• 389,007 Topics
• 22,020 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: War Memorial  (Read 450 times)

zsanfusa

• Varsity
War Memorial
« on: September 14, 2017, 12:35:47 pm »

Does anyone else think it's feasible for A-State to pick up an empty War Memorial Stadium after the Razorbacks abandon it in the next couple of years.  I can only see tons of positives for ASU picking up games here.  Expanding the fan base, extending recruiting into Central AR, and if you ever play a big home game, like Miami scheduled this year (unfortune hurricane situation, no pun intended) War Memorial would undoubtly be at capacity, allowing ASU to sell an extra 25,000 tickets.  What say you my Hogville brethern?

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
Re: War Memorial
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 12:44:52 pm »

Nope, they want home games as well.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Seminole Indian

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 01:33:43 pm »

Unless they are coming to play UALR, or LR buys an opponent for them ...no.

Will not play the other instate schools in Little Rock.

GolfNut57

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 07:35:11 pm »

ASU has traveled to WMS in the past expecting to see bigger crowds than they usually got at home in Jonesboro only to be disappointed. You can forget ASU being willing to take over for the hogs in LR. The ONLY way that happens is if WMS offers the venue free of charge and the city of Little Rock makes it worth their while.

Smart money is on the idea that WMS is headed for an eventual wrecking ball. It is either that or UALR using it 10 years down the road when they FINALLY get football restarted back at their school.

factchecker

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 07:52:23 pm »

1. Nobody is playing in wms unless they are getting paid.  WMS can't afford to pay anybody seeing that they are using Razorback money and taxes to fund their stadium.

2. The last time state played in front of the great WMS fans was in 2006 vs. Okie Lite.  They had an amazing 20k in attendance.

You can see packed stands behind Gundy in the picture below:

3. state, like every other athletic program has their own stadium and finances to worry about-  They don't want to play in WMS either:
"We're very open to entertaining any offer, but for us to just go pay rent some place, that's not going to happen," ASU Athletic Director Terry Mohajir said. "It has to be financially beneficial to help strengthen our program."

ASU and UAPB had a oral agreement to play its 2013 game there, but it was moved to Jonesboro so ASU could play its first game under then-Coach Bryan Harsin on campus. Mohajir and Crass haven't talked about playing a future game in central Arkansas since.

"We have great supporters in central Arkansas, but we're going to make our decisions on how it benefits Arkansas State and our athletic department," Mohajir said.

4. Even, central arkansas thinks playing in WMS is a bad idea.

UCA Athletic Director Brad Teague said the last time his school played at War Memorial in 2008 resulted in a "big financial loss."

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/oct/17/war-memorial-not-an-easy-sell-20141017/

5. state fans think that WMS should pay them and/or their opponent to play a neutral site game in Little Rock:

http://scout.com/college/arkansas-state/Article/An-Open-Letter-to-the-leadership-in-Central-Arkansas-wanting-Tro-106158494

IF little rock fans want a true home team then they better start pumping money into the LRU athletic department.  Their poor students are footing the bill enough.

holeinthewall

• Senior
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 06:25:34 am »

On top of all that WMS is a dump. Oversized high school stadium. Should be torn down if it isn't going to be used.

hawkhawg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 11:36:20 pm »

Nobody in central Arkansas wants to watch an Astate game.

asuato

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 12:57:28 am »

Which is why we won't play there.

GolfNut57

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 12:59:19 am »

Plenty in central AR want to watch ASU games. Just not in the dump aka WMS.

holeinthewall

• Senior
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 07:01:44 am »

Plenty in central AR want to watch ASU games. Just not in the dump aka WMS.

Drive around Bryant and there are as many ASU plates and stickers on cars as there are UA.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 08:14:39 am »

Drive around Bryant and there are as many ASU plates and stickers on cars as there are UA.

Driver around Jonesboro and there are as many UofA plates and stickers as ASU.

GolfNut57

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 05:23:27 pm »

Driver around Jonesboro and there are as many UofA plates and stickers as ASU.

So what? The previous point was no one in central AR wanted to watch ASU play football and was refuted. Nothing to do with how many plates of which school is in Jonesboro.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 05:38:07 pm »

So what? The previous point was no one in central AR wanted to watch ASU play football and was refuted. Nothing to do with how many plates of which school is in Jonesboro.

How does saying there are more plates in Bryant refute anything? Do you think he meant literally, or figuratively?

GolfNut57

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 08:08:51 pm »

How does saying there are more plates in Bryant refute anything? Do you think he meant literally, or figuratively?

Saying there are just as many ASU plates as u of a plates in Bryant refutes the previous posters suggestion that no one in central Arkansas wants to watch ASU play football. Had nothing to do with Jonesboro.... until you brought it up as a jab at ASU in their hometown.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 07:01:01 am »

Saying there are just as many ASU plates as u of a plates in Bryant refutes the previous posters suggestion that no one in central Arkansas wants to watch ASU play football. Had nothing to do with Jonesboro.... until you brought it up as a jab at ASU in their hometown.

Ok, fill up WMS with all those central Arkansas fans alone, lol. I think his point is the audience would be very small, did you think he meant absolutely "zero"?

GolfNut57

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 07:14:06 am »

Ok, fill up WMS with all those central Arkansas fans alone, lol. I think his point is the audience would be very small, did you think he meant absolutely "zero"?

I don't recall anyone denying the crowds would be less than full at WMS. Mainly because......as has been said............it is a real dump. And like some pig fans in NW AR....some Red Wolf fans in NE AR aren't going to drive to Little Rock to see a "home" game there either. And btw, how long has it been since the pigs sold out a OOC game at WMS?

Also btw, your previous post about the number of pig plates in Jonesboro still had no relevance to the other post. Nice try at deflecting though.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 07:27:21 am »

I don't recall anyone denying the crowds would be less than full at WMS. Mainly because......as has been said............it is a real dump. And like some pig fans in NW AR....some Red Wolf fans in NE AR aren't going to drive to Little Rock to see a "home" game there either. And btw, how long has it been since the pigs sold out a OOC game at WMS?

Also btw, your previous post about the number of pig plates in Jonesboro still had no relevance to the other post. Nice try at deflecting though.

It was pointing out plates in a city doesn't equate to attendance at a game, which I think was the original post on this.

Seminole Indian

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2017, 07:40:54 am »

I get a kick out of this A-State, Razorback banter, that has been going on since i was a student at A-State.

It was going on then despite the fact A-State was a small college team playing teams like Trinity College, Lamar Tech, while the Razorbacks were a fixture in the top 20 and playing in the "game of the century". 

Both were at the top of their respective divisions in college football.

All I know for a fact is that in the ensuing years A-State's program has slowly climbed the college football ladder and are now considered a good mid-major program, that expects to go to a bowl game every year.  They now actually get to play many of the teams that use to be viewed from afar.

All these years later the Razorbacks program  is still one of the top programs in all of college football, but since joining the SEC are not enjoying the success  that was taken for granted all those years ago. That has been a source of frustration for their fans.

The banter is the same but the circumstances are certainly not.

The things you guys are discussing does not change this reality.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2017, 08:41:27 am »

I would like to see it but I just don't believe it will happen without UALR getting Football.

hawkhawg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2017, 11:32:04 am »

I get a kick out of this A-State, Razorback banter, that has been going on since i was a student at A-State.

It was going on then despite the fact A-State was a small college team playing teams like Trinity College, Lamar Tech, while the Razorbacks were a fixture in the top 20 and playing in the "game of the century". 

Both were at the top of their respective divisions in college football.

All I know for a fact is that in the ensuing years A-State's program has slowly climbed the college football ladder and are now considered a good mid-major program, that expects to go to a bowl game every year.  They now actually get to play many of the teams that use to be viewed from afar.

All these years later the Razorbacks program  is still one of the top programs in all of college football, but since joining the SEC are not enjoying the success  that was taken for granted all those years ago. That has been a source of frustration for their fans.

The banter is the same but the circumstances are certainly not.

The things you guys are discussing does not change this reality.

I agree that ASU has become a good mid-major school.  I would say that they are no doubt one of the top 15 best mid major programs in the country.  But them being good does not change the fact that there are not many A-state fans in central Arkansas and it would not be a good idea to play a game at War Memorial.   I don't think that ASU is even on most Central Arkansas fans radar.  I would say that Central Arkansas cares more about UAPB, UCA, or even UAM.  Those schools might benefit from playing at War Memorial.

Seminole Indian

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 12:05:08 pm »

I agree that ASU has become a good mid-major school.  I would say that they are no doubt one of the top 15 best mid major programs in the country.  But them being good does not change the fact that there are not many A-state fans in central Arkansas and it would not be a good idea to play a game at War Memorial.   I don't think that ASU is even on most Central Arkansas fans radar.  I would say that Central Arkansas cares more about UAPB, UCA, or even UAM.  Those schools might benefit from playing at War Memorial.
Yes but some "facts" matter more than others and the "fact" is they are by any measurable a solid G5 program, including attendance, with no options to be anything else.

That 9 out of 10 people in Arkansas are Razorback fans, or UCA fans, does not change their reality, any more than it can change the reality of life in the SEC for the Razorbacks.

Sweet Feet

• Senior
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2017, 01:42:35 pm »

The obvious answer is UALR football if its possible. Give the biggest/capital city of Arkansas it's own football team like 10 other cities in the state. Nobody in Central Arkansas really cares about ASU, and people are tired of seeing the Hogs play low tier FCS teams or sucking in LR while blaming the city and stadium for their suckage. A lot of people in the city wouldn't mind UALR football at all.

A UCA game would draw in a decent crowd, especially with a lot of their college students either being from LR, or wanting to party/hangout in LR after the game. UAPB plays annually in WMS and the crowd is ok for the school size. A revival of the Paw/Claw classic between UCA and UAPB may bring in a fair amount of fans.

One thing i have noticed is Parkview high school has now started to play their home games at WMS instead of Fair when Catholic isn't playing there on Fridays. i also have noticed that starting this year, UAPB is now playing 2 LR games instead of just 1. So WMS is definitely trying to compensate.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2017, 07:01:18 am »

Hey look everybody it's another WMS thread. Can't decide what should be next ................a Crump or Quiqley stadium thread.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 01:07:39 pm »

WE need UALR  FOOTBALL!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas