• 385,707 Topics
• 21,617 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marriage Makes High School Star Elligible  (Read 190 times)

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
    • Bring Back Slobbering Hog
Marriage Makes High School Star Elligible
« on: November 02, 2017, 12:43:46 pm »

Weird story about a teen who married so that he could be football eligible for a high school in Arkansas.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/nov/02/wedding-between-two-teens-makes-star-football-play/

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
Re: Marriage Makes High School Star Elligible
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 09:21:50 am »

True lover of the game.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Vantage 8 dude

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 05:25:38 pm »

One of the crazier stories for sure. In reading this article I was immediately reminded of a story my late father once told me about a very athletic and strong football player that from the Mtn. Pine area that was "recruited" to play for Hot Springs High School back in the '30s. At the height of the Depression and with jobs scarce the boy's father was looking for work. It just so happened his dad was offered a job at a saw mill in the area. However, there was also a slight "catch". By accepting the job the son was allowed to register as a HSHS student and at the same time very strongly "encouraged" to go out for the football team. The agreement apparently worked as the young man not only lettered, but was named All-State. His dad had his job and was fortunately able to put food on the table for the family. A "win-win".

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 10:41:17 am »

One of the crazier stories for sure. In reading this article I was immediately reminded of a story my late father once told me about a very athletic and strong football player that from the Mtn. Pine area that was "recruited" to play for Hot Springs High School back in the '30s. At the height of the Depression and with jobs scarce the boy's father was looking for work. It just so happened his dad was offered a job at a saw mill in the area. However, there was also a slight "catch". By accepting the job the son was allowed to register as a HSHS student and at the same time very strongly "encouraged" to go out for the football team. The agreement apparently worked as the young man not only lettered, but was named All-State. His dad had his job and was fortunately able to put food on the table for the family. A "win-win".

Lots of stuff like that went on pre WW 2 according to my Grandfather and Great Grandfather.

The Cotton Belt RR was well know for getting good players Dads good jobs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas