Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gus Malzahn

Started by Ironhawg, October 23, 2017, 07:30:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

If Bielema is fired, would you support Gus Malzahn as head coach at Arkansas?

Yes
144 (60.8%)
No
60 (25.3%)
Frito Pie
33 (13.9%)

Total Members Voted: 234

Voting closed: October 25, 2017, 07:30:45 pm

Ironhawg

Since he left Arkansas to go to Tulsa I have seen both positive and negative comments about Gus on this board.  I am not suggesting him as Bielema's replacement, but I am curious about what level of support he would have, at least from the members of this board, if he was named head coach.  If you want to list your reasons for your vote, please feel free. 

King Kong

Boardon Hamsay

I am contractually obligated to vote Frito Pie. I can be bought out though for $15.4M.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

MudBone

Was OC when Auburn won the National Championship and head coach when Auburn went back. Would have done well at Arkansas if HDN and the DC would have work with him when he was installing his offensive scheme, Heck the NFL started running the wildcat afterwards. The man is a winner and has made different teams offense better where ever he went.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on October 23, 2017, 07:34:04 pm
I am contractually obligated to vote Frito Pie. I can be bought out though for $15.4M.

+1.  Well played!

Piggfoot

This poll will last about 20 votes unless Malzahn is voted down.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Davidr295

Never understood the Gus hate on this board. Its not his fault what happened at the end of the nutt era. He went were he was offered the head job, what was he supposed to do not coach anymore until the Arkansas job came open? Is he not supposed to try and beat us now that he is at Auburn?

JaketheSnake

I wouldn't support him during the search/hire process bc I think there are better options,  but if he is hired then I'll root for him and his teams like I've done every other Hog team.

Matt Burks

I'd prefer several other candidates over Gus. Just because he has SEC experience doesn't mean he can take us to the next level. If we were ever going to hire him, it should have been back when we hired CBB, not now.

Hogs-n-Roses

Malzahn-AR-OC--McFadden,Jones,Hillis,Monk
Malzahn-AU-OC- NC- Cam Newton
Malzahn-HC- very decent job when has good QB,recruits well to AU. Question would be can he do the same here. Lost a few he should of won,LSU last week, won a few lucky ones, GA,Bama.
I voted no because those who dislike him are adamant about it and they have good reason. Would really like the next hire to glue our state n fans back together and us all start over together and rally. Just a dream.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: King Kong on October 23, 2017, 07:31:50 pm
If he wins yes

Exactly. If Houston Nutt came back and started winning like petrino was I would support his pathetic ass also.   
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hawg1221

He is responsible for turning Arkansas State's program into one where good assistants go to start their careers. They play exciting football now and can actually score points. And he was only there for a year.

Granny fan

I didn't vote, but I will support whoever is hired, however,  would prefer it's not him.

havok

If the only options are Gus or keep what we have.. sign me up for a seat on Gus Bus. 

hawgdavis

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 23, 2017, 07:41:45 pm
I wouldn't support him during the search/hire process bc I think there are better options,  but if he is hired then I'll root for him and his teams like I've done every other Hog team.

This is what I was thinking

Sweet Feet

Absolutely. The man has been successful everywhere he has been. A lot of people on here just have a hate for him because he is a successful Arkansan elsewhere. That and he beatdown a lot of teams when he was coaching high school here.

He would be great. But we would rather hold petty grudges and bitch about being mediocre. It's been the Arkansas way since joining the SEC.

grayhawg

If Gus is hired I will continue to support the Hogs, but don't hold your breath onnthat happening.

Arkstfan

Quote from: hawg1221 on October 23, 2017, 07:48:04 pm
He is responsible for turning Arkansas State's program into one where good assistants go to start their careers. They play exciting football now and can actually score points. And he was only there for a year.
Actually, he followed Freeze so Freeze gets credit for that.

But here is the question for Hog fans.

How do you go from Nutt to Petrino to Bret? There is no common thread in those hires. No shared offensive philosophy, no shared defensive scheme.

grayhawg

Quote from: Arkstfan on October 23, 2017, 07:52:31 pm
Actually, he followed Freeze so Freeze gets credit for that.

But here is the question for Hog fans.

How do you go from Nutt to Petrino to Bret? There is no common thread in those hires. No shared offensive philosophy, no shared defensive scheme.
Petrino and Bielema both approached Long while he was looking elsewhere.

Michael_E_Davis

Quote from: Davidr295 on October 23, 2017, 07:40:41 pm
Never understood the Gus hate on this board. Its not his fault what happened at the end of the nutt era. He went were he was offered the head job, what was he supposed to do not coach anymore until the Arkansas job came open? Is he not supposed to try and beat us now that he is at Auburn?

He doesn't have to 'try' and beat us at all.
"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

BOAR_N2BWILD

Gus is dirty. He needs to be at a place like Auburn.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Ragnar Hogbrok

His last three years, he's won 8, 7, and 8 games, respectively.  With Awburn talent and a $chool that recruit$ $eem to flock to like the $almon of Capi$trano.

