• 385,125 Topics
• 21,569 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Soccer Thread  (Read 1278 times)

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
Re: The Soccer Thread
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2017, 09:58:07 am »

We still don't understand youth soccer in America. If we're going to consistently compete, we'll need to shift more toward the youth programs developed by Ajax, Bayern and Barca.

I completely agree with this.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • USN AW2
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2017, 12:59:56 pm »

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2738130-bruce-arena-resigns-as-usa-mens-national-team-coach-after-1-year

Bruce Arena resigned. I was very happy when he first came back but it seems the team is back to playing with no heart like they were playing before Arena took the job.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Cotton

• Senior
  • Ph.D Common Sense
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2017, 01:13:40 pm »

Good Riddance Bruce,

Your turn Sunil.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • USN AW2
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2017, 01:18:36 pm »

Good Riddance Bruce,

Your turn Sunil.

I think Sunil is more of a problem than Arena.

Cotton

• Senior
  • Ph.D Common Sense
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2017, 01:55:59 pm »

I think Sunil is more of a problem than Arena.
Arena selected Graham Zusi as starting right back.  He should've been left in Honduras that night.

Hiring him was a huge mistake.  I said it a year ago.

JayBell

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2017, 11:50:01 am »

Arena selected Graham Zusi as starting right back.  He should've been left in Honduras that night.

Hiring him was a huge mistake.  I said it a year ago.

Arena reverted big time in the last four games.  He showed a willingness to think proactively and integrate new, young players in his early games and through the Gold Cup.

He took major steps backwards in the last four games sticking with older players he trusted and running them into the ground.  You can say you thought hiring him was a mistake, but nobody expected him to fail quite like he did.

HoggieStyle

« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2017, 01:35:39 pm »

Arena was a band-aid, at best. The players sucked pretty much this entire WC qualifying go-around. There were flashes in the Gold Cup, but we stunk up almost every WC qualifier we played.

Gulati should have been ousted before Klinsmann was shown the door. 

The U-20 and U-17 men's teams both reached the quarter-finals of their respective WC's and there are a couple of guys on the U-17 team that are absolutely legit, so maybe there's hope. Bring one of the youth coaches up. You've got names like Brad Friedel and Tab Ramos and John Hackworth. Give one of them a shot.

Arkstfan

• Senior
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2017, 08:45:10 pm »

I knew we were screwed with USMNT when Klinsman was starting Matt Besler and Peter Vermes had him benched because Sporting KC was playing better without him.

JayBell

« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2017, 02:42:56 pm »

The U-20 and U-17 men's teams both reached the quarter-finals of their respective WC's and there are a couple of guys on the U-17 team that are absolutely legit, so maybe there's hope. Bring one of the youth coaches up. You've got names like Brad Friedel and Tab Ramos and John Hackworth. Give one of them a shot.

They have proven nothing.  Good coaching at the youth level doesn't necessarily translate to the senior level.  Ramos being such a popular name despite a dearth of senior coaching experience is really weird to me.

JayBell

« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2017, 02:51:05 pm »

I knew we were screwed with USMNT when Klinsman was starting Matt Besler and Peter Vermes had him benched because Sporting KC was playing better without him.

Klinsmann's worst trait, probably after his overall player selection, and his lineups, and his antagonism.....

Okay, one of the many things Klinsmann was terrible at was integrating new players.  I thought Bob Bradley was a master at this.  He was always willing to call up young players and/or inexperienced guys in good form, but what he would do was slot only one or two of them in at a time with the rest of the regular lineup around them.

When Klinsmann called up new players, he usually played at least 5 or 6 of them together at the same time, including at least a couple of them out of position, and then blame them for failing even though it is exactly what he set them up to do.  Then he would banish them from the team or rarely utilize them.

It killed the development of the team and left them relying on older players for too long.  Pulisic, Gooch, Saief, Acosta, Villafana, Morris, Miazga, Wood, Hedges, Hamid, Nagbe, Horvath etc. should have been integrated into the team far earlier and more effectively.  That was where Arena failed the hardest at the end.

Cotton

• Senior
  • Ph.D Common Sense
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2017, 04:51:22 pm »

Very little discussion of pro leagues on here these days but MLS cup playoffs have been entertaining so far and Liga MX is coming down to the last couple weeks before the Apertura playoffs. If you've never watched MX before, you're missing out.

JayBell

« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2017, 10:28:10 am »

The new USMNT roster is out and it's loaded with young guns.  That's the way forward.  The silver lining of 2017 is that the right coach(es) could really blaze a new trail with the young stars they have coming up.

The team for 2022 has to be built around Pulisic, Brooks, Yedlin and Wood.  Gonzalez, Horvath and Hamid - who I all mentioned earlier - should make for good competition at goalkeeper.  Other young players like McKennie, Carter-Vickers, Gooch and Sargent will likely get every chance to cement themselves in the full USMNT.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas