• 382,941 Topics
• 21,414 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Charlie Strong  (Read 659 times)

Lard

• All-American Hogvillian
Charlie Strong
« on: September 27, 2017, 08:29:07 am »

What is everyone's thoughts on him as a coach?  he was a good assistant, then had good performance at Louisville  especially in seasons 3 and 4.  Of course Texas was a trainwreck for him.  I don't know what exactly happened at Texas - was it him, was it them, was it a combination?  One story I read said that when he came in much of the recruiting class decommitted so he went to Florida (where he is very well connected) and rounded out his class.  This pissed off the Texas high school coaches and doomed him for the future at Texas.  I've also read that the Texas program was a mess. 

I think Charlie is an intriguing prospect for Arkansas should we have a future vacancy for HC.  He has ties to two major fertile recruiting areas, Florida and Texas.  He has proven he can build a winner at one place but has failed at a more high profile place. 

I work in business and have to hire professionals.  Many people in my field want to know (what has your production been at your previous stops) and that is definately important to evaluate.  However I have found that a more important question is what did you learn from your failures.  If someone can relate to me how they failed at something and the lessons they took away from it thats a plus for me.  Then I want to guage how much  piss and vinegar they have left in the tank. 

I just wonder if Charlie Strong might be a great candidate to look at given that he's proven he can be successfull but now he's fresh off a failure and maybe he has a fire to succeed like never before?

Lard

Re: Charlie Strong
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 08:31:47 am »

Sorry...i see another thread already posted....I missed it on my initial scan.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Piggfoot

• Hog Table top cooker
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 08:36:34 am »

What is everyone's thoughts on him as a coach?  he was a good assistant, then had good performance at Louisville  especially in seasons 3 and 4.  Of course Texas was a trainwreck for him.  I don't know what exactly happened at Texas - was it him, was it them, was it a combination?  One story I read said that when he came in much of the recruiting class decommitted so he went to Florida (where he is very well connected) and rounded out his class.  This pissed off the Texas high school coaches and doomed him for the future at Texas.  I've also read that the Texas program was a mess. 

I think Charlie is an intriguing prospect for Arkansas should we have a future vacancy for HC.  He has ties to two major fertile recruiting areas, Florida and Texas.  He has proven he can build a winner at one place but has failed at a more high profile place. 

I work in business and have to hire professionals.  Many people in my field want to know (what has your production been at your previous stops) and that is definately important to evaluate.  However I have found that a more important question is what did you learn from your failures.  If someone can relate to me how they failed at something and the lessons they took away from it thats a plus for me.  Then I want to guage how much  piss and vinegar they have left in the tank. 

I just wonder if Charlie Strong might be a great candidate to look at given that he's proven he can be successfull but now he's fresh off a failure and maybe he has a fire to succeed like never before?
Charlie Strong is a good football coach. Don't know if he is head coach material. I think he will do better with liberal support and liberal fan base. Texas was too conservative for him. I think Arkansas would be too conservative for him. Having a white wife would not sit well with many people. Not saying that's right but that's how I think people are on both sides.

HoggyCat

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 07:06:56 pm »

Well, if Texas HS coaches are pissed at him, why even ask the question??  We gotta hit Texas hard!!

HiggiePiggy

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hope...
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 07:31:25 pm »

Charlie Strong is a good football coach. Don't know if he is head coach material. I think he will do better with liberal support and liberal fan base. Texas was too conservative for him. I think Arkansas would be too conservative for him. Having a white wife would not sit well with many people. Not saying that's right but that's how I think people are on both sides.

He is head coach material. I just don't think he is a P5 coach.  He does well in smaller conferences.

Roaringboar

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 08:47:53 pm »

I think at Texas there were too many people other than the coach trying to call the shots......Let's face it, Strong didn't have absolute free reign there like he did in Louisville. He had to abide by their rules and do what the boosters wanted. It's what makes coaching at a Blue Blood so hard. Bama isn't like that with Saban and OSU isn't with Meyer, but then again they are proven winners.......Strong wasn't a Saban, Meyer, or even a Harbaugh......He got pushed around way too much....

With that being said, I say he'd be a good hire, but then again I just don't know. He's a bit like the Bilema of the ACC, he wasn't there when Clemson, Miami, and (though they are struggling this season) Florida State were returning to dynasty status.... Strong isn't really a great proven coach.....Yeah he sure as heck did a great job with Louisville, but then again he left before the ACC became what it is now. I think we need someone either who's young, new, and hungry who can pay fairly cheap with a chance to make more if he wins games or if we go for a big name, let's get a huge homerun hire who's proven like Miles or Kelley......In fact.......

I sorta think Arkansas should sniff around Bob Stoops a bit......I know it sounds crazy, but I really believe there was alot more to that situation than they led on........I think there was something that divided Stoops and OU and it was just so large he decided it was time to get out.....Maybe a disagreement about his assisstants or how he should recruit....Who knows.....but I think there was more to that case than people let on, and I think he stayed quiet about it because he is a man of integrity. He realized this wasn't the job for him, so, hey, I'm out the door. Maybe Arkansas could lure him in. If we can pay Bert $4 million a year to loose 7-8 games, maybe we can pay Stoops $4-5 million to win 9 or 10......I mean, I know it sounds crazy.....But you never know......

PORKULATOR

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • knows how to 'dunk the crumpets'
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 09:41:59 pm »

Don't make me post the picture of Bret and Charlie stand there and Bret giving the horns down symbol. If you want to hire somebody because you don't like Bret's ability to win, why hire somebody that he's beaten?

hamsam

• The Home of REAL Football!
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 10:33:23 pm »

How many CS threads are we going to start??? He's terrible. He had the EASIEST job in America and got shitcanned!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas