• 382,462 Topics
• 21,387 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Official U.S. Open Thread  (Read 1352 times)

sevenof400

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
Re: Official U.S. Open Thread
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2017, 12:34:53 pm »

During their segment together, I do think Darren Clarke was having a good view...

95_alum

• Hogvillian
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2017, 02:29:00 pm »

Cue Joe Buck's man-crush for Brooks Koepka...

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2017, 02:33:40 pm »

Mick Fleetwood taking a week off from the band to compete, uncommon........

Dr. Starcs

• Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2017, 03:51:36 pm »

Wildhog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2017, 04:01:34 pm »

https://mobile.twitter.com/purdueturfy/status/876149330746507264

Smooth joe. Smooth.

"I don't think so because this is for par."

lol.

And that's the only shot of the US open that I've seen.

Dillar Dog

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2017, 04:31:13 pm »

Decent little round by Thomas

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2017, 04:33:31 pm »

Decent little round by Thomas

Yeah, reminded me of some of mine. Those were two of the best 3 woods in US Open history.

EastexHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2017, 07:16:54 pm »

I don't think I like watching the U.S. Open and having the Greater Hartford Open break out.  The course is ridiculously easy for an Open today.  You could land a 747 on the fairways, at least two of the par fours are drivable with no real hazards to worry about, and seemingly half the holes are located at the bottom of bowls so that anything landing around them will funnel close.

Does anyone actually think Justin Thomas' 9 under round on this course is close to as good as Johnny Miller's 8 under at Oakmont?

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2017, 07:54:56 pm »

I don't think I like watching the U.S. Open and having the Greater Hartford Open break out.  The course is ridiculously easy for an Open today.  You could land a 747 on the fairways, at least two of the par fours are drivable with no real hazards to worry about, and seemingly half the holes are located at the bottom of bowls so that anything landing around them will funnel close.

Does anyone actually think Justin Thomas' 9 under round on this course is close to as good as Johnny Miller's 8 under at Oakmont?

Not only is it as good, it's one shot better. The U.S. Open doesn't have to be +2 to be a great tournament. If it was so easy, how come none of the big boys aren't winning, Hell, they didn't make the cut. They can't help that the rain has softened up the course, or that the wind hasn't blown as hard as expected. Rory won in 2011 at -16 under at Congressional, I don't remember hearing it wasn't a US Open worthy win.

EastexHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2017, 08:07:54 pm »

Not only is it as good, it's one shot better. The U.S. Open doesn't have to be +2 to be a great tournament. If it was so easy, how come none of the big boys aren't winning, Hell, they didn't make the cut. They can't help that the rain has softened up the course, or that the wind hasn't blown as hard as expected. Rory won in 2011 at -16 under at Congressional, I don't remember hearing it wasn't a US Open worthy win.

Yes, Rory shot 16 under... and he had an 8 shot lead going into the final round.  No one else was better than 6 under.

You have a 288 yard par 4 with the pin located in an absolute bowl.  Even shots that go over the green funnel back to tap in range.  The only real surprise so far is that no one has made a hole in one.  And that's just one example.

Day, McIlroy, and Dustin Johnson missed the cut not because the course is so difficult, but because they couldn't keep their tee shots inside the county line.  When the fairway is 50 yards wide but you miss it by a mile... I saw Day yesterday 40 yards into the deep stuff... your failure isn't because the course was too hard.

And the rain didn't cause those fairways to be so wide, or the holes to be placed in spots where any shot within the vicinity will roll close.

GolfNut57

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2017, 08:11:56 pm »

Yes, Rory shot 16 under... and he had an 8 shot lead going into the final round.  No one else was better than 6 under.

You have a 288 yard par 4 with the pin located in an absolute bowl.  Even shots that go over the green funnel back to tap in range.  The only real surprise so far is that no one has made a hole in one.  And that's just one example.

Day, McIlroy, and Dustin Johnson missed the cut not because the course is so difficult, but because they couldn't keep their tee shots inside the county line.  When the fairway is 50 yards wide but you miss it by a mile... I saw Day yesterday 40 yards into the deep stuff... your failure isn't because the course was too hard.

And the rain didn't cause those fairways to be so wide, or the holes to be placed in spots where any shot within the vicinity will roll close.

GoHog1091 is this you? Did you hack into EastexHawg's acct?

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2017, 08:18:39 pm »

The same hole was 360 yards on Thursday, so it's changed every day. I'm guessing that hole played at a 3 today in your mind, care to make a wager as to what the stroke average was, or has been all week? The 50 yard wide fairways were there because if it hadn't rained, the tee shots would have run thru them.

sevenof400

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2017, 08:20:24 pm »

Let's see what the Sunday pin placements allow - I imagine the USGA is getting the clowns and windmills ready for tomorrow.

I agree with you strongly on this - while it was impressive, Thomas' 63 was accompanied by other players with rounds of 65, 67,67 and eight 68's on a new venue with little history (which really doesn't yet suggest how Erin Hills should be viewed in terms of the strength of the course).

Miller's 63 was accompanied by two 68's (Nicklaus, R Johnson), and a 65 (Watkins).  On Oakmont.

That should provide some perspective on the relative accomplishments by Miller and Thomas. 

sevenof400

« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2017, 08:26:34 pm »

You -have- to factor in the venue when you make this comparison.
Miller's round is still the highest accomplishment. 

EastexHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2017, 08:38:58 pm »

Lowest 54 hole scores to par, U.S. Open history:

14 under - Rory McIlroy, Congressional, 2011

12 under - Brian Harman, Erin Hills, 2017

11 under - Justin Thomas, Erin Hills, 2017
11 under - Brooks Koepka, Erin Hills, 2017
11 under - Tommy Fleetwood, Erin Hills, 2017

Again, the second place score after 54 holes at Congressional in 2011 was 6 under.

EastexHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2017, 08:40:23 pm »

GoHog1091 is this you? Did you hack into EastexHawg's acct?

No, I just pay attention.

sevenof400

« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2017, 08:43:52 pm »

Another question that should be emerging fairly soon is will the U.S. Open or PGA return to Erin Hills anytime soon? 

I like the idea the U.S. Open should move to a rota system of courses but if they did, no way Erin Hills (or Chambers Bay for that matter) make the list.  Now the PGA - maybe.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2017, 08:47:07 pm »

Again, the second place score after 54 holes at Congressional in 2011 was 6 under.

Girl Morgan had it -12 at Pebble in 82?? -3 won he tournament. I guess you and Gohog can get all excited about returning to Chambers Bay some day. All 156 golfers had the opportunity to play the same course, the winner will still be the U.S. Open champion.

sevenof400

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2017, 08:52:53 pm »

Girl Morgan had it -12 at Pebble in 82?? -3 won he tournament. I guess you and Gohog can get all excited about returning to Chambers Bay some day. All 156 golfers had the opportunity to play the same course, the winner will still be the U.S. Open champion.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2017, 08:54:12 pm »

The following was posted by someone over on Golfwrx about this "regular Tour stop score fest" U.S. Open.

"This is easily the most entertaining Greater Milwaukee Open I've ever seen."

Here is a stat that puts this garbage we are seeing this week into perspective.

From 1895-2016: 6 players reached -10 at any point in a U.S. Open.

5 players reached double digits on Saturday.

If any good comes out of this year's faux U.S. Open, hopefully it will be the impetus to get the U.S.G.A. to finally do something about the golf ball.  The golf ball needs to be reigned in.  Jack Nicklaus has been saying this for around 10 years. 

Boarcephus

• Houston, hell no we ain't forgettin!!
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2017, 08:55:59 pm »

The winner of the US Open will have a lower score than Berger had at the FedEx tournament.  This tournament has been a huge disappointment to me.

sevenof400

« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2017, 08:56:16 pm »

As fun as it was to watch, Miller's 63 at Oakmont in 1973 is a superior achievement to Thomas's 63 at Erin Hills. 
Oakmont was (and still is) a much tougher venue than Erin Hills and we haven't ever considered this factor:

Miller ain't swinging titanium here.....

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2017, 09:09:23 pm »

Merion (East Course)  2013    6,996 yards    0 players finished under Par.  The U.S.G.A even set Merion (East Course) at 6,869 yards for Round 4.  It also rained a ton that week.

Erin Hills   2017   7,741 yards   Currently 5 players at double digit under Par.

Someone needs to get fired at the U.S.G.A. for this week's attempt at a U.S. Open.  Wide fairways, and then the U.S.G.A. was out there cutting away fescue.  There doesn't need to be any more U.S. Opens conducted on overrated novelties such as Erin Hills.

Dillar Dog

« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2017, 09:21:46 pm »

I have a whole box of Kleenex here.  That going to be enough for you crybabies?

I'll get more.  Let me know.

Boarcephus

« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2017, 09:22:38 pm »

Merion (East Course)  2013    6,996 yards    0 players finished under Par.  The U.S.G.A even set Merion (East Course) at 6,869 yards for Round 4.  It also rained a ton that week.

Erin Hills   2017   7,741 yards   Currently 5 players at double digit under Par.

Someone needs to get fired at the U.S.G.A. for this week's attempt at a U.S. Open.  Wide fairways, and then the U.S.G.A. was out there cutting away fescue.  There doesn't need to be any more U.S. Opens conducted on overrated novelties such as Erin Hills.

This tournament isn't any different than any other regular PGA event other than the name.  It's not interesting to me to see these guys shoot 15 under par and win. 

Dillar Dog

« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2017, 09:29:37 pm »

Yeah.  Chicks dig bogies.

No one likes birdies.  Good call.

*hands boar a tissue*

EastexHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2017, 10:17:03 pm »

I have a whole box of Kleenex here.  That going to be enough for you crybabies?

I'll get more.  Let me know.

If I was playing complaining that the course is too hard would be "crying".  Realizing that this is by far the easiest U.S. Open ever played, at least through three rounds, and finding it less than compelling viewing is merely being observant and having an opinion.

Dr. Starcs

« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2017, 10:25:16 pm »

Add johnny miller to the list of criers.

What a baby.

Dillar Dog

« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2017, 10:39:03 pm »

If I was playing complaining that the course is too hard would be "crying".  Realizing that this is by far the easiest U.S. Open ever played, at least through three rounds, and finding it less than compelling viewing is merely being observant and having an opinion.

*Kleenex to eastex*

It's ok little fella.  Momma will get that diaper changed.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2017, 10:43:47 pm »

Add johnny miller to the list of criers.

What a baby.

Miller is right.  All 63s are not created equal.  Miller has acknowledged though that Thomas' 63 is good, just not the same as doing it at Oakmont.

Miller can talk all that he wants.  Only 2 of the current Tour players have an iron game that is somewhat close to what Miller's iron game was back then, those 2 being Rose and Matsuyama, and even those 2 don't have quite as good of an iron game as was Miller's.

Miller also wasn't using a massive headed Driver with a huge sweet spot like what the current Tour players are using.

Dr. Starcs

« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2017, 10:48:45 pm »

Don't worry. Millers head is massive enough.

I don't expect anything else from him, but compare that to basically any other great players whose records have been tied or broken. Pretty classless response from him imo.

Dillar Dog

« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2017, 10:51:29 pm »

Miller is right.  All 63s are not created equal.  Miller has acknowledged though that Thomas' 63 is good, just not the same as doing it at Oakmont.

Miller can talk all that he wants.  Only 2 of the current Tour players have an iron game that is somewhat close to what Miller's iron game was back then, those 2 being Rose and Matsuyama, and even those 2 don't have quite as good of an iron game as was Miller's.

Miller also wasn't using a massive headed Driver with a huge sweet spot like what the current Tour players are using.

Aawwwww.  Another wittle baby.  Does baby need a bottle?

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2017, 11:13:58 pm »

Aawwwww.  Another wittle baby.  Does baby need a bottle?

At least there will be 2 good major championship venues next year.  Those 2 being Shinnecock Hills and Carnoustie (Championship Course).

It will be interesting to see how these bomb-and-gouge robots try to navigate and try to get out of the fairway bunkers at Carnoustie (Championship Course).

Dillar Dog

« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2017, 11:38:13 pm »

Your wittle nose needs wiped. 

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2017, 06:03:04 am »

Hmm, let's see......all the top players entered, scores are lower on average, top guys can't cut it, terrible tournament. I'll be playing it in late July, I'm guessing a 62-63 then........

Boarcephus

« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2017, 09:07:34 am »

Article in the paper this morning said that in the 116 previous US Opens only 6 players had ever reached -10 or better and there are 5 in this tournament alone. This is not any different than any other tour event but the winner will claim a major.

hogbud

• Senior
« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2017, 09:08:22 am »

Wind cranking today - should be fun to watch.

sevenof400

« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2017, 10:03:24 am »

Wind cranking today - should be fun to watch.

Yes, indeed.  With so many players so close to the lead, a lot of players are still in contention.  About time mother nature stopped by. 

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2017, 10:24:22 am »

Yes, indeed.  With so many players so close to the lead, a lot of players are still in contention.  About time mother nature stopped by. 

Which was the norm, just think if the USGA had killed this course like Chambers Bay, +20 would win.

sevenof400

« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2017, 10:56:45 am »

Which was the norm, just think if the USGA had killed this course like Chambers Bay, +20 would win.

On this, I just tuned in for a few minutes to watch the USGA's efforts in deterring where to (re)set the pin on 16.  If the wind keeps up, and some of the pins are on top of knobs and undulations (as the USGA seems to love to do), there's going to be some very controversial pin placements.

sevenof400

« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2017, 02:26:56 pm »

Well, here we (finally) go as the last few groups are about to tee off.  This should be a wild ride - and hopefully Fox will stop commercializing the hell out of this and Joke Buck will shut up.

sevenof400

« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2017, 04:12:30 pm »

The pin placement at 7 looks straight out of the USGA clowns and windmills placement strategy.  Right on top of a knob where everything short rolls back off a false front and anything at or beyond the flag rolls off the back of the green.

hogbud

• Senior
« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2017, 04:51:02 pm »

There's no carnage...lots of good rounds today

Dr. Starcs

« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2017, 07:19:15 pm »

Zzzzz

Dillar Dog

« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2017, 07:40:02 pm »

So many tears on the thread.

Hawg414

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2017, 01:43:43 am »

Bet the US Open won't be back at Erin Hills anytime soon.
Lamest one I can remember watching

EastexHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2017, 09:07:24 am »

Bet the US Open won't be back at Erin Hills anytime soon.
Lamest one I can remember watching

Yeah, but all the chicks tuned in because they heard there were so many birdies.  They put the tournament on the scoreboard over at the university and college girls were climbing over each other, punching, and pulling hair to get closer so they could watch golf.

Dillar Dog

« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2017, 10:40:52 am »

Or maybe it was Brooks. 

EastexHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2017, 11:11:49 am »

Or maybe it was Brooks. 

That was just the college chicks.  Junior high girls created a bandwidth traffic jam live streaming Rickie.

Dillar Dog

« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2017, 11:20:57 am »

Understandable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas