Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Though I Know We All Hate OU and Texas...

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, September 05, 2017, 07:19:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

If you want to see a display of hurry up, triple option football and a lot of hard, solid contact (before all of the rules against that came into play) and maybe the best Triple Option QB of all time (Jack Mildren), the 1969 OU-Texas game is on ESPN Classics.

If you like football, you will probably like seeing two teams from a different era who truly hate each other, slug it out.

For all of those who just love football, I thought I would mention it.
Go Hogs Go!

S&W

"Godfather of the Wishbone" and one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. I miss hearing him on OKC radio arguing with loud mouth Trebor.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: S&W on September 05, 2017, 07:39:11 pm
"Godfather of the Wishbone" and one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. I miss hearing him on OKC radio arguing with loud mouth Trebor.

I agree, Jack was a heck of a nice guy and one of the most gutsy QB's running the Triple Option that I ever saw. The man took a beating. Eventually became the Lt. Govenor of Oklahoma.

Notice how these kids hustle to the LOS and get set and you never see blocking like this anymore. Of course I kinda like seeing people leading with the helmet to make blocks and tackles, but these guys were smaller and not as fast (though maybe quicker) for the most part than what you see today.
Go Hogs Go!

S&W

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 05, 2017, 07:48:14 pm
I agree, Jack was a heck of a nice guy and one of the most gutsy QB's running the Triple Option that I ever saw. The man took a beating. Eventually became the Lt. Govenor of Oklahoma.

Notice how these kids hustle to the LOS and get set and you never see blocking like this anymore. Of course I kinda like seeing people leading with the helmet to make blocks and tackles, but these guys were smaller and not as fast (though maybe quicker) for the most part than what you see today.

Lt Gov and hotshot banker.

I'm not watching but living in Ok most of my life I've seen those old games, and I agree that was solid football. 69 wasn't kind to Mildren, 70 was much better and then he set records in 71 only losing to Nebraska..... If my OU history is correct.

husker71

yes Nebraska 35 Oklahoma 31   in what might have been one of the greatest games of all time    In the bowls Nebr murdered Bama and Oklahoma ran all over Auburn.  Final top 3 at the end of the year   Nebr #1 Oklahoma #2 and Colorado #3

S&W

Mildred also chose OU over UA. Another near miss in our history.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: S&W on September 07, 2017, 03:23:57 pm
Mildred also chose OU over UA. Another near miss in our history.

The Curse continues.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.