• 392,086 Topics
• 22,139 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Redbird Rundown XI  (Read 4533 times)

pigture perfect

• Gold Hogvillian
Re: Redbird Rundown XI
« Reply #150 on: December 13, 2017, 08:41:18 pm »

I like this deal better than Stanton. I would have loved to get GS, but getting someone almost as good for much less leaves more room for other impact players. I just hate that the Yanks got him though.

popcornhog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #151 on: December 14, 2017, 01:12:40 am »

I like this deal better than Stanton. I would have loved to get GS, but getting someone almost as good for much less leaves more room for other impact players. I just hate that the Yanks got him though.

Zac Gallen is probably gonna be really good ó and thereís the fact that OF really isnít the priority for this team. Moreover, I would expect Ozunaís offensive numbers to drop a bit when heís not hitting next to Giancarlo Stanton.

But all in all this is the type of move that the Cardinals never make but we need. It will give us a strong bat in the middle of the lineup and maybe free us up to move a couple of the big league OF pieces for a 1B bat and some bullpen depth.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Bigfoot

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #152 on: December 14, 2017, 09:45:59 am »

Me too.

Stanton and Judge being on the same team should be illegal.

McKdaddy

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #153 on: December 14, 2017, 01:06:32 pm »

I'd be more upset if the cubs had wanted & gotten him. 

popcornhog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #154 on: December 14, 2017, 02:42:46 pm »

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/thanks-cardinals-trade-stephen-piscotty-can-now-closer-ailing-mom-185406307.html

Baseball is a business, but itís not always cold and unfeeling. On Wednesday, the St. Louis Cardinals traded outfielder Stephen Piscotty to the Oakland Athletics. After the Cards traded for Marcell Ozuna, Piscotty was the odd man out. But the trade was about more than just clearing roster space. It was also about sending Piscotty back home to be near his mother.

ghostzapper

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #155 on: December 14, 2017, 05:04:00 pm »

Weíve apparently moved on from any deal with Rays.  I hope that isnít true.

dacskc

hoghappy

• Senior
« Reply #157 on: December 23, 2017, 11:44:40 pm »

Good luck. Theyíve screwed just about everything else up they touch.

RaisinHog

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

McKdaddy

« Reply #159 on: January 04, 2018, 03:57:25 pm »

the best 14 dollars I spend a month

Agreed

jrulz83

• Lenin lived, Lenin lives, Lenin will live forever!
« Reply #160 on: January 19, 2018, 04:13:20 pm »

So long Grichuk, traded for two pitchers from the Jays.

https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/news/blue-jays-trade-for-of-randal-grichuk/c-265032622

pigture perfect

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #161 on: January 20, 2018, 12:32:32 am »

Looks like Harrison Bader just made the big squad. I am a little concerned about Pham though, just a gut feeling. Did we put all of our eggs in one basket because he had a breakout year at 30 years of age?

jrulz83

« Reply #162 on: January 20, 2018, 10:50:16 am »

Looks like Harrison Bader just made the big squad. I am a little concerned about Pham though, just a gut feeling. Did we put all of our eggs in one basket because he had a breakout year at 30 years of age?

Jose Martinez is a decent fall back in the event of a Pham fall off and sounds like it may be show me time in the show me state for Bader.

pigture perfect

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #163 on: January 21, 2018, 05:34:32 pm »

The more I see of the 2 that we got from the Grichik trade, I think we did pretty well.

jrulz83

« Reply #164 on: January 24, 2018, 05:21:23 pm »

The more I see of the 2 that we got from the Grichik trade, I think we did pretty well.

I agree, I think that trading Grichuk for bullpen help was the right way to go.

Grichuk has talent. The Cardinals gave him every shot to be the guy and he couldnít ever do it. I honestly think heís a useful player that could get it together and be a really good MLB outfielder.  However, I donít think thereís anything Grichuk would bring to this team that Bader or maybe Tyler Oíneill canít. Maybe we look back and regret this one, but I think it was time to move on.

pigture perfect

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #165 on: January 24, 2018, 06:15:15 pm »

The last article I read on RG, he seemed a bit P.Oíed about being the 4th outfielder heading into the pre-season. I sensed their might be some friction in the club house because of it. Or, he would have been spurred to a career season. But all in all, it is as you said, he had his chances and didnít get Ďer done.

jbell96

• Hogvillian
« Reply #166 on: January 25, 2018, 09:01:29 am »

The last article I read on RG, he seemed a bit P.Oíed about being the 4th outfielder heading into the pre-season. I sensed their might be some friction in the club house because of it. Or, he would have been spurred to a career season. But all in all, it is as you said, he had his chances and didnít get Ďer done.

I don't think it was so much being the 4th OF this year, it was from previous years where he felt like he was yanked around. I never defend Matheny, but Grichuk had every opportunity to prove he deserved to be in the lineup every day, and he just didn't get it done. Just comes off as sour grapes to me.

McKdaddy

« Reply #167 on: January 25, 2018, 12:28:10 pm »

Early on, I thought Piscotty & Grichuk would anchor our OF for many years.

McKdaddy

« Reply #168 on: January 25, 2018, 12:28:31 pm »

I never defend Matheny, but Grichuk had every opportunity to prove he deserved to be in the lineup every day, and he just didn't get it done. Just comes off as sour grapes to me.

^^^^

pigture perfect

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #169 on: January 25, 2018, 03:47:49 pm »

Thats what I thought as well. When Piscotty got the 6 year deal at a good price, I thought we were under paying him. I believe that his season last year was really affected by family concerns. How can you not be, if your mom is diagnosed with ALS. I sure do wish him luck in Oakland.

jrulz83

« Reply #170 on: January 25, 2018, 03:56:35 pm »

Same here, a few years ago I saw Grichuk anchoring the lineup at cleanup for a while. Now though? I do not feel like we lost much (if anything) in losing Grichuk. He had his shot(s) and didnít ever do enough. How long are you supposed to bet on potential? I wish him luck, but he had his chance in STL.

McKdaddy

« Reply #171 on: January 26, 2018, 06:03:29 am »

That's why I would be a poor GM....I'd be prone to giving too many guys like Grichuk one more year.

McKdaddy

« Reply #172 on: January 26, 2018, 06:04:31 am »

Not saying he should've been given another year, but my failing would be in giving too many guys another year.

jrulz83

« Reply #173 on: January 26, 2018, 10:15:26 am »

Not saying he should've been given another year, but my failing would be in giving too many guys another year.

The increasingly frustrating thing for me with Grichuk was either he never had a feel for how MLB pitchers attacked him, or he wasnít able to adjust his approach. He has real trouble with breaking balls and never could consistently stay away from hacking at the bad ones.

In the stretches that he didnít hack at bad pitches he could be good, but they were always very short stretches. When he got to two strikes anybody could call the pitch that was coming and he could rarely lay off of it.

Still, I thought he was a useful piece for the Cardinals but with the rising outfielders I suppose that the Cardinals saw him as a redundant piece. Bader appears to be the front runner but either Tyler OíNeill or Jose Adolis Garcia could make the jump to MLB this year.

Ozuna, Pham, and Fowler appear to be the everyday starters. Thatís a very solid if not spectacular OF group. Pham concerns me the most. Is he what we saw last year or is he the injury prone other guy? I like Pham a lot, but I can see Matheny riding him like he did Allen Craig if things arenít going right and that would be bad for everybody.

Fowlerís injury history bothers me too, if he canít stay healthy donít sleep on Jose Martinez. 1B seems to be his main focus, but his bat (if as good as last year) needs to play. Fowler could use some rest from time to time and Martinez can handle the corners. Seems to me like Martinez ought to get a start in RF once a week or so to help keep Fowler healthy.

Anyway, thatís where I see the outfield. If you read all my BS in this post you deserve a gold star.

hogcards

• Hogvillian
  • Can I interest you in an eggnog?
« Reply #174 on: January 27, 2018, 05:00:25 pm »

That's why I would be a poor GM....I'd be prone to giving too many guys like Grichuk one more year.

I'm glad he's gone.  He flailed. 

pigture perfect

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #175 on: January 27, 2018, 06:51:08 pm »

We need 1 more starter and a closer. Iím good with Gyrko/Carp at 3rd and Carp/Yadi at 1st.

clutch

« Reply #176 on: January 29, 2018, 11:15:49 am »

Same here, a few years ago I saw Grichuk anchoring the lineup at cleanup for a while. Now though? I do not feel like we lost much (if anything) in losing Grichuk. He had his shot(s) and didnít ever do enough. How long are you supposed to bet on potential? I wish him luck, but he had his chance in STL.

Jason Heyward made a fortune off of potential. I still think he's one of the most over-payed players I've ever seen. Glad he didn't stick around STL.

Dropkick

« Reply #177 on: January 29, 2018, 11:31:42 am »

Jason Heyward made a fortune off of potential. I still think he's one of the most over-payed players I've ever seen. Glad he didn't stick around STL.
That feeling is probably mutual. He got a ring and all that money.

clutch

« Reply #178 on: February 01, 2018, 01:35:50 pm »

That feeling is probably mutual. He got a ring and all that money.

All while batting .230, crushing 7 homers and driving in less than 50 runs.

Dropkick

« Reply #179 on: February 01, 2018, 02:13:56 pm »

All while batting .230, crushing 7 homers and driving in less than 50 runs.
....and got paid like an MVP, lol

jrulz83

« Reply #180 on: February 01, 2018, 06:22:09 pm »

And all that has what to do with Grichuk?

Heyward got what he wanted. Good for him for getting paid, and Iím glad who it is thatís overpaying him. Couldnít have ended better for all involved.

Now, back on topic. Are the Cardinals done or do they sign a free agent starter?

I think they need a #3 type starter to carry some innings, of course the price/length of deal has to be right.

Iím counting on Wainwright for nothing as a starter. It hurts to say that, but thatís where we are with him. Hope he proves me a fool. Everybody assumes he can take a bullpen role, but I think that will be harder on his arm than being a starter.

Iím really perplexed by the decision to ride with the current starters. Mikolas is a question mark, Reyes returning from TJ surgery is a question, Wacha canít pitch through a lineup twice without getting hammered, Weaver is destined for a sophomore slump and  the only thing sure about Martinez is uncertainty.

I really think the Cardinals need an innings guy.

pigture perfect

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #181 on: February 01, 2018, 08:44:23 pm »

We got Edward Mijica back on a minor league deal, with no invitation to Major league camp. He hasnít really done anything since 2015. Maybe he can find something left. He used to be pretty good.

jrulz83

« Reply #182 on: February 01, 2018, 10:10:02 pm »

We got Edward Mijica back on a minor league deal, with no invitation to Major league camp. He hasnít really done anything since 2015. Maybe he can find something left. He used to be pretty good.

That one is an interesting dumpster dive. I think heís 33, so maybe thereís something left in there. He was previously good for STL until Matheny rode him into the ground. It will be interesting to see if heís got anything.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas