• 382,468 Topics
• 21,387 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Official U.S. Open Thread  (Read 1353 times)

Boarcephus

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Houston, hell no we ain't forgettin!!
Re: Official U.S. Open Thread
« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2017, 06:35:06 am »

Bet the US Open won't be back at Erin Hills anytime soon.
Lamest one I can remember watching

The US Open has always stood out to me but this one was not any different than the other 30 or 40 events they have  every year outside the Masters and the British Open.

Hawgndaaz

« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2017, 09:00:14 am »

Yeah.  Chicks dig bogies.

No one likes birdies.  Good call.

*hands boar a tissue*

I hate all the hate because Koepka played his balls off and won a major. All you're hearing about is how easy the course was. Dude couldn't miss.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

sevenof400

« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2017, 09:27:51 am »

I hate all the hate because Koepka played his balls off and won a major. All you're hearing about is how easy the course was. Dude couldn't miss.

I agree the recognition for Koepka seemed to be lacking but as an aside, what about that lame ass presentation ceremony that was likely rushed for Fox?  That sure didn't help matters any nor did Koepka help himself as a result of his acceptance speeches and interviews.  To be fair, a golfer's screen persona / presence should not add or diminish to what he does on the course but Koepka certainly did himself no favors but displaying the emotional equivalent of soggy oatmeal after his win. 

Dillar Dog

« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2017, 09:31:23 am »

Yeah.  It's like everyone's feelings are hurt because a few guys played as well as they possibly could.

"Waaaa!  These guys keep hitting great shots!  Waaaaaa!  Momma!  They're playing too good!"

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2017, 01:26:08 pm »

Bet the US Open won't be back at Erin Hills anytime soon.
Lamest one I can remember watching

It garnered the 2nd worst t.v. ratings ever for a U.S. Open. 

Garbage venue  =  mediocre tournament and terrible ratings.

Dillar Dog

« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2017, 01:29:18 pm »

I'm sure it didn't have anything to do with the most popular players struggling and/or missing the cut on that easy course.

Go back to your silly little wannabe course architect forum.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2017, 01:53:39 pm »

I'm sure it didn't have anything to do with the most popular players struggling and/or missing the cut on that easy course.

Go back to your silly little wannabe course architect forum.

Those 3 players (Johnson, McIlroy, and Day) hadn't been playing well leading into the tournament.  Fans already had a decreased interest in those 3 for this tournament due to their sub-par play leading into it.

It was a poor selection of a venue.  When the public course in Milwaukee (Brown Deer Park) where The Greater Milwaukee Open was held in the past is a better course than what got selected for a "major," then it should be apparent that the U.S.G.A.'s selection of Erin Hills was a poor selection.

Dillar Dog

« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2017, 02:13:05 pm »

Of course.  Is that what they're saying over in your fantasy designer forum?

You nerds are worse than yelpers that actually believe they're food critics.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Setting the edge since 1960
« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2017, 02:49:52 pm »

It garnered the 2nd worst t.v. ratings ever for a U.S. Open. 

Garbage venue  =  mediocre tournament and terrible ratings.

I think the fact that Fox now broadcasts the USGA events, specifically the US Open, doesn't help the ratings either.  People just don't associate Fox with golf and their broadcasts to date have been pounded pretty hard by critics.  Most folks automatically go to CBS or NBC for weekend golf because they are reliable, known commodities.

On an unrelated note, because of where I was I did not see a single shot the entire tournament.  Kept up online and listening to XM.  Sounds like I didn't miss much. 

sevenof400

« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2017, 03:38:51 pm »

Since we haven't really discussed it in this thread yet, the Fox broadcast itself seemed to rely far too much on ball tracking graphics from a fixed point of view from behind the golfer.  I can appreciate some use of the ball tracker, but Fox uses it way too much instead of opting for other camera angles. 

As far as the commentary, once again Fox has way too many people in the booth.  Over time, Curtis Strange, Paul Azinger and Brad Faxon seemed to become one voice - and a repetitive one at that.  I hate to say it this way, but these three made me appreciate Johnny Miller much more. 

Fox also seemed to scrimp on on course reporting too.  I don't mind that each network seems to have its own way of covering major events, but Fox's coverage added little to what was happening on the course and did suffer from too many commercials and fluff pieces.   

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Setting the edge since 1960
« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2017, 05:53:13 pm »

Fox also seemed to scrimp on on course reporting too.  I don't mind that each network seems to have its own way of covering major events, but Fox's coverage added little to what was happening on the course and did suffer from too many commercials and fluff pieces.

Really??  And Furyk wasn't even in contention!

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2017, 08:10:04 pm »

Since we haven't really discussed it in this thread yet, the Fox broadcast itself seemed to rely far too much on ball tracking graphics from a fixed point of view from behind the golfer.  I can appreciate some use of the ball tracker, but Fox uses it way too much instead of opting for other camera angles. 

As far as the commentary, once again Fox has way too many people in the booth.  Over time, Curtis Strange, Paul Azinger and Brad Faxon seemed to become one voice - and a repetitive one at that.  I hate to say it this way, but these three made me appreciate Johnny Miller much more. 

More Holly, less Joe.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2017, 08:14:37 pm »

Dillar Doggin' y'all pretty bad.    Carry on...

GolfNut57

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2017, 11:01:21 pm »

I think the fact that Fox now broadcasts the USGA events, specifically the US Open, doesn't help the ratings either.  People just don't associate Fox with golf and their broadcasts to date have been pounded pretty hard by critics.  Most folks automatically go to CBS or NBC for weekend golf because they are reliable, known commodities.

On an unrelated note, because of where I was I did not see a single shot the entire tournament.  Kept up online and listening to XM.  Sounds like I didn't miss much.

Plus it is likely people are sick of listening to Joe Buck. He is overused by Fox for their baseball game already, then it is football games and now golf?

GolfNut57

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2017, 11:03:04 pm »

More Holly, less Joe.

More Holly skin......less Holly clothes........ :D
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas