• 382,507 Topics
• 21,391 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Reviving a 4 year old thread  (Read 1366 times)

houstonoutgusin

• Band Nerd
Reviving a 4 year old thread
« on: September 25, 2017, 11:27:37 am »

Several of you asked that we wait 4 years after the 2013 season to revisit the BB vs Gus debate.  I've waited.  Now, I'm reviving my old thread that somehow got moved to the SEC Sports section over the years:

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=551547.0

It's interesting how many people were really drinking the cool-aid on BB and said that Gus couldn't do the job.
 Meanwhile we are sub-500 overall and Auburn is ranked 13th in the nation.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Reviving a 4 year old thread
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 11:29:56 am »

Gus will not coach at Arkansas, sorry to burst your bubble. Oh and btw, his fans aren't too happy with him. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Agent S

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 11:33:07 am »

Gus will not coach at Arkansas, sorry to burst your bubble. Oh and btw, his fans aren't too happy with him. 

Gus may not coach here, but Bret couldn’t hold his jock. Sorry to burst your bubble playa.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 11:35:33 am »

Gus is also is a superior situation in terms of program prestige and recruiting. Not really apples to apples.

PorkRinds

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 11:36:43 am »

Gus may not coach here, but Bret couldn’t hold his jock. Sorry to burst your bubble playa.

I think they're both really similar actually. Both guys that stick with a "system" to a fault. Both guys who make head scratching decisions at times.  And both guys who have underperformed. Gus' lack of ability to coach up QBs is very similar to CBB and the offensive line as well.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 11:36:50 am »

Agent S stand for Agent stupid?  What did you take from my post that I'm pumping Bielema or even comparing the two? 

I didn't think viewing football schools and coaching situation was a complex discussion, but this board proves on a daily basis that it truly it more complex than most can handle

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 11:37:50 am »

I think they're both really similar actually. Both guys that stick with a "system" to a fault. Both guys who make head scratching decisions at times.  And both guys who have underperformed. Gus' lack of ability to coach up QBs is very similar to CBB and the offensive line as well.

Gus is pulling a nut.  Brought in a new OC to please the fans, yet gives the oc little to no power.  Sound familiar?

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 11:40:12 am »

Several of you asked that we wait 4 years after the 2013 season to revisit the BB vs Gus debate.  I've waited.  Now, I'm reviving my old thread that somehow got moved to the SEC Sports section over the years:

It's interesting how many people were really drinking the cool-aid on BB and said that Gus couldn't do the job.

Same opinion as then.  Gus got a better job.  He would not have had the personnel at Arkansas in 13 to run his offense UNLESS he had gotten a JC athlete to put at qb.  Our defense was still awful.  From that point, would have just depended on recruiting and the staff Gus would have brought to Arkansas.  Not saying he would have been worse but no guarantee he would have been demonstrably better. 

Athog

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 11:40:35 am »

Not interested!

code red

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 11:43:54 am »

Gus is a better fit at Arkansas than CBB.  CBB lacks a fundamental understanding on the tradition at Arkansas.  For example.  While playing in a golf tourny this weekend (In Missouri) several Mizzou fans commented the same .  The comment was..."CBB was never the right fit at Arkansas."  I think we all wanted him to be the right fit, but 10-23 says otherwise.

Mo_Better_Hogs

• All-American Hogvillian
  • DE FENSE!! DE FENSE!!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 11:45:13 am »

Agent S stand for Agent stupid?  What did you take from my post that I'm pumping Bielema or even comparing the two? 

I didn't think viewing football schools and coaching situation was a complex discussion, but this board proves on a daily basis that it truly it more complex than most can handle

That's true. So Hogville.

Look, I'm no longer a fan of Bielema and the program he's running. But for those people who are bragging about saying 5 years ago "he's no good, he won't work"...just step back from your genius high horse. That's like me flipping a coin and proclaiming how great I am because it landed on tails.

hawganatic

• Senior
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 11:50:33 am »

With the exception of his first season at Auburn, Gus has grossly underachieved every season he's been the head coach at Auburn.

No reason to think he would have done any better here than BB has.

porkrindjimmy

• Senior
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 12:23:59 pm »

Not interested!

Some people with big wallets are interested...

PRJ

HoginMemphis

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 12:25:23 pm »

You are not too quick on the uptake. Plenty quick on the reply though...to your detriment. Gus coming to Arkansas now to coach is not his point, in the least. He is referring to decision made 5 years ago and what has transpired since.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 12:28:00 pm »

PRJ

Do tell.. I've not seen any deep pocket supporter talk about hiring Gus.. maybe not as connected as you.. so please share your info...

houstonoutgusin

• Band Nerd
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 12:28:15 pm »

So Gus is underachieving now at no 13 in the nation?  I hope we can start underachieving like that.

In year 5 you have your players, your recruits. Where you started from is becoming irrelevant at this point.

Results don't lie. BB has the second worst record of active SEC coaches vs the SEC West. Gus has the second best.

The argument that Gus would not have done any better than BB just isn't logical.

houstonoutgusin

• Band Nerd
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 12:33:23 pm »

And no, I am not starting a "hire Gus" thread. I am saying 5 years ago a lot of folks had on blinders and the wrong decision was made. People at the time said "let's wait til later and discuss". It's later. And along the way a monster buyout was added which poured salt on the wound.

go hogues

• You're at an eight but we need you at a two.
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 12:34:27 pm »

The main upside with Gus is that he knows the state. I think that's a HUGE part of the Arkansas job...sustaining it successfully, anyway.

I think even if there were mutual interest, it would have to stop there, purely based on his previous tenure here and the animosity created since.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 12:44:40 pm »

Gus will not coach at Arkansas, Oh and btw, his fans aren't too happy with him. 

Things are more like they are today than they have ever been.

sickboy

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2017, 12:48:42 pm »

There's just so slippery a slope to hiring a guy like Gus. If you want to move forward, hiring Gus sure does feel like moving backwards. And that's a potential recipe for finding ourselves in the same place we've been since we joined the SEC.

I think hiring someone fresh is the smarter way to go.

tee1up2par

• Varsity
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2017, 12:51:59 pm »

PRJ

And how would you know this?  I'm from FS and most always pull for the hometown guy but Gus ain't it.  He can't get it together with double the talent we have and is wearing out his welcome there.  Outside of his 1st year on the Plains, what has he done to 1make anyone think he could achieve success here.  You do realize how close Auburn is to Atlanta's hot bed of recruiting.  Consistent top 10 classes yet rumblings continue.  Doesn't shout success here in the Natural State to me.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2017, 01:05:13 pm »

So Gus is underachieving now at no 13 in the nation?  I hope we can start underachieving like that.

In year 5 you have your players, your recruits. Where you started from is becoming irrelevant at this point.

Results don't lie. BB has the second worst record of active SEC coaches vs the SEC West. Gus has the second best.

The argument that Gus would not have done any better than BB just isn't logical.

Lets dive into those ranking there, unless you are completely shoving an agenda. 

Their wins come from Ga Southern, stuggled against Mercer, and Mizzou.  To think Arkansas would be favored against Mizzou right now.  They lost to clemson while clemson was breaking in a new qb.  They are ranked 13th because they were over inflated to begin the season just like Auburn ALWAYS is and thats kept them there now.  They are also being anointed a contender because they took a baylor trasnfer who had not completed a full season yet.  He was anointed the heisman winner before ever taking a snap at Auburn, yet now auburn fans are saying Gus is squandering his talent. 

Rankings are pointless really still at this point.  Auburn has played 1 team that is of any decent caliber.  I'd still say the right decision was made 5 years ago and Auburns success or lack of will not change that. 

gchamblee

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2017, 01:47:28 pm »

And no, I am not starting a "hire Gus" thread. I am saying 5 years ago a lot of folks had on blinders and the wrong decision was made. People at the time said "let's wait til later and discuss". It's later. And along the way a monster buyout was added which poured salt on the wound.

If gus wasn't such a slimeball he may have had a chance at the job. You have 45 posts and have waited in the shadows for 4 years to be able to come back and revive one of your threads where you talk about how big of a gus fan you are. Good for you man, good for you. Im happy you have such a feeling of accomplishment. I hope you get a free breakfast at Denny's or something.

gchamblee

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2017, 01:48:02 pm »

The main upside with Gus is that he knows the state. I think that's a HUGE part of the Arkansas job...sustaining it successfully, anyway.

I think even if there were mutual interest, it would have to stop there, purely based on his previous tenure here and the animosity created since.

His biggest disadvantage is that the state knows him.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2017, 01:48:27 pm »

If gus wasn't such a slimeball he may have had a chance at the job. You have 45 posts and have waited in the shadows for 4 years to be able to come back and revive one of your threads where you talk about how big of a gus fan you are. Good for you man, good for you. Im happy you have such a feeling of accomplishment. I hope you get a free breakfast at Denny's or something.

Or a second screen name

porkrindjimmy

• Senior
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2017, 02:04:01 pm »

And how would you know this?  I'm from FS and most always pull for the hometown guy but Gus ain't it.  He can't get it together with double the talent we have and is wearing out his welcome there.  Outside of his 1st year on the Plains, what has he done to 1make anyone think he could achieve success here.  You do realize how close Auburn is to Atlanta's hot bed of recruiting.  Consistent top 10 classes yet rumblings continue.  Doesn't shout success here in the Natural State to me.

I never said Gus was the answer. I don't want him here.

I am just telling you that there is a few money guys that think Gus is the answer.

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

• Senior
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2017, 02:05:28 pm »

And one more thing...there is a certain element of money that want an Arkansas man in every corner of the athletic department.

PRJ

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 02:27:33 pm »

Gus loves Jesus and Football.

ModestoHOG63

• Varsity
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2017, 02:33:51 pm »

For this to even be a conversation, must get rid of AD LONG.   Gus doesn't care much for GPAs and "doing the right thing" for the present Athletic Director to even consider.  All a mute point until we change the overall leadership.

drizzle

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2017, 02:46:28 pm »

Interesting hypothetical: what if the two schools had hired opposite coaches?  I think you could argue each would be slightly (but not much) better off. 

I could believe that Gus would have started off stronger with Petrino leftovers than Bret did, given that both would be offense-focused.  Several people on here believe given Petrino's success that a (I don't want to say "gimmicky") unique or readily-identifiable offensive system can prove more successful than an old-school traditional offense like Bret wants to run, especially given that Arkansas is more likely to produce kids that don't check all of the athletic boxes for the ideal FB player but often produces kids with some of them such that they need to be slotted into the right system.  (Small but fast kids, for example.)

Similarly, I could see Bret's system working better at a school with built-in advantages for recruiting, like Auburn, and given Chizik's background as a DC I think it would have matched up better with Chris Ash's defensive ideas.  I think he also would have won fairly quickly at Auburn, and it would be easier to recruit both coaches and top tier linemen to Auburn such that he could have pushed out more wins there than here for sure.  I also think since his offense pre-Dan Enos was more RB focused, he wouldn't have risen and fallen like Gus when a QB didn't work out as well, he'd have had a better shot to hold steady with someone who could complete basic passes and with a line that could maul people.

I'm not sure i fully think that's how it would have worked out, but it's interesting to speculate on it.  (And yes, I realize that I did not directly address the point of the thread as posted.)

houstonoutgusin

• Band Nerd
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2017, 02:48:14 pm »

Nope, no second screen name for me. And no, haven't been just sitting around waiting for this day to come. I visit the site often just don't post often.  Been a member for around 10 years. It amazes me that some people equate Razorback intelligence or relevancy of the poster to the number of posts you have, when in my opinion the opposite is usually more accurate.

It also amazes me that people can't see facts right in front of their face. Their arguments are made based on opinions, name calling, etc and avoid solid things like wins and losses.

Fact - we are a sub- .500 team under BB, sub .225 vs SEC West, and still people say we hired the right guy 5 years ago. Facts, people, look at the facts.

jcbville

• Senior
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2017, 02:50:40 pm »

I could see the point if Gus was a better coach. But he isnt good enough to warrant a necro thread.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2017, 02:54:37 pm »

Interesting hypothetical: what if the two schools had hired opposite coaches?  I think you could argue each would be slightly (but not much) better off. 

I could believe that Gus would have started off stronger with Petrino leftovers than Bret did, given that both would be offense-focused.  Several people on here believe given Petrino's success that a (I don't want to say "gimmicky") unique or readily-identifiable offensive system can prove more successful than an old-school traditional offense like Bret wants to run, especially given that Arkansas is more likely to produce kids that don't check all of the athletic boxes for the ideal FB player but often produces kids with some of them such that they need to be slotted into the right system.  (Small but fast kids, for example.)

Similarly, I could see Bret's system working better at a school with built-in advantages for recruiting, like Auburn, and given Chizik's background as a DC I think it would have matched up better with Chris Ash's defensive ideas.  I think he also would have won fairly quickly at Auburn, and it would be easier to recruit both coaches and top tier linemen to Auburn such that he could have pushed out more wins there than here for sure.  I also think since his offense pre-Dan Enos was more RB focused, he wouldn't have risen and fallen like Gus when a QB didn't work out as well, he'd have had a better shot to hold steady with someone who could complete basic passes and with a line that could maul people.

I'm not sure i fully think that's how it would have worked out, but it's interesting to speculate on it.  (And yes, I realize that I did not directly address the point of the thread as posted.)

Petrino ran a pro style offense with the philosophy of closing games with big RBs and a power running game.  Nothing gimmicky.  Closer to BB than Gus.   The depth wasn't there by 2013.   

Gus would have had to have found a qb for 13 or kept Mitchell around and made do. 

hoghearted

• 2007 and 2009 Rolex DP Champions. Are you driven?
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2017, 03:08:11 pm »

PRJ

ugh, please, no Gus.

If we're going to make a change, let's look for new blood.

Hoggie17

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2017, 03:19:56 pm »

Gus a better coach than BB. but he has no intention of coaching here. Of course thats not saying a lot CBB is just not SEC material. Proof will be whan leaves/fired he will never be offered a good coaching job.

porkrindjimmy

• Senior
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2017, 03:26:39 pm »

There is already a movement afoot from a certain faction..within that faction, Gus has his lovers. Now, will the certain faction have success from this movement? I don't know. I know they are hopping mad. But they thought they had Nutt behind the 8 ball a couple of times and he slithered away. Frank could sway some folks. We will see if Jeff can do the same. These guys see that there are going to be alot of coaching changes in the next year or two, and they don't want us stuck...

I don't want Gus Malzahn here. No way, no how. He has been exposed as just another coach. Needs to be a perfect hire and Gus isn't it.

PRJ

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2017, 03:29:47 pm »

And one more thing...there is a certain element of money that want an Arkansas man in every corner of the athletic department.

PRJ
No doubt, and there is equal and probably greater money that doesn't want him, that's why he was never considered last time.

Porkette

• Senior
  • He is Risen
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2017, 03:32:22 pm »

In terms of the decision not to try to hire him in 2013, didn't some of that have to do with PR within the state, because he was the Arkansas State coach at the time? I definitely heard that but don't know for sure whether it was true.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2017, 03:32:58 pm »

His biggest disadvantage is that the state knows him.

haha, now that's funny...

porkrindjimmy

• Senior
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2017, 03:43:16 pm »

Ronnie Floyd ruined any chance Gus ever had as being coach here. That plus he has been exposed as a mediocre head coach. Gus needs a smaller program. One where he can rack up wins over really bad schools and then every once in awhile, scare the daylights out of a major program....and knock one off from time to time and then he is a hero...

That or go back to being an OC...

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

• Senior
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2017, 03:44:21 pm »

No doubt, and there is equal and probably greater money that doesn't want him, that's why he was never considered last time.

Rice, that has nothing to do with Gus. More of bring back the good ole boy network type thing.

PRJ

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2017, 03:47:49 pm »

Rice, that has nothing to do with Gus. More of bring back the good ole boy network type thing.

PRJ

Those that didn't want him were more of the GOBN than the small chicken owner and Floyd.

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2017, 03:57:27 pm »

I am not posting this as fact as it is just my opinion.  Well, one fact first.  onebadrubi was so quick to slam Gus he failed to mention that Auburn was breaking in a new QB just as Clemson was.  Seems we tend to favor our side of the story to a fault sometimes.

My opinion:  Gus is a very good HC.  Has fire in his belly, works hard at his job, operates a scheme that has had much success.  He has had a problem that surprises me he hasn't quickly solved and that has hurt his won/loss record and my opinion of him.  Jeremy Johnson was supposed to be the next Cam.  Was never even close.  So that was a failure.  Tried another one or maybe two then Sean White was gonna be CAM.  Couldn't hold Cam's jock.  3 years now Gus hasn't had a QB who could operate his system and that isn't excuseable.  Maybe Stidman is that Guy.  If he is, look out.  Gus could operate  just about any spread offense and be successful.  Maybe he is bull headed.  Gus would win 8 to 10 annually here with twice every 10 years giving us a chance to be special.  Special means 11 or 12 victories but maybe not even then winning the SEC West.  We could go 11-1 regular season and not win the West.  I'd take that.

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2017, 04:00:43 pm »

Right now, this season, the Second place SEC West team could be 11-1 except no one is good enough to do it or they didn't schedule right to take advantage. 

Hoginsavga

• Varsity
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2017, 04:08:49 pm »

CBB simply outsmarted Gus in their first year at their respective jobs. All coaches get a pass for their first year so CBB wins three games while greedy Gus takes his team to the NC game and loses a close one to FL State. CBB put himself in a position where he could only go up while Gus is facing an almost certain downturn.

CBB was looking like a potential hero to many Hog fans after 2014 and 2015 with improved records. Gus was beginning to look like a dog to many Auburn fans because he couldn't come close to his heroic first year although his records were as good or better than AR.

Then last year the anvil dropped on CBB with the Auburn, Mizzo and Va Tech games. Had he just won against Mizzo and VA Tech the Auburn loss would have been forgiven and CBB would have been deemed a hero in AR. Gus, meanwhile is still in the Auburn doghouse because of his first year that he hasn't come very close to achieving again.

Yes, some of this post is a little sarcastic but I'm just trying to lighten the topic a little.

Ex-Trumpet

• When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2017, 04:11:25 pm »

Interesting to ponder.  Bielema may have built a real powerhouse at Auburn--enough talent to overcome his lack of game-time adjustments?

And, Gus may have succeeded enough with the Petrino recruits to lure in some different talent here moving forward.

Polecat

• Hogvillian
  • WPS!
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2017, 04:27:29 pm »

Things are more like they are today than they have ever been.

Of all the posts about coaches, this is one of them

razorsharptusk

• Fightin' Lumberjacks!
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2017, 04:34:06 pm »

The record doesn't lie.   10 - 24.

longtimeHogfan

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2017, 04:40:09 pm »

Don't want Hootie and don't want Gussie.   :-[

DoctorSusscrofa

• Hogvillian
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2017, 04:44:55 pm »

Gus is a better fit at Arkansas than CBB.  CBB lacks a fundamental understanding on the tradition at Arkansas.  For example.  While playing in a golf tourny this weekend (In Missouri) several Mizzou fans commented the same .  The comment was..."CBB was never the right fit at Arkansas."  I think we all wanted him to be the right fit, but 10-23 says otherwise.

So CBB is clueless about our traditions but Mizzou fans are tuned in perfectly, huh?  That makes perfect sense.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas