• 382,429 Topics
• 21,385 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amazon collects taxes, then they don't, then they won't refund what they....  (Read 290 times)

sevenof400

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian

...had no business collecting in the first place. 

To put a little detail behind all of that, I made a couple of transactions with Amazon in the month of March April.  The first one had estimated taxes collected, the second one did not.  Both orders were from businesses outside of the state of Arkansas and (I believe) have (had) no physical presence within the state. 

To the best of my knowledge, Amazon had not collected any state taxes until March April of this year but when they started collecting then, they were not required to do so.  Now that the Arkansas legislature has refused to pass legislation requiring the collection of state taxes, I asked Amazon for a refund of the tax collected and they have refused, stating:

....Thank you for your concern. Collection on March 1, 2017 is not related to the failed legislation, but rather the ever changing business relationships and operations of Amazon. We are not able to go into greater detail with respect to our business operations at this time.

Amazon remits tax collected on orders delivered to destinations in Arkansas to the Department of Finance and Administration on a quarterly or monthly basis per the states requirement. Further questions will need to be directed to the Department of Finance and Administration as to how tax is disbursed.

My issue here is the fact Amazon has been inconsistent with its policies and practices.  Can anyone share any insight on this? 

edit: the transactions referred to actually occurred in April, not March. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 01:26:06 pm by sevenof400 »

HawgWild

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Life is good

Amazon stated that they were going to collect Arkansas state sales tax about the time that legislation was proposed to force out of state sellers to do so. The two were independent of the other. The legislation failed and Amazon continues to collect the tax.

We're required to declare and pay Arkansas state sales tax on items purchased on line but I read that 99% of the residents fail to do this. Amazon is just making us honest.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

sevenof400

If this is true:

Amazon stated that they were going to collect Arkansas state sales tax about the time that legislation was proposed to force out of state sellers to do so. The two were independent of the other. The legislation failed and Amazon continues to collect the tax.

Why would Amazon collect tax on the first order and NOT the second order? 

(I am not disagreeing with your statements, just can't understand the inconsistency in Amazon's practices when it comes to taxes..)

HawgWild

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Life is good

What do you mean by "order"? States have been trying to collect these taxes for years. They've asked companies to do voluntarily this because the vast majority of citizens aren't self reporting this on their taxes. Other states have passed legislation requiring them to do so. I'm assuming that Amazon thought the Arkansas legislature would succeed as well.

They'd already started collecting this and could not go back on what they'd said. As someone pointed out in another thread on this in another forum, the programming required for them to do this wasn't really that hard to do. It gave them more of a competitive edge in price shopping with your local retailer and now this has been diminished a bit. 

sevenof400

What do you mean by "order"? States have been trying to collect these taxes for years. They've asked companies to do voluntarily this because the vast majority of citizens aren't self reporting this on their taxes. Other states have passed legislation requiring them to do so. I'm assuming that Amazon thought the Arkansas legislature would succeed as well.

They'd already started collecting this and could not go back on what they'd said. As someone pointed out in another thread on this in another forum, the programming required for them to do this wasn't really that hard to do. It gave them more of a competitive edge in price shopping with your local retailer and now this has been diminished a bit.

I made two separate orders in March April.  Tax was collected on the first, but not the second.  It appears Amazon was collecting taxes on customer orders in early March April but then stopped doing so later in the month.  This change in procedure is what drew my attention. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 01:26:46 pm by sevenof400 »

Vantage 8 dude

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net

Well since I'm very likely to complete an AMZN purchase within the next few days obviously we'll all see for sure.

majestic

I just bought an item last week and they didn't charge sales tax. I wonder if it has to do with not being an official Amazon purchase?

hog.goblin

• It's not revenge he's after. It's a reckoning.

Amazon charges sales tax when they are the direct seller. When it comes from a 3rd party they do not (unless that 3rd party is physically in Arkansas).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas