• 388,810 Topics
• 22,006 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 ... 158 159 160 [161]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cam Newton thread.........Merged  (Read 374316 times)

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
Re: Cam Newton thread.........Merged
« Reply #8000 on: February 09, 2016, 01:25:18 pm »

Did I miss something?  Didn't Newton admit that he took the money, but Auburn and Cam got off because they couldn't prove Cam knew he took the money?  Isn't that SPECIFICALLY why the NCAA changed the rule to prohibit that? 

No clue on the Winston thing.  But I think it's funny that he took crab legs, did enough for FSU to pay the girl damages, but you're suggesting that he's innocent until proven guilty.  Well..he's no Brandon Allen in terms of kids who do the right thing, and I don't have to know if it was actually rape or not to know that.   

I thought he flew around and reversed the rotation of the earth so that he gave the money back so it never really happened. 

PorkRinds

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8001 on: February 09, 2016, 02:01:11 pm »

I hate government private life intrusiveness, but Manziel's family needs to get a court order declaring him unfit to be in charge of himself and check him into a mental health facility.

I think that once that is done, the ward is basically at the mercy of their parent(s) and the facility for up to 90 days.

Anyone actually know how this works for real?

While I'm on the subject, I went from disliking Manziel, to being disgusted by him, to now feeling afraid for him.  This dude isn't just spoiled.  He's being self destructive and is a ticking time bomb.  He honestly needs help.  Something is way wrong.  Bipolar?  I don't know but something.

I know how it works for real, and there's not a single chance in hell it happens. The person you're trying to commit basically has to admit to being suicidal in court. Beyond that, it isn't going to happen.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

PorkRinds

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8002 on: February 09, 2016, 02:04:18 pm »

Did I miss something?  Didn't Newton admit that he took the money, but Auburn and Cam got off because they couldn't prove Cam knew he took the money?  Isn't that SPECIFICALLY why the NCAA changed the rule to prohibit that? 

No clue on the Winston thing.  But I think it's funny that he took crab legs, did enough for FSU to pay the girl damages, but you're suggesting that he's innocent until proven guilty.  Well..he's no Brandon Allen in terms of kids who do the right thing, and I don't have to know if it was actually rape or not to know that.

Don't think it was ever proven that auburn actually paid.  Just that daddy had been shipping him around and 18-200k was the going price. I could be wrong about that though.

jesterzzn

• All-American Hogvillian
  • We should all try and smile more.
« Reply #8003 on: February 09, 2016, 02:10:11 pm »

Don't think it was ever proven that auburn actually paid.  Just that daddy had been shipping him around and 18-200k was the going price. I could be wrong about that though.

He used a large sum of money to make repairs to his church building and (I think) buy a truck for church use.  They basically used his church as a shelter to pay for Cam's commitment.  No IRS problems.  Perfectly legal.  Technically not an NCAA violation at the time.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

• Melyssa Forde. Simply One of the Greatest.
« Reply #8004 on: February 09, 2016, 02:07:23 pm »

I know how it works for real, and there's not a single chance in hell it happens. The person you're trying to commit basically has to admit to being suicidal in court. Beyond that, it isn't going to happen.

Well that blows for him.

I guess now it'll either be a countdown to destruction or maybe some sort of ''Saving Silverman'' type kidnapping as a last ditch effort.

theFlyingHog

« Reply #8005 on: February 09, 2016, 02:58:17 pm »

Wasn't a catch. Had it in his hand, came out of his hand and he trapped it with his elbow. Lost control, no catch.

Wildhog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8006 on: February 09, 2016, 03:02:27 pm »

The fact that there are so many people debating it is reason enough not to overturn it.  In no way was it incontrovertible.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Setting the edge since 1960
« Reply #8007 on: February 09, 2016, 03:42:17 pm »

Well that blows for him.

I guess now it'll either be a countdown to destruction or maybe some sort of ''Saving Silverman'' type kidnapping as a last ditch effort.

Just don't get Lee Ermy to participate in the kidnapping.  He'd fall in love with Manziel's bodyguard.

jchill

• Senior
« Reply #8008 on: February 09, 2016, 03:56:48 pm »

Never been a Cam fan since his days at Auburn. In my opinion, he comes from the Robert Griffin school of arrogance and self-entitlement. It bothers me when people like him are so self-absorbed. I admire his athletic ability, but do not like the image that he portrays.

kaki

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #8009 on: February 09, 2016, 04:05:36 pm »

Just saw on another site that the Panther Head Coach Ron Rivera's story/excuse for Cam's lack of effort to jump on the fumble as "positioning himself for the rebound".  Seems that was what he was doing when he tossed that laptop out of the window at Florida.  Worked better that time!

EastexHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #8010 on: February 09, 2016, 07:12:55 pm »

This is at least the second time you have made that claim.  I called you on it last time but you didn't respond.  Okay, let's try it again.  Here is my entire post history since joining this board in 2005.  By all means, go through it and point out the posts I have made that show I'm a racist. 

You keep saying it, so it should be easy for you.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?action=profile;u=5927;area=showposts;start=0

**crickets**

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8011 on: February 09, 2016, 07:18:54 pm »

Cam looked like an immature frontrunner.  Hoody, head down, one word or short responses.  Acted like a spoiled kid who just had his butt kicked and couldn't handle it.  Not the professional he is supposed to be.

goshog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #8012 on: February 09, 2016, 07:53:30 pm »

sevenof400

« Reply #8013 on: February 09, 2016, 08:18:34 pm »

Just don't get Lee Ermy to participate in the kidnapping.  He'd fall in love with Manziel's bodyguard.

What's your name, fatbody?

And on the ever so slight chance you haven't had some fun with this, check out the Sgt Hartman sound board at:
http://www.soundboardarchive.com/game/44/Sergeant-Hartman.html

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #8014 on: February 10, 2016, 07:51:32 am »

Cecil Newton Sr. appeared on ESPN's "First Take" on Thursday to discuss Cam Newton's ascension to MVP-caliber quarterback during the 2015 NFL season

"...I really deal with a lot of the critical things, the things off the field..."

Given Cam's behavior in the post-game presser, Cecil has some more work to do.

NoNC4Tubs

• Hogvillian
« Reply #8015 on: February 10, 2016, 12:13:57 pm »

Given Cam's behavior in the post-game presser, Cecil has some more work to do.

Cam must be a reflection of his father... 8)

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #8016 on: February 10, 2016, 06:34:59 pm »

Kicked out of Florida for stealing a laptop and was paid $200,000 to play at AU.

Definitely not crazy talk.

Winston and Manziel are worse, though, IMO.

Those last two you mention are indeed worse. Stealing a laptop is one thing BUT treating women the way the other two has done is inexcusable.

jswineberiaskirk

• Senior
  • Greatest of all time
« Reply #8017 on: February 11, 2016, 03:24:50 pm »

I don't think this has squat to do with race.  Hey, Peyton Manning didn't even shake Drew Brees's hand after their SB loss...just skated.  And other athletes have done similar things, and have more or less gotten away with it without much more than a mention of it in the news.   

What makes this different, IMO, is that people can't stand it when someone showboats to the point of showing their competitors' up, and then can't take it when they lose.  That's what irked me about it.  If you're going to dish it, then you have to be willing to take it.  What that post game PC showed me is that it's great when he's winning, and he's got the million dollar smile, dabbing, and whatever else.  But when he loses, you see a sore loser who can't deal with failure well.  Even after Sunday, I wouldn't have considered it a character flaw until I saw how he reacted to it today.   

And for those like me, who thought someone would talk some sense into him and have him apologize and own his mistake, today he proved that he's from the Tiger Woods school of stupidity, and they think they're above public scrutiny.  To me, that just solidifies that he's NOT apologetic, and even if he now comes out with an apology, it will be rehearsed and insincere.

I get it...you have to have self confidence to succeed.  You also use that when you lose with the mindset that you'll be back and get them next time, and be gracious in defeat.  He couldn't manage that when it mattered the most, and it will follow him for a long time.   

Sums it up nicely.

I like to listen to Wilbon on PTI during times like this. He is prone to play the race card a little, but usually is spot on. He RIPPED Cam on Monday. Said he was a baby and a front runner who couldn't take it after being hit in the mouth and that from all the years in covering sports and people like MJ who mattered a whole lot more in the sports world he'd hardly ever seen such a poor performance. And when he had he had always had a question about the person for a long time after. He then ripped him again the next day after Cam's second presser.

I never was a Cam fan but never hated him like some. Actually started to like him this year as he seemed to be really getting "it" as far as being an NFL QB. It was nice to see the progress. Now he has revealed himself to be what all the naysayers said.

MrKnowItAll

• Senior
« Reply #8018 on: February 11, 2016, 03:43:17 pm »

Andy Griffith Gives Cam Newton Advice On Winning And Losing

Hogarusa

« Reply #8019 on: February 11, 2016, 03:52:35 pm »

^thats outstanding.  Too bad didnt get to Andy saying "i'm disappointed in ya, I'm real disappointed in ya."

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #8020 on: February 11, 2016, 04:56:02 pm »

Well unfortunately, but not surprisingly, some folks want all the fame and glamour that comes with success but don't want the downside that also comes with being in the public light. The guy has no problem becoming his own brand and show boating when he has success. Fine, but only up to a point. In doing so you better understand that like it or not many of those same actions are going to paint a massive target on your back. And it only takes one or two slips like this to send you into the fires of negative public opinion.

I get that he didn't want to talk to the press. I also believe that at times the press seems to feel that every person they cover owe them their lives, or at least close to it. And yes, there can be some immensely stupid questions that are asked by members of the writing arts. Having said all that, however, ole Cammie better understand that in large part his prior actions set him up for this. His job and stardom has made him a natural interview virtually anywhere  and everywhere. He responded with an inane (paraphrasing) "Well I hate losing and anyone who does is a loser". Gosh Cam, did you really think that one up all by your lonesome? Any way that others can use this in the future or do you have a copyright on that bit of Einsteinian wit? Earth to CN: You ain't god and you aren't even Superman. You owe the public the courtesy of sticking around long enough to answer certain questions that the public wants to know. Stand defeat, as bitter as it might be, like a MAN and show courage even when you're hurting. That's what real winners do; that's what players who have real respect for the sport do. But then again, most of those guys didn't have the level or narcissistic hubris and immaturity as you. 

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8021 on: February 11, 2016, 07:28:24 pm »

Cam looked like an immature frontrunner.  Hoody, head down, one word or short responses.  Acted like a spoiled kid who just had his butt kicked and couldn't handle it.  Not the professional he is supposed to be.

Exactly…Those that say "sore" loser is fine needs to understand there is a difference between being a "sore" loser and acting professional after a loss. Even professionals hate to lose. It's how they act afterwards that makes them a mature individual or a spoiled kid and "sore loser".
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 10:49:08 am by Inhogswetrust »

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8022 on: February 14, 2016, 01:48:57 am »

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 02:14:48 am by Atlhogfan1 »

PorkRinds

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8023 on: February 14, 2016, 10:18:34 am »

African American writers(well not really in King's case) are going after Manning now.  They were disappointed Cam lost and angered with the criticism he received so they are now going after Manning. 

Former BLM member:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-peyton-manning-squeaky-clean-image-built-lies-article-1.2530395

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-super-bowl-50-highlights-racial-double-standard-nfl-article-1.2524445

African American Sporting News writer:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/time-for-manning-to-walk-away-with-whats-left-of-his-rep/ar-BBpsTqr?li=BBnbfcL

So much disappointment.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl-news/4693759-super-bowl-pick-straight-up-panthers-broncos-defense-cam-newton-peyton-manning

They're not wrong though. Compared to what manning did, Cam's antics were pretty tame.  You can't hold up manning as a symbol of how to be classy and ignore his past.

Dr. Starcs

• Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #8024 on: February 14, 2016, 10:23:02 am »

Both these guys are punks.

But it's ok. Go ahead and continue to ooh and ahh over them.

(To the lovers here)

Porked Tongue

• Global Moderator
  • Moderator Supremacist
« Reply #8025 on: February 14, 2016, 10:47:34 am »

Why make comparisons?

Dragging another down doesn't make the other look better.  It reeks of desperation and elitism.

A turd is a turd.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8026 on: February 14, 2016, 10:58:50 am »

Why make comparisons?

Dragging another down doesn't make the other look better.  It reeks of desperation and elitism.

A turd is a turd.

Yep. One of the most widely used forms of excuses…………………."deflection".

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8027 on: February 14, 2016, 11:19:55 am »

http://j.school/post/139247969165/cam-peyton-victims-of-social-media-race-war

Not that I usually agree with Whitlock.  He has a point this time. 

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/peyton-manning-newest-target-of-fake-internet-outrage-brigade-021316

Another writer we don't often care for summed it nicely:
"The entire article can best be summarized thusly: Look at what this white guy did twenty years ago! It's so unfair how people are treating Cam now!"

Yep. One of the most widely used forms of excuses…………………."deflection".
Why make comparisons?

A turd is a turd.

Agreed.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14776509/lawsuit-alleges-peyton-manning-tennessee-athletes-created-hostile-sexual-environment

Difference in a report and an opinion piece being used to deflect criticism.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 11:34:55 am by Atlhogfan1 »

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #8028 on: February 14, 2016, 11:33:37 am »

Yeah after winning the MVP of the NFL and taking his team to the Super Bowl, I'm sure his teammates looked at one post-game press conference and all respect for him went out the window.

How ridiculous. You obviously did not watch the game. Carolina's offense was completely rudderless all night. Your boy punked out....the last place on earth he wanted to be was on that football field. And if you think his teammates didn't notice him being a Class A puss by not going for that fumble, you're hopelessly wrong.

Why are there people on here defending Cam Newton anyway? Oh, yeah, I forgot.

oldhawg

« Reply #8029 on: February 14, 2016, 11:34:47 am »

What bothers me most is that Cam Newton missed an opportunity.

He is a superb athlete on the field (most of the time), and he is involved in some notable community action projects.

At the post-game press conference, if he would have just stepped forward, looked the camera and reporters in the eye and said,  "We got beat because the Bronco's handed me my butt all day.  I didn't expect it and it won't happen again.  I feel like crap because of the way we lost, so bear with me if I am a little terse with you today.  I'll talk more about the game later, in a few days."

Cam Newton had an opportunity to elevate his persona and the perception of his character ---- and he blew it.

Professor Psychosis

• Hogvillian
« Reply #8030 on: February 14, 2016, 11:47:49 am »

No matter what happens, the Broncos won Super Bowl 50.  And nothing will ever take that away from me as a fan.

This is why I follow teams and not individuals.

This is why I don't follow sportswriters.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #8031 on: February 14, 2016, 12:21:13 pm »

What bothers me most is that Cam Newton missed an opportunity.

He is a superb athlete on the field (most of the time), and he is involved in some notable community action projects.

At the post-game press conference, if he would have just stepped forward, looked the camera and reporters in the eye and said,  "We got beat because the Bronco's handed me my butt all day.  I didn't expect it and it won't happen again.  I feel like crap because of the way we lost, so bear with me if I am a little terse with you today.  I'll talk more about the game later, in a few days."

Cam Newton had an opportunity to elevate his persona and the perception of his character ---- and he blew it.

I've heard every excuse in the book at this point.  "The Bronco's players were behind the board ripping on him, and making fun of him."  "He just didn't know how to take a loss of that magnitude." 

There's a LONG history of players not even being willing to talk to the media after big losses.  I don't always agree with that either, but sometimes a "count to ten" type of situation is prudent. 

Thing is...I can accept that he was emotional and had a bad day at the mic.  What was horrible were the follow up comments in the days afterward.  It almost felt like he is in the WWF (now WWE I guess) and he is now TRYING to make himself out to be the villain for some reason. 

One thing is clear...he's NOT going to say what people WANT to hear, and I'm sure that's despite some coaching from some PR folks.  Again...it's like Tiger Woods relived, and now EVERY time he under performs, people are going to be that much harder on him.  He may THINK it won't get to him, but it's basically WRECKED the confidence that Tiger Woods possessed leading up to the Elin 9 iron incident and subsequent failure to address it well.

Tiger's pressers went from asking how he felt after he hit miracle 6 irons over water from out of bunkers 205 yards out, to questions of infidelity and why he chubbed a chip shot.  It just ate him up. 

I will not be surprised at all if Cam's never the same.  Seriously.  Everything that has come out now has been critical of him, and when the focus turns from always doing something positive to NOT doing something negative...it can have disastrous effects.   

sevenof400

« Reply #8032 on: February 14, 2016, 09:15:18 pm »

It's just another illustration as to why the stench that surrounds $Cam Newton will never dissipate.
From stolen laptops, to daddy with his hands out, to his all about me first attitude, Newton's many character shortcomings have been exposed for the world to see.

RyanMallettsEgo

• My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
« Reply #8033 on: February 15, 2016, 11:10:21 am »

How ridiculous. You obviously did not watch the game. Carolina's offense was completely rudderless all night. Your boy punked out....the last place on earth he wanted to be was on that football field. And if you think his teammates didn't notice him being a Class A puss by not going for that fumble, you're hopelessly wrong.

You obviously did not read my post. I referenced a whole body of work, not one game and a press conference.

You think one poor performance in the Super Bowl (to which Denver's defense is crowned with the credit, as they shut down every team in the playoffs, not just the Panthers) + a poor post-game press conference caused alllllllll respect from his teammates to go out the window? After the guy won an MVP and almost single-handedly (poor receivers, Stewart hurt for a couple games) took a pretty mediocre offense to the Super Bowl?

Did you ever play any sort of organized sport in which your stud guy didn't do well or looked pretty bad? Subsequently, did you and your teammates all of a sudden lose respect for him? If you think teammates turn on their leader after something like that, you're hopelessly lost. Just because the media reports something, that doesn't mean that's how it is.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/02/06/teammates-coaches-say-cam-newtons-success-not-by-accident/79929062/ Read that article and then tell me that based on one night, the respect from his teammates went "out the window" as one poster said.

And Cam isn't "my boy." I like football and he's a good football player, and he's fun to watch. He's not at Auburn anymore, and he can't hurt Arkansas. I don't live in the past. If that makes him "my boy," I guess the football world is full of "my boys."

PorkRinds

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8034 on: February 15, 2016, 11:13:41 am »

I'm going to bet in the heat of the game, they didn't really notice what happened on that one play.  Maybe afterwards, but not during the game.  Just sayin...

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8035 on: February 15, 2016, 11:19:18 am »

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14778342/reaction-peyton-manning-allegations-cam-newton-press-conference-nfl

"That racially, the filter of professional sports is this: Black players, who make up the majority (or in baseball, where the near majority is Latino-African American), are filtered through a predominately white season-ticket base and predominately white talk radio-broadcast media machine, and the result is distortion. Maybe the coverage of Newton is payback for an athlete who dared defenses all season to take him down and finally received his comeuppance. Maybe it's that special alchemy of admiration and hatred fans can have for black athletes. There were people who wanted to see Ali get his ass kicked, others who wanted to see him get his black ass kicked."

This thread could probably go to the Politics forum as it isn't just a football discussion. 

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8037 on: April 11, 2016, 07:19:11 am »

Brandon Marcello ‏@bmarcello 10h10 hours ago

ESPN’s Mark Schlereth takes shot at Cam Newton following Jordan Spieth’s Masters collapse http://sec.news/23nvhjJ

Schlereth, a former NFL player, compared Spieth’s demeanor in failure to another young star’s in a different sport: Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton.

After losing the Super Bowl, 24-10, to the Denver Broncos, Newton, abruptly exited his postgame press conference early. 

Spieth, on the other hand, not only had to face the media, but the golfer who usurped him as the most recent Master’s champion. Having won the tournament last year, Spieth was required to present the green jacket to 2016 winner Danny Willett (at least twice).

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
Cam Newton wipes out 95-yard touchdown by Panthers' defense
« Reply #8038 on: August 12, 2016, 08:14:13 am »

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/763966976209203200

Carolina linebacker A.J. Klein intercepted a pass by Baltimore quarterback Ryan Mallett and returned it 95 yards down the sideline for a touchdown.

But on the other sideline, Newton drew a flag for coming on the field to celebrate. Keeping players who aren't participants and coaches off the field is one of the NFL's six points of emphasis for its officials this season.

"I got too excited and the officials called me on it," Newton said during his postgame press conference. "I was hoping I would get away with just a warning, but we will learn from that and we won't make that kind of mistake again."

Newton was asked if he thought the penalty, which was for illegal substitution, was fair.

"I don't want to have discussions about things like that because we are learning from that and are moving on."

AllHog90

• Varsity
Re: Cam Newton wipes out 95-yard touchdown by Panthers' defense
« Reply #8039 on: August 12, 2016, 08:56:22 am »

I understand the basis of this all. However, there must be some discretion involved with these penalties. If someone from the sidelines is inbounds 50 yards behind the play, throw the flag but enforce on the next play.

This is a slippery slope for folks like Marc Curles that want to shape a season with their whistle.

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
Dannon drops Cam Newton as yogurt spokesman
« Reply #8040 on: October 06, 2017, 05:20:08 am »

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports 15h15 hours ago

Dannon drops Cam Newton as yogurt spokesman  https://trib.al/Lar8Ua3

Dannon will no longer use Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton as a spokeman for its Oikos yogurt, according to a statement from the company's senior director of external communications emailed to media outlets on Thursday.

The split between Newton and the company came after a comment by the former Auburn star during a press conference on Wednesday.

Newton was asked by Jourdan Rodrigue, the Panthers beat writer for the Charlotte Observer: "I know you take a lot of pride in seeing your receivers play well. Devin Funchess has seemed to really embrace the physicality of his routes and getting those extra yards. Does that give you a little bit of enjoyment to see him kind of truck-sticking people out there?"

Newton's immediate reply was: "It's funny to hear a female talking about routes."

Annie Costabile‏Verified account @AnnieCostabile

Me looking at @CameronNewton like 🤔

https://twitter.com/CameronNewton/status/916105280760541185
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 160 [161]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas