Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When will Hogville learn

Started by Piggfoot, September 29, 2017, 09:53:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: Hogwild on September 29, 2017, 10:06:43 am
You are what your record says you are.

I have never agreed with this quote.  If I told you I was 50-0 as a boxer in my amateur boxing league that sounds pretty good, my record says that I am a dominant boxer.  But if you find out later that I was 19  boxing against 13 year olds, then my record doesn't mean as much.  Your record reflects wins an losses, but it doesn't always say exactly how good you are. 

Roaringboar

Quote from: HogHomer on September 29, 2017, 12:35:14 pm
Draw a circle with a 250 mile radius with Clemson in the center. Now look at all the talent in that radius. Do the same for Arkansas.

That's not the point....the argument is that programs don't change.....that's absolutely the stupidest BS I've ever heard.....how many programs have risen AND FALLEN throughout the years......to say programs don't change just shows how uneducated some college football fans are in the area of college football....
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

jkstock04

Quote from: Piggfoot on September 29, 2017, 09:53:55 am
It is not the coach but the players. If you got'em you can be good if not you're gonna be mediocre. Houston Nutt and Bobby Petrino were/are horrible people and both benefited from the best players Arkansas has produced in the last 20 years. Just because we had a better record when they were here, it does not mean those records were 100% attributed to them. They won some great games but they lost some from lack of coaching as well.
Remember Reggie Fish? Remember failure to scoop and score?  Those were lost from a lack of coaching.
I know some of you haters are going to say but they brought those players here and I say BS. I will give you that some were not going to play for Nutt and came to Arkansas because of Petrino's offense. But that offense would not have been squat without the players. You say what about Petrino's Heisman player? Well I say just look at Louisville and the BB program. That stuff can't be isolated only to the BB program.
Load of BS. Petrinos "vaunted" first class you talk of was ranked 25-30 per usual. Joe Adams was the only true blue chip recruit.

It's in question whether or not Bielema would've gave those guys scholarship offers. It's highly questionable how they would have done under Bielema. I would wager not as well.

If Louisville football program is in trouble with the NCAA or FBI post a link to it. I haven't seen it yet.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Been10Hog

Quote from: tusked on September 29, 2017, 10:01:27 am
Can't disagree more.  In college the coaching is more important.  Sure you need players but the coaches make the program in the college game.
Nick Saban at Michigan State and Miami when he didn't have the best player at every position would disagree with you!

Been10Hog

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 29, 2017, 10:04:29 am
BP won without the best players and you know it.
Alabama and LSU would disagree

Pistol Pig Maravich

Draw a circle with a 250 mile radius with Clemson in the center. Now look at all the talent in that radius. Do the same for Arkansas.
So if Dabo Sweeney were at Arkansas we would be 1-2 right now and 12 -50( whatever Bert is) over the last 5 years?   I think not!!

Been10Hog

Quote from: MJ2 on September 29, 2017, 11:24:56 am
Coaching matters - look at the John L. Smith year - good roster - no coaching.

Look at the years after Danny Ford - Nutt took Fords players and won.
BP would have done better than JLS, but the Warren boys, Knile Davis and D.J. Williams were gone

HogHomer

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 29, 2017, 12:49:38 pm
Load of BS. Petrinos "vaunted" first class you talk of was ranked 25-30 per usual. Joe Adams was the only true blue chip recruit.

It's in question whether or not Bielema would've gave those guys scholarship offers. It's highly questionable how they would have done under Bielema. I would wager not as well.

If Louisville football program is in trouble with the NCAA or FBI post a link to it. I haven't seen it yet.
Other than the 2008 class when was the last time Arkansas produced 3 NFL WRs an NFL TE and an NFL RB in the same class?

buldozer

Good players follow great coaches wherever they go to coach. Once the coach raises the program to national prominence, recruiting blooms and the program rises more. Success builds success. Almost never will there be enough top players inside the boarders of AR to produce a championship team. A successful coach can attract those players required from outside of AR. Kids don't want to play for a losing program. Period

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on September 29, 2017, 10:03:58 am
Its actually both. Good players make average players look great and vice versa. If we're completely honest, Nutts players made him look far better than he was. He vastly under achieved during his time here. Imagine what petrino could've achieved with a qb like matt jones or a backfield with McFadden/jones/hillis.

Better question...imagine what CBB could've done with McFadden/Jones/Hillis.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

HogHomer

Quote from: buldozer on September 29, 2017, 01:00:38 pm
Good players follow great coaches wherever they go to coach. Once the coach raises the program to national prominence, recruiting blooms and the program rises more. Success builds success. Almost never will there be enough top players inside the boarders of AR to produce a championship team. A successful coach can attract those players required from outside of AR. Kids don't want to play for a losing program. Period
Then why wasn't our recruiting improving after the 2010 and 2011 season before Petrino's firing.

lakecityhog

I seem to remember Bama in the Shula years with GREAT players losing a lot of games and LSU pre-Saban had just as much or more talent than anyone in college football and were also-rans every year!

Yes, it take good talent to win National Championships. We or at least I am not expecting that, I am expecting our team to walk out on to the football field and look like they have been practicing for the opponent on the field that day.
We have PLENTY of talent to EXPECT to be competitive with Texas A&M, TCU, Missouri, Toledo, Texas Tech, Auburn, LSU and Mississippi State EVERY year. What we don't have right now is the coaching talent to get the best from our players.

It sickens me when Razorback "fans" put more stock in a mercenary football coach than they do in the players that work and strive to give their all to win. Blame the kids and adore the coach!!! :puke: :puke:

Been10Hog

If the coach is what matters then why did Nick Saban suddenly become a great coach when he was at LSU and Bama, but not so much at Michigan State and Miami Dolphins. What metamorphosis did Jimmie Johnson go through between jobs at Okie State and Miami. It's the players who play the game! Barry Switzer never outcoached anybody. He bought the best players and threw the ball out there.

Give me Barry Lunney Jr. as head coach with Nick Saban's roster over Nick Saban as head coach with our roster and I'll kick Nick's ass 8-9 times out of 10!

hogsanity

Saban at Arkansas would not have all the rings he has.

BB at Bama would not be 10-23 in the sec over 4 years and 1 game.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jkstock04

Quote from: HogHomer on September 29, 2017, 12:58:32 pm
Other than the 2008 class when was the last time Arkansas produced 3 NFL WRs an NFL TE and an NFL RB in the same class?
Couldn't tell ya. Are you of the same opinion Petrino was just lucky those guys weren't graded well by the recruiting services? And if Bielema had them we would've had the exact same or better results in 2010 and 2011?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hogtimes

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 29, 2017, 11:07:56 am
I always thought he was waiting for the Texas job but they have had two hires since. There has got to be something he wants, just can't figure out what it is..

It is simple, he wants to coach at TCU

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 29, 2017, 10:58:30 am
I wanted Patterson before we hired BB and still want him. I know TCU been hot lately but surely we could offer him more. Just find a way...

Patterson is already just below the $5 million mark in base salary at TCU ($4.75M).  Signed through the 2022 season.

There are other reasons he would never leave TCU for Arkansas; much better recruiting base is a big one, loves the Metroplex, particularly Ft. Worth, been there right at 20 years, just built a new home in last couple years, fans love him, university and athletic administration love.  And, he has had ten (10) 10+ winning season in his first 16 years at TCU.

At least two us would take Patterson, if it were possible.  You mention in a post below regarding UT's last two openings; folks I know in Austin don't think Patterson was ever considered for the job.  Which seems strange to me in one respect (a proven winner), but in another it's snobbishness wouldn't allow the UT administration to go after a subservient TCU head coach.

Oddly enough, I think had Texas hired Patterson four year ago, he would have the Horns in a class very near, Clemson, Bama, and OSU by now.  That's how much respect I have of him as a football coach.

007 License To Squeal

Coaches are responsible for recruiting....coaches are responsible for teaching.......coaches are responsible for developing player skills.......coaches are responsible for getting the most from the players THEY recruit.....

BB and crew have failed....
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Been10Hog

Larry Coker at Miami natty
Les Miles LSU natty   OSU Nada
Lou Holtz Notre Dame-natty, Ark, Minnesota, Carolina Nada
Nick LSU, Bama-natty; MSU Nada

SDZ_Hog

This over and over and over again. This is our downfall.   

hogsanity

Quote from: SDZ_Hog on September 29, 2017, 01:17:56 pm
This over and over and over again. This is our downfall.   

but many of the hogville experts want to ignore this. They want to ignore every study showing that proximity to talent makes a huge difference in who is on top AND stays on top in college football. They would have you believe that if Saban were at Biffalo or Ball St they would have all the NC's he has won at bama. 

They ignore the recruiting issue because IT CAN NOT BE FIXED and therefore means the Hogs are always going to be a program that may have one or 2 good years every decade, but will never be a sustained 9+ win a year program.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

East Clintwood

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 29, 2017, 11:34:37 am
We got to hit Texas and Fla harder cause we just don't turn out enough D-1 talent in state.

I agree but to do that and have any success we'll have to change our schemes.

Texas HS no longer turns out players that have been taught to fit into CBBs power football system.  They're almost all playing in spread systems and that's the only thing they've known ever since they started playing football. 

With the limited practice time that current rules allow, it's almost impossible to teach them the different basic schemes and techniques necessary for our system and then to also teach them the plays and adjustments necessary for each opponent.  Teams recruiting HS spread players to run a college spread system will always be ahead.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

GoHogs1091

Quote from: oldhog63 on September 29, 2017, 11:38:35 am
I think Texas and Louisiana. Florida is too far way and I think the returns justify the effort. As someone in an earlier thread said, we need to recruit DFW much more.

If it were me, the following would be the only places to focus on recruiting.

State of Arkansas

Tulsa, OK, Muskogee, OK, and Lawton, OK

North Texas area    Dallas/Fort Worth, Allen, McKinney, Tyler, Wichita Falls, and the Texas side of Texarkana

North Louisiana area    Monroe, Bastrop, Ruston, and Shreveport

Olive Branch, MS, and Greenville, MS

Kansas City, MO, St. Louis, MO, and Jefferson City, MO

Only two locations for Junior Colleges    The Junior Colleges in Kansas and Blinn, JC in Texas

je100

Quote from: hogsanity on September 29, 2017, 01:22:24 pm
but many of the hogville experts want to ignore this. They want to ignore every study showing that proximity to talent makes a huge difference in who is on top AND stays on top in college football. They would have you believe that if Saban were at Biffalo or Ball St they would have all the NC's he has won at bama. 

They ignore the recruiting issue because IT CAN NOT BE FIXED and therefore means the Hogs are always going to be a program that may have one or 2 good years every decade, but will never be a sustained 9+ win a year program.

Exactly.  Many posters want to list an exception here or there to prove their point that talent doesn't matter.  The problem is, that's why they call them exceptions. 

Sabah doesn't win a championship at Arkansas, anymore than he won one at Michigan State. 

He never even won a bowl game while he was at East Lansing.  Think about that.  Possibly the best coach in the history of college football couldn't win a bowl game at Michigan State in 5 years.  Only finished above 3rd in conference in one out of those five years.

jneal56

Quote from: 1highhog on September 29, 2017, 10:17:21 am
What have you been inhaling?  Reggie Fish and his failures against Florida were things a player learns earlier than high school football, and the scoop and score the same thing.  How do you blame that on the Coaches when the players have been doing that since they first learned football?  These two examples you used were pitiful examples. 

Hahahahahahahaha! Exactly what I was thinking. You get told so many times from Pop Warner to the Pros about both of those situations. Those were both mistakes by players. Fish was being too over zealous while the scoop and score that should have been happened because the players were just trying to secure the ball. They didn't process it fast enough that if had Ohio State recovered, it was still our ball.

I don't know all the answers and will not pretend like I do but the OP was a pretty funny read. I do know that what BB says rings true, you recruit your own problems. He has recruited this problem. 25 scholarship players per year, why not take a chance on 5 of those being superb can't miss recruits who may have a bit of a rough past, COACH THEM INTO UPSTANDING YOUNG MEN by surrounding them with the other 20 recruits who have been taught how to respect others from the time they were born. Those players tend to already value academics as well so it is no wonder why our graduation rates are through the roof now and I am proud that they are.

What I would like to see is CBB take the chance on a handful each year and completely change their lives by giving them the opportunity to learn from coaches who do things the right way as well as the majority of their fellow team mates. I work in the DYS system here in Arkansas and I can tell you one thing, most of these "troubled" teens are only troubled because they have no structure. They crave it. I see it every day. I'm not saying CBB go and recruit kids in jail, but when he states he doesn't waste time on recruits who may have an issue with respect and discipline, then he is missing the opportunity to completely change the life of a young man. That is being a Coach, Mentor, Father Figure and Leader all in one.

"At least we are moral"

jneal56

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on September 29, 2017, 12:43:58 pm
I have never agreed with this quote.  If I told you I was 50-0 as a boxer in my amateur boxing league that sounds pretty good, my record says that I am a dominant boxer.  But if you find out later that I was 19  boxing against 13 year olds, then my record doesn't mean as much.  Your record reflects wins an losses, but it doesn't always say exactly how good you are. 

I disagree! I'd say your record states that there had better not be any 13 year olds piss you off!!!!!
"At least we are moral"

hogsanity

Quote from: jneal56 on September 29, 2017, 02:32:27 pm

why not take a chance on 5 of those being superb can't miss recruits who may have a bit of a rough past,

Assuming BB is not recruiting those players, can't miss recruits are still being recruited by just about everyone, so it is doubtful we get them.

oldhog63

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 29, 2017, 02:13:28 pm
If it were me, the following would be the only places to focus on recruiting.

State of Arkansas

Tulsa, OK, Muskogee, OK, and Lawton, OK

North Texas area    Dallas/Fort Worth, Allen, McKinney, Tyler, Wichita Falls, and the Texas side of Texarkana

North Louisiana area    Monroe, Bastrop, Ruston, and Shreveport

Olive Branch, MS, and Greenville, MS

Kansas City, MO, St. Louis, MO, and Jefferson City, MO

Only two locations for Junior Colleges    The Junior Colleges in Kansas and Blinn, JC in Texas
Exactly....chasing kids coast to coast is a waste of resources. And my guess is that the student body is mostly from this same geographic area.

tbhogfan

It is not the coach but the players. If you got'em you can be good if not you're gonna be mediocre. Houston Nutt and Bobby Petrino were/are horrible people and both benefited from the best players Arkansas has produced in the last 20 years. Just because we had a better record when they were here, it does not mean those records were 100% attributed to them. They won some great games but they lost some from lack of coaching as well.
Remember Reggie Fish? Remember failure to scoop and score?  Those were lost from a lack of coaching.
I know some of you haters are going to say but they brought those players here and I say BS. I will give you that some were not going to play for Nutt and came to Arkansas because of Petrino's offense. But that offense would not have been squat without the players. You say what about Petrino's Heisman player? Well I say just look at Louisville and the BB program. That stuff can't be isolated only to the BB program.
When they players can't or won't execute the fundamentals, that's on the coach.
Go Hogs!

LJHOG

Quote from: devildoghawg on September 29, 2017, 11:28:24 am
I don't agree, at all.  Boise State is a prime example of that.
An example of what??  Getting a month to prep for a game so you can upset a better team that doesn't want to be there.
Boise St. would be another Vandy in the SEC.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogfan14 on September 29, 2017, 10:04:02 am
Disagree. Robb Smith looked great when he had several NFL players. No matter how many times we change DCs with our current players, they still aren't going to be that good.

Yea but who recruited those players?  In the end it's still the coach, players don't get fired.

Sweet Feet

September 29, 2017, 03:03:13 pm #81 Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 03:13:32 pm by Sweet Feet
So what you are saying is Nick Saban and Urban Meyer are really mediocre because they have the best athletes who chose to play with them and to run their system?

lakecityhog

So, the Miami Dolphins had lousy players? Really???

How many of you actually believe that if Saban had our team since last spring, with his assistants, that we would be 1-2 right now and look like a Chinese Fire Drill??? No we probably would not challenge for the NC, but we would damn sure be better than we are right now.

Some of you guys are so single minded, either be an NC type team or be nothing, no in-between.
MOST Razorback fans would be thrilled to average 8 -9  wins per year for the next 10 years.

Sweet Feet

This post is so laughable. Anything to discredit Nutt and Petrino for some fans. Players do make a hell of a difference, ask Chizik and Coker. But coaching is also a major part of success as well. Did Boise have better players than Oklahoma in 2006? Did Utah have better players than Alabama in 2008? Did Arkansas overall have better players than the National Champs in 2007? This is just silly.

jneal56

Quote from: hogsanity on September 29, 2017, 02:36:16 pm
Assuming BB is not recruiting those players, can't miss recruits are still being recruited by just about everyone, so it is doubtful we get them.

So you're saying we should Houston Nutt them and not even attempt? Enjoy the 6 win seasons.
"At least we are moral"

Sweet Feet

Quote from: LJHOG on September 29, 2017, 02:56:18 pm
An example of what??  Getting a month to prep for a game so you can upset a better team that doesn't want to be there.
Boise St. would be another Vandy in the SEC.
If Oklahoma was the "Better Team", they wouldn't have lost and needed the "They didn't wanna be there" copout excuse. Also how many games vs top 10 teams and major bowl games has Vandy won? If boise was in the east today, they would beat vandy, kentucky, south carolina, and Missouri. If they were in the SEC under Peterson, they would compete for an SEC title game. Remember when they beat Georgia at Georgia in 2011 and UGA won the SEC East?

jneal56

Quote from: Sweet Feet on September 29, 2017, 03:30:46 pm
If Oklahoma was the "Better Team", they wouldn't have lost and needed the "They didn't wanna be there" copout excuse. Also how many games vs top 10 teams and major bowl games has Vandy won? If boise was in the east today, they would beat vandy, kentucky, south carolina, and Missouri. If they were in the SEC under Peterson, they would compete for an SEC title game. Remember when they beat Georgia at Georgia in 2011 and UGA won the SEC East?

You can't use facts on HV......they just mess you up!!
"At least we are moral"

EulessHog

It's not the players, it's not the coaches.

It's Hogville!

Anything can be totally screwed!
Go Hogs Go!

RazorbackAlways

PonderinHog

We need to recruit the Atlantic Ocean harder ???

PonderinHog

Quote from: hogsanity on September 29, 2017, 01:04:09 pm

BB at Bama would not be 10-23 in the sec over 4 years and 1 game.
Yeah, they would have fired him before he got to that point.

lakecityhog

Now, take that same circle and put in the names of ALL of the D1 teams recruiting in that self same area then add in the teams like USC, Ohio state, Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn State, Oklahoma and a few other that do recruit well nationally and see what the recruiting competition is really like!

1   Alabama(52)   
2   Clemson(8)   
3   Oklahoma(1)   
4   Penn State   
5   USC   
6   Washington   
7   Georgia   
8   Michigan   
9   TCU   
10   Wisconsin   
11   Ohio State   
12   Virginia Tech   
13   Auburn   
14   Miami   
15   Oklahoma State   
16   Washington State   
17   Louisville   
18   South Florida   
19   San Diego State   
20   Utah   
21   Florida   
22   Notre Dame   
23   West Virginia   
24   Mississippi State   
25   LSU

Now look again at the current top 25 and see just how many recruiting juggernauts are in there.
Utah, a real hot bed of HS players
Wisconsin?
Virginia Tech?
Washington State
Mississippi State
San Diego State, I mean really? SDSU is a destination spot for HS players??

Oops, I left out that hotbed of talent, Stillwater Oklahoma!!!

So much fail in the OP that it is simply pathetic.

Piggfoot

Quote from: lakecityhog on September 29, 2017, 07:21:33 pm

Now, take that same circle and put in the names of ALL of the D1 teams recruiting in that self same area then add in the teams like USC, Ohio state, Michigan, Notre Dame, Penn State, Oklahoma and a few other that do recruit well nationally and see what the recruiting competition is really like!

1   Alabama(52)   
2   Clemson(8)   
3   Oklahoma(1)   
4   Penn State   
5   USC   
6   Washington   
7   Georgia   
8   Michigan   
9   TCU   
10   Wisconsin   
11   Ohio State   
12   Virginia Tech   
13   Auburn   
14   Miami   
15   Oklahoma State   
16   Washington State   
17   Louisville   
18   South Florida   
19   San Diego State   
20   Utah   
21   Florida   
22   Notre Dame   
23   West Virginia   
24   Mississippi State   
25   LSU

Now look again at the current top 25 and see just how many recruiting juggernauts are in there.
Utah, a real hot bed of HS players
Wisconsin?
Virginia Tech?
Washington State
Mississippi State
San Diego State, I mean really? SDSU is a destination spot for HS players??

Oops, I left out that hotbed of talent, Stillwater Oklahoma!!!

So much fail in the OP that it is simply pathetic.
Your example is a gross failure. You can not take a single year and use that as an accurate example. Neither can you use teams from other conferences. To compare Arkansas you must use the teams in the SEC.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

IronHog

Quote from: hogsanity on September 29, 2017, 01:22:24 pm

Recruiting is an excuse for NCs and SEC titles

IT IS NOT AN EXCUSE FOR POOR FG KICKING OR CONTINUED MELTDOWNS VS ATM
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Been10Hog on September 29, 2017, 01:03:55 pm
If the coach is what matters then why did Nick Saban suddenly become a great coach when he was at LSU and Bama, but not so much at Michigan State and Miami Dolphins. What metamorphosis did Jimmie Johnson go through between jobs at Okie State and Miami. It's the players who play the game! Barry Switzer never outcoached anybody. He bought the best players and threw the ball out there.

Give me Barry Lunney Jr. as head coach with Nick Saban's roster over Nick Saban as head coach with our roster and I'll kick Nick's ass 8-9 times out of 10!

Nick Saban didn't start having dominant defenses until after he coached with the following Coach for 1 season at LSU.

http://www.chiefs.com/team/coaches/gary-gibbs/be32eeea-67a7-48df-a167-55d16a99309c

lakecityhog

foot, we have already proved that there is plenty of talent in Louisiana after LSU takes first pick. We have proved that IF you make good evaluations you can find a Trey Flowers left behind by Bama and Auburn.

According to Hogville the stars really don't matter cause many of them are actually busts when they get to college.

LZH

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on September 29, 2017, 12:43:58 pm

I am waaaaay too sober to understand WTH you're talking about.

Captain Morgan

Do the same with Oklahoma State. Recruiting is a weak excuse. Plenty of other schools have worse disadvantages than Arkansas

Swestwill66

There is a formula. You need a mad scientist to perfect it!

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: #1Fan on September 29, 2017, 11:26:16 am
Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n.  ~ Bum Phillips On Bear Bryant
you huge Paul Bryant, Sr. fans don't realize that the Bear coached back in the day where he would, could and did stockpile top shelf talent. Paul Bryant had 3 teams of starters just waiting their turn to play. As did Darrell Royal did the same thing at Texas, Ara Parseghian at Notre Dame, Woody Hayes at Ohio St and a few others. Why do you think they won every year ?
The long Grey line will never fail our country.