Why does anyone think he'd be better here?
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Matt Burks

Quote from: MartinGit on October 23, 2017, 07:48:11 pm
It's a done deal

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/gus-malzahn-leave-auburn-arkansas-paul-finebaum-thinks-possible/?utm_source=GD365&utm_campaign=GD365&utm_medium=GD365
You don't think it's a smoke screen? Personally, I don't think that would excite everyone. I think it would be a "he got run out of Auburn and lil ol Arkansas picked him up." I mean did you not hear what Fimebaum said about us holding a parade for an 8-win season? Petrino proved that the right coach can have high success. You want to excite the fanbase and recruits, then get a coach with high upside even though they may not have SEC experience. You think Matt Campbell, Norvell, Brohm, or someone similar wouldn't excite everyone? Look at how many younger coaches are winning compared to the older ones. SEC experience should not be a requirement in determining our next coaching hire.

tasteslikechicken

I originally wanted Norvell but I would love to see Gus as the head hog. He is a bright football mind. He is young and enthusiastic. He already understands what it takes to compete in the SEC. He is a native son. He has written a book. I could go on. We should have hired him last time.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: tasteslikechicken on October 23, 2017, 08:09:00 pm
I originally wanted Norvell but I would love to see Gus as the head hog. He is a bright football mind. He is young and enthusiastic. He already understands what it takes to compete in the SEC. He is a native son. He has written a book. I could go on. We should have hired him last time.
Well, he is not a native because he was born in Texas...but I get your point.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Ragnar Hogbrok

If Gus is hired (which I highly doubt), I will continue to support the Hogs, but will expect to have a ceiling of 8 wins on a good year.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

tasteslikechicken

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 23, 2017, 08:10:34 pm
Well, he is not a native because he was born in Texas...but I get your point.

I got a little carried away.

Matt Burks

Quote from: The Chief on October 23, 2017, 08:12:07 pm
If Gus is hired (which I highly doubt), I will continue to support the Hogs, but will expect to have a ceiling of 8 wins on a good year.
All coaching hires are a gamble (except Saban) so why not hire someone with a chance at pushing that ceiling hire? You're right, Gus would push us to mediocrity. Would he be better than CBB? Probably, but maybe not by much.

Hogindasticks

Davidr295

Quote from: The Chief on October 23, 2017, 08:05:09 pm
His last three years, he's won 8, 7, and 8 games, respectively.  With Awburn talent and a $chool that recruit$ $eem to flock to like the $almon of Capi$trano.

Why does anyone think he'd be better here?

He has regularly destroyed us and has taken them to a national championship and won a sec championship. His teams are always in contention to win the west. but lets keep holding on to that blind hate..... while our program burns to the ground.

Davidr295

Davidr295

Quote from: Matt Burks on October 23, 2017, 08:15:46 pm
All coaching hires are a gamble (except Saban) so why not hire someone with a chance at pushing that ceiling hire? You're right, Gus would push us to mediocrity. Would he be better than CBB? Probably, but maybe not by much.

Based on what?

Ironhawg

I have nothing personal against Gus, except of course that he is coaching a division rival, so he is to be hated.  I have doubts about how good his offense would be at Arkansas.  I also wonder if he would be able to attract anywhere near the defensive talent at Arkansas that he can at Auburn.  I also don't know what kind of relationship he has with Arkansas high school football coaches these days.

Matt Burks

Quote from: Davidr295 on October 23, 2017, 08:18:08 pm
He has regularly destroyed us and has taken them to a national championship and won a sec championship. His teams are always in contention to win the west. but lets keep holding on to that blind hate..... while our program burns to the ground.
Auburn ha$ a rich hi$tory in recruiting. We don't have that and don't need to go down that road, or we could end up like Ole Miss.

FrankCourtneyNicodemus

AflacHawg

Quote from: tasteslikechicken on October 23, 2017, 08:09:00 pm

But can he write a good letter?

Davidr295

Quote from: Matt Burks on October 23, 2017, 08:21:58 pm
Auburn ha$ a rich hi$tory in recruiting. We don't have that and don't need to go down that road, or we could end up like Ole Miss.

So we cant hire anybody from a team that has a history of winning.... got it.

parallaxpig

Quote from: Davidr295 on October 23, 2017, 08:19:26 pm
why why why why

Because he coaches at one of the dirtiest schools in NCAA history.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

hog of steele

If he was our coach, I would support him.

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Matt Burks

Quote from: Davidr295 on October 23, 2017, 08:23:31 pm
So we cant hire anybody from a team that has a history of winning.... got it.
What makes you so confident that Gus could make us a winning program here? As much as I love my Hogs, we don't have the recruiting history that Auburn has had for many years. Do you think he can recruit the same type of players at Arkansas as he does at Auburn?

Davidr295

Quote from: parallaxpig on October 23, 2017, 08:26:12 pm
Because he coaches at one of the dirtiest schools in NCAA history.

So he was supposed to just stay at ark st and turn down a chance at a head gig at a sec school. lol. 

Davidr295

Quote from: Matt Burks on October 23, 2017, 08:29:44 pm
What makes you so confident that Gus could make us a winning program here? As much as I love my Hogs, we don't have the recruiting history that Auburn has had for many years. Do you think he can recruit the same type of players at Arkansas as he does at Auburn?

Could anybody recruit well here?? I think he could do about the same level as Petrino.

threeNout

He has two things I'd really like to see in a new coach,

a former Hog who has SEC HC experience.

I'd really like to see a former Hog be our next coach, and wouldn't mind seeing what Gus could do with CK for 3 years.

Ironhawg

Quote from: threeNout on October 23, 2017, 08:35:17 pm
He has two things I'd really like to see in a new coach,

a former Hog who has SEC HC experience.

I'd really like to see a former Hog be our next coach, and wouldn't mind seeing what Gus could do with CK for 3 years.

Is CK mobile enough to run Gus' offense?

nichc85

Can't support Malzahn as Hog head coach. He would not be an applicant that comes in with a fresh slate. Divisive from day one.

Win at all costs. Remember the gun issue when he was at AState. Looked the other way until it became public knowledge. To me he is of the Rick Pitino mold but no hookers.

parallaxpig

Quote from: Davidr295 on October 23, 2017, 08:30:12 pm
So he was supposed to just stay at ark st and turn down a chance at a head gig at a sec school. lol.

He had been there before and knows what goes on. So they offered and he accepted. You think they offered Chizik  because of his stellar 5 - 18 Iowa St record.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,