• 389,067 Topics
• 22,027 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mike Neighbors profile  (Read 949 times)

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
Mike Neighbors profile
« on: June 13, 2017, 03:54:29 pm »

https://twitter.com/SECCountryHogs/status/874705030556909569

ďIím not gonna sit here and lie to you and tell you that as a rookie coach coming into the SEC it doesnít have that effect a little bit,Ē Neighbors told SEC Country after that May 31 gathering during the SECís 2017 spring meetings.

ďThere are a lot of really good, smart people in this conference. Itís a big-time atmosphere with a lot of really smart, talented people. It makes you want to work hard because if you donít, youíre gonna get left behind.Ē

psycHOGlogist

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Skepticism is a virtue.
Re: Mike Neighbors profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 11:18:36 pm »

Thanks for sharing that. Hard not to like this guy a lot so far.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

LadybackBBFan

• Senior
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 10:22:54 am »

Very different than our last coach and that is good!

flippinhogmana

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Nathan J Allison - Brothers to the Bone Books
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 02:18:49 pm »

Very different than our last coach and that is good!

Let me say this as briefly as I can.  Much of what JD espoused, I have a commonality with.  The major difference is that I try to practice a great deal more humility with my brilliance than he did.  It is better for other lips to praise than your own.  Did he praise himself openly?  No.

But he in effect demonstrated at least a sort of arrogance (perhaps it was due to insecurity and resulting compensation for that, I could never be certain).  That seeming arrogance was most displayed by the fact that he would never open himself up and listen to people, notably his female assistant coaches who had more experience than him and were both willing and in a position to help him.

Quite contrary to that is the sort of approach and seeming attitude of Neighbors.  Let me give a simple example.  In this article he identifies himself as a 'rookie' in the SEC (which is true but doesn't magnify his previous accomplishments).  That sort of self-effacing display goes a long way to letting people know you dont think of yourself more highly than you are.  Does that mean the Mike is daunted by the task? 

No, it means he takes it seriously and he know that 'I have arrived' will not be enough in and of itself.  He said he plans to work hard.  I submit he will listen too.  That is a most excellent head start.  Listening doesn't weaken you, it doesn't expose you to undue influence.  It doesn't undermine your authority. 

You can always defer to what you already know to be true.  You can thank a person, and do something else but you have shown respect and you have shown that person you value them.  That kind of keeps your hat size down and makes people around you willing to help you build something.  I predict that MN will do well here.

jim683

• Walk-On
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 03:44:30 pm »

if you watched any of the Washington games,  at times Plum would help draw up the play to use out of a time out.  I saw this more than once.  He will listen to others.  He may not always follow it, but he will listen

jbcarol

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas