• 382,849 Topics
• 21,411 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Call it High School if you wish.  (Read 3387 times)

Piggfoot

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hog Table top cooker
Call it High School if you wish.
« on: October 01, 2017, 09:04:19 pm »

Sitting here watching Auburn and Miss St. and I have to say I really like Auburns offense. There is so much more deception in their offense. I'm still supporting Bielema for now but wish Enos would read Malzahn's book.

GunnerHawg70

• Senior
  • IT'S GOOD TO BE A HAWG!!!
    • http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?PHPSESSID=a626eb335754948b10eda3b6a4006715&action=dlattach;attach=101650;type=avatar
Re: Call it High School if you wish.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 09:08:24 pm »

+1

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

grayhawg

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 09:12:05 pm »

The biggest difference in Arkansas and Auburn is not x's and o's, it's Jimmy and Joes

Danimal

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 09:16:02 pm »

I can't help but wonder if Enos is being "over-ruled" at times (especially in the red zone).

The Boar War

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 09:20:45 pm »

I can't help but wonder if Enos is being "over-ruled" at times (especially in the red zone).

Why?

Piggfoot

• Hog Table top cooker
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 09:22:26 pm »

The biggest difference in Arkansas and Auburn is not x's and o's, it's Jimmy and Joes
I realize they have better recruits than we do. But when you don't have the players to play smash mouth cram it down your throat I should think you would be more deceptive. We would be hard pressed to fake out Ray Charles with our run game.

TeufelHog

• Never Forget, Never Yield!
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 09:36:33 pm »

Attended the Auburn-MissState game yesterday and saw it first hand . . . it's "Jimmy's and Joe's."  "Grown-Arse-Men" obtained after numerous recruiting classes of 4 and 5* talent.  Size and speed in every position with depth at each position.

sowmonella

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I am the danger.
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 09:39:11 pm »

That offense requires having superior talent to be successful. It's basically the same 4 plays out of different sets.

Sed76

• Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 09:40:22 pm »

Have they changed? Used to be like 3 plays they ran. Hand off up the middle. Fake hand off where the QB keeps it running to the edge or a pass after faking the hand off.

JaketheSnake

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 09:46:48 pm »

Have they changed? Used to be like 3 plays they ran. Hand off up the middle. Fake hand off where the QB keeps it running to the edge or a pass after faking the hand off.
Nothing has changed.  They run those plays and spread you out horizontally.  Then get you to bite then hit you vertically. 

HogInThaGrove

• Hogvillian
  • My, what big...eyes you have, Elmo...
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 10:25:19 pm »

...and beat you by 50.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 10:45:50 pm »

It's execution at a much higher level as well as Jimmie's and Joe's.

Execution has been awful under CBB.

Darren DeLoach (semohawg)

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 10:49:35 pm »

...and beat you by 50.

Yep, we lost badly. Thanks and go root for your team.

Hawghiggs

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 10:51:36 pm »

When Gus was at Tulsa he did a pretty good job.

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 11:01:26 pm »

The Gus-hate around here is hilarious whenever Auburn is mentioned.

ballz2thewall

• Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 12:26:09 am »

Why?

because we're crammed in like sardines. we aren't a power team.

HardCore

• Senior
  • Was it good for you too, Leo?
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 12:52:37 am »

Probably going to be much more hate on the 21st & 22nd

Chris McWilliams

• "He's a self-made man and worships his creator."
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 01:51:12 am »

Sitting here watching Auburn and Miss St. and I have to say I really like Auburns offense. There is so much more deception in their offense. I'm still supporting Bielema for now but wish Enos would read Malzahn's book.

And how well did it run last year and the year before?  Amazing how awesome Gusí offense looks when he is able to bring in a QB someone else has developed.  Not so much when relying on a QB he and his staff develops

SooiecidetillNuttgone

• Melyssa Forde. Simply One of the Greatest.
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 02:48:46 am »

And how well did it run last year and the year before?  Amazing how awesome Gusí offense looks when he is able to bring in a QB someone else has developed.  Not so much when relying on a QB he and his staff develops

Tell the TU quarterback that.

Chris McWilliams

• "He's a self-made man and worships his creator."
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 03:16:32 am »

Tell the TU quarterback that.

Paul Smith was a two year starter at TU prior to St Gus the Pius and Dave Johnson backed Smith up for three years...next?

Al Boarland

• Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 03:35:42 am »

2 things.

1. Auburn hired a new OC. Speed sweeps to stretch the D are pretty much a staple of every offense.

2. Enos pulled every gadget/misdirection play he had out against A&M.

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 06:40:44 am »

...as is the Gus-love.

Jimbob111

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 06:49:59 am »

Seriously?  Not so. The difference in the Xs and Os is night and day. If the difference in Jimmys and Joes was as great as the Xs and Os, Arkansas players would be 1 foot tall, winged, green skinned, anthropomorphic capybaras who use a mariachi band for cheerleaders.

grayhawg

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2017, 07:01:24 am »

Ex-Trumpet

• When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2017, 07:04:15 am »

Some of you forget that Gus ran that same offense while he was OC here.  Worked pretty well if I recall.

JaketheSnake

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2017, 07:52:15 am »

Seriously?  Not so. The difference in the Xs and Os is night and day. If the difference in Jimmys and Joes was as great as the Xs and Os, Arkansas players would be 1 foot tall, winged, green skinned, anthropomorphic capybaras who use a mariachi band for cheerleaders.
Auburn has more speed by far on the DL & LB.  They are in the middle of D1Recruit, USA.  We have speed on O, but our D is a little speed-limp.

The Boar War

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2017, 07:52:24 am »

because we're crammed in like sardines. we aren't a power team.

We're not really a finesse team either.  I don't doubt that Enos is given some guidelines but what makes you come to the conclusion that Enos has a great play called only to be overruled by Bielema's desire to run it up the middle?  I believe that most coaches would "go conservative" on the 2-3 yard line. 

Enos is in the enviable position of making all the good calls while the bad ones occur when "he's being overruled by Bert".
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:49:06 am by The Boar War »

Jimbob111

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2017, 08:15:38 am »

Auburn has more speed by far on the DL & LB.  They are in the middle of D1Recruit, USA.  We have speed on O, but our D is a little speed-limp.

Speed on offense? Other than receivers who don't consistently get separation despite speed and Hayden and Williams, where is the speed? If it's there, like Hammonds, the coaches aren't getting it on the field.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2017, 08:18:34 am »

That offense requires having superior talent to be successful. It's basically the same 4 plays out of different sets.

Yes they say they have 20 plays total but they start with that basic 4 out of dozens of formations.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is there a problem here?
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2017, 08:20:10 am »

Anyone who cant/wont see the difference in the players at the top SEC schools ( right now that would be Bama, Ga FLA and Aub ) and Arkansas is either blind or in denial. Yes, Auburn executes their 3 plays very well, but they are the same 3 plays they have been using since Gus got there. Difference is, just like 2010 and 2013 his players are just better than the teams he has played so far, except Clemson, but they were pretty level in talent with them. Last year and in 2015 when his talent level was down, especially at QB, they were not very good at all.

You people that keep acting like talent is meaningless, or that the Hogs have players just as good as anyone else are simply denying the most obvious factor of all, PLAYERS MATTER.

HoginMemphis

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2017, 08:23:52 am »

That's not possible. Bielema' recruiting classes have consistently been ranked in top 25. Last year's 56-3 loss to Auburn was just an aberration.

Al Boarland

• Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2017, 08:25:02 am »

Do you watch them play? The have a new OC and his fingerprints are all over the offense.

rljjr

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2017, 08:31:26 am »

We're not really a finesse team either.  I don't doubt that Enos is given some guidelines but what makes you come to the conclusion that Enos has a great play called only to be overruled by Bielema's desire to run it up the middle?  I believe that most coaches would "go conservative" on the 2-3 yard line. 

Enos is in the enviable position of making all the good calls while the bad ones occur when he's being overruled by Bert.

I hope calling him Bert makes you feel like a big man.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2017, 08:34:53 am »

That's not possible. Bielema' recruiting classes have consistently been ranked in top 25. Last year's 56-3 loss to Auburn was just an aberration.

I know you know better than that. Top 25 classes might still only be 10th or 11th in the SEC.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2017, 08:43:37 am »

Anyone who cant/wont see the difference in the players at the top SEC schools ( right now that would be Bama, Ga FLA and Aub ) and Arkansas is either blind or in denial. Yes, Auburn executes their 3 plays very well, but they are the same 3 plays they have been using since Gus got there. Difference is, just like 2010 and 2013 his players are just better than the teams he has played so far, except Clemson, but they were pretty level in talent with them. Last year and in 2015 when his talent level was down, especially at QB, they were not very good at all.

You people that keep acting like talent is meaningless, or that the Hogs have players just as good as anyone else are simply denying the most obvious factor of all, PLAYERS MATTER.

Auburn holds a 13-11Ė1 lead in the series since Arkansas joined the SEC.  what do you think that says about the Jimmy's at Joe's at each school overtime?

The Boar War

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2017, 08:48:29 am »

I hope calling him Bert makes you feel like a big man.

Sorry.  Should have put that in quotes to go along with the sentiment of someone who believes Coach Bielema is overriding all the good plays at the goal line.  I don't understand the "Bert" nickname myself.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2017, 08:51:08 am »

Auburn holds a 13-11Ė1 lead in the series since Arkansas joined the SEC.  what do you think that says about the Jimmy's at Joe's at each school overtime?

In Auburns last 4 wins in the series, they were ranked 7, 11, 6, & 21 at the time of the game. IN the Hogs last 4 wins, the Hogs were unranked in 3 of those, and #10 in the other game. I mean the horrible JLS 2012 team beat Auburn.

What it tells me is just what I said, when Gus has really good players at key spots for what he likes to do, they are really really good. It tells me when they talent level is equal, the Hogs win. Auburn has won 3 of the last 4, and they have been recruiting in or near the top 10 for the past 5 years too.

HoginMemphis

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2017, 08:52:49 am »

I know you know better than that. Top 25 classes might still only be 10th or 11th in the SEC.
Whut?? That can't be true. Say it ain't so!

FANONTHEHILL

• Go Hogs!
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2017, 09:09:42 am »

My simple wish about every aspect of the offense is to open things up like Auburn does.  We are yet to see the full wide open, multiple formation and multiple sets,  that Coach Enos ran at Central Michigan.  When Bielema hired Pittman, it was bring in huge guys thay could go straight downhill at people.  When Enos got here, he wanted guys that could move in space and get out on sweeps and screens.  Pittman didnít like it and left. What I think has happened is that the physique of the Oline has evolved, but the philosophy that new physique is designed for is yet to fully evolve.  You can run straight into an eight man front when youíre 340+ across the line.  They arenít that anymore.  Opening things up and letting RBs work in space could help. Especially in the red zone.  Part of the issue with sacks is a vast majority of our passes come from under center and/or play action.  There arenít many teams in the country that can rely on their entire Oline blocking every pass play one in one. Add TJ that when the QB turns his back on the rush, itís tougher to slide to avoid the rush before stepping up in the pocket.  Being in the shotgun gives the QB a better view of pressure and a pocket to step up in to.  Auburn also throws a lot of timing routes rather than read routes.  Put the ball in a spot and the receiver will be there.  Iím not a huge fan of every aspect of the Malzahn offense, but their are aspects of it hat could work at Arkansas.  The power run game can still be a part of it.  We saw that eight the power spread that was ran under Petrino.   Basically what Iím saying is that I believe that at times they are too conservative with the personnel that have on campus.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2017, 09:10:14 am »

In Auburns last 4 wins in the series, they were ranked 7, 11, 6, & 21 at the time of the game. IN the Hogs last 4 wins, the Hogs were unranked in 3 of those, and #10 in the other game. I mean the horrible JLS 2012 team beat Auburn.

What it tells me is just what I said, when Gus has really good players at key spots for what he likes to do, they are really really good. It tells me when they talent level is equal, the Hogs win. Auburn has won 3 of the last 4, and they have been recruiting in or near the top 10 for the past 5 years too.

Going back to 2002, using rivals' recruiting rankings, Auburn averages recruiting classes in the top 10, and Arkansas averages classes in the mid-20s. Since 2005, the record in the series is 6Ė6. According to your theory, Auburn should be 12Ė0, correct?

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2017, 09:15:24 am »

Going back to 2002, using rivals' recruiting rankings, Auburn averages recruiting classes in the top 10, and Arkansas averages classes in the mid-20s. Since 2005, the record in the series is 6Ė6. So, according to your theory, Auburn should be 12Ė0, correct?

No, I was very clear, I said since Gus arrived as OC, and I know he took a year off to go to ASU, when they had had his type of QB, a big play WR and a couple good backs, they are really really good. When he has Sean White, or similar at QB, they are not good at all regardless of overall talent. This year they have a really good D as well.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2017, 09:19:11 am »

No, I was very clear, I said since Gus arrived as OC, and I know he took a year off to go to ASU, when they had had his type of QB, a big play WR and a couple good backs, they are really really good. When he has Sean White, or similar at QB, they are not good at all regardless of overall talent. This year they have a really good D as well.

Oh, I thought you said "when the talent level is equal, the hogs win." When has Auburn and Arkansas's talent level been equal according to recruiting rankings in the last 15 years? When has it been equal since Malzahn arrived at Auburn?

RazorPiggie

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2017, 09:21:17 am »

High School

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2017, 09:22:55 am »

The Iron Bowl might be pretty good this year.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2017, 09:26:30 am »

Oh, I thought you said "when the talent level is equal, the hogs win." When has Auburn and Arkansas's talent level been equal according to recruiting rankings in the last 15 years? When has it been equal since Malzahn arrived at Auburn?

When I talk about equal I am referring to one teams D against another teams O and vice versa. Recruiting #'s can be skewed by a really good class on one side of the ball. People tend to look and say who has the best Qb or who has the best OL. The Ol's are not lining up against each other. Is one teams Ol better than the other teams D line? Are my Wr's better than your db's? Those determine who has better talent. I can have 4 5 star qb's on my roster, but only one can play. But if I have 8 5 star dlmen on my roster I can play 4 at a time.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2017, 09:59:16 am »

Going back to 2002, using rivals' recruiting rankings, Auburn averages recruiting classes in the top 10, and Arkansas averages classes in the mid-20s. Since 2005, the record in the series is 6Ė6. According to your theory, Auburn should be 12Ė0, correct?

That is logical to me. I guess that deception type offense only wins so many games and not all of them.

P.S. The last time I checked play action which we use is a form of deception. Just a different type than the option based ones like gussy poo uses.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2017, 10:00:24 am »

The Iron Bowl might be pretty good this year.

I doubt Saban will line up for a long field goal the last play of regulation................... ;)

HotlantaHog

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2017, 10:34:31 am »

Malzahn is a very good coach. If he is smart, he will be looking for an exit at the end of the season. Pretty clear he will never be good enough to keep Auburn folks happy so long as Saban is in the same state.

Pigsknuckles

• When you least expect it...
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2017, 11:00:41 am »

The Auburn defense against MS was a buzz saw. Gave up a few yards, but not when it counted. MS only had 7 3rd down conversions out of 21 attempts, and gave up 2 INT's. MS didn't help it's cause with 10 penalties. Auburn had almost 10 minutes less possession time, but made good use of every bit of it. October 21 will be a test on both sides of the ball, and could get ugly early.

jmark

• Hogvillian
  • "can i have my old job back?" "No!"
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2017, 11:04:55 am »

Darrell Royal used a high school offense, ...the wishbone"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas