Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Getting funny now: Sumlin to Arkansas Speculation

Started by BR, October 31, 2017, 09:25:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelhawg

"All things good or bad will come to an end. Except time."Roger Waters

bob slydell

Quote from: The NewEra on October 31, 2017, 10:29:08 am
Sumlin appears to be on pace to have his second half of the season collapse.  Maybe we should hire Sumlin to coach us for the first six games and have Bielema coach us for the second have of the season?  Just a thought!

I don't know.  The way we closed out the second half last year makes that proposal iffy.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

huntindoc

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on October 31, 2017, 05:46:01 pm
Wouldn't you think there was a no compete clause in all SEC contracts?

Not if the employer terminates the contract.

longtimeHogfan

I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

smb

GeorgiaHOG

TexKO

What about Sumlin and bring in Coach Bro (when he is fired at the end of the season) as OC?  With those two guys back together and bringing those strong Texas recruiting ties, I like that combo and upside.  Keep Roades and let him finish the defense rebuild job he has started.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: goodguytex on October 31, 2017, 05:51:44 pm
Sumlin to Arkansas? That would be kind of awkward... We already have a HC. And he's probably going to be our HC next year too. And he's got built in excuses too.... Star receiver, RB, and Center and QB go down. And those excuses will work too.

We are  2-5 when our center played...that injury doesn't count.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

The_Iceman

I think Sumlin could use a change of scenery. He can still have success as a head coach. How can he be expected to win at a place that has only male cheerleaders?

HotlantaHog

Not my first pick ... Would be fine with Sumlin or Gus.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: NuttinItUp on October 31, 2017, 09:32:05 am
Sumlin actually has done pretty well at A&M.

2012    11–2   
2013    9–4   
2014    8–5         
2015    8–5      
2016    8–5      

I think most people here would prefer that over what we had.   

You just got trolled by the Aggies beat guy.!?!?!?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Sorry, shoulda kept reading. A bunch of y'all got trolled by the aTm troll machine.
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

Pork Twain

Might as well add him to the list of coaches that cannot do more with more and people thin they are going to magically come here and do more with less (Gus, Miles, Richt and Sumlin).
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

FutureMan

I think there is a lot to be said about a coach just changing venues and becoming rejuvenated.  A pessimistic view-point would be - 'He couldn't do it at A&M, what makes you think he can do it here?'  But sometimes it just becomes stale for a coach and a change of venue and team re-focuses them and their true potential comes out.  Plus, you take with you all the mistakes you made at your previous stop and can correct them accordingly (Handling of Quarterbacks...).

I would point to Will Muschamp to back up this point.  I, for one, thought he would be terrible at SC because he was terrible at Florida.  But he has succeeded beyond what I thought he could at SC in his first two years.  He specifically talked about what he needed to do differently to be a successful head coach in the SEC - and then acted on it.  No reason for me to think Sumlin couldn't do the same - or Gus for that matter.
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

sigpooie

Lack of any improvement in any area, lack of general understanding of off, def, s teams and lack of a winning record. Plus any high school coach in ark could have done better with same resources.  Butters is out. Follow the agents, not the teams for more in site.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

HognotinMemphis

One man's trash is another man's treasure. Substitute "college football program" for "man". Bielema can't beat Sumlin to save his job, so he is more attractive than Bielema to Arkansas. Plus, he's black. That would help since 80% of the team is black.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HawgHeadCheese

Kevin Sumlins offense would actually be a perfect fit for our roster.

JethroB.

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 31, 2017, 11:51:51 am

Except for the first year those are mediocre outcomes based on their recruiting since joining the SEC.

Johnny foozball basically made Sumlin a lot of money. Once he was gone his results are mediocre (thought better than ours) with superior talent. I'm concerned about this hire.

twistitup

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 01, 2017, 09:24:43 am
One man's trash is another man's treasure. Substitute "college football program" for "man". Bielema can't beat Sumlin to save his job, so he is more attractive than Bielema to Arkansas. Plus, he's black. That would help since 80% of the team is black.

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 01, 2017, 07:14:31 am
We are  2-5 when our center played...that injury doesn't count.

It may count more than we know... Wouldn't that be some crap to lose our only real NFL prospect and then win out..?

Darren DeLoach

Not impressed...Figures to land in TTech or SMU, if he goes anywhere.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Hogwild

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 31, 2017, 10:34:49 am
Sumlin actually has done pretty well at A&M.

2012    11–2   
2013    9–4   
2014    8–5         
2015    8–5     
2016    8–5     

I think most people here would prefer that over what we had.

Remove Manziel and Sumlin would not even still be there.

Remove Arkansas from his schedule and it doesn't look so good.

Over the past 4+ years, he is 1-16 against LSU(never), Bama(2012), Ole Miss(2013), and Miss State(2014) in his last 17 games. (the year of his last victory over said school)

Sugar Free Hog

Quote from: navyhog24 on October 31, 2017, 10:35:05 am
Might as well just hire Gus if we're gonna go the "retread" route

Be respectful please, Gus has family members on this board.  :P
Razorbacks-Grizzlies-Titans-Red Sox

checkraiser88

I posted this SEVERAL weeks ago and got laughed off the board. We need an offensive Coach who can recruit and ties to Texas recruiting is a major plus. I'd take him in a heart beat

Hog N Bama

Quote from: bkjbearcat on October 31, 2017, 09:37:48 am
I think SECCountry is just throwing darts at names on a wall at this point.
click traffic

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 01, 2017, 09:24:43 am
Well I hate to disappoint and prove you wrong here, boyo. In your case your trash is NO ONE'S treasure.