• 385,276 Topics
• 21,583 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mike Leach: Arkansasí War Memorial Stadium is loudest place Iíve ever played  (Read 199 times)

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian

Arkansas may soon no longer be playing at War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock, Ark. The venue has been the Hogsí home away from home since 1948.

But regardless of what the future holds for War Memorial, itíll go down as one of the loudest college football stadiums ever according Washington State coach Mike Leach.

ďLittle Rock, Arkansas Ö thatís the loudest I ever played,Ē said Leach. ďEntirely concrete structure. Itís as if you had a football game in the neighbors basement and all the kids were yelling louder than hell. And you could tell when youíre starting out. Youíd clap your hands and youíd hear it five times.

ďWhen you figure thereís 45,000 and you multiple that times five that equals approximately 250,000. Thatís a lot of people. And thereís no stadiums that hold 250,000 people. So, 250,000 people are louder than 100,000 people.Ē

Leach was the offensive coordinator at Kentucky 1998 when the Wildcats played Arkansas at War Memorial Stadium. The attendance for that game, a 27-20 Arkansas win, was 55,782. Leach has never played at Donald W. Reynolds Razorbacks Stadium in Fayetteville.

Leach also mentioned Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Texas, Mississippi State, Nebraska, LSU, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina and Tennessee among the loudest stadiums heís played.

1highhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • 1964, the year of the hog.

I was at that game along with my wife, it was a great game and I remember Barrett making that interception right in front of us, I thought for sure he was going to score but got caught around the 10yd line I think.  We had a pretty salty defense at that time, with some real headhunters as well, y'all remember Kennedy?  Oline also was pretty good, Ford wasn't much of a Coach here, but he recruited some great players.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWJvibqIlUU

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

geauxhawgs

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

hoggusamoungus

• All-American Hogvillian
Re: Mike Leach- Little Rock/War Memorial
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 07:05:53 am »

Bacons Rebellion

• All-American Hogvillian
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Mike Leach- Little Rock/War Memorial
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 07:06:00 am »

Different times.

"Arkansas rallied with 20 unanswered points to win."

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!

How loud a stadium can be for any one game according to any one individual is related to who was saying it, what teams were playing and the importance of the game. Generally however some places are thought to be louder than others.

The Boar War

• Gold Hogvillian

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis

Vantage 8 dude

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian

How loud a stadium can be for any one game according to any one individual is related to who was saying it, what teams were playing and the importance of the game. Generally however some places are thought to be louder than others.
Very wise observation(s). Yep, no doubt some of the absolute loudest/rowdiest crowds I've ever experienced have been at WMS. And no, this is a statement of MY experiences, not some veiled GSD post.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas