Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If you could choose our next coach, who would it be?

Started by Hogs49ers, September 17, 2017, 12:26:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Of the coaching options below, who would you choose to be the next Head Hog?

Brent Venables
23 (23.2%)
Mike Leach
6 (6.1%)
Jeff Brohm
34 (34.3%)
P.J. Fleck
11 (11.1%)
Mike Norvell
25 (25.3%)

Total Members Voted: 98

LZH

Rosie O'Donnell, with Ellen Degeneres and Whoopi Goldberg as coordinators. At least they have more balls than the coaches we have now.

Grunt

The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: BigE_23 on September 17, 2017, 08:16:33 am
I don't understand why you people don't know the name Mike MacIntyre.

Went undefeated at San Jose State, and has turned Colorado (yes, Colorado) into a contender in the PAC-12

He's on the tier of experienced coaches we could land and outbid based on what he's getting paid now.

My second choice would be Brohm, and Norvell 3rd. But those are interchangeable

Good call, I do like the Colorado coach.
SCREW Vandy!

HotlantaHog

I wouldn't have picked Dabo at Clemson. Probably wouldn't have picked Saban at LSU-- he had one really good year of five at Michigan State --by the time Alabama got him after LSU, it was pretty clear he was a superior college coach.

The point being, I am not sure I want to pick. I would like to have whoever does pick be really smart and strategic about it -- pick someone who the entire university is going to say five years later is perfect for Arkansas....

Not sure any of the past four coaching hires have been good. CBB? We are in year 5 and outlook is cloudy at best. Coach Smiles? What were we thinking? Petrino? Excellent offensive coach and great play-caller, with obvious ethical issues that even Petrino fans like me have to admit to. Nutt? Great motivator, not much of a recruiter and awful hiring of assistants, a bit too much of a narcissist at the expense of the team...

I am fine with picking someone who is an up and comer -- that's who Arkansas is likely to get ... or an assistant coach ... or even a recent high school coach ... Take a chance on someone who is brilliant but doesn't have much of a resume....

I'd rather be skeptical on Day 1 and like 5 years later, than love the pick on Day 1 and wonder about it five years later.

Pork Ranger

Be interesting to watch Brohm the next two weeks against Harbaugh and Fleck. His stock could really soar

PonderinHog

Hogs49ers

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on September 17, 2017, 02:35:33 pm
Be interesting to watch Brohm the next two weeks against Harbaugh and Fleck. His stock could really soar

Yah, I really like Fleck!  He was one of the options that I put up because I really like him, not because I have heard his name popping up around Hogville. 

I have heard some people say that we would have no shot at him if he has big success at Minn., but I do not think that is true.
SCREW Vandy!

casken

Quote from: cypert2 on September 17, 2017, 07:44:02 am
We got the same chance of Franklin leaving Penn St to come here as we have Saban leaving Bama to come here. Zero chance.

No doubt...this is a wish list thread. That ship has sailed I am sure as many of the names offered here. But...if I could chose...FRanklin.
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

casken

Quote from: Broadway Rob on September 17, 2017, 07:44:54 am
Leave a top 10 job where he's extremely successful and could make the playoffs if the chips fall a certain way, to come to Arkansas, a top 30 job at best, where... ??? (I'll stop there)

The list above is of somewhat realistic candidates.  Except for Fleck.  He's not realistic for a few years at least.  Even then, he jumps to top 10 job if he's successful at Minn.  Notre Dame or Michigan, if Harbaugh goes back to the NFL.

I say Mike Norvell. 

If you could chose...the thread begins. But realistically I imagine the list is quite small considering our reason history with pedigreed coaches. More realistic is probably a young up and comer...other than that we probably oughta be content to let the season play out.
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

FineAsSwine

Quote from: LZH on September 17, 2017, 11:37:48 am
Rosie O'Donnell, with Ellen Degeneres and Whoopi Goldberg as coordinators. At least they have more balls than the coaches we have now.

That's a really low blow
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hogs49ers

Seems pretty evenly split between Venables, Brohm, and Norvell.  I know this is a pretty small sample size, but it seems like no matter who we choose, our fanbase will be split as usual.  I wish we could get that HR hire that 99% of the fans agree with that would unite our entire fanbase.  I feel like that guy would have to be Chip Kelley or Gruden.  Highly unlikely, but I can hope.

SCREW Vandy!

The Hawg Marshal

The Hogfather

I don't get the Norvell love.  Went 8-5 last season with Fuente's boys and is 2-0 this season with an 8-point win over ULM and a 3-point win over an overrated, sleepwalking UCLA team that went 4-8 last season.  Fleck is ok, but I think his act will grow tired very quickly and I don't think that gimmicky stuff will work in the SEC.