Hogwild

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2017, 10:51:36 am »

a non-bias perspective from CBS Sports over the summer

SEC JOB RANKINGS

1    ALABAMA
This didn't require a lot of thought on my part. I will say that the gap between this job and others in the conference isn't as large as you might think initially, and that's due in large part to what Nick Saban has done here. Even so, when you combine everything Alabama has accomplished and can continue to do in the future, it's the best job in the conference. It also has the best coach in the conference, and when you put those two things together, that's how dynasties happen.

2   LSU
There are some budget concerns at LSU right now, but overall I just believe this job has so much to offer. Yes, you're going to have to compete with Alabama on a yearly basis, but you're also the flagship school in a state loaded with high school talent. You also have one of the most passionate fan bases in the country, and you can win national titles at LSU if you know what you're doing. There aren't many jobs across the country that can say that.

3   GEORGIA
Based on a Twitter poll I ran earlier this week, I know that a lot of readers will disagree with this ranking, and I understand why. What I want you to understand is that, even if the success hasn't been to the level people at Georgia want, this is a terrific job. In fact, you can make the argument that it's one of the five best jobs in the country. Even in a state with professional sports teams, I believe only the Atlanta Braves can even be considered a competitor with the Dawgs when it comes to popularity within the state. Georgia football rules the state, and it's located in one of the most talent-rich states in the entire country. Yes, every SEC team tries to recruit in Georgia, as do some ACC teams, but most of the kids in the state are growing up with that G logo on their clothes. I honestly believe that if Georgia finds the right coach, this program could be a powerhouse.

4   FLORIDA
Florida fans are the ones who will disagree with Georgia being No. 3 more than anybody, and I understand the thought process. Florida is a fantastic job. It's one of the top 10 jobs in the country; it's just that it's in a conference with other great gigs too. Both Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer have shown us what the ceiling is in Gainesville. Also, if it's of any consolation, I would consider Florida to be closer to Alabama in these rankings than any of the jobs I have ranked below it. The biggest reason I have Florida below Georgia is its location. Yes, it's in Florida, and there is a high level of talent within the state. It's just that Florida must compete within the state with two other Power Five schools (Florida State and Miami) as well as schools like UCF and USF. Oh, and also every other school in the southeast, as well as the Big Ten and just about everybody else honestly. While Georgia is recruited heavily as well, the gap between Georgia and Georgia Tech is far greater than Florida and FSU or Miami.

5   AUBURN
This is where things get more complicated. There's such a division between the top four teams and this second-tier of schools. I would say that the schools between Nos. 5-7 are interchangeable based on your preferences, and I've chosen to put Auburn at the top of this tier. The reason for this is simple: Even though it has to compete with Alabama within its state, Auburn's still had plenty of success. There was the national title in 2010, an appearance in the BCS Championship Game in 2013, and let's not forget a 13-0 season in 2004 that did not end with a chance at the national title. All three of those seasons came under different coaches. You can win here, even if you have to do it in the shadow of Alabama.

6   TENNESSEE
There are valid arguments for having Tennessee ranked No. 5 here. First of all, Tennessee is in the SEC East, which is an easier place to dwell than the SEC West right now. Of course, you still have to play Alabama every season, and things are cyclical, so you can't rely on the East being "easier" forever. Another advantage is that Tennessee is the flagship school within the state. It has a huge fan base and a passionate one at that. Vols football is the most popular sport in the state, and I don't see the Tennessee Titans, Nashville Predators or anybody else toppling it anytime soon. Where problems arise is in the area of recruiting. Unlike so many of its SEC counterparts, Tennessee isn't located in a fertile recruiting ground. There's talent within the state, sure, but not to the level we see in the states to the south.

7    TEXAS A&M
Again, if you want to put Texas A&M at No. 5 ahead of either Tennessee or Auburn, I get it. There's a lot to like here. While there are plenty of other FBS schools in Texas, the Aggies are the only SEC school, and that has an appeal to the many recruits in The Lone Star State. It's also a school that's crazy for football and has put plenty of money into the program. What causes me to hesitate a bit, though, is that as many advantages as A&M has, there isn't a whole lot of success to go with it. The Aggies haven't won a national title since 1939 and only won one conference title since the formation of the Big 12 in 1994. Hell, they only won three divisional titles in that time.

8   OLE MISS
This marks the beginning of the third-tier. To be completely honest, though, I feel like Ole Miss can be a tier unto itself because the difference between the third and fourth tiers isn't that great. That's not to say there aren't plenty of valid arguments to having some of the schools beneath it ranked higher, but personally, I'd rather have the gig in Oxford over any of the other remaining options.

9    SOUTH CAROLINA
I went back and forth between South Carolina and Arkansas for this spot, and in the end, I settled on the Gamecocks. It's important to remember that before Steve Spurrier showed up, this wasn't a program with much of a history. It only has one conference title to claim, and it came as a member of the ACC back in 1969. It's 2010 SEC East title is the only division title it has won as a member of the SEC. Also, while it's the state school, when it comes to football it is clearly in Clemson's shadow. So why did I put it here? Well, I'd rather be recruiting in South Carolina and the surrounding area than in any of the other places left to get to.

10    ARKANSAS
Arkansas certainly has had more success in its history than South Carolina. It won a share of a national title in 1964, numerous SWC titles, and it's won the SEC West three times since joining the conference. So I can certainly understand why you'd want to rank Arkansas higher than South Carolina if that's your inkling. The problem for me is that even if it's the biggest program in the state, Arkansas still needs to rely on recruiting surrounding states more than South Carolina would need to. And when it does it's competing against LSU, Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma. That's a disadvantage.

11 MISSOURI
I have Missouri here, but I don't feel great about it. It was one of the more challenging schools to peg because it's still new to the SEC, but it does have some advantages. While it's not on the level of some other areas, St. Louis has produced a lot of high-quality talent, and Mizzou has good pull in the city. I do wonder how high the ceiling is here, though, because Gary Pinkel may have worked wonders, but there hadn't been a plethora of success here before he showed up.

12   KENTUCKY
Kentucky is one of those jobs that could climb further in these rankings in coming years. Historically the program hasn't been great. I mean, Kentucky was an original member of the SEC, yet it's only won two conference titles in its history. Plus, Kentucky is, and always will be, a basketball school. There's no getting around that. In the last few years, though, the school has made more of an effort to improve the football program, and it's possible we could see that work pay off shortly.

13   MISS. ST.
I don't think Dan Mullen's ability to build a program and coach is appreciated enough. It is not easy to win in Starkville. Like Kentucky, it's an original member of the SEC, but unlike Kentucky, it's only won the conference once, not twice. Hell, it's only won the division once, and that happened nearly 20 years ago. It's also one of two SEC teams in the state, and it's just not as good of a job as Ole Miss.

14    VANDERBILT
Sorry, Vandy, but this was an easy choice. It's the only private school in the conference and has the smallest enrollment. Furthermore, it must compete with Tennessee, which is the far more popular school within the state. And among SEC states, Tennessee just doesn't have the talent base comparable to others. If you can win here consistently, you are a fantastic coach.

jkstock04

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2017, 10:55:38 am »

Define "win at all cost"
Programs that put winning as the #1 priority. Us and Vandy are probably the only schools in the SEC that don't.

ipigsooie

• Senior
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2017, 11:09:23 am »

a non-bias perspective from CBS Sports over the summer

Definitely thing the hv post has a much more accurate ranking than the cbs one. Georgia is a better job than Florida? No way. I understand his reasoning to a point but you dont see near the talent out of the state of Georgia as you do in Florida. The record doesnt lie either.  Florida has won 20 of the last 27 games vs Georgia and they have won 3 national championships and 12 sec east titles. Also 7 sec overall championships compared to UGA having 5 sec east titles  and 2 overall sec championships. In my opinion it isnt even close. Steve spurrier made the florida job at least the 2nd best job in the sec.

BR

• BR's Home Page
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2017, 11:11:24 am »

Definitely thing the hv post has a much more accurate ranking than the cbs one. Georgia is a better job than Florida? No way. I understand his reasoning to a point but you dont see near the talent out of the state of Georgia as you do in Florida. The record doesnt lie either.  Florida has won 20 of the last 27 games vs Georgia and they have won 3 national championships and 12 sec east titles. Also 7 sec overall championships compared to UGA having 5 sec east titles  and 2 overall sec championships. In my opinion it isnt even close. Steve spurrier made the florida job at least the 2nd best job in the sec.
  Georgia, with 27 players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft, took the title for most draftees narrowly edging out Florida (26), California (25) and Texas (24).

ipigsooie

• Senior
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2017, 11:18:31 am »

Georgia, with 27 players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft, took the title for most draftees narrowly edging out Florida (26), California (25) and Texas (24).

Last year was an anomaly. Usually it is florida, texas, or california. Since 2006 the state of Florida has produced 49 first round draft choices while georgia has produced 22.

WoooPigNation

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2017, 11:29:32 am »

Few thoughts on CBS article:

1.  Why LSU number 2? It is a fine program and is top tier but the 2nd best is a stretch. LSU was on the brink of hiring Tom Herman but ended up with Coach O.  That's like going from Kate Upton to Rosie O'Donnell.

2.  F'in Ole Miss and South Carolina ahead of us? This guy must have applied to Arkansas got denied and got accepted to Ole Miss and USC. We have more money than both of those schools combined.  Not to mention, Clemson and Miss State create a divide between the people of the states. 

smb

• Senior
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2017, 11:42:53 am »

Arkansas has deep pockets?

WoooPigNation

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2017, 11:49:51 am »

Arkansas has deep pockets?

I think they have a mom and pop retailer up here started by some Wal guy.  I'm not for sure, but I think they make a decent profit.  Also there's a guy who likes to raise birds, don't know how he makes money doing it.  Another guy has a couple trucks he hauls stuff around the country for.  Another guy has a small retail store. Commonly in malls, but seems like the clothes there are too expensive for anyone so I also don't know how he makes any many.  Finally, some guy owns a football team that plays on Sundays, but with ratings down and all, don't think he'll turn a profit this year.

East TN HAWG

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2017, 11:58:35 am »

It's hard to rank the exact order because we are biased on what has happen recently.  For instance, when Urban or Spurrier was at FL they would have been best.  Now its Bama.  Tiers structure would be best.

Tier One:
Bama, FL, GA, LSU, TN
Tier Two:
A$M, Aub, Ark, SC
Tier three:
The rest

WalHog2018

• Varsity
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2017, 12:03:55 pm »

So you're saying the football team doesn't make money?  Again you're blinded by YOUR opinion.  As far as the rest of the country we have a top notch AD.  But Arkansas fans are notorious for always assuming we have the next person lined up that brings us where we feel we should be, not where we actually are.  The next QB is the QB of the future.  The next coach gets us to 10 wins.  The next AD hires the coach that everyone wants. 

Reality is Long is generating revenue still with football and has a basketball team winning 20+ games, a baseball team going to the CWS, and a track team that is brought back to prominence.  Long's job > your opinion.

A baseball team that has choked in the CWS and doesnt make money. A basketball team that is irrelevant now on a national stage, cant fill the stadium, and doesnt make money.  A football team that is tanking and will continue to lose money. We were in the top 10 money earners when Petrino was here. We have fallen ten spots since. We will continue to fall. Also, track? lol.  Who cares. No one.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas