• 382,935 Topics
• 21,414 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: There was a time...  (Read 1600 times)

Hoggie17

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
There was a time...
« on: September 29, 2017, 08:31:56 am »

When Arkansas fans thought if we replace HDN we can make a run at winning SECW and a NC.  Now the thinking is, by way to many fans, if we replace CBB we can win half our games.  I hope this not long term thinking.

pigz

• Hogvillian
  • I am the liquor
Re: There was a time...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 08:36:06 am »

The Kansas City Shuffle

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Ex-Trumpet

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 08:36:30 am »

When Arkansas fans thought if we replace HDN we can make a run at winning SECW and a NC.  Now the thinking is, by way to many fans, if we replace CBB we can win half our games.  I hope this not long term thinking.

So, I guess what your saying is that if we re-hire HDN the Hogs would be better off?  :)

Hoggie17

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 08:45:18 am »

So, I guess what your saying is that if we re-hire HDN the Hogs would be better off?  :)
No, don't try to read anything into what I posted.  Just read the post, there is no hidden agenda.

Albert Einswine

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 08:49:59 am »

This will appear heretical coming from an old darksider like me. But I had this conversation with a coworker this morning. Nutt could come in here with his preacher routine tomorrow and probably generate more wins in the next two years with these players than Brett and Co. will.

Not because he's a good coach, but because he leads a pretty decent sham tent revival. It all goes sideways after that.

waphill

• Senior
  • Crazy Joe!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 08:55:11 am »

The Kansas City Shuffle

love that movie

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 08:58:58 am »

Razorback football is like the Movie Ground Hog Day!!!! The pain, bad calls , dropped passes and hurt players continue every year !

Albert Einswine

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 09:01:57 am »

Hoggie17

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 09:03:56 am »

This will appear heretical coming from an old darksider like me. But I had this conversation with a coworker this morning. Nutt could come in here with his preacher routine tomorrow and probably generate more wins in the next two years with these players than Brett and Co. will.

Not because he's a good coach, but because he leads a pretty decent sham tent revival. It all goes sideways after that.
I believe that Nutt could win 8 or 9 games the next 2 years. I think both  Nutt or BP would be an improvement over what we have now. It makes me sad to see that Ark is down at the bottom of the SEC with Vandy and KY 

Broyles even in his 80's did a better job than Long is doing, and I am not alone in that thinking. Many Hog fans are saying the same thing.

Hogwild

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 09:06:18 am »

10 years ago, I was in Tiger Stadium when we defeated the eventually national champions.  I like many felt with the new AD and a new coach that the time had come to put mediocrity behind us, and new era was beginning. 

1 Athletic Director, 3 Head Coaches and 73 SEC games later, we haven't even managed to muster 30 conference victories. Coupled with losses to UL-Monroe, Toledo, Rutgers, Tech, ... many are hoping for mediocrity, because the alternative is complete failure.

BassinHawg

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 09:23:29 am »

There was a time, I could drink my cares away
And drown out all of the heartaches
That hurt me night and day
When the thought of WINS came crashing through
I'd have one more
But now the whiskey ain't workin' anymore

Sorry, couldn't resist with the thread title.

phadedhawg

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 09:31:31 am »

I'd have one more

I had the same thought

hogcard1964

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 09:34:17 am »

It would be a step up if we re-hired Nutt right now.  ...and unfortunately I'm serious. 

Hoggie17

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 09:40:27 am »

It would be a step up if we re-hired Nutt right now.  ...and unfortunately I'm serious.
I agree. but he has made to many enemies.

HogFaninMemphis

• Hogvillian
  • "Introibo ad altare Dei" -Psalm 42 (43)
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 09:41:33 am »

I believe that Nutt could win 8 or 9 games the next 2 years. I think both  Nutt or BP would be an improvement over what we have now. It makes me sad to see that Ark is down at the bottom of the SEC with Vandy and KY 

Broyles even in his 80's did a better job than Long is doing, and I am not alone in that thinking. Many Hog fans are saying the same thing.
I think context is the biggest reason people are saying the things about the program being average moving forward.
The landscape of college football is different now. The "average" programs in the SEC now have a much deeper divide between them and the elite of the country. It's not that Arkansas can't get there, but Arkansas should not be expected to get there. I hope we do, but I don't expect it. Realistic expectations are what will save Bielema's job this year, but realistic expectations I think are 7-8 wins each year, not potentially 5-6 wins.
Houston Nutt won games in a much different college football environment. Petrino is a hell of a coach, but I don't want him back no matter what.

Hoggie17

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2017, 10:01:12 am »

There was a time we could beat Oklahoma in the Orange bowl, there was a time when we could win in muti OT's and recently we could have a  11 win season, now our coach has us at the bottom of the SEC with Vandy and KY.

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 10:05:30 am »

I just wish some would agree that BP had the best 3 year run since joining the SEC and that a coach LIKE BP on the hill could do it again.

Hoggie17

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2017, 10:06:20 am »

I just wish some would agree that BP had the best 3 year run since joining the SEC and that a coach LIKE BP on the hill could do it again.
This

hogcard1964

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2017, 10:22:35 am »

It's hard to admit when you make a mistake, but it's always better to simply be honest.  Internally everyone has always known it was a mistake, but they were hoping they would have been able to justify his firing if or when Bielema had the team back at 11 wins. They now know it's not going to happen.

Hoggie17

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2017, 11:58:51 am »

There was a time when the AD wanted Hogs to win, O for the good ole days.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is there a problem here?
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2017, 01:25:56 pm »

Too many fans equate the athletic dept just with football. Long is doing a fine job running the athletic dept.

Ex-Trumpet

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2017, 01:37:19 pm »

Too many fans equate the athletic dept just with football. Long is doing a fine job running the athletic dept.

Probably because football is the main revenue generator.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is there a problem here?
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2017, 02:40:38 pm »

Probably because football is the main revenue generator.

And he is using the revenue well in running the entire dpt, which is his job. Also, UofA is one of a very few places where mens bb AND baseball pay for themselves.

Porkette

• Senior
  • He is Risen
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2017, 02:43:46 pm »

Well, it's human nature that expectations are going to get lowered after bad things have happened. I remember after that 3-9 season, how great it felt just to win a few games and get back to a bowl.

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian
  • ...and a Scantron, with a souped-up pencil...
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2017, 02:48:01 pm »

I agree 1000%.

EastexHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2017, 02:48:09 pm »

The people who said we could become one of the best football programs in the nation if we dumped Nutt and got an outstanding coach were right.  I was one of them.  But...that was dang near a whole decade ago so I can understand how everyone has forgotten it.

Hoggie17

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2017, 02:54:23 pm »

In retrospect, HDN was better than we game him credit. It May be that we were a little spoiled.

hogcard1964

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2017, 03:01:56 pm »

What has he done that's been "fine"?

...and don't mention the "facilities" or the stadium expansion.  An A.D. factors in very little on these matters. 

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2017, 03:13:06 pm »

Well, it's human nature that expectations are going to get lowered after bad things have happened. I remember after that 3-9 season, how great it felt just to win a few games and get back to a bowl.
I know it will feel great if we get a bowl this year.  going into the year I thought it was a given, now it seems out of reach.

Its pretty apparent that we are the vandy of the west at this point.  it is what it is.  The only way to change that perspective is to win a lot of games.

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian
  • ...and a Scantron, with a souped-up pencil...
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2017, 03:17:00 pm »

What has he done that's been "fine"?

...and don't mention the "facilities" or the stadium expansion.  An A.D. factors in very little on these matters. 

What about Broyles regarding facilities?

Hoggie17

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2017, 03:17:31 pm »

There was a time I could hardly wait until the football season started. This season I didn't add the ESPN package to Sling, I knew.  I will Add it the first of Jan 2018 for basketball and keep it until the end of baseball. If CBB is here for next season I will do the same.

Albert Einswine

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2017, 03:48:45 pm »

In retrospect, HDN was better than we game him credit. It May be that we were a little spoiled.

Can't disagree with this statement enough. You have missed the mark atrociously.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Official Jeff Long Darksider!
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2017, 03:49:58 pm »

I think context is the biggest reason people are saying the things about the program being average moving forward.
The landscape of college football is different now. The "average" programs in the SEC now have a much deeper divide between them and the elite of the country. It's not that Arkansas can't get there, but Arkansas should not be expected to get there. I hope we do, but I don't expect it. Realistic expectations are what will save Bielema's job this year, but realistic expectations I think are 7-8 wins each year, not potentially 5-6 wins.
Houston Nutt won games in a much different college football environment. Petrino is a hell of a coach, but I don't want him back no matter what.

Poppycock.

In the 60's, 70's, and 80's, The Hog football team almost always finished the season ranked in the top 25.

Under Houston Nutt, the Hogs f9inished in the top 25 a few years.

Under Petrino, the hogs finished $12 in 2010 and #5 in 2011.

Saying we shouldn't be expected to get there is nonsense because we HAVE been there.

I'd take Bobby Petrino back in a New York Minute and I'm far from alone in that.

Hoggie17

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2017, 04:26:14 pm »

Poppycock.

In the 60's, 70's, and 80's, The Hog football team almost always finished the season ranked in the top 25.

Saying we shouldn't be expected to get there is nonsense because we HAVE been there.

I'd take Bobby Petrino back in a New York Minute and I'm far from alone in that.
I was sick when Long fired him. I had been listening to the talking heads most of that fateful day back in April 2012, they were saying we would keep him. The warm glow that the 11 win season was keeping warm me like a glass of Black Jack.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 05:08:04 pm by Hoggie17 »

jcharkansas

• Senior
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2017, 04:37:47 pm »

You're right, I have no doubt Nutt could win more games with this group than Beliema

jcharkansas

• Senior
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2017, 04:40:17 pm »

Poppycock.

I was pissed too, and I'm right there with ya , I'd take him back so quick, if only that was an option. It was so nice being considered one of the 3 best teams in the west while it lasted.

1highhog

• 1964, the year of the hog.
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2017, 04:55:04 pm »

This is exactly right.  Nutt is not a better coach than Brett but his revival style "precoaching" does work wonders for about 2 seasons then gets long in the tooth on players, that's when you have some who see through his shtick and call him out as being like a used car salesman.

elksnort

• Lucy, 10-11-2004 - 10-30-2015
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2017, 04:56:11 pm »

football is King.

Piggiebacker

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2017, 05:48:11 pm »

Done with Dale.

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2017, 05:53:04 pm »

I was sick when Long fired him. I had been listening to the talking heads most of that fateful day back in April 2012, they were saying we would keep him. The warm glow that the 11 win season was keeping warm me like a glass of Black Jack.
NYJMSU...Finebaum just the other day called him a scumbag. No one and I repeat no one in the media said he should be retained.

Wayne Watson

• Denizen Reliquary Reviewer
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • RESIDENT INSPECTOR
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2017, 06:09:20 pm »

Poppycock.

Well guess what.  That liar is not coming back and neither is HDN.  You do not lie to your boss, put a state trooper's job in question and expect to be retained.  You don't get told by the Cotton Bowl that Arkansas would not be in invited if BP was the coach.  If BP was such a great coach, why didn't he leave here with a SEC title win or a SEC West title.

There was a time when the U of A came first.  And for me it still does.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2017, 06:10:16 pm »

NYJMSU...Finebaum just the other day called him a scumbag. No one and I repeat no one in the media said he should be retained.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2012/04/09/smart-money-says-arkansas-should-keep-petrino/#1546d9fa621c

tusked

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2017, 06:15:41 pm »

Anybody else feel like the UA athletic department is peeing down fans legs while telling them it's raining?

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2017, 06:18:36 pm »

Anybody else feel like the UA athletic department is peeing down fans legs while telling them it's raining?
I get the feeling that there are no easy answers, so all they can do is try to maintain support for the program and hope for the best.

tusked

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2017, 06:18:49 pm »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2012/04/09/smart-money-says-arkansas-should-keep-petrino/#1546d9fa621c

Very interesting part of the article.

Petrino also runs a financially efficient team. Arkansas spent $24.1 million on football in 2010, the fourth-most spent by an SEC team. But of those four teams, Arkansas easily spent the least per win. The Razorbacks spent less than $2.5 million per regular season victory, while Auburn cleared $3 million and Alabama and Florida each spent over $3.5 million per win. In fact, only three SEC teams spent less per win in 2010. Over the last two seasons, the team's total value has risen 59% to $89 million, eighth-highest in college football.

Hoggie17

« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2017, 06:31:25 pm »

More that one talking head thought the U of A would keep him, I don't make BS up and my memory is  as good as yours. Should be retained and they thought the U of A would keep him are 2 different things. 

oldhog63

• Varsity
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2017, 06:42:57 pm »

I hated hated hated that Long fired Petrino, but at the time I thought it was the right thing to do and still believe that today. How Long has handled the program since has been nothing short of incompetent. Any AD that puts their university in a position he has should be replaced.

Ex-Trumpet

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2017, 06:50:35 pm »

Well guess what.  That liar is not coming back and neither is HDN.  You do not lie to your boss, put a state trooper's job in question and expect to be retained.  You don't get told by the Cotton Bowl that Arkansas would not be in invited if BP was the coach.  If BP was such a great coach, why didn't he leave here with a SEC title win or a SEC West title.

There was a time when the U of A came first.  And for me it still does.

Little did we know then that a Cotton Bowl berth was just as likely with Petrino as without him!

Wayne Watson

• Denizen Reliquary Reviewer
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • RESIDENT INSPECTOR
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2017, 06:54:00 pm »

Little did we know then that a Cotton Bowl berth was just as likely with Petrino as without him!

True.  But that's all he got us.  BP was a flash in the pan.

johnny cash

• Thanks for nothing Jeff Long.
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2017, 07:04:25 pm »

I'd have one more

Damn this song is stuck in my head.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas