• 382,471 Topics
• 21,390 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Driving to 30A in Florida  (Read 1072 times)

Hoot72

• Senior
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
Driving to 30A in Florida
« on: January 26, 2017, 02:22:23 pm »

We have been going to the Seagrove area in Florida for several years, and have always taken the Pine Bluff into Louisiana over to Jackson, etc.  Noticed the other day that Highway 78 from Memphis to Birmingham has been turned into I-22.  Has anyone drive that, and how does effect the travel time?

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
Re: Driving to 30A in Florida
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 03:22:41 pm »

We have been going to the Seagrove area in Florida for several years, and have always taken the Pine Bluff into Louisiana over to Jackson, etc.  Noticed the other day that Highway 78 from Memphis to Birmingham has been turned into I-22.  Has anyone drive that, and how does effect the travel time?

We've got a house at Seaside and I always go that way. I hate going through Memphis to get going, but it's the quickest way for me from Jonesboro. It still can be a little slow through Birmingham due to construction, and south of Montgomery is two lane, but still faster than Jackson-Mobile.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Setting the edge since 1960
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 07:13:10 am »

ricepig is right.  If you live in eastern Arkansas, that's the way to go.  To me, the best part of that route is that once you get to the Destin area, you cross the bay via the eastern bridge so you miss all of that Ft. Walton and Destin traffic (which has been a nightmare the last few years).  You come out not far from Sandestin.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 11:17:25 am »

ricepig is right. 

I may have to make this my signature.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 12:02:04 pm »

I may have to make this my signature.

I'll deny having typed it.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 09:07:36 am »

That Eastern bridge is a great way around the traffic that cropped up the past few years.

Boarcephus

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Houston, hell no we ain't forgettin!!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 05:43:03 pm »

ricepig is right.  If you live in eastern Arkansas, that's the way to go.  To me, the best part of that route is that once you get to the Destin area, you cross the bay via the eastern bridge so you miss all of that Ft. Walton and Destin traffic (which has been a nightmare the last few years).  You come out not far from Sandestin.

I live in nw AR and the only bad thing about that toll bridge is it takes me about 30-40 miles out of the way trying to get back.  I go through Pensacola and it's 60 miles from our condo to the long bridge at Pensacola and it's almost 100 when I take the toll bridge or as they call it, the Hurricane Evacuation Route. 

GolfNut57

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 06:06:35 pm »

Unless you like seeing the same depressing scenery going through SE AR every trip it is always better to go to FL via Memphis-Birmingham-Montgomery. Not to mention you have that ridiculous speed trap down in Louisiana.

Boarcephus

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 07:01:44 pm »

Unless you like seeing the same depressing scenery going through SE AR every trip it is always better to go to FL via Memphis-Birmingham-Montgomery. Not to mention you have that ridiculous speed trap down in Louisiana.

Way too far out of the way for us. We've made the trip so many times I actually look forward to Eudora (Catfish Capital of Arkansas, or so the water tower says),Lake Providence and Tallulah.  LA is a speed trap but it's only  60 miles so no big deal. 

GolfNut57

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 08:07:07 pm »

Way too far out of the way for us. We've made the trip so many times I actually look forward to Eudora (Catfish Capital of Arkansas, or so the water tower says),Lake Providence and Tallulah.  LA is a speed trap but it's only  60 miles so no big deal.

Well then....may I recommend that BarBQ place called Hoots there in McGeHee. I stopped there once while traveling through the area and they have some awesome food there. And it is reasonably priced.

http://www.menupix.com/arkansas/restaurants/380170133/Hoots-BBQ-Mcgehee-AR

Boarcephus

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 08:24:12 pm »

Well then....may I recommend that BarBQ place called Hoots there in McGeHee. I stopped there once while traveling through the area and they have some awesome food there. And it is reasonably priced.

http://www.menupix.com/arkansas/restaurants/380170133/Hoots-BBQ-Mcgehee-AR

LOL!! I appreciate it!  When we head down it's seafood or nothing for us for the duration of the trip.  We tried Berry's Seafood just outside Jackson, MS  last trip and it was pretty darn good.  Had my first tomato gravy there. If I have one regret on the dozens of times we've been, it was the night we stopped at Jerry's in Jackson.  The special of the night was chitlins and I passed.  Can kick myself in the butt for not trying them!   

Hoot72

• Senior
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 09:58:52 am »

Boarcephus, you might have kicked yourself for trying them!

Boarcephus

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 04:54:46 pm »

Boarcephus, you might have kicked yourself for trying them!

LOL!!  Probably but, if anyone in the world would know how to do chitlins it would be someone from Mississippi!  I might have taken one bite and spit them out but I've put worse things in my mouth.  ;)  I'll give it a shot one day and I have absolutely no idea why. 

GolfNut57

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 06:17:13 pm »

LOL!!  Probably but, if anyone in the world would know how to do chitlins it would be someone from Mississippi!  I might have taken one bite and spit them out but I've put worse things in my mouth.  ;)  I'll give it a shot one day and I have absolutely no idea why.

uhhh.....scared to ask.........

TomasPistola

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Rest well good buddy.
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 09:47:52 pm »

I-22 is a Godsend. We use it to go from Atlanta to visit family back in Arkansas. Almost completely bypasses Birmingham and they aren't done with it yet.

Hoot72

• Senior
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 08:45:38 am »

Made the trip from Montgomery, AL  to Prairie Grove, Ar yesterday -- Montgomery to Birmingham, Birmingham to Memphis (I-22), from Memphis to the house.  Let me make a few observations about the route.
  1) Took me a little longer than it would most of you -- older, so I make more stops; probably don't drive as fast -- took 10 1/2 hours, 650 miles
  2) Easiest 10 hour drive I have made in a while
  3) Drawbacks on my trip (remember I am from PG, and don't like driving in Fayetteville) -- went thru Birmingham between 6:30 to 7:00 a.m. (not as bad as it would have been an hour later, but bad enough for me); the last 15 miles of I-22/Hwy 78 is thru Memphis to I-240, with stop lights about every mile; and, the inevitable road construction of I-40 between Memphis and Little Rock

Since my original question was about driving to 30A in Florida on this route, personally, I have to find out two things:
  1) The two lane highway (331 ?) from Montgomery to DeFuniak Springs -- what kind of drive will it be?
  2) Since according to my GPS, this route is about 50 miles longer, and you only save about 15 minutes -- is it really worth it to change the route?

I will probably make the trip this way in May, either coming or going; and then decide which is the best.

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 09:25:56 am »

Made the trip from Montgomery, AL  to Prairie Grove, Ar yesterday -- Montgomery to Birmingham, Birmingham to Memphis (I-22), from Memphis to the house.  Let me make a few observations about the route.
  1) Took me a little longer than it would most of you -- older, so I make more stops; probably don't drive as fast -- took 10 1/2 hours, 650 miles
  3) Drawbacks on my trip (remember I am from PG, and don't like driving in Fayetteville) -- went thru Birmingham between 6:30 to 7:00 a.m. (not as bad as it would have been an hour later, but bad enough for me); the last 15 miles of I-22/Hwy 78 is thru Memphis to I-240, with stop lights about every mile; and, the inevitable road construction of I-40 between Memphis and Little Rock

Since my original question was about driving to 30A in Florida on this route, personally, I have to find out two things:
  1) The two lane highway (331 ?) from Montgomery to DeFuniak Springs -- what kind of drive will it be?
  2) Since according to my GPS, this route is about 50 miles longer, and you only save about 15 minutes -- is it really worth it to change the route?

I will probably make the trip this way in May, either coming or going; and then decide which is the best.

I take 331 all the time, it's your typical 2 lane road, some trips better than others. It runs basically into Seaside, where I'm going, so it's more convenient. There are a couple of little towns you go into main street, stop, and make a 90 degree turn, but it's like driving 412 across northern Arkansas to me now, I know every place to pass, etc....

Hoot72

• Senior
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 09:33:11 am »

Well, we are going to Seagrove -- so 331 would be convenient for us also.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 10:03:00 am »

The last couple of times we've gone down there and used this route, it's been after midnight when we've crossed the bay bridge.  Both times we've driven through extremely thick fog near and over the bridge.  Not sure that's a factor for you, but if you've never made the drive before it can be a little unnerving.

Boarcephus

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2017, 09:18:45 am »

Appreciate this post but it just convinces me to keep my same route.  This route adds about 60-70 miles to my original route and that is one long ass day to begin with. 

A few years ago my brother and I took off for Florida in separate cars.   We were curious which way was the quickest so we left Fayetteville with him taking the pig trail while I took 71.  We both hit I-40 about the same time but he came out at Ozark while I came out at Alma.  We had cell phones and he was driving 70 while I was hitting 80-90.  Finally caught him at Pine Bluff, 240 miles later and decided it wasn't worth sweating out a $200 speeding ticket to drive that fast! 

GolfNut57

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2017, 04:30:20 pm »

Appreciate this post but it just convinces me to keep my same route.  This route adds about 60-70 miles to my original route and that is one long ass day to begin with. 

A few years ago my brother and I took off for Florida in separate cars.   We were curious which way was the quickest so we left Fayetteville with him taking the pig trail while I took 71.  We both hit I-40 about the same time but he came out at Ozark while I came out at Alma.  We had cell phones and he was driving 70 while I was hitting 80-90.  Finally caught him at Pine Bluff, 240 miles later and decided it wasn't worth sweating out a $200 speeding ticket to drive that fast!

Not to mention the added cost to your car insurance premiums.  ;)

Boarcephus

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2017, 05:03:32 pm »

Not to mention the added cost to your car insurance premiums.  ;)

LOL!!  Yep.  You can't drive fast enough to make up 60+ extra miles. Anymore, most of the trip through south AR is 4 lane and you can 70-75 which is basically interstate speed and the same through MS.    Just throttle down in LA and head on down the road but it's only 60 miles.

HawgWild

• Life is good
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 01:35:15 pm »

We've started going through Greenville, MS and avoiding LA altogether. Seems to get us there just as fast.

Boarcephus

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2017, 04:19:49 pm »

We've started going through Greenville, MS and avoiding LA altogether. Seems to get us there just as fast.

I checked that out one year and it's actually 2 miles further than the route through LA. Went down that way and came back the other and set my odometer to see what the difference actually was.  ;)     My thinking was most of the speed limits in MS are 65-70 MPH but not that route.  It was 55 same as LA.  It's a change though. 

holeinthewall

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 10:58:05 am »

We went down 22 to Atlanta in October.  No signs saying 22 went all the way to 65 I got just past the old exit onto 78 and looked in my mirror thinking I missed the exit.  Realized it must be open.  Plan is to extend it to the 59/459 merge.  That will be nice.  Saved at least 15 minutes.  And they have finally raised the speed limit on 20 in Eastern Alabama that was 55 for ever and a speed trap.

Going to Florida from Little Rock I would still go to Lake Village and cross over.   65 is divided most of the way now. 

If you are going to Orlando or anywhere past the pan handle. It is a wash on time. I have run from Little Rock to Orlando going both ways in right at 14 hours.

GolfNut57

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 02:43:47 pm »

We went down 22 to Atlanta in October.  No signs saying 22 went all the way to 65 I got just past the old exit onto 78 and looked in my mirror thinking I missed the exit.  Realized it must be open.  Plan is to extend it to the 59/459 merge.  That will be nice.  Saved at least 15 minutes.  And they have finally raised the speed limit on 20 in Eastern Alabama that was 55 for ever and a speed trap.

Going to Florida from Little Rock I would still go to Lake Village and cross over.   65 is divided most of the way now. 

If you are going to Orlando or anywhere past the pan handle. It is a wash on time. I have run from Little Rock to Orlando going both ways in right at 14 hours.

Well......technically......you took 15 hours driving there and then 13 hours driving back.............due to the time zone changing to Eastern and then back to Central on the way back.  8)

holeinthewall

• Senior
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2017, 03:08:16 pm »

Well......technically......you took 15 hours driving there and then 13 hours driving back.............due to the time zone changing to Eastern and then back to Central on the way back.  8)

That doesn't change the number of hours I spent driving. It did change the total time it took based on the clock.

GolfNut57

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2017, 03:24:01 pm »

That doesn't change the number of hours I spent driving. It did change the total time it took based on the clock.

Yeah I know.......the wife and I have gone to Daytona Beach every year for vacation the last 12 years or so and we have used both the route through Memphis and the one through Louisiana numerous times. Time wise they are about the same. Last year we tried the Greenville, MS. way there and back for something different. But either way I go we are always looking for the time zone change marker, which is usually near Tallahassee.  But as for the preferred route I guess it is through Memphis...........barely........

porque

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2017, 01:04:03 pm »

I've been going to Seagrove Beach every year for more than 20 years. By far the best way to get there from eastern Arkansas  is to go through Memphis and Birmingham to Montgomery. Contnue south on I 65 from Montgomery. 331 is a nightmare.  Keep south on I 65 until you get to Georgianna.  That's Highway 106 and it turns into Hwy 55 south.  You will take 55 south until you hit 331 in Florala which is on the Alabama Florida border.  From there it is a straight shot as others have said.

holeinthewall

• Senior
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2017, 09:14:58 pm »

Yeah I know.......the wife and I have gone to Daytona Beach every year for vacation the last 12 years or so and we have used both the route through Memphis and the one through Louisiana numerous times. Time wise they are about the same. Last year we tried the Greenville, MS. way there and back for something different. But either way I go we are always looking for the time zone change marker, which is usually near Tallahassee.  But as for the preferred route I guess it is through Memphis...........barely........

Skip Daytona go to New Smyrna if you like it less tourist. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas