Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Realignment...and other notions

Started by hassettsportsman, October 01, 2017, 07:05:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hassettsportsman

It's been suggested before...but, after this season it's time for Auburn to move to the East and Missouri to the West.  Auburn can still have their 'blood feud' with Bama each year.  All SEC teams should reduce their creampuff opponents.  As for the latest rumor, allow UALR to introduce a football program and play at War Memorial.  Also, structure the Hog Coaching staff's annual salary based on wins and losses. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Why should SEC teams reduce the crew puff schedule? 

And why would a program structure the salary as you suggest?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

NuttinItUp

Do away with divisions.

Everyone gets 3 permanent opponents. Play everyone else every other year. (= 8 game schedule)

For Arkansas, our 3 permanent opponents would likely be: A&M, Missouri, LSU
We would play everyone else (the 10 other teams) on a rotating 2-year schedule.

island hog

Quote from: hassettsportsman on October 01, 2017, 07:05:54 pm
It's been suggested before...but, after this season it's time for Auburn to move to the East and Missouri to the West.  Auburn can still have their 'blood feud' with Bama each year.  All SEC teams should reduce their creampuff opponents.  As for the latest rumor, allow UALR to introduce a football program and play at War Memorial.  Also, structure the Hog Coaching staff's annual salary based on wins and losses.
Guess you never want to sign a coaching staff again nor get recruits to come to the UA.

hassettsportsman

Nuttin...those are good suggestions.  To respond to the earlier post....1) Toughening the schedule would result in greater attendance and ticket sales.  Thus, increasing the bounty of the SEC trough.  2) Coaches would have a greater incentive to prepare each week.  And, it would reduce the golden parachute.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hassettsportsman on October 01, 2017, 07:23:49 pm
Nuttin...those are good suggestions.  To respond to the earlier post....1) Toughening the schedule would result in greater attendance and ticket sales.  Thus, increasing the bounty of the SEC trough.  2) Coaches would have a greater incentive to prepare each week.  And, it would reduce the golden parachute.

1. Typically, the SEC schedule alone is more than enough. 

2. Good luck getting any legitimate coach to agree to take that deal.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

factchecker

- Auburn moving to the East would work if we moved to 9 conference games.  Alabama isn't going to give up it's permanent rival game with Tennessee.

- I'd like to play nothing but P5 schools but the difficulty of the SEC is enough plus the finances of playing home and home with other teams probably doesn't work.

- The major components stopping UALR from fielding a team is finances and fan support.  UALR operates an athletic department (currently without football) primarily on subsidies and student fees.  They are going to need a ton of help to get a program going.  Hopefully they get the help they need.

-Good luck getting any coach/agent to agree to the salary based on wins and losses...... also why did you only limit this stipulation to the Razorbacks?  Why would we need to have such a limiting pay scale?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hobhog

None of those suggestions will happen anytime soon, if at all.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Long was recently talking about realignment.  I wouldnt have an issue with AU moving east.   As for getting rid of divisions, not sure how i feel about it.  It would solve any expansion issues (16?) which is how Miz ended up in the east to start with.  But wouldnt that make getting to the championship game harder?  It probably makes more sense to do that but selfishly I dont want it to be harder than it is.  One day...

ChicoHog

Quote from: hobhog on October 01, 2017, 07:29:59 pm
None of those suggestions will happen anytime soon, if at all.
Unfortunately you are correct.  I would love 9 conf games like the Big Ten and Pac 12 and Big 12.  I hate playing FCS games but the coaches want cupcakes to help with bowl eligibility and pad their win total. And to all who say the SEC schedule is tough enough, that is a weak argument this year. 

RebelliousHog

Got no problem with re-aligning. There would be some scheduling issues to work out (Bama-Aubie as you mentioned) Missouri in the East is dumb.

Everyone plays cream puffs. Why should the SEC give them up if no one else does?

No to UALR football. Why should there be ANOTHER D1 team the Hogs won't play. Now if they stay in the, say, Div II or III that's fine. We don't need anymore DI teams.

Others said it already. No coach will do that. 
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

bballjws2004

Quote from: factchecker on October 01, 2017, 07:28:33 pm
- Auburn moving to the East would work if we moved to 9 conference games.  Alabama isn't going to give up it's permanent rival game with Tennessee.

Alabama and Auburn to the East. Vandy and Missouri to the West.  Solves all of the permanent match up issues and evens out the divisions.  Geographically vandi is located more Western than Auburn and about even with Alabama.

I believe we may see a return to 10 team conferences eventually and less money coming in.  Conference champs would make up the football playoffs annually.  I could see coaching salaries leveling off and then going down.  I could also see huge reductions in scholarships to say 50 total and no more than 20 in any one year.  Maybe a limit of 70 players on any team including walkons.  Reduce the overall coaching staff to the HC and 7 assistants to handle everything and no more QC Guys by the dozens as support personnel.  Also give every player 2 months completely off during the summer and 1 month completely off right after seasons end.  This game has reached a level of too much everything.  You would actually get more Kids in the game and a lot more competition.  Right now there is about 6 teams with a chance to actually win a NC and that will not change until the field is leveled.

NaturalStateReb

This, but the SEC has already said it wants to stick with 8 games. I don't think you see a change unless the SEC expands.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

GuvHog

- I'd like to play nothing but P5 schools but the difficulty of the SEC is enough plus the finances of playing home and home with other teams probably doesn't work.

- The major components stopping UALR from fielding a team is finances and fan support.  UALR operates an athletic department (currently without football) primarily on subsidies and student fees.  They are going to need a ton of help to get a program going.  Hopefully they get the help they need.

-Good luck getting any coach/agent to agree to the salary based on wins and losses...... also why did you only limit this stipulation to the Razorbacks?  Why would we need to have such a limiting pay scale?

Auburn would never consider moving to the East if it meant giving up their yearly game with Bama so the fact that they have already consented to the move says that Bama is willing to give up their Permanent East game with Tennessee if Auburn moves to the East.

If Auburn goes East and Missouri moves to the West, Bama will be Auburn's Permanent yearly West opponent while the Hogs will Probably get Tennessee as a permanent East opponent.

Alabama - Auburn
Arkansas - Tennessee
LSU - Florida
Miss State - Kentucky
Ole Miss - Vanderbilt
Texas A&M - South Carolina
Missouri - Georgia
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Piggfoot

October 01, 2017, 08:38:06 pm #15 Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 10:35:41 pm by Piggfoot
I would love to add OK AND OKSt to the west and moving Ala and Auburn to the east.

West teams. TAM, OK , OKSt, Ark, Mo,
LSU, Miss, and Miss St.
16 team confrence. Seven division games each year then rotate two cross division teams every two years. It would take eight years to play home and home with the east teams.
Some will say that the Oklahomas don't bring a big enough TV market but it would solidify North Texas and A&M has south Texas.
Also Oklahoma has a National following.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

GuvHog

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 01, 2017, 08:38:06 pm
I would love to add OK AND OKSt to the west and moving Ala and Auburn to the east.

West teams. TAM, OK , OKSt, Ark, Mo,
LSU, Miss, and Miss St.
16 team confrence. Seven division games each year then rotate two cross division teams every two years. It would take eight years to play home and home with the east teams.

I've always believed this will eventually happen. It makes too much sense for it not to.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!